PDA

View Full Version : Programs slow to open

Owley
10th February 2010, 03:57 AM
I am finding lately that it is taking a long time for programs to open, and even slow to use functions. Is there something I can do to get things back to normal?

ClockWork
10th February 2010, 04:11 AM
Well, assuming there isn't something horrible lurking around and operating in the background of your System, I've found that Coriolis iDefrag (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php) used as a Boot disk and run overnight appears to snap everything back to speedy gonzales.

However, it might be a good idea to have a look at your Activity Monitor, to see which app is taking up the most percentage of your CPU and RAM.

Open Macintosh HD -> open Applications folder -> open Utilities folder -> double-click on: Activity Monitor.

If you click once on the % CPU column heading with the tiny arrow pointing down, it will show you from largest usage to smallest usage, what is hogging your Apple Mac most.
Same thing with clicking on the Real Memory column heading.

Activity Monitor also lets you see your Disk Usage, so your Apple Mac might be too full, as well as your System Memory, to see how much you have free. These options are tabs at the bottom of the Activity Monitor.

DJY
10th February 2010, 05:28 PM
Some good advice above... processes is often my first look... but then I check how full is the hard drive?

When I notice things slowing down in check how full my primary hard drive is.

Mac OS X on my Mac Book Air seems to be significantly faster with more than 10% of my hard drive empty. Don't know if there is science behind it - but it works for me everytime!

Owley
11th February 2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the advise. I will try that defrag program. Not sure if this will help, but here are the numbers from my activity mon. Do these numbers seem reasonable. This is with the mon program open and Fire fox open.
System Memory:

Free: 1.22 gb
Wired: 732.5 mb
Active: 1.05 gb
inactive: 1.02 gb
Used: 2.79 gb
VM Size: 142.95 gb
page ins: 35.8 mb
page outs: 1.020 kb
swapused: 10.3 gb

Disk Usage

Space ulitized 137.92 GB
Free: 401.87 gb

Note that all my music, photos, downloads etc. are stored on external DH's

CPU %

the two most uead programs are FireFox at 5.0% and 198 mb of real memory and Activity mon 0.7% and 21.4 mb real memory. There are several other processes listes but they are small numbers.

I am not sure if this helps in any way, just wondering if these are relativy normal numbers?

Owley

Byrd
11th February 2010, 10:08 AM
All sounds OK to me Owley :) Memory usage always sounds excessive, but this is just how OS X handles things.

JB

ClockWork
11th February 2010, 10:42 AM
Yes - those processes all look normal and hunky-dory.

I use Coriolis iDefrag (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php) when I notice basic functions slowing down.

Coriolis has also made the iDefrag application dead easy to burn to a Bootable CD as the download actually begins the burning process automatically after opening the iDefrag application.

I wish other repairing apps would use Coriolis's simple system.

After burning to a CD, you'll need to boot it up off your machine - C key down on Restart - and it may take around 2 minutes to restart, and then, once you see the iDefrag window, click on your HDD in the side panel to highlight it and then click once on the top button called: Compact and scroll down to: Full Defrag.

Then click once on the top green Go button. It will begin the process.

I'd leave it either overnight or whenever you're not using it for 5 or 6 hours, or however long it takes, depending on your Apple Mac.

It only needs to be run once or twice a year.

Owley
13th February 2010, 06:21 AM
Thank you all very much for your help. I will give the iDefrag a try over the weekend.

O