PDA

View Full Version : Are (really) old powerbooks useful?

bartron
9th February 2010, 03:36 PM
In doing a cleanup I've come across 2 old powerbooks.

One is a powerbook 180 and the other is a powerbook 145b
Apple Macintosh PowerBook 180 Specs @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/stats/mac_powerbook180.html)
Apple Macintosh PowerBook 145b Specs @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/stats/mac_powerbook145b.html)

Both of them work although I only have one power supply. The 180 also has a laptop bag that seems to be made for it.

useful or landfill? Both of these machines are getting on 16 years old now.

iMic
9th February 2010, 03:52 PM
I doubt it. Even though the systems could probably still word process and the like, the connectors and other I/O wouldn't work with any current model devices, and getting data in and out of them is becoming increasingly difficult.

Someone may want them, but I doubt they're useful anymore.

~Coxy
9th February 2010, 04:22 PM
Not useful, but not landfill either. They are fun machines to tinker with and I'm sure a collector would gladly take them off your hands.

Byrd
9th February 2010, 06:34 PM
They are incredibly useful for Shufflepuck Cafe :) Apparently writers like old Powerbooks because they provide no online distraction, the screens can be seen easily in daylight, and in their day provided great battery life over a RAM disk (with backlighting turned off).

Someone will want them (I'd love to play with the 180), but for modern day use they're absolutely useless.

JB

bartron
9th February 2010, 07:55 PM
Well they are fun to tinker with. I guess 'useful' is subjective but even then I wouldn't imply use for a daily task. For starters the batteries are shot...

Will move to the FS thread with some pics....but essentially whoever can pay post can have them both.

LCGuy
9th February 2010, 09:29 PM
I second the others - for modern day use, they are totally useless, but to someone with an interest in the older Macs, or who needs to run older software (for example, a teacher with older educational titles, there was some really good stuff done for machines of this era), they are very useful.

Just...whatever you do - don't throw out that 180 - that has to be the only PowerBook 180 I've seen in years that doesn't suffer from "tunnel-vision". (an issue with PowerBook 170 and 180 displays that causes the screen corners to go dark after the machine has been running for a while)

icant
9th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Could be useful if you need to access floppy disks.