PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Cards for a mac book

Castingcrowns
8th February 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi, I am very new to Apple, and I have the loan of an "IMAC" and like it very much.... And all of you went Doh!! How many times have we haerd that before.......

Anyway I have to give the "IMAC back now, so I am looking at purchasing a mac book, but one thing I want to do is upgrade the graphics card from the std Geforce 9400 to the GTX285

I have googled and found it is a possible request. This link tells me so
EVGA GeForce GTX 285 - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/TW387ZM/A)

So I when to "buy online" and I find that is no option to upgrade yr graphic card.So does mean I need to go to the Apple shop, or have I got all my facts wrong.

My 1st post here so please forgive me if I broken any rules. But I tried to use the forrum search but I got Nil results

Thankyou for time and replies

Cheers

leon
8th February 2010, 08:09 PM
You can't upgrade any graphics chips in the Macbook range.
The EVGA GTX285 is for the Mac Pro tower.

Your stuck with whatever Apple put in their laptops.
With the Macbook it is 9400m
With the 13" and lower spec 15" Macbook Pro it is 9400m
In the higher spec Macbook Pro's you get the 9400m and 9600GT.

That is about as good as it gets.

Castingcrowns
8th February 2010, 09:28 PM
Cheers Leon, Looks like I will be sticking to a PC them :(

ford.boy
8th February 2010, 09:37 PM
Keep in mind the macbooks are getting a fairly heft bump in specs soon if the rumours are to be believed.

LCGuy
8th February 2010, 10:41 PM
Cheers Leon, Looks like I will be sticking to a PC them :(

Just to let you know, a PC laptop won't allow you to upgrade the graphics either. There's no standard for laptop graphics "cards" like there is PCIe in desktops...I've actually never heard of a laptop with upgradable graphics, no matter what laptop you buy, all laptops graphics chips are soldered direct to the motherboard, and are therefore not upgradable.

mab
8th February 2010, 11:55 PM
Just to let you know, a PC laptop won't allow you to upgrade the graphics either. There's no standard for laptop graphics "cards" like there is PCIe in desktops...I've actually never heard of a laptop with upgradable graphics, no matter what laptop you buy, all laptops graphics chips are soldered direct to the motherboard, and are therefore not upgradable.

Yes, but with PC laptops you can get more powerful graphic cards that you typically get in Apple Laptops, but you pay for it in size and weight.

Brains
9th February 2010, 08:43 PM
Just to let you know, a PC laptop won't allow you to upgrade the graphics either.

Not quite true, me ol' china.

Some makers of laptops have used NVIDIA's MXM (Mobile PCI-Express Module) to hold their machines' graphics chips so that it is easier to make a greater number of options available for any given model, instead of making almost identical mainboards but with different GPUs soldered to them. Apple's iMac uses MXM, as an example.

The problem with MXM is that whilst the connector format and electronics have been standardised, NVIDIA neglected to impose a formfactor standard, so every maker who adopts MXM are free to shape their MXM card any way they see fit, to make it fit. Apple are no exception, the MXM cards in the iMac extend off to one side and have this long heatpipe and exchanger permanently fixed to them, whereas Alienware's MXM cards are tall and thin and rely on a separate cooling system. Sure, you can change an MXM GPU over, but only if you stay with the original ODM (Original Design Manufacturer).

In other words, a nice idea, but horribly implemented, and it's not a true industry standard.

This article (http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/01/25/mxm_failure_insiders_at_ati_nvidia_speak_off_recor d) over at HardOCP explains much.