PDA

View Full Version : Adsl Router Issues

Lammie
19th August 2005, 01:54 PM
My iMac keeps losing its connection to my router, the only way I can get it to reconnect is to restart the computer and/or turn the modem off and then back on. It's a pain in the butt to have to keep doing this!!

The network preferences panel says the following:

(Yellow Light) "Built in Ethernet is currently active. Built in ethernet has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet"

The connection usually drops out after leaving the computer inactive for an hour or two and sometimes it's inactive right after I boot up.

My iMac G5 (running 10.4.2) is connected via ethernet to a Billion 5102 ADSL router, which also is connected to a PC.

Can anyone help!!!

macmelly
19th August 2005, 02:00 PM
I think I may have had the same problem with my router which is also connected to a PC (mac via ethernet - pc via USB). Ensure that you have enabled NAT in the modem settings.

W2ttsy
19th August 2005, 03:36 PM
does your modem support simultanious access to the internet over both USB and ethernet?

if it doesnt, then id be guessing that the drop out is occuring when the PC is accessing the net, and it is using the USB port, thus disabling ethernet.
have you noticed if you lose the net on a PC when the mac has an active connection?

if this is the problem, then a simple 4 port switch (can be had for cheaps) will allow you to run ethernet to both your machines, and negate the need for a USB connection.

just my thoughts.

W2ttsy

Lammie
20th August 2005, 01:24 AM
No, it's a 4 port ethernet modem. No USB at all.

Do I have to configure any settings in NAT? Or just have it active?

macmelly
21st August 2005, 05:05 PM
That's different to my problem. But try just having NAT enabled - don't configure anything. It sounds as though one connection is timing out the other.