PDA

View Full Version : Any brands for hard drive?

MacRobbo
7th February 2010, 10:49 AM
I need to upgrade my MBP HDD, do any brands work. (Ill make sure its 2.5")

gareth
7th February 2010, 11:50 AM
yep any brands. make sure its 9.5mm-height biggest you can get is 640GB

MissionMan
7th February 2010, 12:19 PM
As gareth said, only thing to be weary of is whether its a 9.5mm or 12.5mm. MBPs only fit the 9.5mm.

LCGuy
8th February 2010, 07:44 AM
As others said, any brand will work so long as the drive is 9.5mm high. I personally like Western Digital myself....for years I was always a Seagate man, but they have had a bit of trouble in the past 12 months, all the drives I've bought since have been WDs, and they've been nothing short of fantastic.

The_Hawk
8th February 2010, 08:14 AM
I'm running a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM (ST9500420AS) in my 17" MBP, can't say as I notice any speed increase, or at least nothing that makes me jump up and down and say it's worth it. There is more vibration than the old stock 500GB Hitachi unit, but I can't say as I have noticed a dramatic reduction in battery life, maybe slight... but same as speed nothing I'm jumping up and down about.

I'm considering (although I want to see one in action first) a move to a SSD. The 256GB are "affordable-ish", but I'd be pushing the edges of space I need, although I would then consider removing the optical drive and putting in one of those HDD bay things so I can get SPEED + space ;)
I'd give it a bash first to see if I can either live with less onboard space or carrying an external HDD before ripping out the drive.

stewiesno1
8th February 2010, 08:51 AM
@ The_Hawk

If you get an external drive and are looking at needing a big system boost, then maybe one of these will sate your need for speed.
HyperOs Systems (http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/?gclid=CL3IzfGO4Z8CFcJd4wodDzS5Gw)

The HyperDrive5 is the fastest Internal Hard Disk in the World from a seek time perspective.

It has less than 10 microseconds read access time and less than 10 microseconds write access time.

It does not - as the best Flash SSDs claim - offer... 'RAM-like performance.'

It offers RAM performance.

If that doesn't solve your IO bottleneck nothing will!

800x faster at finding files than a 10,000 rpm SATA WD Raptor WD740ADFD
125x faster at serving files than a WD Raptor.

Not cheap but then neither are the best SSDs which this would appear to trounce.

Stewie

The_Hawk
8th February 2010, 09:22 AM
@ The_Hawk

If you get an external drive and are looking at needing a big system boost, then maybe one of these will sate your need for speed.
HyperOs Systems (http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/?gclid=CL3IzfGO4Z8CFcJd4wodDzS5Gw)

Not cheap but then neither are the best SSDs which this would appear to trounce.

Stewie

These sort of things have been around for a while now, the first ones were back in the DDR days and many people were waiting for the DDR2 version, Gigabyte i-RAM if I remember right. The i-RAM only had four slots giving up to 4GB space (don't recall if they went larger). They decimated all in benches with near instant Windows XP boot times, but other than a slim install of the OS they weren't really big enough to get many apps installed.

The model you list has 8 slots, sure you *could* get 8 x 8GB DDR2 modules for 64GB of space, but you also need to donate a kidney and maybe a lung to get them :P 2GB modules would only give 16GB space which is *almost* enough. It would be a wonderful wonderful toy to have, but you want to schedule a full backup image to run every night *just in case*...

Anyway, the biggest problem is that it's designed for a desktop, so not so much an option for me ;)

stewiesno1
8th February 2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah I know they are not for laptops but I was going by this line...

I'd give it a bash first to see if I can either live with less onboard space or carrying an external HDD before ripping out the drive.

Stewie