PDA

View Full Version : Help with MBP purchase. Please.

lauraelizaebth
7th February 2010, 01:34 AM
Hi,

I realise that this question has probably been asked about a million times before so please dont hate me.

I've been waiting for the refresh of the MBP line but uni starts up again in 2 weeks and I really need a laptop before then as I've had to move out of home for uni this year and my computer died a couple of months ago. So I just cant wait any longer.

I'm mainly just going to be using it for uni stuff like internet research and word processing, also listening to music (my library isn't big, maybe 2000 songs) and watching the occasional DVD. I'm interested in getting the low end MBP and I was just wondering if the specs on it are enough for what I want to do? (memory and hardrive, stuff like that - sorry Im not the most computer minded.)

2GB Memory
160GB hard drive

I realise that you get a bigger hardrive in the current MacBook for less but it's white and plastic and being me I feel like the aluminum will fare better.

Anyway, any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dangelovich
7th February 2010, 06:53 AM
The great thing about the Mac lineup, is that they're all well-speced machines for basic everyday computer use (which it sounds like you're doing).

If your needs change later on, you can always upgrade the memory and hard drive, so don't worry.

I'd say go for it.

wholikespotatoes
8th February 2010, 01:56 PM
May be worth seeing if any updates occur this week... I'd say there is a good chance by Wednesday ;)

cod_long111
8th February 2010, 02:35 PM
Hey, i m the newbie here and properly can not create new threat though ><. So that's why i try to ask you guys in this threat (sorry for the owner of this threat). I want to buy a iMac 27" with these option: core i7, ram 8Gb (2x4Gb) and HD4850, i m in melbourne and dunno where can i get the best price (through negotiation i think), i have seen a post with discount up to 400 Aud on a iMac 24' and he did mention about the store and the seller Eddie: its on Myer... but i dunno which Myer (highpoint i guest). So u guys can give me some tips about this issue.
p/s: 1st i tended to try on Streetwise Australia: Apple Macs (http://www.streetwise.com.au/apple-macs-c-25.html) which is located on Glenferrie road.

glitch
8th February 2010, 04:45 PM
Threats will get you no where!

The margin on Macs for the reseller is only about 10% so you wont get $400 off one unless someone is selling at a loss.

Some big stores like JB's & Myers do sometimes have loss leading sales of Macs, you wont get $400 off, but you can sometimes get 10%. - would make the i7 about $2629

cod_long111
8th February 2010, 07:46 PM
Threats will get you no where!

The margin on Macs for the reseller is only about 10% so you wont get $400 off one unless someone is selling at a loss.

Some big stores like JB's & Myers do sometimes have loss leading sales of Macs, you wont get $400 off, but you can sometimes get 10%. - would make the i7 about $2629

Yeah, thaks alot man, i dont know, maybe i mistake because he paid with golden card ( or something i dunno) and so he got 2 years warranty without extra payment, so he assumed he had nearly 400 off. Btw, 2629 it s kinda good price though, cuz with the option above i mentioned (i7, 4850 and 8gb ram) the price should be 3005 aud (price from streetwise.com.au). And another thing, it s maybe off the topic but when i try to build a computer myself (separate parks and obviously not a Mac) with the same price i got a extremely high customisation: core i7 920, 6GB ram tripple channel @ 1333, Hd 5870 1Gb, 1.5Tb Hdd, 1000W PSU modular....the only thing that the PC can compare to Mac now is the Monitor (Samsung 23') :). And dont get me wrong mates, i m a Mac addictive but also love build a Pc myself, thats it. Just looking around and get some info here :), any more suggestion guys??

nightelves
8th February 2010, 10:50 PM
Yeh wait for the MBP i7 dudes. Those should be sufficient you for the next two years.

icant
9th February 2010, 01:05 AM
FYI, that the MacBook Pros were re-priced on 21st October 2009 (when the 27" iMac was launched).

The AUD was 0. 922 USD then. It's sitting at 0.86 now. I'm guessing that upgraded machines will cost more than the current line up.

cod_long111
9th February 2010, 03:04 AM
FYI, that the MacBook Pros were re-priced on 21st October 2009 (when the 27" iMac was launched).

The AUD was 0. 922 USD then. It's sitting at 0.86 now. I'm guessing that upgraded machines will cost more than the current line up.

Exactly man, we say the price goes down but the currency value goes up (and a lot >.<), think i will get a iMac just now, but the point is which store ~~:cool1: