PDA

View Full Version : How to connect a MacBook to a Samsung LCD monitor?

cat_in_japan
6th February 2010, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I purchased a Samsung LCD monitor (P1950) to connect to my macbook.

I connected the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter to the mac, then connected that to what I believe is a DVI cable (to extend it as the Apple adapter is so short).

The LCD monitor says 'Check Signal Cable'. The MacBook doesn't seem to detect the monitor through the adapter when I go into System Preferences > Display.

The adapter also doesn't click in very well into the mac, either.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and how I can get them to talk to each other?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Cybix
6th February 2010, 11:25 AM
you need 'mini displayport to DVI' if you are using a DVI cable to the monitor input.

macuzer
6th February 2010, 12:18 PM
VGA and DVI ports are quite different. VGA has 3 rows of round pins/holes, whereas DVI has square 'holes' as well as a horizontal pin on one side. If you monitor is DVI only then you need the Apple Mini Display port to DVI adapter, and the you should plug in a DVI to DVI cable to connect to the monitor. I'm nor sure how you're connecting things if you've got a VGA on one and and a DVI on the other.... unless you're got another adapter to do this.

choy
7th February 2010, 11:57 PM
As others have commented, don't double adapt your cables - according to your post you're doing this:

mini Displayport -> VGA -> DVI

You should only convert once
ie
mini Displayport -> DVI

or
miniDisplayport -> VGA (your samsung monitor should have a separate VGA port)

also check that you have the right adapter. There is a miniDVI adapter -> vga as well and this doesn't work on your mac (I am assuming a current model macbook(aluminium) ). It sounds suspect that you say it doesn't fit well as it should be a snug connection - maybe you have the wrong adaptor.