PDA

View Full Version : How much will an iPad depreciate in 1 month?

Bogus Jimmy
5th February 2010, 07:13 PM
I know this is all complete speculation but there is a lot of that going on right now so why the hell not.

If it isn't obvious already, I'm trying to work out how much a Wi-Fi only iPad will be worth after a month so it can be traded in for a Wi-Fi 3G version.

The only history we can go on is people's previous experience with the iPhone but there are some unique circumstances here.

Since we don't even know how much it's going to cost here, let's just assume a 20% premium (plus rounding) so a 16GB Wi-Fi would cost $599. Also assume mint condition with box, manual, etc.

EDIT: My guess is $50.

Cybix
5th February 2010, 07:15 PM
I would say $100 depreciation, regardless of which model

tcn33
5th February 2010, 07:19 PM
Probably depends on how scarce iPad supply is. If it's still tricky to find iPads like it was in the first few months of the iPhone 3G, you might only lose $50.

cosmichobo
5th February 2010, 07:20 PM
I think you'd go close to getting full value, given the prices you still pay for iPhones, and after only 1 month.

I'm guessing demand will be high still after 1 month from release... probably hard to find new stock... so a 2nd hand one will be in high demand too.

Bogus Jimmy
5th February 2010, 07:21 PM
Probably depends on how scarce iPad supply is. If it's still tricky to find iPads like it was in the first few months of the iPhone 3G, you might only lose $50.

Good point. Also probably depends on your proximity to an Apple Store/reseller.

bartron
5th February 2010, 07:30 PM
Also the iPad won't depreciate like a computer will. An iPad purchased on release will be the same as an iPad purchased 6 or 12 months from now and as mentioned if stocks are short initially you'd lose minimal if anything (in the case of no stock you could potentially sell it for the same price as you bought it for)

Cybix
5th February 2010, 07:36 PM
sure, if supply isn't there.. and they are hard to get, then perhaps very little loss when re-selling. But lets face it, if you are in the market for an iPad, would you save $50 or $100 and buy a used one that someone else has had their greasy hands all over? or.... buy a brand new one, in the box, with that fresh china stench inside?

mmmmm *dreams of opening new apple product*

I don't know about anyone else, but opening a brand new apple product from a sealed package, is a spiritual experience for me.... perhaps I should get out more? :)

wolfie
5th February 2010, 07:46 PM
i think you cant compare this to the same as iphones.
the market for the ipad intially is going to be much smaller.

ill say 20 per cent otherwise why would people bother getting a second hand if its not worthwhile.
intially the only people who will buy it are apple fanboys, gadget freaks and wealthy ppl.
All of them are smart and aware.
the only reason iphones keep their vaule is because too many dumb people want it, without research.

Bogus Jimmy
5th February 2010, 07:51 PM
the only reason iphones keep their vaule is because too many dumb people want it, without research.

I think this same market will exist with the iPad.

melbmac
5th February 2010, 07:51 PM
It's going to depend mostly on supply (and obviously relative demand).

I would say you'll drop a fair bit of coin fairly quickly as I doubt demand will be all that high.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

wolfie
5th February 2010, 08:15 PM

maybe eventually, cant see it happen intially.

grorr76
5th February 2010, 08:59 PM
here's a thought wait a few weeks and get the 3g one you want. why would anyone want a second hand one when they can get one new for a few dollars more. Id say you will loose a fair bit if you do that. Second hand tech just doesn't hold its initial sale value.

6andy6
5th February 2010, 11:33 PM

Along with the people that buy second hand toasters and used dvd players.

There IS going to be a market to buy second hand appliances???? Really???

TheKeddi
6th February 2010, 06:48 AM
intially the only people who will buy it are apple fanboys, gadget freaks and wealthy ppl.
All of them are smart and aware.

There will be loads of people who are not fanboys that want it on launch, I know half of my family that do not have macs are going to get it on launch.

With all the hype and the fact that there are so many iPhone owners out there now, this thing might surprise everyone and sell like hotcakes!

thenewblack
6th February 2010, 07:43 AM
Apple iPads are internationally unlocked and under customs' AU$1000 duty threshold - so I'm guessing with Australia's currently favourable currency exchange rates, there'll be a LOT of these bought on eBay from the US or brought back by travellers. (only of course, if Apple Australia chooses, as they have in the past, to gouge Australian customers)

dolbinau
6th February 2010, 07:54 AM
maybe eventually, cant see it happen intially.

Neither. The popular opinion, i.e. every single person I have talked to besides Apple fans, think it sucks.

grorr76
6th February 2010, 10:15 PM
Neither. The popular opinion, i.e. every single person I have talked to besides Apple fans, think it sucks.

I have a long memory and if memory serves thats what lay people said about the iphone before its launch now look around everyone has them there everywhere. Once people play with the ipad it will sell like hot cakes half the experience is had having it actually in your hand.

dolbinau
7th February 2010, 08:23 AM
I have a long memory and if memory serves thats what lay people said about the iphone before its launch now look around everyone has them there everywhere. Once people play with the ipad it will sell like hot cakes half the experience is had having it actually in your hand.

Are you talking about the iPhone or iPhone 3G? The iPhone 3G always had release hype.

If the original iPhone was released here on a $700 AUD upfront 24 month contract (oh my god just putting this in words makes me ashamed of Apple), it wouldn't have been that popular.

Byron Creek
8th February 2010, 08:16 AM
mmmmm *dreams of opening new apple product*

I don't know about anyone else, but opening a brand new apple product from a sealed package, is a spiritual experience for me.... perhaps I should get out more? :)

Not at all, I know exactly where you're coming from there. Even the unboxing of a new power adaptor for my previous MacBook was a wonderful experience.

I just love the way Apple package things, even humble things like power adaptors and earphones.

I'm very much looking forward to unboxing my new iPad!

Leopard
8th February 2010, 09:30 AM
Not at all, I know exactly where you're coming from there. Even the unboxing of a new power adaptor for my previous MacBook was a wonderful experience.

I just love the way Apple package things, even humble things like power adaptors and earphones.

I'm very much looking forward to unboxing my new iPad!

Mmmm...And my wife reckons I"m WEIRD.Glad to see I am not the only one.
Sometimes its better than SEX. :crazy: