PDA

View Full Version : Price gouging Optus

HM1956
5th February 2010, 01:40 PM
Went on holiday with my family to NZ. Six of us all on a plan with Optus which includes free calls between us. Optus charged $1,200 for calls between the phones while we were away, all making local calls in the same country, calls which would normally be free here in Aus. Accounts dept said bad luck you have to pay. Goodbye Optus!

Cybix
5th February 2010, 01:55 PM
ouch. Maybe next time get some local pre-paid SIM cards in the country you are traveling to...

yinyang
5th February 2010, 02:03 PM
that's a lot, but then did you check the roaming call rates for NZ...

Optus - Personal - Post-Paid AutoRoam (http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_woRHS&FP=/personal/mobile/usingyourmobileoverseas/postpaidautoroam&site=personal)

your free calls do not apply when you're roaming - never have done, and I doubt they ever will....

samuelowens
5th February 2010, 02:06 PM
Yup - Floptus is merely passing on the costs of the other carrier in this case. Not much you can do.

MrJesseRoss
5th February 2010, 02:07 PM
Well, yeah. Free calls in Australia does not mean free calls in New Zealand, or indeed anywhere else in the world.

You should probably have checked what their international roaming rates are.

gehenna
5th February 2010, 02:17 PM
At this stage it's pretty much a given that roaming to another country while still using your original SIM is going to be expensive. Be glad you weren't using data at the same time!

Still, I don't see this as being the carriers fault, you really should have done your homework before leaving. It's naive to assume your call plan will apply outside your country of origin.

Granny Smith
5th February 2010, 03:27 PM
I can see why the OP thought what they did ... a local call is a local call, if you do it from a fixed-line phone, so applying the some logic to a mobile situation is not so stupid. Yeah, maybe they shoulda read the fine print, but not automatically assuming that a call from your mobile to one nearby in Australia is going to cost less than a call from your mobile to one nearby when you're both in New Zealand is, I reckon, an understandable mistake.

gehenna
5th February 2010, 03:34 PM
but not automatically assuming that a call from your mobile to one nearby in Australia is going to cost less than a call from your mobile to one nearby when you're both in New Zealand is, I reckon, an understandable mistake.

I would think the first sign that what you're saying holds no water is that when you look at what network your connected to it won't be saying Optus. It'll most likely say something like VodaNZ, Telecom, or 2Degrees. Once that happens you can be pretty sure your "local" calling won't apply anymore. The second and more obvious sign is that you're not in Australia anymore, you're in another country where Optus doesn't exist.

Edge
5th February 2010, 03:37 PM
Optus is merely passing on the costs of the other carrier in this case.
How do you know? Why would Optus (and every other carrier for that matter) not take this opportunity to make a tidy profit? There is no way they are merely passing this on.

gehenna
5th February 2010, 03:39 PM
How do you know? Why would Optus (and every other carrier for that matter) not take this opportunity to make a tidy profit? There is no way they are merely passing this on.

It's more a case of the roaming network carriers trying to make a tidy profit out of Optus, who in turn are recouping those costs from the end user. Networks charge an arm and a leg to their competitors for the use of their infrastructure. It's bad enough within the same country, once you add global roaming to the mix the costs for borrowing network space skyrocket.

melbmac
5th February 2010, 03:41 PM
Ahhh well, can't say they didn't warn you, I'm sure the costs were right there in print.

I reckon this thread needs a title change.

babypoppop
5th February 2010, 03:46 PM
wow.. if there's such a deal, i should get all my relatives to sign up to optus and travel round the world with me and incur no cost!

if you think that's possible then you aren't living on earth, where capitalism is rampant.

optus is relatively bad, but blaming optus for your own mistakes is just not right. and yes, you're more than happy to leave optus but the other telcos won't give you free local calls to your family members in NZ or anywhere else in the world too.

gehenna
5th February 2010, 03:51 PM
that's a lot, but then did you check the roaming call rates for NZ...

I've no idea how much they were calling each other but at $3.50 per minute to make the call (yes they will be charged the International Call charge because they're calling an Australian roaming phone from an Australian roaming phone), and another $1.45 a minute for the other phone to receive it, it'll quickly mount up. Then you've got sms which will be about $0.80 a pop and we all know how easy it is to send a few hundred of them over the course of a week.

jesse
5th February 2010, 04:56 PM
This sucks for the OP, but mobile phones are the WORST thing to take overseas. Second to that are ATM cards and mobile gadgets (because you'll lose them).

Even the experience traveller often falls foul to at least one of the three things above.

Cybix
5th February 2010, 04:57 PM
you almost have to ask yourself if the OP is from an Optus competitor... post count and all... hrmm

gikku
5th February 2010, 05:01 PM
This sucks for the OP, but mobile phones are the WORST thing to take overseas. Second to that are ATM cards...

without wanting to derail the thread.
local sim, wherever possible (ie. not Japan), and
ING Everyday Visa debit.

largely solved...

jesse
5th February 2010, 05:05 PM
I'd also like to add that the OP would probably be charged the same, if not more with any other Telco.

With the exception of Vodafone and 3 if you end up in a european country on their networks it's sometimes cheaper.

TheKeddi
5th February 2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I too can't see that it's Optus' fault here, everyone knows, or "Should" know what charges are incurred in another country.

Exocet
5th February 2010, 05:13 PM
The reason it is expensive, is because all calls are routed through the home network.

MrJesseRoss
5th February 2010, 06:01 PM
you almost have to ask yourself if the OP is from an Optus competitor... post count and all... hrmm

Well, if it's a rival trying to attack Optus, they're not doing a very good job of it.

cosmichobo
5th February 2010, 07:00 PM
When I was 19 (circa 1997) my father's mobile phone (Motorola brick) had battery issues. I figured flattening the battery would be a good idea, then a full recharge. But "standby" didn't waste battery quick enough... I know - I'll call the talking clock - that's a local call...

When the bill came in, I had a lot of explaining to do...

BUT that was 13 years ago... Surely mobile phone plans are a bit more "out there" into our culture than they were in the mid 90's...

Yes, the OP is just wanting to try lash out against Optus for their own stupidity...

andyrb
9th February 2010, 01:00 PM
As much as I dislike Optus, I really can't see how they are to blame here because you didn't check up before you went away.

6andy6
11th February 2010, 09:15 PM
lol...I am wetting myself laughing at this.
Yet another consumer blaming the carrier for services that have always charged for like this when roaming oversea's. No its nt Optus's fault - its your fault for not checking these things out.

Not sure why you say goodbye Optus...who you going to go to???? They all charge pretty much the same inflated prices (mobile calls under roaming would have to be one of the biggest cartel rip offs out there).

Vojtin
11th February 2010, 09:42 PM
LOL, someone is stupid, sorry.