PDA

View Full Version : Itunes playlists on Ipad

Mal
4th February 2010, 01:03 PM
Hi everyone...new on the forum here and have a question if anyone may be able to help.

I work as a musician, currently using playlists within Itunes on a notebook computer for my backing tracks. This is far easier/quicker than using my ipod classic, as I can select a song very quickly as compared to the scroll wheel on the ipod.

The ipad would be much more convenient than a Notebook, as it's size would make it possible to sit on my music stand.
Would anyone know if playlists within itunes will be similar to those using the notebook. (I doubt if the keyboard could be used at the same time as Itunes?)

I realise the ipad has not yet been released, so I guess it is all speculation, but any help appreciated

Mal

Japester
4th February 2010, 01:26 PM
... I work as a musician, currently using playlists within iTunes on a notebook computer for my backing tracks. This is far easier/quicker than using my iPod classic, as I can select a song very quickly as compared to the scroll wheel on the iPod.

The ipad would be much more convenient than a Notebook, as it's size would make it possible to sit on my music stand.

Would anyone know if playlists within itunes will be similar to those using the notebook. (I doubt if the keyboard could be used at the same time as Itunes?)

I realise the ipad has not yet been released, so I guess it is all speculation, but any help appreciated....

Extrapolating from the behaviour of all iPods, you should be able to sync playlists, and their contents, to the iPad. As for interacting with the playlist, I imagine it's just scrolling like on an iPhone. Is this what you mean?

One thing I've seen from screenshots is that you can create playlists on the fly, not just "On-the-Go" playlists but real playlists that you can rename. You can't do that on any iPod. Not sure if that helps.

Mal
4th February 2010, 01:36 PM
As for interacting with the playlist, I imagine it's just scrolling like on an iPhone. Is this what you mean?

On the iphone the scrolling is done via the ipod application, which is quite slow if the playlist is very long. What I was wondering is if there is an Itunes interface for playlists (like I use on the notebook) Finding songs this way is much quicker with itunes than ipod. (sorry if this sounds ambiguous :o )

Japester
4th February 2010, 01:48 PM
On the iphone the scrolling is done via the ipod application, which is quite slow if the playlist is very long. What I was wondering is if there is an Itunes interface for playlists (like I use on the notebook) Finding songs this way is much quicker with itunes than ipod. (sorry if this sounds ambiguous :o )

I get you. The iPod application on the iPad does resemble iTunes. It would be great if you could search using the keyboard. Not a bad idea, given that you've got the real estate for such an interface. Hope it happens.

LennyX
4th February 2010, 03:05 PM
From the screenshots (http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/) it looks like you'll be able to search with the keyboard. It really does look a lot like iTunes on the desktop.

http://images.apple.com/ipad/gallery/images/gallery-software-ipod-20100127.jpg

Mal
4th February 2010, 03:51 PM
yep, looking good. I have over 8000 songs but with the search function/keyboard it will be a breeze to locate what I want. Counting the days for release ;)

thanks guys

Mal