PDA

View Full Version : ipad file suport confirmed by apple.

Superman
3rd February 2010, 07:23 PM
Just found this little snippit in apple's deisgn guidleines. :

Downplay File-Handling Operations

Although iPad applications can allow people to create and manipulate files and share them with a computer (when the device is docked), this does not mean that people should have a sense of the file system on iPad.

benzoenator
3rd February 2010, 07:37 PM
I thought they were under NDA?

bartron
3rd February 2010, 08:17 PM
I thought they were under NDA?

Presumably it's in the doco for the SDK which is freely available.

With iWork it would be silly to assume it wouldn't have some form of file capabilities. What will be interesting is if Apple allow disk mode so we can store any file we want.

Aladdin
3rd February 2010, 08:44 PM
What will be interesting is if Apple allow disk mode so we can store any file we want.

Of course not . . . that would go against the whole idea of the device.

I think we'll have to store files via the app interface. That is, you can save a Pages file you've created or edited on the 'Pages for iPad' app. And presumably save it onto MobileMe.

benb
4th February 2010, 06:17 AM
Of course not . . . that would go against the whole idea of the device.

I think we'll have to store files via the app interface. That is, you can save a Pages file you've created or edited on the 'Pages for iPad' app. And presumably save it onto MobileMe.
No the iPad will allow you to move files onto it via USB as well as MobileMe or Wifi. It mount on your desktop like ipods of old and you can transfer files across and each app will "know" about the files it can read from the shared location. See here (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/29/apple_reinventing_file_access_wireless_sharing_for _ipad.html).

This change in iPhone OS 3.2 is why apps like Stanza have had to remove their USB syncing (which used private APIs). The next versions of apps like this will use the new shared file location...

Aladdin
4th February 2010, 12:07 PM
From your link, it looks like the iPad will mount on the Mac desktop, and you can drag documents on your Mac across to the iPad icon. Sounds like this is limited to the document file types that can be accessed by particular apps on the iPad.

It doesn't look like a true disk mode where the iPad effectively behaves like a 'USB drive'.

tcn33
4th February 2010, 12:14 PM
According to AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/29/apple_reinventing_file_access_wireless_sharing_for _ipad.html):

On the desktop system, the iPad will show up as a share containing a documents folder for each app that enables sharing. For example, a user with iWork apps will be able to wirelessly connect to their iPad as if it were a directly connected drive, and simply drag spreadsheet, presentation, or word processing files between their local system and the mobile device as desired.

So inside the iPad folder there would be a Stanza folder, a Pages folder, etc etc.

skritter
4th February 2010, 08:16 PM
I dont think there are folders for apps, but rather file types if any folders at all. I am sure the suggestion is that ANY file type supported by a specific app will be availble to that app when you use it.

tcn33
4th February 2010, 08:37 PM
I think "containing a documents folder for each app" was pretty unambiguous.

entropy
4th February 2010, 09:24 PM
wouldn't that get pretty annoying after a while as the number of files grew? Or does it allow you to have subfolders under each app folder?

~Coxy
5th February 2010, 10:42 AM
wouldn't that get pretty annoying after a while as the number of files grew? Or does it allow you to have subfolders under each app folder?

Apparently average people don't understand the concept of files and folders.

Mecha
5th February 2010, 12:19 PM
I dont think there are folders for apps, but rather file types if any folders at all. I am sure the suggestion is that ANY file type supported by a specific app will be availble to that app when you use it.

I think "containing a documents folder for each app" was pretty unambiguous.

Jolly good show.

conufsed
5th February 2010, 12:24 PM
Presumably it's in the doco for the SDK which is freely available.

With iWork it would be silly to assume it wouldn't have some form of file capabilities. What will be interesting is if Apple allow disk mode so we can store any file we want.

SDK for iPad is under NDA