PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen Of Death

natakim
18th August 2005, 04:35 PM
Christ on a bike, I just turned my emac and instead of loading up osx 10.2 it goes to a black screen. There is a large white cursor in the top left corner and it appears to be in 'console showing darwin:BSD'. I am asked to lgin/ password. What the hell is going on. I have rented this machine from flexi-rent and the lease just expired, surely it is not a part of a rental machine set-up. Very confused!!!!

Disko
18th August 2005, 04:45 PM
Pinned: Black Message "You need to Restart..." comes up ('http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3818')

^^ This is covered in the pinned topic. It is called a Kernel Panic.

Mac Aid
18th August 2005, 05:23 PM
Time for an Archive install.

natakim
18th August 2005, 06:02 PM
Just an update, I checked the hardware using cd, no problems. Keeps asking for login and password but is rejecting them, I can't seem to do anything else as I can't get past login.

yitzyf
18th August 2005, 06:43 PM
You can reset the password using the Install CD - I can't remember which menu it's under when you start up from the CD. Here's the OSX Help instructions:

Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.

Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.
Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.
Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
Set the user name of your original administrator account.
Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

Enter a new password.
Click Save.

natakim
18th August 2005, 07:12 PM
Put in the install disk, I can't change the password (won't accept the save) and when I try a re-install I can't choose a location, ie the hard drive does not appear on the select a destination option. fuck me

natakim
18th August 2005, 09:30 PM
Just for the record, using the intall cd I check disk utility and found that the hard drive wasn't mounted. No idea how that came about, took the opportunity to install tiger as I've been meaning to do it for a while but have kept putting it off. Question though, how does the hard drive unmount itself????? This is an emac with only one hard drive.

macmate
18th August 2005, 10:03 PM
many things can cause that sort of error..... one this is a corrupt boot sector or catalogue (b-tree and such). it will only mount if the computer sees it as a supported format.

AusMac
19th August 2005, 12:07 AM
What does diskwarrior tell you?