PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Full...Need help !!!

flyboy
3rd February 2010, 05:39 PM
Hi guys
Im running a Macbook running OS X 10.5.8
I only have about 2gb left of memory and basically I dont know why as there is not THAT much stuff stored.
Im hardly an expert but I have done a bit of research and have downloaded
Omni Disc Sweeper to see where the big files are.
To my surprise, alot of the things I though would be huge, in fact are not!
What I have found, and where I need some explanation is that it identified a
folder called "var" and it has a size of 24.3GB.
When I highlight var, it then open on to another list showing "log" with a size of 21.5 gb. When I highlight that file it then opens on to a further list which then shows "asl" with a size of 20.2gb. This then opens up to a HUGE list of stuff looking something like this "178.6 MB 2009.05.14.asl.
It goes on and on and on. A whole 20gb of it When I try and open up one, the response I get is "There is no default application specified to open the document "2009.05.10.U0.G80.asl"

I hope someone can make sense of what Ive just written. My question is,
can i delete that whole file ?? Would it do something unmentionable if i try and get 20gb back???
Hope someone can shed some light on this for me!
Cheers

Alex Morrow
3rd February 2010, 06:09 PM
The link below shows some information about .asl files. I don't know my way around such things, but I note that it points out that the logs are the computer's way of telling you that something has not been working correctly, and that you should try to correct what is wrong before just deleting the file.

How do I delete my huge asl log files? - The macosxhints Forums (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=101711)

MissionMan
3rd February 2010, 07:30 PM
try something like cleanmymac. you can test it first to see how much it can reduce your crap by. it reduces everything from log files to language files.

flyboy
3rd February 2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks to your responses guys!
Well, after reading and considering whats been posted (especially that thread Alex posted on how to delete huge asl log files, i just decided to take the plunge and trash that huge 20gb folder of crap.......God it felt good!!
It did take a while but once it was done, everything seems to be working just fine!!
That extra 21gb is sure going to come in handy!

Thanks for the advice. I will also keep cleanmymac handy for other crap I may have so thanks MissionMan for that lead too!

Cheers

youngin
11th February 2010, 04:07 PM
hey guys,

if i may hijack the thread briefly so to save creating another useless one..

do i need a special external HD for a mac? random thought since i tried friend's HD and it wouldnt read it...I figured it recognises USB so there shouldn't be any issues. Any recomendations on a HD?

cheers

canonafficionado
11th February 2010, 04:55 PM
There's a lot of external drives that will work fine with a mac, but you might need to say what you expect from it to help us know what you need.

So do you want a cheap, simple solution to dump files and recover from it ocassionally?

Or do you want it to be connected all the time? Do you want it to have an iTunes server on it?

Do you want it to be plugged in directly like you described via USB?

ClockWork
11th February 2010, 04:55 PM
Nuh - it makes no difference. All external enclosures contain a Hard Drive which an Apple Mac will understand... provided that the external Hard Drive is in - what is known as: an HFS+ Format.

In the case of your friend's external, it was probably formatted to MS-DOS or NTFS.

In other words, the same thing would happen if you connected an HFS+ formatted Hard Drive to a Windows computer. It wouldn't be able to read the format.

Any Hard Drive (internal or external) can be formatted to HFS+ in around 30 seconds, using OS X's Disk Utility Application. :)

canonafficionado
11th February 2010, 05:05 PM
Good points Clockwork. I was just looking at Disk Utility from your comments for interest and under format there's options like FAT32 etc, but for the Mac there's one called Mac OS extended (journaled) and similar.

Is that HFS+ by another name?

ClockWork
11th February 2010, 05:22 PM
Is that HFS+ by another name?

It is indeed.
See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus) for more information.

youngin
12th February 2010, 10:54 AM
ahh ok sweet then, well i just want to dump gb and gb of stuff i wouldnt use every day or every week even so plug in-usb type hd will be fine

thanks for that! cheers

ClockWork
12th February 2010, 11:04 AM
Purchase a good quality (pricier) USB Flash Drive... just to be on the safe side.
As I always say, if it looks too good to be true, it is.

canonafficionado
16th February 2010, 08:58 PM
It is indeed.
See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus) for more information.

Thanks for that. Now I also know why some drives seem to have a file size limit whereas other ones don't. It's all in the format selected.

vivid2
19th February 2010, 05:32 PM
But not NTFS; they can only read this format.

Unless you use Fuse (http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/).

youngin
21st February 2010, 09:31 PM
Purchase a good quality (pricier) USB Flash Drive... just to be on the safe side.
As I always say, if it looks too good to be true, it is.

sorry, was that directed at me?

any reccomendations??

ClockWork
21st February 2010, 11:31 PM
sorry, was that directed at me?

any reccomendations??

The SanDisk Cruzer (http://www.sandisk.com/consumer-products/computing) range are pretty good quality - available from Tricky Dicky or Office Works, and the TREK Thumbdrives (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/NAVYNEWS/EDITIONS/4521/images/thumbdrive.jpg) are the best, yet they're getting harder to get hold of in Australia.

chocho
22nd February 2010, 09:42 AM
so which disk format will work on both, mac+pc?

ClockWork
22nd February 2010, 09:49 AM
MS-DOS will work fine with Mac and PC, yet if one file weighs over 4GB, a PC may not be able to copy it from a USB Flash Drive, or vise-versa.

youngin
22nd February 2010, 09:44 PM
The SanDisk Cruzer (http://www.sandisk.com/consumer-products/computing) range are pretty good quality - available from Tricky Dicky or Office Works, and the TREK Thumbdrives (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/NAVYNEWS/EDITIONS/4521/images/thumbdrive.jpg) are the best, yet they're getting harder to get hold of in Australia.

sweet...thanks a chunk :)

youngin
7th March 2010, 11:51 PM
hey guys, yet another HD related question..

mate brought over his portable HD to copy some stuff, and when i first connected it, it asked me if i wanted to use it as back up device for time machine (mind you i never set up time machine). After declining i couldnt copy any files onto the HD, it seemed like it was "locked" or soemthing.. it took a bit of playing around- i selected the HD as the time machine destination and then cancelled it again, after that i was able to copy whatever i wanted onto it..

i'm curious why does this happen, i.e. HD being "locked"?

cheers

ClockWork
8th March 2010, 01:53 AM
No idea - but - if you want your Mac to quit asking you if it should use Time Machine every time an External Drive is plugged in, it can be forced to stop asking:

Click once on any blank space on the Desktop. Then click once on the top menu item: Go and scroll down to: Utilities.

In the Utilities window, double-click to open: Terminal.app

In the Terminal window, type or copy 'n paste from here:

defaults write com.apple.TimeMachine DoNotOfferNewDisksForBackup -bool YES

and then hit the return key on your keyboard.

You can then Quit out of the Terminal.

Time Machine will no longer ask you if you want it to use any External Drive as its backup, and if you want to reverse it, follow the same procedures shown above, yet next time, type:

defaults write com.apple.TimeMachine DoNotOfferNewDisksForBackup -bool NO

and hit return and Quit Terminal.

Time Machine will then show that annoying message again every time you connect an External Drive.

youngin
9th March 2010, 01:42 PM
done, thank you:)