PDA

View Full Version : Parrallels Use-Speed (Lack of)

sogni1
2nd February 2010, 11:08 AM
Gooday

I need to use Parrallels (latest version/build) and Windows XP for a work program.
The problem I have is with the incredibly slow manner in which it opens /performs...can take 5-10 mins to open, get Windows operational and same to close down.

I have been onto Parrallels Support and followed their advice to no avail...and at increasing cost ( for support):rolleyes:

Anyone had similar prob and what has your fix been ?

Regards
Ian

gehenna
2nd February 2010, 11:25 AM
Need more info.

What version of Parallels.
What are the VM settings, i.e. How much RAM is available to it, etc.
How big is the VM, is there much stuff set to startup automatically when Windows Loads?
What type of Mac do you have, what are it's specs?

Please provide as much info as possible. Thanks :)

glacierdave
2nd February 2010, 01:19 PM
FWIW, I'm using Parallels v5 and Win XP Pro on a MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and I use the XP install daily - various programs, some running for hours through the day.

I also have an XP desktop running and notice no real difference in responsiveness between the physical XP box and the Parallels VM when running the same programs (QuickBooks and MS Publisher primarily).

As gehenna asks/suggests, though, there's many things that can be tuned and tweaked to get a good result.

Brains
2nd February 2010, 01:28 PM
In addition to the info requested by gehenna:

Are you running your Parallels'd Windows from a Boot Camp partition, or a stand-alone virtual drive?
How much free space is available on your Mac's boot drive?