PDA

View Full Version : iPad Tethering to iPhone

keeleyg
1st February 2010, 12:52 PM
So if the iPad supports bluetooth (which it does) and you have an iPhone that has tethering enabled, can you link the iPad to the iPhone and use the iPhone 3G connection?

If you can then surely the iPad WiFi is all you need and you don't need the 3G version.

How will we know before someone gets one and tries it?

Joey1983
1st February 2010, 01:07 PM
That's the dream, I have my doubts though.
It's currently not part of the iPhone OS (iPod Touch), but I guess that doesn't really mean anything. Maybe in OS 4?

tcn33
1st February 2010, 01:16 PM
How will we know before someone gets one and tries it?

We probably won't. Though I've seen developers with the 3.2 SDK giving gentle hints that we will be SOL on this front.

At this point I'm assuming tethering will not be an option.

Japester
1st February 2010, 01:22 PM
I think Stevo would have mentioned it if it was intended. I'm sure Apple's answer is to get the 3G version. A bit annoying but nothing much can be done about it. A MiFi would be a good answer, so you can use it with an iPod Touch, iPad and computer. More flexible. If you don't use the iPhone much as a phone (I don't), this might be a good substitute, assuming that there is a MiFi equivalent here in Australia.

Ecto1
1st February 2010, 01:26 PM
I hope so. If the AU pricing is not that different between the two 64 models I may just get the 3G version.

tcn33
1st February 2010, 01:29 PM
I hope so. If the AU pricing is not that different between the two 64 models I may just get the 3G version.

There's $130 USD between the two, so I guess it depends on your definition of "not that different".

skritter
1st February 2010, 04:50 PM
The recently release Apple MacBook is US$999 v. AU$1299.

It was released at a time when the exhange rate was simular to the present.

So US$499 = AU$649 at the retail level

dotnet
1st February 2010, 04:58 PM
If you can then surely the iPad WiFi is all you need and you don't need the 3G version.

The non-3G version also lacks GPS, I'm not sure I'd go for that.

Cheers
Steffen.

ZeMule
1st February 2010, 05:37 PM
But is the 3G version real GPS, or A-GPS using only cell tower location?

~Coxy
1st February 2010, 06:14 PM
A-GPS is full GPS (sattelites + phone towers) but people often confuse it with basic triangulation, which is not GPS at all.

peterjcat
1st February 2010, 06:16 PM
Why does everyone think that A-GPS uses ONLY cell tower location? A-GPS uses cell tower location to help lock onto the GPS satellite more quickly. The iPad 3G will have exactly the same A-GPS as the iPhone.

ZeMule
1st February 2010, 06:24 PM
My bad, I'll just go top myself because I asked a simple question in an online forum.
Please donate to a local charity in lieu of sending flowers.

yagankiely
1st February 2010, 08:01 PM
The recently release Apple MacBook is US$999 v. AU$1299.

It was released at a time when the exhange rate was simular to the present.

So US$499 = AU$649 at the retail levelI wonder if there will be a edu discount… the iPhone doesn't but this will be geared towards Students so… maybe?

keeleyg
2nd February 2010, 07:46 AM
There's $130 USD between the two, so I guess it depends on your definition of "not that different".

the issue isn't just the cost difference between the iPad models but the ongoing subscription to a 3G data plan that a telco is going to sting you for - after all they try to do that today with separate phone and data plans for laptops - remember Optus still charge a premium of $9.95 a month just to enable tethering!

Ironically I would buy the 3G version to get the A-GPS capability but would still want to tether to my iPhone so I only have one data plan with a single carrier to service.

TheKeddi
2nd February 2010, 08:07 AM
My bad, I'll just go top myself because I asked a simple question in an online forum.
Please donate to a local charity in lieu of sending flowers.

Funny? I didn't see anyone having a go, just a simple answer,

Try not to be too sensitive, remember, you can't hear how someone is talking on the net, you take it as you read it yourself.

:) Just so you know I am not having a go too. Keep away from the edge!

~Coxy
2nd February 2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah I wasn't trying to have a go, but it's annoying that even newspapers and tech websites continue the misinformation about A-GPS.

greggy
2nd February 2010, 10:54 AM
There is an app for jailbroken iPhones called MyWi that can turn your iPhone 3g into a adhoc wifi hotspot. That should allow your WiFi-only iPad to connect to the iPhones 3g signal without any problem.

LevMac
2nd February 2010, 11:31 AM
There is an app for jailbroken iPhones called MyWi that can turn your iPhone 3g into a adhoc wifi hotspot. That should allow your WiFi-only iPad to connect to the iPhones 3g signal without any problem.

Just wish that we didn't have to jailbreak our phones to do that :(

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 12:06 PM
MyWi does not seems to work when I tried using my Ipod to connect to Internet via it. I think it only work for notebooks. I hope it would work for Ipad.

ZeMule
2nd February 2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah I wasn't trying to have a go, but it's annoying that even newspapers and tech websites continue the misinformation about A-GPS.

Having taken a few deep breaths and spoken with my shaman, I have put the crossbow down and am once again willing to continue life. Coxy, you're response was a perfect answer to my post. Peterjcat may have slightly peeved me at the time with his, but that could have had something to do with being a heavy drinker... anyhoo, back to the ipad

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp225/braball/MovingOnCover.jpg?t=1265088334

PCKid
11th February 2010, 10:57 PM
OK. Explain it a bit more please. If you only buy the Wifi versions how does that affect say Google Maps? At the moment a lot of apps on my iPhone 3GS ask me if they can use my location. Without GPS built in does localisation not work? I've weighed up why would I need 3G. If I need 3G when I'm away from my WiFi homebase I can use my iPhone. At home my iPad would be on my WiFi for Safari, Mail, iTunes store and that's about it. The other things I would do require no Wifi at all. Reading, watching, listening. I do see though that Tethering using your existing Telstra Data plan would be somewhat handy at times on the road.

melbmac
12th February 2010, 03:31 PM

That's why, in my opinion apple will not do it.

markhellewell
15th February 2010, 08:57 AM
OK. Explain it a bit more please. If you only buy the Wifi versions how does that affect say Google Maps?

Well if your WiFi hotspot has been in the same location for some time then there's a high probability that the Google Car has driven by your house and mapped your access point, so Maps (and Location Services in general, I think) should be able to tell you you're at home! They have the Skyhook technologies.

At the moment a lot of apps on my iPhone 3GS ask me if they can use my location.

This will still happen in the WiFi only model.

Without GPS built in does localisation not work?

Localisation or Location Services?

I've weighed up why would I need 3G. If I need 3G when I'm away from my WiFi homebase I can use my iPhone. At home my iPad would be on my WiFi for Safari, Mail, iTunes store and that's about it. The other things I would do require no Wifi at all. Reading, watching, listening.

I'll be waiting for the 3G version, no doubt. I want my internets no matter where I happen to be! (Telstra, obviously, so better remortgage the house)

I do see though that Tethering using your existing Telstra Data plan would be somewhat handy at times on the road.

I reckon we've got more chance of being allowed to stop paying taxes, I'm afraid!

Darwiniandude
15th February 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm hopeful for tethering.

Remember that people boo'd when AT&T was mentioned as the carrier, even without contract. They're bitter about tethering and the MMS delay over there as it is. If Steve had mentioned tethering for all, except the USA, he'd have been lynched.

Bluetooth tethering for those who want it, I don't see why Apple would limit this, afterall they let us tether the iPhone to a G4 PowerBook for example, or an Asus EEEK peewee.

MetalPhreak
16th February 2010, 09:49 AM
Most phones that have GPS have it integrated with the same chipset that handles radio communications. I'm not sure what they use in the iphone, but I'd hazard a guess that its an all in one chip that handles 3G communication and GPS.

Wifi only iPad won't have this chipset since it doesn't need 3G, thus no GPS. It's basically ipod touch vs iphone :)

ilovemymac
21st February 2010, 02:15 PM
i guess the next best alternative is to have an app that creates a wifi network based on the iphone's 3g connection so that the wifi based iPads can connect to.

I would really hope to get the 3g enabled ipad but the wait is just tooo long !

pyrite
23rd February 2010, 07:36 AM
I'm very doubtful tethering will be available, I'll be hanging on for something like MiFi that doesn't require a jailbreak. Will probably just get the 3G in the end.

iTy
23rd February 2010, 08:13 AM
I'm very doubtful tethering will be available, I'll be hanging on for something like MiFi that doesn't require a jailbreak. Will probably just get the 3G in the end.

My preference would be a battery powered Airport Express that allows you to stick a USB modem in it and share the internet connection via WiFi. Would be very usefull for travel.

greggy
23rd February 2010, 09:09 AM

If you already have a 3g data plan on your iphone, is it worth paying for an extra data plan to use the iPad?
Jailbreaking is a relatively simple procedure. It's safe, legal and easily reversible.
From there, there are several apps you can use that create a wifi network from your iPhone 3g.

That's my plan anyway..

Comet
23rd February 2010, 09:49 AM
If you already have a 3g data plan on your iphone, is it worth paying for an extra data plan to use the iPad?
Jailbreaking is a relatively simple procedure. It's safe, legal and easily reversible.
From there, there are several apps you can use that create a wifi network from your iPhone 3g.

That's my plan anyway..

Wouldn't your battery life die really quickly with this jailbreaking method? MiFi is $200 so I'd just invest in one of those and find a prepaid data plan.

greggy
23rd February 2010, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't your battery life die really quickly with this jailbreaking method? MiFi is $200 so I'd just invest in one of those and find a prepaid data plan.

Yeah, the battery would go a hell of a lot quicker, but you still might get a few continuous hours of use, as long as your iphone screen isn't on.

It just seems like the right option if you are already in contract for a data plan. I mean, I rarely get through my 1gig from Vodafone each month on just the iPhone.

The thought of paying for another data plan seems excessive for me.

But, of course, it depends on your situation.

eaglesteve2
23rd February 2010, 06:37 PM
I've managed to make my iPhone a wifi hotspot that my iPod could use. Will be using this to gain Internet access if I bring my iPad out. One data plan is enough.

WindowsVista
23rd February 2010, 06:49 PM
I've managed to make my iPhone a wifi hotspot that my iPod could use. Will be using this to gain Internet access if I bring my iPad out. One data plan is enough.
How? Does it involve jailbreaking?

canonafficionado
23rd February 2010, 06:53 PM
I agree, I think the phone companies should look at making two or more sims available for the one account, so we don't have to worry about tethering, except as a backup. Then they just total up your usage from both sims at the end of the month and price it according to the plan that you're on.

There's no real reason why you cant have two sims or a whole family of sims on the one account because it's inevitable they will need to accomodate this if not for the iPad then for other devices people have.

eaglesteve2
23rd February 2010, 07:42 PM
How? Does it involve jailbreaking?

Yes it does. You can use mywi from the Cydia store. Works beautifully. You can even switch off your iPhone to conserve battery.

ilovemymac
25th February 2010, 04:35 PM
im facing some unstablity with mywifi thou. hope apple will have a direct tether solution/app for iphone and ipad link ups

maclab
6th March 2010, 06:05 PM
No Teethering

haydio
7th March 2010, 09:22 AM
Ämne: Re: Dear mr. Jobs
Från: Steve Jobs <sjobs@apple.com>
Datum: 5 mars 2010 17.01.29 CET
Till: Jezper Söderlund <>
Return-Path: <sjobs@apple.com>

No.

Sent from my iPhone.

From Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/hey-steve-can-the-ipad-tether-with-the-iphone/)

Darwiniandude
7th March 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm pi$$ed off about this! As we're not in the USA we're allowed to tether our iPhones. Without jailbreaking even.

I can tether my iPhone to my G3 clamshell iBook running tiger with a bluetooth usb dongle.
I can tether it to a crappy EEE PC netbook.
I can tether it to anything.

Except an iPad. Way to go Steve, forcing us to the 64GB 3G model. I'm really annoyed about this. F$%^!

eaglesteve2
8th March 2010, 07:42 PM
I think Steve Jobs was assuming a non JB iPhone scenario. I don't see any issue once the iPhone is jailbroken and running mywi.

Nisstrust
8th April 2010, 10:25 AM
has anyone here on mactalk successfully used a jailbroken iphone with mywi to connect up there ipad?

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 11:08 AM
I was wondering that too. But I still don't thing it's worth jail braking for just that.

Nisstrust
8th April 2010, 11:38 AM
i'd say it be of benefit if your on the move with no wifi access and you'd save the additional money you would have spent on the 3G model plus the data plan cost of the 3G model too.

MightyAtom
8th April 2010, 12:15 PM
has anyone here on mactalk successfully used a jailbroken iphone with mywi to connect up there ipad?
I've successfully tethered a notebook to my iPhone using MyWi and wifi is wifi, it'll work with the iPad.

jaselynch
8th April 2010, 02:37 PM
There's an open source iPhone Xcode project called iProxy... i just compiled for my phone and i can use WiFi on my MacBook to tether through my iPhone... i figure this'll work for a shiny new iPad when i can get my hands on one. Best part is that no jailbrake is needed which makes me happy :D

Only problem is that you need an iPhone dev account (or know someone with one) that can hook you up...

I've got one (well my work does)... i may be able to hook one or two folks up but not sure yet.

dawsman
12th April 2010, 06:04 PM
What do people think the chances are that one day a firmware update for the wifi-only iPad will enable tethering? Perhaps after they've sold enough 3G-enabled units?

iTy
12th April 2010, 09:17 PM
Looks like I'll be jailbreaking my iPhone.

MyWiFi looks like the goods with my iPad

Aladdin
12th April 2010, 09:55 PM
What do people think the chances are that one day a firmware update for the wifi-only iPad will enable tethering? Perhaps after they've sold enough 3G-enabled units?

Extrapolating from the iPhone, it would make sense that:

a 3G-enabled device (read: iPhone or iPad with 3G) which has a dock connector port

can have its broadband connection shared via a "USB – dock connector cable" with

a device which has a USB port (read: computer) and has the appropriate driver installed (read: not iPad).

dawsman
12th April 2010, 10:23 PM
Extrapolating from the iPhone, it would make sense that:

a 3G-enabled device (read: iPhone or iPad with 3G) which has a dock connector port

can have its broadband connection shared via a "USB – dock connector cable" with

a device which has a USB port (read: computer) and has the appropriate driver installed (read: not iPad).

I meant tethering via bluetooth, which I do currently with my Macbook Pro and Telstra iPhone 3GS. The USB connection to my Macbook Pro was only required to update the iPhone carrier settings to enable tethering. After that the remainder of the setup is done on the iPhone.

Currently one would think that the restriction of tethering with the iPad is the software/firmware not allowing a bluetooth connection for tethering. Surely this could be changed by a firmware update in the future if Apple was willing to enable tethering on the wifi-only iPad?

itsanobscureid
13th April 2010, 12:41 AM

this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=888708) looks pretty promising.

Waiting on my ipad to be delivered from the states now - anyone know how long usps express international mail will realistically take - it's been posted this(monday) morning :)

Keving
13th April 2010, 12:46 AM
It works 100%, I use it it work when crossing between wi-fi points with my iPad & iPhone.

MightyAtom
13th April 2010, 01:03 AM
anyone know how long usps express international mail will realistically take - it's been posted this(monday) morning :)

5 days is pretty much the usual. I'd say you'll most likely have it Friday, if not Monday.

Aladdin
13th April 2010, 10:32 PM
I meant tethering via bluetooth, which I do currently with my Macbook Pro and Telstra iPhone 3GS. The USB connection to my Macbook Pro was only required to update the iPhone carrier settings to enable tethering. After that the remainder of the setup is done on the iPhone.

Currently one would think that the restriction of tethering with the iPad is the software/firmware not allowing a bluetooth connection for tethering. Surely this could be changed by a firmware update in the future if Apple was willing to enable tethering on the wifi-only iPad?

I can see and understand where you're coming from.

But I perceive that even with Bluetooth, the one-way street (as described above) will apply.

I reckon you'd only see the outcome you wish for 'if and only if' they allow the iPhone/iPod touch to 'tether' via bluetooth to share a Mac's internet connection. Apple would have to be (somewhat) consistent with how they apply the iPhoneOS to devices which run them.

Personally, I reckon there's Buckley's chance of that happening.

mcargy08
13th April 2010, 10:54 PM
There's an open source iPhone Xcode project called iProxy... i just compiled for my phone and i can use WiFi on my MacBook to tether through my iPhone... i figure this'll work for a shiny new iPad when i can get my hands on one. Best part is that no jailbrake is needed which makes me happy :D

Only problem is that you need an iPhone dev account (or know someone with one) that can hook you up...

I've got one (well my work does)... i may be able to hook one or two folks up but not sure yet.

I've got a dev account. Where can I get that iproxy? I want to try it with my new iPad due to arrive tomorrow or on Thursday!

MightyAtom
14th April 2010, 02:09 AM
I've got a dev account. Where can I get that iproxy? I want to try it with my new iPad due to arrive tomorrow or on Thursday!

I believe you can get it here (http://wiki.github.com/tcurdt/iProxy/).

mcargy08
14th April 2010, 07:15 AM
I believe you can get it here (http://wiki.github.com/tcurdt/iProxy/).

and i have no idea how to do it! i've got a dev account just to test beta release of iphone os's but not a developer by heart.

can someone please help me out on this? cheers