PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro (late 2007) no sound

crayonsresturant
1st February 2010, 09:01 AM
Hi Guys, i seem to be having a big problem with my macbook pro.
i was watching a movie using VLC last night and i fell asleep during the movie. When i woke up i couldn't get any audio from anything on the computer (itunes, quicktime, VLC or turning the volume up or down) nothing had fell on the computer nor had it been moved from where i left it

i noticed that the speaker icon on the task bar had also been grayed out, so i checked what my audio preferences settings to see if anything fishy was going on and it says that it cant detect any input or output settings.

ive tried restarting several times as well as flashing the PRAM.
(also there is NO red light coming from my audio in or output sockets)

after reading a lot of forums this morning i cant seem to find a solution.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-dfb

running snow leopard 10.6.2

ClockWork
1st February 2010, 09:29 AM
Try:

Shutdown your MacBook Pro and unplug the MagSafe power plug from both your MacBook Pro and the wall socket. Leave it like this for around 5 minutes and then plug both ends back in and Power up.

If this makes no difference, Shutdown again, remove the MagSafe adaptor, and then remove your MacBook Pro's Battery - just take it out - and then put it back in, reconnect the MagSafe and start it up again.

If this doesn't work, shutdown again, unplug the MagSafe power adapter from your MacBook Pro, remove the battery and with the battery completely out, turn the MacBook Pro back over and hold down the Power button for around 6 seconds. Then release the Power button.

Turn it back over, and reconnect first its battery and then the MagSafe adapter, and start it up again.

See how you go.

Cheers,

cw

crayonsresturant
1st February 2010, 10:27 AM
Thank you CW, i'll give these a try when i get home from work.
i have been reading things from other forums saying that i should shove tooth picks into the audio our port as well. (not too keen on that though)

ClockWork
1st February 2010, 10:34 AM
We take no responsibility should you choose to rape your MacBook Pro with a sharp piece of wood.

The above pieces of advice revolve around resetting your MBP's System Management Controller (SMC).

crayonsresturant
1st February 2010, 10:40 AM
HAHAHA. don't worry i wouldn't be doing that anyway.

would you have any idea why this would just happen all of a sudden?

ClockWork
1st February 2010, 10:42 AM
No.

I don't try to think of why a problem occurs.
I try to think of how to solve it.
Even if you knew the "why", would it make a vast amount of difference?

crayonsresturant
1st February 2010, 11:00 AM
yes, it would make a vast difference, maybe i could have done something that coursed this to happen.

but thanks for your help.