PDA

View Full Version : Normal 3G sim or Micro ?

LevMac
31st January 2010, 11:15 PM
Just wanting to know if iPad will take the normal sized 3G sim card ? Or does it definately have to be the micro version ?

NathR32
31st January 2010, 11:24 PM
Micro SIM.

Apple iPad's 'Micro SIM' explained -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipads-micro-sim-explained/)

Stevoid
31st January 2010, 11:27 PM
So far it looks like just micro sim. I'm hoping that Telstra update their prepaid internet plans and release a micro sim card.

It would make my Bussenton and Bunbury trips brilliant as Optus do have receiption down there but no 3G :( Makes my internet banking quite hard!

Lockley
1st February 2010, 12:12 AM
Heres an example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/GSM_Micro_SIM_Card_vs._GSM_Mini_Sim_Card.svg

asphotos
1st February 2010, 06:02 AM
optus has 3g in bunbury and busselton..

mitty
1st February 2010, 08:14 AM
It really is very silly. But I think you'll find that upon release of the device, Micro SIMs will suddenly magically become available from all Australian carriers. Not to mention conversion thingies so you can still use the Micro SIM in a normal mobile phone or even yoru iphone.

dotnet
1st February 2010, 10:43 AM
I can't wait for the first iPad tear-down pictures. The thing must really be crammed full with stuff to force Apple into using a slightly smaller SIM card that most people have never heard of before…

Cheers
Steffen.

hendot
1st February 2010, 10:49 AM
I don't think they are forced to use the micro-sim in the iPad. I'd say they will use it for the next iPhone though, they are trying to make everyone adopt the micro-sim standard by making in the only sim that their products will accept.

wholikespotatoes
1st February 2010, 10:55 AM
Something tells me it was an AT&T compromise to allow them to be shipped unlocked.

Stevoid
1st February 2010, 11:22 AM
optus has 3g in bunbury and busselton..

Hmmmm something's up then. I was down in Busselton last week with my iPhone and had no 3G recieption down there... Nor Bunbury when I stopped in to see family.

Is the 3G down there on a frequency the iPhone doesn't like?

LevMac
1st February 2010, 06:36 PM
Hmmmmm, so im guessing that you won't be able to use your normal 3G sim from your iPhone in the iPad ? I do realise the micro sim physically is just a bit smaller than an ordinary 3G sim, so might have to do a bit of "trimming" ? :p

Phillo
1st February 2010, 07:44 PM
Something tells me it was an AT&T compromise to allow them to be shipped unlocked.

I dont think it was an AT&T compromise at all.

The 3G standard Apple are using (and used with the iphone) is a standard that has been adopted around the world.

58% of Apple revenues now come from outside the USA so its important that their products use a standard that widely adopted around the world.

And the agreement Apple obviously had with AT&T only included the iphone and not any other mobile device!

As for the micro-sim, I think apple want to use this across the iphone line and the ipad is the first product to get it. Apple adopting this standard reminds me very much of the mini-display port that now features on all their consumer machines.

Apple wouldnt choose it unless it suited their needs.

thats my opinion anyway.

asphotos
1st February 2010, 08:56 PM
micro sims are 1.8v. and they are not the only company who are on the cusp of releasing this form factor.

thats a power saving, the bigger sims (current stock) are multi voltage and with that you loose some efficiency (more power) its all about steve's very important 10hr flight time..

optus 3g in the south of WA are 900Mhz UMTS, which the iphone dosen't have,