PDA

View Full Version : iPad versus Archos 9

eaglesteve2
31st January 2010, 03:32 PM
Hate Steve Jobs? Want multitasking? Want openness? Want HD video to be played on your HD TV? Want Stylus? Want removable battary? Want built-in USB port? Want Stereo music speakers? Want full flash support for all websites?

You may want to consider Archos 9. A little heavier, half the battery life (but hey you can bring along a spare battery anywhere you go),

If you also hate Microsoft, there is an ARCHOS (http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_7/specs.html?country=us&lang=en) 7 which runs Android to consider.

PROCESSOR
-----------
Archos 9:
Intel ATOM Z510 1.1 GHz

iPad:
1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip

DISPLAY
--------
Archos 9:
8.9” LED backlight
1024x600 pixels
Resistive touch screen
Video chipset: Intel Poulsbo US15W

iPad:
9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

OPERATING SYSTEM
-------------------
Archos 9:
Microsoft® Windows® 7 Starter Edition

iPad:
iPhone OS

SYSTEM MEMORY
----------------
Archos 9:
1GB onboard (DDR2 SDRAM 400)

iPad:
?????

STORAGE
---------
Archos 9:
HDD 60GB (1.8”)

iPad:
SSD: 16,32,64GB

COMMUNICATION
----------------
Archos 9:
WiFi: PCI-E interface, 1 antenna, support IEEE 802.11b/g
Ethernet: 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet Controller (via port replicator)
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR compliant)

iPad:
(a)Wi-Fi model
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
(b)Wi-Fi + 3G model
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only2
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

PORTS
-------
Archos 9:
USB 2.0 port (2 additional ports via port replicator)
DC-IN jack
3.5” audio output (1 additional output via port replicator)
Dual stereo speakers
Microphone
Ethernet port (via port replicator)

iPad:
Dock connector
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Built-in mono speaker
Microphone

STYLUS PROVIDED?
-------------------
Archos 9: Yes
iPad: No

BATTERY:
---------
Archos 9:
removable Lithium Polymer battery

iPad:
Non-removable

BATTERY LIFE
-------------
Archos 9:
Approx. 5h

iPad:
Approx. 10h

PHYSICAL DIMENSION
---------------------
Archos 9:
256 x 134 x 17 mm
Weight: 800 grams

iPad:
242.8 x189.7 x 13.4 mm
Weight: 680 grams (WIFI) 730 gram (WIFII + 3G)

VIDEO
------
Archos 9:
H264 video up to 1080p, And with the optional port-replicator, that adds outputs to your ARCHOS (including a VGA output), you will be able to watch your movies on your large HD TV.

iPad:
H.264 video up to 720p

SUPPORT FOR FLASH WEBSITES
------------------------------
Archos 9:
Yes

iPad:
No

SUPPORT FOR MULTITASKING
----------------------------
Archos 9:
Yes

iPad:
No

PRICE:
Archos 9: USD 549.99

iPad:-------16GB---32GB---64GB
Wi-Fi-------$499---$599---$699
Wi-Fi+3G--- $629---$729---$829

More information on Archos 9:
-----------------------------
ARCHOS (http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archos_9/specs.html?country=dj&lang=en)

Archos 9 PCtablet, getting connected is more handy! | PMP Specs Review | Pinoytutorial Techtorial (http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/archos-9-pctablet-specs-review/)

I was sure I was going to get an iPad. Now I'm no longer sure. There are atttractive alternatives available after all. What about you? Would you consider such alternatives? If not, why not?

timmytomtam
31st January 2010, 04:21 PM
PHYSICAL DIMENSION
---------------------
Archos 9:
256 x 134 x 17 mm
Weight: 800 grams

iPad:
242.8 x189.7 x 13.4 mm
Weight: 68 grams (WIFI) 730 gram (WIFII + 3G)

Impressive ;)

eaglesteve2
31st January 2010, 04:22 PM
Oops. It's 680 gram. Thanks for correcting it.

semaja2
31st January 2010, 04:24 PM
Reason to buy iPad...

Its not a full blown OS or a silly wrapper to a full blown OS, which means its more natural.

iPad has the App Store which means we have thousands of developers and hundreds of thousands of apps.

iPad syncs ever so nicely

iPad apps are usually built explicitly for that device and not ported GUIs

Tablets have been around for decades, and every single one of them usually used something like Windows XP Tablet Edition (I my self own a tablet) these devices if laptop form like mine (Toughbook cf-18) end up never being used as a tablet just a laptop.

I am excited about the iPad because it has potential its not a cheap idea, its well thought out, i dont have to manage more then 1 machine (I find it a pain to keep 2 itunes/iphoto/settings libraries in sync)

However i do think the old Tablet has its place and the iPad has a new place

Geoff3DMN
31st January 2010, 04:30 PM
Windows 7 with 1Gb of memory on an Atom processor will run like a slug. So yes it has the ability to do more things but it will do them annoyingly slowly and then one thing I can't stand in computers is lack of responsiveness (even if it means reducing what a computer can do to improve the responsiveness).

semaja2
31st January 2010, 04:32 PM
Windows 7 with 1Gb of memory on an Atom processor will run like a slug. So yes it has the ability to do more things but it will do them annoyingly slowly and then one thing I can't stand in computers is lack of responsiveness (even if it means reducing what a computer can do to improve the responsiveness).

Windows 7 was actually designed to run on the atom processor and should run fine on small machines like this (According to microsoft) unlike vista which would fail on a machine like this

yagankiely
31st January 2010, 04:43 PM
WTF, the Archos has an actual HD? (am I reading this right?). Regardless of the rest of the stats, I already don't want it. Physical media with moving parts are inconsistent, prone to failure and dead.

TheKeddi
31st January 2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah naahhh, I'll give them a miss and stuck with the crappy iPad! LOL

Geoff3DMN
31st January 2010, 05:06 PM
Windows 7 was actually designed to run on the atom processor and should run fine on small machines like this (According to microsoft) unlike vista which would fail on a machine like this

I put Vista on my MSI Wind U100+ with 1Gb of ram, a 160Gb hard disk and an Atom processor.

With XP that machine is only just ok... with Windows 7 it was outright slow.

Microsoft have a history of understating system requirments... they've done it again.

jack112006
31st January 2010, 05:21 PM
I don't want a full blown desktop OS on my tablet. Even vanilla Android sucks on a tablet. The software is what makes iPad special. If it was running OS X, I would never touch it. But with iPhone OS, it truly becomes something special.

macuzer
31st January 2010, 05:53 PM
That Archos looks like a big Zune. Yucky.

Trabb
31st January 2010, 05:55 PM
"Resistive touch screen"

That is the main issue with the Archos.

mjankor
31st January 2010, 06:34 PM
I looked up a few reviews on the Archos.

Slow seemed to be a common theme.

On top of that it's running Win7 starter, which doesn't have the tablet features. Not sure what the story is there.

mab
31st January 2010, 10:38 PM
Would probably be a nice system with moblin (http://moblin.org/) installed rather than Windows 7

yagankiely
31st January 2010, 11:01 PM
This seems to be convincing haters of the iPad of the the quality of the iPad more than the Archos…

nightelves
31st January 2010, 11:24 PM
So where do I sign up for one of these Archos.