PDA

View Full Version : ipad as a sales business machine

landog
31st January 2010, 12:48 PM
Im trying to find a way to justify buying an ipad and i got to thinking.

This would be a viable alternative to carrying my laptop all over the place in sydney each day (im in enterprise software sales). The main things i do is show ppt's, manage the calender / email, contacts.

Can iwork handle office 2007 ok?

What do you think would this be a viable use case.

It would need to integrate to exchange - does the current apps (email, calender, contacts) support exchange on the iphone?

Can you see any shortcomings of this as a daily replacement for the laptop?

semaja2
31st January 2010, 04:31 PM
iPhone does sync with exchange, however if there is anything it can't do but you also have a desktop PC at the office... Maybe use something like LogMeIn (Costs money for the app) or get your IT tech to setup vpn/portfoward for vnc/rdp and then you can do a complete desktop access from the iPad.

I plan on using LogMeIn to access my home mac/work pc for any big tasks

macuzer
31st January 2010, 05:48 PM
If your iPad has internet access you should be able to log on to your companies Outlook Webb Acess (OWA) if you're company is set up to allow offsite logins. Though it currently looks like it will only be WiFi instead of 3G for Australia, until Telco's support it.

semaja2
31st January 2010, 05:55 PM
There was actually a WiFi 3g modem released which could be used to add a 3g modem to your iPad WiFi.

PS. OWA would be the lesser of all options, but unless they remove ActiveSync from iPhone 3.2 for the iPad all your exchange data (calanders/mail/contacts) will be available in the Apple Apps

Exocet
31st January 2010, 06:21 PM
If your iPad has internet access you should be able to log on to your companies Outlook Webb Acess (OWA) if you're company is set up to allow offsite logins. Though it currently looks like it will only be WiFi instead of 3G for Australia, until Telco's support it.

The iPads are sold unlocked, so you can grab any Prepaid Mobile Broadband SIM - cut it down to size, and use it.

Brains
1st February 2010, 01:17 AM
You'd be better off with a HP or Dell minislate.