PDA

View Full Version : Good point to why there is no camera maybe.

ChrisR_12
30th January 2010, 07:44 PM
This i found on macrumors and i think he has a point to way there is no camera and i thought i would share it with you.

said by smurfjammer

I believe that the camera was left off on purpose for workplace security reasons, currently the iPhone can't be used in security sensitive workplaces due to the fact it HAS a camera and can't be removed easily with the iPad it can be an add-on when needed.

dolbinau
30th January 2010, 07:46 PM
If they expect the iPad to be used in the workplace where 'security' is important, I hope there is a lot planned in terms of how productive it will become.

Alec Fraser
30th January 2010, 07:54 PM
The guy is reaching for explanations...they didn't put a camera in because next year they'll release a new model with a camera.

Phunky
30th January 2010, 08:37 PM
Apple are making these expecting it to be used at ASIO or the Pentagon?

bartron
30th January 2010, 08:48 PM
The guy is reaching for explanations...they didn't put a camera in because next year they'll release a new model with a camera.

the iPod touch doesn't have a camera after 3 generations. It has room for one but Apple made a conscious decision not to include one. I can only presume the iPad doesn't have one for a similar reason (whatever it is).

It's too big a device to include a dinky camera anyway. If it faces the rear it would be just awkward to use and if it faced the front it would have limited application (iChat which not everyone uses and horsing around in photobooth)

xfodder
30th January 2010, 09:07 PM
the iPod touch doesn't have a camera after 3 generations. It has room for one but Apple made a conscious decision not to include one. I can only presume the iPad doesn't have one for a similar reason (whatever it is).

It's too big a device to include a dinky camera anyway. If it faces the rear it would be just awkward to use and if it faced the front it would have limited application (iChat which not everyone uses and horsing around in photobooth)

i agree. people are just too used to having a camera on everything ... to me the iPad is great just the way it is ... the main reason people feel let down is because aside from the new apps (iWork etc.) the iPad doesn't look that much different from an iPhone/iPod Touch ... but what people are forgetting is the thousands of developers who have already made the iPhone an even greater device. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets released. I will probably buy an iPad when they are released.

ChrisR_12
30th January 2010, 09:29 PM
I only posted this as it sounded good at the time. but after reading what bartron and xfodder said it makes me think why is a camera so important. I have a camera on my phone that i have all the time why have two.

eaglesteve2
30th January 2010, 09:41 PM
Without camera, we won't have any augmented reality applications though.

I can see lots of other use of it too. With it a student can just photograph a diagram drawn by the lecturer and include it as part of the notes. An inspector can use it to photo document his findings. Without the need if a separate camera and the trouble of getting it into the iPad.

Phillo
30th January 2010, 09:48 PM
I tend to agree with the other posters and say that they havent included a camera is because they intend on including one on a future update.

As for the security aspect.... Not having a camera for these reasons is not true. I work for a govt department with heavy security... and even our standard issue phones have cameras.

The reality is that the ipad is not going to be suitable for any organisation where security is a factor. The iphone OS is not open enough for the appropriate security software to be installed and used in most corporate environments.

sleek881
30th January 2010, 09:57 PM
In Steve's Keynote didn't he say there was no right or wrong way to hold the ipad? If there is a camera on the thing then there is only one to hold it, with the camera at the top.

I don't think they will add a camera at all.

The Fluffy Duck
30th January 2010, 10:07 PM
The only reason why there is no camera is so we can get one next year that does

Alec Fraser
30th January 2010, 10:07 PM

Yes, but look at the features that have been added to the touch over the past 3 generations. They could've done all of that from day 1, but they need to add value every gen for us to buy make up an excuse to buy one ;)

I don't know why they didn't put a camera in gen 3 of the touch, the speculation was that there was some last minute technical issue.

Limited application? Plenty of people use Netbooks for video conferencing when they're travelling. I do it all the time when I'm away for work! Same with Macs and PC laptops and some phones. That's a killer app that the iPad could beat all of them on if done right.

Just because it's may have limited application for you, doesn't mean that a lot of people wouldn't jump on it if it had a forward facing camera.

Oh and more apps than Photo Booth and iChat make use of the camera, Skype for example.

jack112006
30th January 2010, 10:13 PM
It's pretty clear from the simulator and the leak on Engadget the night before that Apple pulled the camera at the last minute. It is purely so they have something new to sell next year.

yagankiely
31st January 2010, 12:52 AM
Without camera, we won't have any augmented reality applications though.How would a augmented reality app work with a front facing camera anyway?

I can see lots of other use of it too. With it a student can just photograph a diagram drawn by the lecturer and include it as part of the notes. An inspector can use it to photo document his findings. Without the need if a separate camera and the trouble of getting it into the iPad.Suddenly no-one has a phone?

I can't think of anything stupider than using a ≈24cm long device as a camera for anything, be it homework or that pretty sunset off Cottesloe. I can maybe understand video phone calls (of which I've done maybe three - two just to test it out - and I don't know may who use it as a necessity).

Plus, a good (good) camera won't fit in it.

entropy
31st January 2010, 06:43 AM
I am sure the only reason a camera is not in the ipad is that it was Steved. He was just not satisfied with the experience. Every now and again his hubris gets the better of him.

The next version will have one. This might have been strategic- sell more ipads, but is now an imperative due to the backlash.

While no doubt it would be feature that would hardly ever be used, a keynote demo of photobooth while lounging on a chair would have doubled sales.

melbmac
31st January 2010, 08:00 AM
Just gives them something to upgrade later on.

decryption
31st January 2010, 08:07 AM
I am sure the only reason a camera is not in the ipad is that it was Steved. He was just not satisfied with the experience. Every now and again his hubris gets the better of him.

The next version will have one. This might have been strategic- sell more ipads, but is now an imperative due to the backlash.

While no doubt it would be feature that would hardly ever be used, a keynote demo of photobooth while lounging on a chair would have doubled sales.

I honestly think there's no camera because of usability. They seem to have made a big point about just picking the iPad up and not worrying about the orientation of the screen. When you put a camera in, you have to start worrying about which way you're holding the screen. I don't know why it's a big deal, but obviously, someone at Apple is concerned about it.

In my little Apple bubble with Steve Jobs giving handjobs to whoever asks, I don't think Apple held back a camera in this model, simply to say "Yeah! We'll sell another one in a years time that's virtually the same, BUT WITH A CAMERA!!! We'll be rich, rich as Nazis!"

I also doubt a camera is a big deal for a lot of people. Everyone saying "it needs a camera for me to buy it" probably won't buy the iPad if it had a camera. It'd be nice, but doubling sales? (instead of selling 2 million in 12 months, they sell 4 million) Because of a pissy little 1.3MP camera? That you can only use to do video conferencing? Hmmm.

The_Hawk
31st January 2010, 08:12 AM
I used to use video calls regularly. I have young kids at home and being able to ring and say goodnight if I was running late was just magic. When we both got iPhones we made the conscious decision that we wouldn't be able to do that any more, now it's something I miss, but not a deal breaker.

For the iPad, a front facing camera makes lots of sense, but remember this isn't a phone, so your limited to iChat or Skype. I do wonder if this is telling of the next gen iPhone and telling that it will continue to not have a front facing camera...

iJohn
31st January 2010, 09:15 AM
Just to clarify guys did the original iphone 2g have a camera?

MacCraig
31st January 2010, 09:29 AM
I honestly think there's no camera because of usability. They seem to have made a big point about just picking the iPad up and not worrying about the orientation of the screen. When you put a camera in, you have to start worrying about which way you're holding the screen. I don't know why it's a big deal, but obviously, someone at Apple is concerned about it.

In my little Apple bubble with Steve Jobs giving handjobs to whoever asks, I don't think Apple held back a camera in this model, simply to say "Yeah! We'll sell another one in a years time that's virtually the same, BUT WITH A CAMERA!!! We'll be rich, rich as Nazis!"

I also doubt a camera is a big deal for a lot of people. Everyone saying "it needs a camera for me to buy it" probably won't buy the iPad if it had a camera. It'd be nice, but doubling sales? (instead of selling 2 million in 12 months, they sell 4 million) Because of a pissy little 1.3MP camera? That you can only use to do video conferencing? Hmmm.
I agree with decryption. Could you imagine trying to take a picture with a device the size as an A4 page. You might as well put a black cloth over your head and turn it into an 19th century camera.

If the camera was front facing could you imagine how motion sick the person your talking to is going to get looking at your image moving about. You will never keep the thing still enough for chat.

I have an iPhone - its in my pocket when I am out and about - why do I need another pathetic little camera.

WindowsVista
31st January 2010, 09:45 AM
The camera will come eventually.

eaglesteve2
31st January 2010, 02:13 PM
How would a augmented reality app work with a front facing camera anyway?

Suddenly no-one has a phone?

Of course we're not wanting just a front facing camera. Camera for augmented reality must of course be the regular ones at the back. The front one is for video conferencing.

Of course you can take the picture with your phone, but I have to find ways to get it into the iPad, and that's inconvenient.

sleek881
31st January 2010, 02:59 PM
Of course we're not wanting just a front facing camera. Camera for augmented reality must of course be the regular ones at the back. The front one is for video conferencing.

Of course you can take the picture with your phone, but I have to find ways to get it into the iPad, and that's inconvenient.

Couldn't you just email it to the iPad?

entropy
31st January 2010, 03:17 PM
I think the only use for a camera on an ipad would be av chats. But I want to do AV chats. I would use ichat approximately once each day (not every day, but some days several times) as we have relatives that live outside of brisvague-us (even Washington DC).

It would be hopeless as a still or video camera, but fine for av chat. It would just need fast face tracking software to deal with the changing angles the ipad would be held at.

I just think Steve wasn't satisfied with the experience. So it was Steved. While I might have been happy with it, it just did not meet his standards.

However, even if the experience was crappy, an av video chat at the keynote with Obama preparing for the SOTU would have guaranteed a million sales (come on, the One would have done it for the AlGore). I don't think arguments that Apple did it just to sell the next model hold any water.

eaglesteve2
31st January 2010, 03:37 PM
Couldn't you just email it to the iPad?

For the WIFI model, it's not possible unless you're near a wifi hotspot. Even if you can, it would still be cumbersome. Also, you might not want a downsized photo.

sleek881
31st January 2010, 03:53 PM
If you want use ichat why not use laptop or Desktop? It would be ridiculous on the iPad as it would not be stable enough.

entropy
31st January 2010, 03:58 PM
Well I don't have a laptop. In fact, As I have a desktop for any job requiring grunt, something like the ipad is all I need when elsewhere but does so more effectively than my iphone. If the iphone had a front facing camera I would agree I would have less interest in a camera in an ipad.

yagankiely
31st January 2010, 04:34 PM
[Of course we're not wanting just a front facing camera. Camera for augmented reality must of course be the regular ones at the back. The front one is for video conferencing.Regardless of complaints, I think most people can agree that it is a pretty device. That said, nothing will make someone look stupider than holding up a 23cm long device up as a camera. I know I'll be laughing at them, it just looks funny.

And whose to say the next gen iPhone wont have wifi n (?? Is this the right one, or is it g?) where you'll be able to send photos to the iPad. There is also Bluetooth also.

How many people here have though, while walking around or at a café, gee I really want to video chat with person x? I'm betting most have rarely done it and when they have it would be more convenient at the PC (technical term; not Windows) anyway.

There will be a better camera with the next iPhone, I don't see much point with this with the iPad.

I can see people wanting multitasking, but for me; I don't need that either.

6andy6
31st January 2010, 07:10 PM
This i found on macrumors and i think he has a point to way there is no camera and i thought i would share it with you.

said by smurfjammer

Ummm - if it was a secured area that an iphone or ipad could not be used they would be checked in at security. And a camera is only useful if the hardware is on it - I am sure hareware can be disabled or other things used. I mean if its espionarge (sp) someone would screen dump the info and email it out or put it on a usb stick and hide it up the clacker. :crazy:

No I think its purely to enable Apple to give something to upgrade and maybe make more money next time pure and simple (or a camera may use to much battery and memory space).

mab
31st January 2010, 10:27 PM
Apple in probably still perfecting the behind screen camera (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/apple-patent-application-shows-isight-behind-notebook-screen.ars) when it's ready I'm sure they will include it

sleek881
1st February 2010, 01:41 AM
Apple in probably still perfecting the behind screen camera (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/apple-patent-application-shows-isight-behind-notebook-screen.ars) when it's ready I'm sure they will include it

I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for that, looks like it would be very expensive to implement.

~Coxy
1st February 2010, 10:51 AM
I expect that the iTouch got its camera removed at the last minute because they decided not to ship the iPad with a camera. iPad v2 will come with one or two cameras, and then the next iTouch after that will get one.

eaglesteve2
1st February 2010, 12:07 PM
I think the reason they remove the camera is to make it as cheap as possible.

dlmuller
2nd February 2010, 04:13 PM
The reality is the iPad is not really meant as a communications device in the sense that it doesn't make phone calls and any implementation of skype or VOIP is limited. My guess is that the next iPhone will have a forward facing camera for av iChatting etc and Steve will expect us to carry both our iPad AND iPhone - just like we do now!

bennettnz
2nd February 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm sure the apple team are scratching their heads trying to make sure there are still valid reasons for their different models - perhaps including a camera would have canablised laptop sales or perhaps not... is an ipod with a camera just too close to an iphone now that voip apps are available? It's tricky I imagine. Personally I initially thought it should have a camera but I hardly use the one in my iphone so I've changed my mind. Camera isn't a deal breaker for me and multi-tasking is not a feature I require. As I get older I'm all about simplifying things but maximising the experience and the iPad does exactly that. I can't wait to play with this thing. I really think it's the birth of a new personal computing movement and not just for apple, others will mimic and copy or come up with their own products. Products which are truly consumer centric.

lavo
2nd February 2010, 04:45 PM
Looks like it was possibly pulled at the last minute:

iPad Camera (http://mashable.com/2010/02/01/ipad-camera/)

I don't think it would have been a big issue with the placement, just move the bloody thing in your hands for the right angle! I bit of HTFU wouldn't go astray :-D

I think a better reason is the software is not available for it yet. I haven't bothered to take any notice, but how hard is the cpu hit when in a video call with iChat or Skype on a desktop/laptop? And furthermore, if Apple include a video capable iChat, does that suddenly cut out the competition with their policy of no 3rd party apps doing the same thing as the included Apple app?

It might not be the Apple just want to screw us over the buy the next revision, but an acceptable hardware and software combination is just not right as yet.

bennettnz
2nd February 2010, 04:53 PM
Is it possible apple have only shown us a "fake" model and will launch with a camera in them after all? It would be a big PR coup if they did. The old "under promise - over deliver" trick.

dotnet
2nd February 2010, 05:40 PM
The revelation that the iPad has provisions for a camera (an unavoidable revelation assuming that spare parts are not under NDA) is going to hurt sales of the camera-less models, hence one wonders whether there will be any. I curious to see how this plays out.

Cheers
Steffen.