PDA

View Full Version : Release date at JB-HiFi

ausdan
30th January 2010, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I was at JB Hi-Fi last night and the sales guy told me that they had been advised that they will be selling the iPad on 28 March. No pricing yet though.

NathR32
30th January 2010, 03:53 PM
Hi,

I was at JB Hi-Fi last night and the sales guy told me that they had been advised that they will be selling the iPad on 28 March. No pricing yet though.

Well considering that was the date Steve Jobs stated at the launch, I am not at all surprised.......

Ecto1
30th January 2010, 04:33 PM
I can tell you now that Australia will get screwed with pricing, look at the Mac Mini. On the Apple us store it's $599 but on the Australian store it's $849. Taking that into account I predict the 16GB wifi iPad will be $749AU.

Lutze
30th January 2010, 04:51 PM
I can tell you now that Australia will get screwed with pricing, look at the Mac Mini. On the Apple us store it's $599 but on the Australian store it's $849. Taking that into account I predict the 16GB wifi iPad will be $749AU.

/sigh.

Dude, the price for each device is set based on the exchange rate at the time of the product release / update.

For example - a better price comparison using the same system as your own (but not taking into account the 10% sales tax here in Australia) is the Time Capsule 2Tb. In the US it's $499 - here it's $649. If you add 10% to the cost of the US price and then convert it at today's exchange rate you see it's $620. Not far off.

A full $100 less than you are predicting. On top of that - this is Apple's headline product for the new year... it's going to be priced so aggressively it's not funny.

jack112006
30th January 2010, 05:10 PM
I would say that the 16GB iPad will run $599 over here. Apple are going to reduce their margins for it, but they will reap the rewards. Remember, Australia is now a major market for Apple, not the backwash it was a few years ago. If its $599, Apple will sell shitloads of the down under. Also, $599 sounds like a bargain to Joe Average. To them, their iPhone is $70 a month for 24 months. Thats about $1700 all up. $599 sounds a lot nicer. As for the release date, 60 days from January 27 does not equal March 27, it equals early April.

dolbinau
30th January 2010, 05:26 PM
Question: JB HiFi is into the haggling thing right?

Can you score a free iPad dock or something with the purchase :P?

gehenna
30th January 2010, 05:30 PM
Question: JB HiFi is into the haggling thing right?

Can you score a free iPad dock or something with the purchase :P?

How could anyone possibly know the answer to that, given all those products aren't even on the market yet??

dolbinau
30th January 2010, 05:32 PM
How could anyone possibly know the answer to that, given all those products aren't even on the market yet??

Oh, I mean by the precedent of past Apple sales.

mitty
30th January 2010, 05:47 PM
I would predict that the ipad will be very similarly priced world wide. Otherwise people would just import them from overseas from the country where they are cheapest, so really there is no point making them to expensive.

jesse
30th January 2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know why people even ask sales guys at JBHIFI/Myer/DJ's - they know less than the people following this forum.

gehenna
30th January 2010, 06:08 PM
I would predict that the ipad will be very similarly priced world wide. Otherwise people would just import them from overseas from the country where they are cheapest, so really there is no point making them to expensive.

Exactly, they're being sold unlocked everywhere aren't they so it's not like it would be difficult to import them

benzoenator
30th January 2010, 06:24 PM
The guy at JB would have been talking out of his arse - he would have said 28th because that's sixty days after they were announced; aka. most likely release date. The buyers for JB Hifi and the other big resellers would have no idea when they are going to launch, let alone the sales staff themselves.

eron
30th January 2010, 06:58 PM

Have a look at the ipod index: Commonwealth Securities October Global iPod Index (Table) - Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601091&sid=ahrKbuY0m0Tg)

Apple product prices will always differ across countries.

TheKeddi
30th January 2010, 07:02 PM
It's going to be like the iMacs that have just been released,

People will try to save money, get things free or such and then complain when the resellers have to wait longer for the product.

Just get it from Apple online and have it when you should.

babypoppop
30th January 2010, 08:27 PM
it would be interesting to see how Apple prices the iPad against the iPhone 3GS because Apple sells the 3GS outright, unlocked here in Australia starting from $879!

What do you guys think? Does the 16GB iPhone 3GS worth more than it's larger counterpart (i.e. the 16GB iPad with WiFi & 3G)? I certainly hope it does in this case because portability does costs more, like how the MacBook Air is relatively more expensive than the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Otherwise, the 16GB iPad with WiFi & 3G would be more than $879!

haydio
30th January 2010, 08:31 PM
Our buyers don't even know if we will be stocking them yet.

yagankiely
31st January 2010, 01:34 AM
it would be interesting to see how Apple prices the iPad against the iPhone 3GS because Apple sells the 3GS outright, unlocked here in Australia starting from $879!

What do you guys think? Does the 16GB iPhone 3GS worth more than it's larger counterpart (i.e. the 16GB iPad with WiFi & 3G)? I certainly hope it does in this case because portability does costs more, like how the MacBook Air is relatively more expensive than the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Otherwise, the 16GB iPad with WiFi & 3G would be more than $879!But they don't actually want you to buy them. They want you to enter a contract which is why they price the unlocked so high.

simplynick
31st January 2010, 10:16 PM
They will probably set it at a 82-85 cent exchange rate plus 10% for GST (GST needs to be included in the price, where as in US tax is added later) then that will most likely be the final price.
Also the iPad is in competition with the iPod touch, rather than the iphone, so overlapping iPhone prices wont bother them.

Rant
16th May 2010, 09:24 PM
I asked at JB HiFi today and they were expecting iPads on launch day, 28th.

They were sceptical about how -many- iPads they would get, as they got stiffed on the 27" iMacs. This store got 2x 27" iMacs in 4 months, one for display and one 'to sell', fantastic! They believe JB has a better deal with Apple this time around.

Should at least be able to check one out at your local JBs if you don't have an Apple Store nearby.

My previous dealings with JB indicate that they get 8% margin on Apple gear, so anything from Apple doesn't leave much haggle-room. If you buy additional stuff from other manufacturers (case, earphones, etc.), you might get a better deal on that making the total deal more attractive.

nando
16th May 2010, 09:36 PM
interesting giving the "shortage" of iPads worldwide..
its been one week and already iPad its been pushed (for those that preorder 3 days after preorders started!) for one week.
am wondering whether they are doing marketing / brochure talk.

mandiller
17th May 2010, 01:28 AM
I asked at JB HiFi today and they were expecting iPads on launch day, 28th.

They were sceptical about how -many- iPads they would get, as they got stiffed on the 27" iMacs. This store got 2x 27" iMacs in 4 months, one for display and one 'to sell', fantastic! They believe JB has a better deal with Apple this time around.

Should at least be able to check one out at your local JBs if you don't have an Apple Store nearby.

My previous dealings with JB indicate that they get 8% margin on Apple gear, so anything from Apple doesn't leave much haggle-room. If you buy additional stuff from other manufacturers (case, earphones, etc.), you might get a better deal on that making the total deal more attractive.

Good to know. I've put a deposit down on an iPad at JB HiFi. I was apparently the fourth person to reserve one, so with any luck they'll have one for me on launch day. I might give them a call this coming week and confirm with them if they will get them on the 28th. I don't have much alternative. I live in Brisbane, so there's an apple store, but I'm working on the 28th so can't pick my iPad up until around 3pm, so no way I can line up at the Apple store for one.

mandiller
21st May 2010, 06:14 PM
I went in and spoke to my local JB today. They said they expect to get stock on the 28th, at least they haven't heard otherwise. The guy said they would be very surprised if they didn't. But they don't know how much stock they'll get. I reserved one back on the 10th so they said they'll give me a call when it comes in and I can pick it up.

I doubt there will be much stock so reservations are essential I imagine. I'm 4th on the list, so I hope there's a 64GB wifi model with my name on it.

kyte
23rd May 2010, 01:22 PM
I went in and spoke to my local JB today. They said they expect to get stock on the 28th, at least they haven't heard otherwise.

Did you ask, or did they mention anything about accessories? I'm assuming they will have them, sometime, but (for example) the local JBs here at Kotara and Glendale don't have a lot in connection with iphone, but heaps of ipod stuff... I'm hopeful...

mandiller
23rd May 2010, 02:10 PM
Did you ask, or did they mention anything about accessories? I'm assuming they will have them, sometime, but (for example) the local JBs here at Kotara and Glendale don't have a lot in connection with iphone, but heaps of ipod stuff... I'm hopeful...

They said they ordered some accessories early on in May and they should be there in time for launch (maybe earlier). I remember him saying they ordered the Apple iPad case as well as a Belkin case, I'm not sure about the rest though.

mattatkins
23rd May 2010, 05:48 PM
I went to my local JB store on Friday and the sales person I spoke with said that they would have the iPad but that it was delayed till the start of June about a couple of days into June he said. I dont know if he knew they were being released on the 28th at all or not.

I also asked about accessories and he said he had look on their system and saw quite alot of accessories, which would be available when the iPad was released. I didnt query him about which accessories were going to be available though. I might go there tomorrow and ask someone else or maybe just turn up on Friday and see whats available. I'm after an Apple iPad case so hopefully they have them on the release date.

kyte
23rd May 2010, 08:29 PM
... maybe just turn up on Friday and see whats available. I'm after an Apple iPad case so hopefully they have them on the release date.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking to do - but only after my iPad arrives :)

nando
23rd May 2010, 08:30 PM
that will be cool if they have accessories on launch day..
am thinking of going to my local jb instead of driving to the apple store ...want to get a cover!

2fifty
25th May 2010, 12:19 PM
HAHA pretty sure jb hifi does not have reselling rights to the ipad so how could you of put a order in for one?

gehenna
25th May 2010, 12:22 PM
HAHA pretty sure jb hifi does not have reselling rights to the ipad so how could you of put a order in for one?

Yes they do.

2fifty
25th May 2010, 12:29 PM
where is your proof?

how do you know this?

gehenna
25th May 2010, 12:33 PM
where is your proof?

how do you know this?

The burden of proof is on you to show otherwise.

2fifty
25th May 2010, 12:37 PM

gehenna
25th May 2010, 12:41 PM
well i joined this cause i work at jb hifi, and i actually work and run the system so my idea of knowing about stock availability and selling might be abit well backed up..

So you are an official spokesperson for JB HiFi? If one of the many journalists that frequent these forums were to approach JB HiFi for comment, quoting your statement, they would be told the same?

2fifty
25th May 2010, 12:44 PM

gehenna
25th May 2010, 12:48 PM
Yep, im not an official spokesperson from Jb hifi but to find people speaking shit they have absolutely no idea about makes me laugh.

If you are correct then the only people talking shit in this thread have been the JB HiFi staff that have provided information to the users that have posted here. Perhaps you should direct your alleged claims toward the inadequacies of your own organisation.

2fifty
25th May 2010, 12:51 PM

gehenna
25th May 2010, 12:54 PM
Okay, i'm not going to further discuss this, you've got this idea that you're certain that jb hifi sell them so i'm just going to leave it at that..

I'm not certain that JB HiFi will be selling iPads, nor did I claim that there would be iPads at JB HiFi on release day. However, there is more anecdotal proof to the positive in this thread than there is to support your negative. We have only your claims as a new user with no historical credibility on the forum. Therefore we are no better or worse off in what we know than before you turned up.

thats awesome
25th May 2010, 01:10 PM
all i care about is whether they'll do 10% off or not. as we all know we don't go to jb for their great service =p

jobsta
25th May 2010, 01:14 PM
JB Hi-Fi and other resellers had to sign NDA's about the ipad as discussed in this article:

Retailers JB Hi-Fi and Dick Smith forced into iPad secrecy pact | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/special-features/retailers-jb-hi-fi-and-dick-smith-forced-into-ipad-secrecy-pact/story-e6frg1ac-1225870668765)

I suspect any knowledge of selling plans is way above 2fifty's pay grade!

OziMac
25th May 2010, 01:32 PM
Yep, im not an official spokesperson from Jb hifi but to find people speaking shit they have absolutely no idea about makes me laugh.

You're right, that's how I feel whenever I speak to anyone in sales at JB! :p

I'll say it once again, jb hifi does not have the rights to sell the iPad yet.

I'm not saying they won't get them, but there is no rights yet, with 3 days left to release...

Kind of inconsistent with the first sentence of your post...

I kid by the way, I love JB, but you just made it too easy. ;)

I'm happy to answer any question you have for me though.

To be clear: I kid. Welcome, and look forward to your input. :)

mitty
25th May 2010, 01:45 PM
Okay, i'm not going to further discuss this, you've got this idea that you're certain that jb hifi sell them so i'm just going to leave it at that..

i'm just sick of customers coming into my store and saying okay so i hear jb have stock, getting stock, or are taking orders..

Without wanting to take this to much further, but 2fifty have you considered the possibility that only people in upper management know that they're getting the ipad, they're under NDA and you'll all get a surprise when you go to work on Friday???

Unless you're the CEO (assuming JB has one) then I guess you definitely know for certain :)

Rant
25th May 2010, 01:49 PM
…we might get demo for display but there is no word on us being able to sell them as of yet...

Display an item you don't sell? Seriously? I do agree that JB may not actually know the strength of any secret deal they may-or-may-not have with Apple and whether they will get stock to sell.

I don't think Apple has enough stock for anywhere except the online store and Apple Stores. This is Job's excuse—sorry, demand is so high, we can't keep up. iPhone had waiting lists of weeks to get a phone—that's high demand! U.S. Apple Stores have stock, maybe not all models, but I don't believe demand is as high as Apple is making out.

The issue appears to be control. Apple doesn't want someone to walk into a store and NOT be able to buy iPad. Apple is also tightly controlling the iPad experience. Reviewers weren't allowed to take iPad out into public, so they didn't get a realistic assessment of the glossy screen in sunlight. I imagine Apple would dearly love to sell only through Apple Stores to control 'the experience'. They might for example, activate your iPad if you tell them you don't own a computer. That kind of thing.

JB is Apple's biggest reseller. Other resellers are advertising accessories. If there is an NDA, they would undoubtedly be likewise bound. Walk into JB on Friday and see if they have a display model and how long before you can buy one, i.e. actually take one home, not just 'place an order' and wait for stock to arrive.

poedgirl
25th May 2010, 06:07 PM
So I'm guessing that because of this NDA, we have absolutely no chance of finding out whether resellers will have the iPad until we go there on Friday morning?

Seems pretty stupid to me, tho it does explain some of the reactions I've got from apple reseller store managers about it, they've been sort of hinting towards them having stock without actually saying it.

Kievmeister
27th May 2010, 01:35 PM
Just came from JB Macquarie. Noticed the area at the end of the Mac table seems to be cleared out a little.

Had a chat about the HTC Desire and he suggested I wait for iPhone 4G. Mentioned that I had an iPad on pre-order but would have loved to get it from them—I shop there a bit. He said they were not sure but they may get some stock (nodding head) and may get some accessories (nodding head). Read what you want from it but I'd be there tomorrow morning if I needed another one.

aokman
27th May 2010, 05:23 PM
a JB in Melbourne has a display model out, i wont name it though just incase they get in twubble ;)

Rhino7
27th May 2010, 05:27 PM
With regard to Apple creating an artificial shortage, recently in Hawaii I was unable to purchase one, then 2 weeks ago I was in LA for 2 days and was also unable to get one there. You have to reserve one through the Apple store and it takes over a week on average to get there at the moment (in Hawaii and California).

Other resellers in LA had them at launch so don't stress too much.

Leopard
27th May 2010, 09:23 PM
Just got back from JB HI FI,Confirmed they are selling iPad in store.This being Bourke st store..Was speaking to the Manager there and Eventually she gave in and told me...I was around the door which was open and they had a few cages full of them,looks as though they have good supply of stock......
Look as though the guy on the Forum was right.............

auspad
27th May 2010, 09:26 PM
good news for those that didnt pre order

mattatkins
27th May 2010, 10:05 PM
Does any one know if JB hifi are opening earlier tomorrow or just their standard 9am opening time?

Cheers
Matt

poedgirl
27th May 2010, 10:36 PM
Several stores have said they're opening at 8am.

mattatkins
28th May 2010, 08:00 AM
Well I'm sitting out the front of my local JB store and doesn't look like they will be opening at 8am, no lights on in the place at all. Think I'll come back at 9am.

NathR32
28th May 2010, 08:10 AM
Well I'm sitting out the front of my local JB store and doesn't look like they will be opening at 8am, no lights on in the place at all. Think I'll come back at 9am.

Same here, no luck in ACT. JB HiFi in Belconnen wasn't even look like there was any chance of opening at 8pm.

JB HiFi in Civic isn't open post 8pm. It is a great thing having an internet kiosk in between JB HiFi and Mac1 (local Mac reseller).

Mac1 have all their iPad accessories out on display (ie Case, dock, power adaptor etc). Can't see any iPads out yet.
Edit: 8:11am - A guy opens the roller door, and takes largish two cardboard boxes in. Not a great deal worth of stock...

tdmc
28th May 2010, 08:12 AM
I was told by local JB that only 4 JB stores in Vic would have iPads....

GuruMeditation
28th May 2010, 08:26 AM
I was told by local JB that only 4 JB stores in Vic would have iPads....
JB Hifi web site has list of stores that will stock.
Looks like most regional stores miss out :(

kyte
28th May 2010, 08:33 AM
JB Hifi web site has list of stores that will stock.
Looks like most regional stores miss out :(

both my local have it. Maybe should have done that instead of preorder. Either way, I'll be paying a visit for accessories, once I have the iPad in hand. I think that camera connection kit is fast becoming a must-have.

mitty
28th May 2010, 08:43 AM
a lot of DSE stores appear to have stock.

insular
28th May 2010, 08:52 AM
a lot of DSE stores appear to have stock.

none in SA. well fucking done by DSE to treat us like bogans and give us nothing. another reason why i dont really shop there. burn DSE burn!

kjoy064
28th May 2010, 08:56 AM
Apple iPad | Dick Smith Online Store (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4bfef88700a9c6ac2740c0a87e010725/Catalog/CTG0006564?utm_campaign=HeroBanner&utm_medium=heroflash&utm_source=CTG0006564)

kjoy064
28th May 2010, 08:58 AM
JB Hi-Fi - SMASHING PRICES! (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/stores/category/ipad-and-ipad-accessories/)

poedgirl
28th May 2010, 09:00 AM
Apple - Where to Buy - iPad (http://www.apple.com/au/buy/ipad/)

According to that, Every JB-Hifi store near me has iPads.

ajbeardy
28th May 2010, 09:02 AM
No iPad at Top Ryde JB

Thrymr
28th May 2010, 09:15 AM
Apple - Where to Buy - iPad (http://www.apple.com/au/buy/ipad/)

According to that, Every JB-Hifi store near me has iPads.

Looks like they're still updating that list. I checked an hour ago and there were only three WA stores listed. Now a heap of them are listed.

mitty
28th May 2010, 09:21 AM
^They're probably updating as they receive deliveries.

dolbinau
28th May 2010, 09:50 AM
No iPad at Top Ryde JB

Probably because there are never any customers at Top Ryde :P...

Tzortst
28th May 2010, 09:54 AM
Just picked one up from DFO essendon, they had another 10 64GB 3G, not sure on other models

everunman
28th May 2010, 10:23 AM
Just picked one up from DFO essendon, they had another 10 64GB 3G, not sure on other models

Thanks for the heads up, i just got me one, people there were still trying to bargain them down:shocked:

Lots of staff not many buyers, seem to have plenty of stock

mac_man_luke
28th May 2010, 11:15 AM
Just got a promo email from JB re ipad

has a link to this list of stores with ipads:
JB Hi-Fi - SMASHING PRICES! (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/stores/category/ipad-and-ipad-accessories/)

Apple iPad - JB Hi-Fi (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/apple-ipad/?utm_source=mailinglist&utm_medium=20100528-edm&utm_content=20100528-edm-apple-ipad-body&utm_campaign=apple-ipad)

gehenna
28th May 2010, 02:37 PM
where is your proof?

how do you know this?

Looks like you were kept out of the loop eh?

Rant
29th May 2010, 10:51 AM
My JB display was half iPad, half Mac. They had stock, but not all models, and I think the best they had left was a 32GBWiFi+3G.

I have a couple of photos, but I'm miles from any kind of base to do anything tricky like posting them. If it's still a hot topic next week, I'll post them.

Reasonable stock considering. The Apple Store 'next door' had a queue for people buying, so there's iPads for the buying, at this stage.

After finally getting my hands on one, I don't see what the fuss is about. I love the glass screens on Macs, but it's really difficult to get a good angle on iPad, the glare was unusable in the Apple Store. They're just too crippled to do any serious work - the keyboard is only for hunt and peck typists and that'd drive me nuts. And the wifi speed, even in the Apple Store was dreadful. Slow wifi doesn't seem -that- bad on iPhone, but the bigger screen amplifies the inadequacies. Scrolling a google map, for instance was just painful. Nearly as bad as iPhone on 3G.

So close... but not there for me. Miss by an inch, miss by a mile. Not that I think any other manufacturer could do any better or even as good. Just that I can't see a place for it.

2fifty
31st May 2010, 05:51 PM
Looks like you were kept out of the loop eh?

we had signed an agreement to deny every single rumour of us selling them or us being able to tell people that we have stock till the initial release, i had no choice but to tell the internets that jb arent getting them..

chaosboi
31st May 2010, 05:58 PM
we had signed an agreement to deny every single rumour of us selling them or us being able to tell people that we have stock till the initial release, i had no choice but to tell the internets that jb arent getting them..

...and you also had to door knock on the way to work letting everyone know that as JB were not selling the iPad.

2fifty
31st May 2010, 06:10 PM
only cause its funny seeing people run around like maniacs or seeing people camp outside the apple store hours before the launch, or you couldve just walked into my work, seen the whole "apple experience" cheered on and taught everything you needed to know, activated your sim card with telstra and gone out with a cheaper price

gehenna
31st May 2010, 06:18 PM
You're missing the whole point of lining up for a product release if that's what you think.

Edit: and surely ignoring internet discussion regarding your store's involvement in selling the iPad would have been the better option, rather than joining a forum and posting misinformation that made you look foolish, however not as foolish as trying to save face about it now.

opilot87
31st May 2010, 08:33 PM

You mean 'we' as in 'JB Hi-Fi' signed the agreement and hence 'you' were not told about it. Don't embarrass yourself further

tcn33
31st May 2010, 09:15 PM
As the release date has come and gone I think this thread has run its course. Any retail employees who have been instructed to volunteer denials will have to find someplace else to do so.