PDA

View Full Version : Here's why YOU WILL buy an iPad

macuzer
30th January 2010, 03:40 PM
Even if you don't think so, you'll soon buy yourself an iPad - even those of you who swear you won't. It's because Apple have once again got it right. And here's why:

A brief history of Apple nay-sayers:

'People don't want computers at home' - that's basically what IBM and other computer manufacturers said when Woz and Steve invented and tried to market the world's first home computer. How many computers do you have in your home now? We have 6.

'There's no future in a GUI' - Xerox invented and sold the GUI (Graphical User Interface) to Apple for $50 because they couldn't see any future in it. Apple picked it up and developed it, Microsoft copied it, and the rest is history. (Oh, and Apple came up with a new-fangled 'mouse' thing that ended up catching on as well).

'This iPod thing is a niche fad' - When Apple launched the iPod the nay-sayers condemned it as a device that didn't do enough and was too niche. Today most people own at least one, usually 2 or 3.

'People don't want laptops without an optical drive' - When the (highly underrated) MacBook Air was launched people guffawed at its lack of optical drive and inclusion of an SSD. Today this is exactly what Netbooks are.

'Apple won't be able to crack the phone business' - Major phone companies laughed when they heard about an Apple phone, commenting that it was too hard for a 'start-up' company to enter the phone business. The iPhone slaughtered the smart-phone competition within 12 months.

'It's just a big iPod Touch - People want a computer' - In five years time we'll realise how wrong this statement is. With the Internet, the game has changed. People no longer want a computer in the 'Study' that has to be setup, virus checked, installed, upgraded and maintained. They want a device that you can turn on and use. This is the iPad. What Apple has realised is that 90% of people want a device that can do it all, but simply be a device - not a computer. Sure, we still need computers to do various work tasks (although these computers will no doubt change over the next 10 years) but consumers want a 'turn-it-on and it's ready' device to do all their online browsing, emailing, reading, gaming, video watching, music listening etc. The potential for application development on this platform is awesome - an unlimited number of devices that do their task by touching an icon.

So there it is - a device, not a computer without all the hair-pulling connotations that are associated with (particularly) Windows PC's. Here's a device that allows you to seamlessly do all your online stuff, entertainment and much more with the myriad of apps that will be available, but without the worry of a PC, and even without the need for a user manual. Time will show that Apple's gamble was correct, and future incarnations of the iPad will add more and more functionality, but remain a device that is deceptively simple to use.

Well done Apple, once again you've changed the face of computing forever.

dolbinau
30th January 2010, 04:08 PM
You make it sound like Netbooks 'copied' the MBA, lol.

ClockWork
30th January 2010, 04:15 PM
What about the very real argument:
I have no money and I'm in deep debt with the bank...?

chaosboi
30th January 2010, 04:17 PM
Awesome post and perfectly said Macuzer, you got it in one....in fact Apple did, your just stating the facts.

Phunky
30th January 2010, 04:22 PM
What you just described could equally apply to the functions that the iPhone currently performs - instant on, browsing, apps, games etc
IPad has a larger screen tho, so thats something I guess

DagrtheSnide
30th January 2010, 04:26 PM
This is not the only game in town, and if you think it is then you are blinkered, this extension of the iTunes store doesn't suit me so I'll see what other companies release and make my mind up.

mjankor
30th January 2010, 04:34 PM
I've been trying to tidy up my thoughts on this subject for a few hours now so I could jot them down in a new thread. This will have to do.

I'm beginning to see a clear division in device capability, ala the thin client idea.

Imagine we split 'computers' up into two sets of devices.

Information/communication devices, that are designed to be 'consumers' of the computing world. These devices will be used primarily for games, cloud information, communication, entertainment and very light productive tasks like note taking. These devices will be small, fast, lightweight clients, ala the iPhone, iPod, iPad that are designed to make information always accessible.

Then we have the production devices, that will be used for the heavy lifting, content creation, work, etc. Basically, these will be used as computers are used today.

There will of course be some overlap between classes, such as for gaming.

So, now we have two device classes.

The information/communication class consisting of the iPhone/iPod/iPad and all other similar devices.

The production class which consists of laptops and desktops running full OS X.

That's how I view the future of computing for the next 10 - 20 years.

The iPad does a good job completing the first class of products, and the production class has been 'complete' since the days of the Powerbook 100.

Now it's down to refinements, rather than massive leaps.

macuzer
30th January 2010, 04:52 PM
Imagine we split 'computers' up into two sets of devices. Information/communication devices, that are designed to be 'consumers' of the computing world.

- That's right mjankor, as in the OP the iPad is a device. When computers where first invented no-one could have imagined that people would be sitting in their lounge room, or cafe browsing the world, doing shopping, banking, communicating etc. So as people have changed, the technology needs to change to suit the people (not vice-versa) and that's what the iPad is all about.

jack112006
30th January 2010, 05:04 PM
As per what the OP said, I agree that the iPad is a device, not a computer. If you want a tablet computer, google "ModBook". But for me, iPad is perfect. It will take the place of all my textbooks, my student diary. And it also has the App Store for enhancing the device beyond my imagination. And Safari on iPad is perfect for the couch. I don't want an Apple tablet with OS X. I never did. If Apple put one out, I'm guessing a lot of people that argued for this will realise how stupid there argument was. But iPad, the device, is a much more relevant product and will have far greater sales than any OS X tablet ever could. And it will be because it's a device and not a computer. If you go out and ask Joe Average on the street and ask if they would rather have a netbook or an iPad, I think you will see that most people will opt for an iPad.

Alec Fraser
30th January 2010, 07:59 PM
Mate, I'm not going to buy one because I have no need for one and there are other things that I need to spend my money on.

If I put up a post saying "YOU WILL BUY A DACIA SANDERO" and list off a bunch of bullshit reasons why, that doesn't mean that you're going to.

Edit: also, the iPad doesn't suit everyone and it doesn't fit everyones needs...just like the iPhone. I know it's blasphemy to say so, but not everyone has to buy the thing. Apple may have got it right for you, but they didn't get it right for me. It's okay for us all to not own the same things and have different needs met by different devices, really we don't all have to own every single Apple product there is because "Apple got it right".

Right for me would've been an iPad 3 years ago. It's almost exactly what I wanted back then. My habits have changed, I don't travel as much, and I don't need one.

I'm getting a little tired of being told that I must buy something and that I'm not allowed to dislike it because "Apple got it right and it is magical and revolutionary". It fucking isn't, it's a big iPod touch. There's no revolution here...they've done it before in a smaller form factor and now they're expanding. They threw in a bigger screen, their own chip and reskinned some of the apps...that's pretty much it.

glitch
30th January 2010, 08:00 PM
I think you are entirely wrong, the naysayers are always there as you describe - but they havent been died in the wool apple fanbois in the past - this time many of us Apple lovers are saying this is a huge Fail.

As I have posted in other threads, I wasnt a naysayer with iPods, iPhones nor the MBA - I owned amongst the first in australia of all of them. This is different, it just doesnt make sense to me - or a lot of others.

Despite all your wishes and Apples spin, it wont be a device that just works, the world is too complex for that, it wont be able to view large chunks of the Internet because it cant play flash, it wont be able to play a lot of the video content out there because its not in Apple's proprietary form, it wont be able to open lots of mail attachments, the reason computers remain largely complex machines to operate is due to the myriads of standards, formats and protocols that abound.

Perhaps all of us who dont get it will be proven wrong and it will find widespread acceptance, maybe just maybe the optimists who see it as some sort of breakthough device that will change the way we interact with the virtual world will be correct, but my money is on a slow, long, drawn out death of an idea that was the answer for a question no one had.

Oh yeah, and as ThatFilthySpringbok said, I aint buying one, despite your patronising opening sentence.

eaglesteve2
30th January 2010, 08:18 PM
I thought iPod didn't make sense when it was released because I was already able to play music on my PDA. When iPhone was released I thought it didn't make sense because I was so happy with my winmo phones.

This is the first Apple product that I have no problem seeing sense in it the moment I see it demonstated.

Geoff3DMN
30th January 2010, 08:19 PM
my money is on a slow, long, drawn out death of an idea that was the answer for a question no one had.

It may or may not revolutionise the way most people consume content but my money is it being another device that makes a shit load of money for Apple.

And that at the end of the day is the only real measure of whether a product fails or not.

And you really have to be brave to bet against Apple making money...

Phunky
30th January 2010, 08:34 PM
From memory, Ipods were popular because at the time Mini Disc was already popular, having taken over from tape. But MD was still analog initially, and it was proprietary format. mp3s were on the rise because of sharing sites like napster and limewire, and being digital it was much more convenient to copy files. Later on MD went digital, but by then the war was lost and the ipod and other mp3 players were on the increase. I think Rio / Creative had an mp3 player out at that time too. They also had a mp3 jukebox or something.
I still have my MD players, and even a 'Network Walkman', Sony's version of an mp3 player, but it too used a proprietary format and syncing software. Having a remote with lcd display on the headphones was a huge thing then. Ahh the memories

EDIT - it was Sony's ATRAC format vs mp3

macuzer
30th January 2010, 08:53 PM
It's okay for us all to not own the same things and have different needs met by different devices, really we don't all have to own every single Apple product there is because "Apple got it right".

This is different, it just doesnt make sense to me - or a lot of others.
Oh yeah, and as ThatFilthySpringbok said, I aint buying one, despite your patronising opening sentence.

- I did point out in the OP that 90% of people are looking for a device that just works. I have no problem with the other 10% who don't think the device is for them. That's what iRiver, Zunes and Palm Pre's are for! Seriously though it's obvious that this is not a 'one size fits all' solution, but I'm betting that the vast majority has a use for a simple device that does all their Net stuff without the hassle of a computer. It doesn't replace the computer for the tasks that computers are/where designed for, but this device isn't meant to be a computer - that's the whole point.

bok
30th January 2010, 09:06 PM
Mate, I'm not going to buy one because I have no need for one and there are other things that I need to spend my money on.

So don't? No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you. The OP is merely predicting that you (and other people who have no need for one right now) will probably end up buying one anyway when you do discover a need.

It fucking isn't, it's a big iPod touch. There's no revolution here...they've done it before in a smaller form factor and now they're expanding. They threw in a bigger screen, their own chip and reskinned some of the apps...that's pretty much it.

There doesn't need to be a technological revolution in order to change how people use devices. The components of the iPhone were already quite common in other devices, no revolution there and yet its already completely reset the benchmark for what a smartphone should be.

I think you are entirely wrong, the naysayers are always there as you describe - but they havent been died in the wool apple fanbois in the past - this time many of us Apple lovers are saying this is a huge Fail.

Actually it is usually fanboys that are the naysayers. Mac forums don't just explode with non-fanboys whenever a product is announced although some do come along to troll.

Here's the deal: give it six months and wait and see. You're talking about a device that doesn't even exist yet. You can't possibility know all of its functionality because we haven't seen any third-party apps for it. Until we get to that point its as useful as an unbroken first generation iPhone.

-bok

The Fluffy Duck
30th January 2010, 09:49 PM
Steve said the ipad needs to do some tasks better?

I think he is wrong.

The iPad needs to do tasks neither phone or computer can do.

Alec Fraser
30th January 2010, 09:54 PM
Bok, I'm not going to. That's my point. My issue is with the OP arrogant statement that everyone who says they aren't going to buy one will see the error of their ways and we WILL buy one.

As for the rest of it, whether it lives up to Apple's hype and does revolutionize the way people do whatever or not, simply saying it's revolutionary doesn't make it so. It has to actually do something different, and it doesn't do a whole lot that's different from the iPhone or iPod touch in my opinion. And that's my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right...I may very well be wrong. I'm sick of seeing posts like this everywhere saying how I'm not allowed to have an opinion that is contrary to the word that Apple has laid down.

opilot87
30th January 2010, 10:13 PM
I wasn't really that impressed with the iPad when I watched the keynote, I was a bit disappointed as I thought it would be really revolutionary, but HARDWARE wise, it really is just a big ipod touch. The software makes the difference though. After seeing some videos I kind of like it though, and although the price is fantastic, I don't know if I could justify it when I have an iphone and a 13" MBP, which do what I want fine.

But I think over the next few years this product will really mature to be something great, the start of something great, where more and more devices bring multitouch. I also seeing it being much more capable of being a desktop/laptop replacement. I think soon iphone/ipad OS 4.0 will be previewed/released, which will already start bringing it many new features.

I can see myself using it on the couch, at the moment I usually spend quite a bit of time browsing the web, which would be great on the iPad, but I also like to have MSN running and chatting, but as the iPad can't multitask, it won't be able to replace my MBP. I'm fairly confident OS 4.0 will change this :-)

Ollie

cosmichobo
30th January 2010, 10:57 PM
I can see the iPad used in business presentations. Sure, it'd cost, but -

Bob walks into the meeting room, places his satchel on the table, opens it, and starts passing around iPads to the board members.

"Now if we'll all just press the "Keynote" button, we'll begin the presentation."

The members can flip through the presentation as they please, instead of having to wait for him, and/or he can use a Master controller on his iPad to control the others...

Everyone is holding the presentation in their hands...

Ok, so you'd want them all back again at the end of the meeting (!), but still... :)

macuzer
30th January 2010, 11:00 PM
My issue is with the OP arrogant statement that everyone who says they aren't going to buy one will see the error of their ways and we WILL buy one.

:D That headline and first sentence was just to get bites BTW! But that said, I really believe that there will be people who rubbished the device initially, who will be buying it in a few years time (albeit a modified incarnation). Back in the nineties I never thought I'd buy a mobile phone - why would I need to have a phone with me wherever I go? Now I don't leave home without it. Why? because the things we need to do, and the the way we do things changes with technology. Does change dictate technology or technology dictate change.... not sure, but one thing is for sure - things change.

cosmichobo
31st January 2010, 12:08 AM
Had to tack this on somewhere...

Just wondering how much the iPad will be in AU.. Yes of course, all a guessing game at the moment.

Closest direct price comparison is the Mac Mini.

The base model Mac Mini costs US$599.
In AU, the base Mac Mini costs AU$849.

The base model iPad is US$499.
Using above... the base iPad will be AU$699.
The top of the line iPad will be AU$1199...

IF however as we all hope... they just do a straight US$AU conversion...
The base iPad will be AU$549.
The top model will be AU$949.

(Rounding up to nearest '$50' used in all figures)

opilot87
31st January 2010, 01:02 AM
You can't compare the Mac Mini because that was released along time ago when currency rates were different. You also didn't include GST which is 10% different. Plus they want to make sure they have at least a small margin extra in case the currency fluctuates to make sure they don't get LESS than the US price. We would be extremely luck to get it for $599. I think realistically it will be between $599 and $675, most probably closer to $649.

Ollie

glitch
31st January 2010, 07:17 AM
- I did point out in the OP that 90% of people are looking for a device that just works. I have no problem with the other 10% who don't think the device is for them. That's what iRiver, Zunes and Palm Pre's are for! Seriously though it's obvious that this is not a 'one size fits all' solution, but I'm betting that the vast majority has a use for a simple device that does all their Net stuff without the hassle of a computer. It doesn't replace the computer for the tasks that computers are/where designed for, but this device isn't meant to be a computer - that's the whole point.

Pulling invented statistics out of your arse doesnt make them facts. I might equally invent the statement that 90% of people are looking for a device that can multitask, can play common web formats and is user configurable.

If it isnt meant to be a computer, what the hell is it meant to be? Its not a phone, its not a contemporary standard media player, its apparently not just a big iTouch, its not a netbook....

cosmichobo
31st January 2010, 08:13 AM
You can't compare the Mac Mini because that was released along time ago when currency rates were different. You also didn't include GST which is 10% different. Plus they want to make sure they have at least a small margin extra in case the currency fluctuates to make sure they don't get LESS than the US price. We would be extremely luck to get it for $599. I think realistically it will be between $599 and $675, most probably closer to $649.

Ollie

You're right. The Aust dollar is worse today than it was when the Mini was released. My estimate should be increased.

As for GST - it's irrelevant - the figure I used to make my estimate included GST, so so would the end figure.

iJohn
31st January 2010, 09:11 AM
People who want one, will buy one... People who are jealous and hate apple won't buy one(which are idiots!!)

glitch
31st January 2010, 09:39 AM
People who want one, will buy one... People who are jealous and hate apple won't buy one(which are idiots!!)

You missed the biggest group of people, People who wont buy one because it offers them nothing they want or need.

You probably also missed the second biggest group, People who will buy one just because Apple made it.

iGobbleoff
31st January 2010, 09:40 AM
i think it will more suit the people who are using iphone/ipod touch's in their field of work. The extra real estate would help, and there isnt a need to fumble around with folding screens, keyboards etc. The apps are already there (medical, couriers etc?) and the learning curve would almost be nil.

I understand both sides of the argument, but i think they made another niche market with this device.

mjankor
31st January 2010, 09:51 AM
Hey glitch. Post 7.

sobie2000
31st January 2010, 10:04 AM
This device has huge potential. Apple
have created a blank canvas for developers to create potential amazing apps for the device, just like the iPhone it's the apps that hav made it why it is today.

I have been paying close attention to my kids use of my iPhones since the keynote and the educational opportunities have me excited. My 2 year old is completely proficient at starting videos and playing puzzle apps, matching games, colouring etc. I can forsee the potential for the ipad to replace notebooks in schools.

I will certainly be getting one for my kids. I will also be getting one for my parents for couch internet surfing and emailing without having to worry about crashes and viruses.

The device may seem underwhelming now but wait 12 months for the apps.

Reubania
31st January 2010, 11:25 AM

AND the product refreshes and additions. I think Apple has purposely limited the hardware features initially. Like the iPhone, they want to see which route it will head down first. Then you will see updates that will streamline the device into where the market will eventually dictate it to be....at the moment, you are right, it is a blank canvas with loads of potential...but nonetheless, it feels underwhelming...

sobie2000
31st January 2010, 03:10 PM
AND the product refreshes and additions. I think Apple has purposely limited the hardware features initially. Like the iPhone, they want to see which route it will head down first. Then you will see updates that will streamline the device into where the market will eventually dictate it to be....at the moment, you are right, it is a blank canvas with loads of potential...but nonetheless, it feels underwhelming...

Yep. I saw a quote the other day - "V2.0 is where apple shines".

entropy
31st January 2010, 03:38 PM
You're right. The Aust dollar is worse today than it was when the Mini was released. My estimate should be increased.

As for GST - it's irrelevant - the figure I used to make my estimate included GST, so so would the end figure.

OK, I will have to work out Entropy's price guide, just for kicks (wet Sunday and all) with rounding up to the nearest retail number.

Current exchange rate is 0.884, but in my observation is that Apple usually drop this ten cents or so to cover exchange rate risk. That said, the AUD is expected to rise over the next few months (expected interest rate rises) so Apple might be prepared to go easy in this respect. Here we go:

Base price US$499,
ex GST @ 88 cents exchange rate = $564, include GST = $625
ex GST @ 80 cents exchange rate = $623, include GST = $689

Top flight 3G model US$829,
ex GST @ 88 cents exchange rate = $938, include GST = $1035
ex GST @ 80 cents exchange rate = $1036, include GST = $1140

Therefore, I suspect that the eventual Australian price of the low end model will be $649, and the high end, if Apple wants to make sales and gamble on the exchange rate, $999. Higher volume on lower spec models will make up for the risk at the high end, which would give the "below $1000' headline.

marc
31st January 2010, 04:34 PM
From memory, Ipods were popular because at the time Mini Disc was already popular, having taken over from tape. But MD was still analog initially, and it was proprietary format.

MiniDisc was digital from the very beginning (it's a digital optical media). The issue with MD was that you still had 74 minute discs that needed to be inserted and removed, depending on what you wanted to listen to. Yes, I bought a few of the early MD players. They were a step up from cassette, but basically just small (worse quality) CD players.

Does change dictate technology or technology dictate change.... not sure, but one thing is for sure - things change.

Technology developments enable change. Bad ideas don't stick, but good ones do.

can play common web formats

Flash won't be so common in 2011.

user configurable

People don't want "user configurable", they want "works the way I want". Subtle, but important difference.

If it isnt meant to be a computer, what the hell is it meant to be?

It's an appliance that does most of the things most people want to do on a computer, but does them in a totally different way. If nothing else, you have to admit multi-touch is more fun to use that a mouse.

+1

Some pretty exciting stuff on the horizon.

yagankiely
31st January 2010, 04:36 PM
Apple wont sell many high-end models if they are over AU$999. Especially when you can get a low-end MacBook for a similar price.

BTW, this thread is just a purposelessly verbose way of saying that; 'I will buy this because it suites what I want'. There. Done. (which it is for me BTW)

macuzer
31st January 2010, 05:43 PM
If it isnt meant to be a computer, what the hell is it meant to be?....

... It's whatever you want it to be - that's the whole point. For some people it's mainly an eReader, for others a gaming device, for others Social Networking, for others a video player, for others email or word processor..... etc... etc... The Apps you put on will dictate what this device is for you.

Brains
1st February 2010, 01:15 AM
I won't be getting one -- not until I can talk to it in plain English (I still want my Knowledge Navigator, dammit). The iPhone's been out for ages now and I still don't want one, and I don't see any use for the iPad in my lifestyle, not even as an e-reader (reading on a backlit display is painful and bad for the eyes).

achjimmy
1st February 2010, 10:55 AM
I can see the iPad used in business presentations. Sure, it'd cost, but -

Bob walks into the meeting room, places his satchel on the table, opens it, and starts passing around iPads to the board members.

"Now if we'll all just press the "Keynote" button, we'll begin the presentation."

The members can flip through the presentation as they please, instead of having to wait for him, and/or he can use a Master controller on his iPad to control the others...

Everyone is holding the presentation in their hands...

Ok, so you'd want them all back again at the end of the meeting (!), but still... :)

LOL if a company presented to me like this my 1st thought would be wow how much money are these dudes making to afford to do this!

Second thought would be to keep the I pad :tongue:

Jim

Mac Monk
1st February 2010, 11:54 AM
Even if the only difference from an iPhone was a bigger screen (and no calls) the iPad will be perfect for sofa surfing. I quickly get annoyed using the iPhone for this.

I also DON'T want to carry the iPad around with me to get phone calls SO...

The iPhone is perfect for on the go, and
The iPad is perfect for at home.

Simple really!

People that say it just does what the iPhone does are forgetting that the iPhone does damn near everything you could possibly want a small portable to do.

m_242
1st February 2010, 12:23 PM
LOL if a company presented to me like this my 1st thought would be wow how much money are these dudes making to afford to do this!

Second thought would be to keep the I pad :tongue:

Jim

LOL +2
Third thought would be, why didn't they just print this out?

dotnet
1st February 2010, 01:48 PM
Some pretty exciting stuff on the horizon.

Tell us more, please :cool:

Cheers
Steffen.

chrissara
1st February 2010, 02:04 PM
The OP is right is some areas - I could disagree with others e.g. the netbook/MacBook Air comparison.

Remember this is the first generation iPad. Greater and more powerful features will loom in future models.

The real clincher for me in the 1st gen is the lack of multi-tasking (or what appears to be a lack of multi-tasking) at a base core level. An example would be the ability to read a ebook etc whilst listening to music e.g. classical etc. Or even do your email and browse while listening to music.

Perhaps software app writers make include music (as an example) into the program - a bit like the GPS programs on the iPhone.

In many ways the real issue could be people wanting Apple to make an all-in-one device or a device to suit their particular needs. You can't please everyone so Apple in some ways are perhaps unjustly criticised for bringing out a product designed to perform some tasks very to extremely well, but lacking or non-existing in others.

Cassy
1st February 2010, 02:11 PM
The real clincher for me in the 1st gen is the lack of multi-tasking (or what appears to be a lack of multi-tasking) at a base core level. An example would be the ability to read a ebook etc whilst listening to music e.g. classical etc. Or even do your email and browse while listening to music.

I know the iPhone lets you listen to music while you email/browse (just double checked that :p) and most apps let you play your own music at the same time so I would assume the iPad would allow you to do the same.

Also, your avatar is hypnotising. I love it!

golfer
1st February 2010, 02:34 PM
I smile to myself when people say they'll wait for the next version. Crap! Every "next version" will be better than the current version of a MacBook, iMac, iPhone or whatever so why the hell say something stupid like "I'll wait"? So yes, i WILL be buying the iPad as soon as it is released, and then when the next version comes out I''ll probably buy that as well, just as we do with iPhones and iPods. You'll either buy it or you won't because you either "get it" or you don't.

marc
1st February 2010, 02:42 PM
An example would be the ability to read a ebook etc whilst listening to music e.g. classical etc. Or even do your email and browse while listening to music.

Apple's apps will most likely run in the background, where needed (Mail, iPod, Safari, Clock, Calendar etc).

So music, sending email and alarms will be fine. It's just 3rd party apps that are a no-go for now.

Tell us more, please :cool:

Nothing to say just yet. Should have a lot more info closer to the iPad launch.

lavo
1st February 2010, 05:23 PM
'There's no future in a GUI' - Xerox invented and sold the GUI (Graphical User Interface) to Apple for $50 because they couldn't see any future in it. Apple picked it up and developed it, Microsoft copied it, and the rest is history. (Oh, and Apple came up with a new-fangled 'mouse' thing that ended up catching on as well).

Ummm, Douglas Engelbart invented the first mouse in 1963. The first commercial mouse came out with the Xerox 8010 in 1981 (which also had the GUI that "featured" in the Lisa, the forerunner to the original Mac).

macuzer
1st February 2010, 09:17 PM
Ummm, Douglas Engelbart invented the first mouse in 1963. The first commercial mouse came out with the Xerox 8010 in 1981 (which also had the GUI that "featured" in the Lisa, the forerunner to the original Mac).

True, there were reasonably crude versions of the mouse long before Apple started using it (I remember seeing a picture of a big wooden box with some sort of wheel device in it) but the point is that Apple saw it (and the GUI) as the device of the future when other companies didn't. Apple certainly helped develop and popularise the mouse - I had one for my Apple II back in 1984 when most other computers where still using keyboard-only input.

Phormic
3rd February 2010, 02:37 PM
My wife is an intelligent woman. A voracious reader. However watching her use my Mac is a painful experience. I'm hopeless in the kitchen (I do try) and she's hopeless with a Mac. She does something in Word with weird formatting and then tries to save it. When she hits save, the folder menu pops up and...oh God, you can almost watch her brain throw a push rod and then a piston shoots out the side. I've put a folder on the desktop called "PUT IT IN HERE" but it doesn't help. She scatters documents everywhere, reopens the wrong one, loses files and then shouts at me in frustration.

Now the trap to fall into here is the usual, "I'm teh awesome at Macs and totally l337 and my wife is stoopid."

No.

My wife isn't stupid. Computers are stupid.

I'm getting her a iPad. She can do Facebook and eBay and stuff in Pages and feel CONFIDENT and EMPOWERED by technology instead of being made to feel like a simpleton by archaic design dating back a quarter of a century. Why should she need to learn about file locations and directories? She just wants to do something, then find it again. Not so hard is it?

The iPad is Apple's original mission made reality. "A computer for the rest of us". Good on them I say. Besides, I'm a graphic designer and that painting app looked crazy fun.

marc
3rd February 2010, 04:39 PM

Yep.

When a tool fails in the same way for a lot of people, there's something wrong with the tool, not the user. Completely agree.

I shall be buying many iPads.

lavo
3rd February 2010, 05:20 PM
And computer geeks wonder why the general population still treat them like a second class citizen.....

Thankfully the automotive industry didn't think this way, otherwise we would still be going to the front of the car to turn the crank in an effort to get the car started ;)

iTy
3rd February 2010, 05:27 PM
Apple wont sell many high-end models if they are over AU$999. Especially when you can get a low-end MacBook for a similar price.

BTW, this thread is just a purposelessly verbose way of saying that; 'I will buy this because it suites what I want'. There. Done. (which it is for me BTW)

$829 AUD for 64 Gb with 3G says I'll be buying one at launch :)

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read the footnote. It was from the Australian site so I was excited for a couple of minutes.

At least there's a USB adaptor.

Stevoid
3rd February 2010, 05:49 PM
$829 for the top model 3G version is a lot less then what I thought Apple would market it at in Australia!

I can justify that!

EDIT: Wait, I just saw at the bottom of the Australian iPad site (Apple - iPad - Price starting at US$499 (http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/pricing/)) that it's in US Dollars... Damn

macuzer
3rd February 2010, 08:17 PM

I'm getting her a iPad. She can do Facebook and eBay and stuff in Pages and feel CONFIDENT and EMPOWERED by technology instead of being made to feel like a simpleton by archaic design dating back a quarter of a century. Why should she need to learn about file locations and directories? She just wants to do something, then find it again. Not so hard is it?

Ahh.... the sound of a nail being firmly hit on the head. That's exactly why the iPad has been developed, and exactly why it ISN'T a 'computer' (as we traditionally think of them).