PDA

View Full Version : Will iPad/iPhone apps be platform aware?

Apoptosis
30th January 2010, 12:48 AM
The screen resolutions of the tablet and iphone are different as we're all aware. And while you can run an iPhone app just fine, it scales everything up 2x.

From what I can tell you don't get 2x the info on the screen, it's just 2x as large.

As someone who's 100% unfamiliar with the SDK and not had time to read everything that's come out about the iPad in the last few days: Will apps be able to tell if they're running on the iPad or iPhone and run with a different, optimised UI for each device. Or, will we need to buy a version of the same app for the different devices?

Obviously the first scenario is nicer for the end user...

Ta

peterjcat
30th January 2010, 03:28 AM
The first scenario is definitely Apple's intention.

dolbinau
30th January 2010, 07:40 AM
People claimed iPhone/iPad will be 'universal' (Like PPC/INtel) so I guess yes.

macgeek
30th January 2010, 08:12 AM
Yes. It's possible for the app to tell which device it is running on, therefore display a different UI based on whether its being run on an iPad or an iPhone.

Apps will be universal, so it will be possible to have basically two versions of the app in the one application.

In theory, app developers will be able to update existing apps to take full advantage of the iPad and they will be available as standard updates in the app store. I'm sure a few will try to cash in though and sell separate iPad / iPhone versions. :(

gamblor
30th January 2010, 09:30 AM
There will be three possible classes of application:

iPad Only
iPhone/iPod Touch Only
Universal

iPad Only applications will only work on iPad. There are so many possibilites for iPad applications, and this option allows them to make an awesome app without having to design a second interface for iPhone.

Likewise, some applications are better suited to small screens so will be only for iPhone/iPod Touch.

The universal applications will behave exactly as has been described. Upon launch, the app detects what device it is and provide an interface to suit.

The Fluffy Duck
30th January 2010, 01:54 PM
most likely but the cynic in me tells me your going to have to buy your iPad specific apps alll over again :)

jack112006
30th January 2010, 04:53 PM
The official stance by Apple, according to developer documentation is that you can have three types of Apps:
-iPhone/iPod touch only
-iPad only
-Universal apps for all devices.
I am guessing that most developers will opt for the third option and will make the iPad apps available by just an update if you have already got the app.

Anthonyw
30th January 2010, 06:59 PM
I'll be interested to see how many apps are converted. Alot of apps seem to be convenience apps (ie whip out your phone and quickly check something) which won't be anywhere near as useful on the iPad.