PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating Macbook air

pixelicious
29th January 2010, 08:16 PM
Hello lovely people of mactalk,

after only 2 years my gorgeous macbook pro gave up the ghost, and i'm finally starting to miss having a mac laptop within arms reach...

I've been spying the macbook air because it's very light, but with a 2Ghz Core2duo and a Nvidia 9400M (which was the same as in my mbp) it has enough grunt to do all the things I really want to do, the occasional xcode tinkering and play wow

Does anyone have a macbook air that they use to do anything like that? What's your experience like with it?

I'm actually considering taking a hard disk to an apple store and asking if I can load up wow / xcode and see how it handles :)

Cheers,
Pix.

PS. Anyone got predictions when the next hardware refresh for the notebook line-up is going to kick in?

glitch
29th January 2010, 08:33 PM
I dont play WOW but my MBA continues to be my favourite computer in the household.

Its funny with all the debate over the failings of the iPad - the MBA does nearly everything the iPad cant and is a similar form factor, in fact its probably easier and more stable to use on your lap on the couch or in bed.

If it can also run WOW you will certainly enjoy the MBA experience!

pixelicious
29th January 2010, 08:50 PM
yeah, but again MBA is a totally different product to the iPad. I look at the iPad for shorter encounters than a laptop, or when you don't need the power of a laptop. I'm thinking like sitting on the couch for 15 mins checking the headlines, or playing a game for 30-40 minutes.

Also it's under half the price of the MBA, so that's going to be a big factor.

so far some people have reviewed the MBA playing wow and it seems pretty good:
Playing World of Warcraft WOW on the MacBook | Gearzap Blog (http://www.gearzap.com/blog/2008/03/playing-world-of-warcraft-wow-on-the-macbook/)

Call Me Fishmeal.: MacBook Air: Rambling First Impressions (PG!) (http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2008/02/macbook-air-rambling-first-impressions.html)

from wilshipley.com
The Air runs World of Warcraft pretty damn well. Sure, I don't have, uh, specular water reflective anti-aliased spectroscopic quadrophonic roto-tilling turned on. But, you know, I can, like, heal things and run around and pick liferoot and run around some more. (PHEAR MY HEALING, EVIL-DOERS OF AZEROTH!

so it's looking pretty likely that's the laptop I'm going to aim for. Still would love to hear other peoples reviews of the air :)

Pix.

rmricky
29th January 2010, 11:41 PM
if it will be your only mac, don't even think about ipad

gareth
30th January 2010, 03:09 AM
Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle... macrumors

biggest issue is probably the 2GB of ram that cant be upgraded. This could go to 4GB in next update making it a worthy update.

pixelicious
30th January 2010, 01:55 PM
good point gareth, I've been keeping an eye on macrumors and it's another 30 days till the average cycle, I imagine though it will updates at a similar time as the iPad release date.

4 gig of memory would be awesome, but I'd also love to see a new battery!

Cmon 10 hour air!!!

also getting rid of the platter hdd would be awesome and stick to 128gb ssd or 256gb :)

soulman
30th January 2010, 10:01 PM
The Airs have a very slow disk - 4200 rpm 1.8" type - so I wouldn't bother with one if you can stretch to an SSD. They would be highly likely to ship with more RAM this rev too. I'm watching them as well. Kinda think an iPad would do me but the Air is such a cool bit of kit and, with an SSD, pretty fast really.

princearthur
6th February 2010, 12:38 PM
I'm using a MBA and I don't like it. It gets hot easily. And the SSD hard drive is not really fast. I still miss my 1.5-year-old macbook white which has 4GB ram.

I really think MBA is not a ideal desktop replacement especially when u open MSword, iTunes, PDFs and Firefox at the same time just because they don't have enough ram!

~Coxy
8th February 2010, 11:23 AM
The MBA is a bit of a toy, really. You could play WoW on it but with the slow, small hard disk and lack of RAM/CPU power then it's not going to be the best experience.

What if it gets too hot and decides to throttle down the CPU to ultra-slow speeds in the middle of a RAID? Your UI will lag and the MT will not be pleased with you if he dies. :D