PDA

View Full Version : 'Apple copied our iPad'

Bogus Jimmy
29th January 2010, 05:37 PM
Although all they did was copy the iPhone to start with, some Chinese knock-off manufacturers are claiming their Windows POS is the original and Apple copied them with the iPad...

THE unveiling of Apple's iPad tablet computer was one of the most anticipated technology events in recent years, but a similar looking device has been on sale in China for nearly six months.

The touchscreen iPad look-alike marks a new milestone by Chinese manufacturers: cloning a product before it had even been announced, mused Shanghaiist.com, a Shanghai city blog, and Shanzhai.com, a tech blog dedicated to Chinese copies.

But Shenzhen Great Loong Brother Industrial Co. - makers of the Chinese device, which resembles an over-sized iPhone - said Apple appeared to be the copycats. 'We don't understand. Why did they make the same thing as us?' Huang Xiaofang, an executive at the company, told AFP.

The iPad-like 'P88' was launched in August and was on show last year at the Internationale Funkausstellung consumer electronics fair in Berlin, she said. 'We launched it earlier,' she said.

Although thicker and heavier than the iPad, the P88's specifications boasts a slightly larger screen, faster processor, larger memory and, unlike the iPad, has USB ports, according to the manufacturer. But its battery life is only 1.5 hours compared to the iPad's 10 hours.

Apple's first iPads will ship worldwide at an entry-level price of 499 dollars in two months. But for gadget fanatics who cannot wait, Huang said the P88 is available now on Great Loong Brother's web site

'Apple copied our iPad' (http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/TechandScience/Story/STIStory_483815.html)

http://www.shanzai.com/images/stories/Yellow%20Tiger/P88-1.jpg

http://www.shanzai.com/images/stories/Yellow%20Tiger/P88-3.jpg

Image Source: Feats in cloning Pt.1: Shanzhai clones non-existent Apple tablet (http://www.shanzai.com/index.php/bandit-gadgets/media-players/339-feats-in-cloning-shanzhai-clones-non-existent-apple-tablet)

tcn33
29th January 2010, 05:55 PM
Well, this should be perfect for everyone who bemoaned the lack of USB ports on the iPad.

edit: and SD card reader, ethernet and stylus!

MrJesseRoss
29th January 2010, 05:58 PM
1.5 hours battery life. Awesome.

dekco
29th January 2010, 05:59 PM
it even had a VGA port for those who need one :p

bartron
29th January 2010, 05:59 PM
Well, this should be perfect for everyone who bemoaned the lack of USB ports on the iPad.

edit: and SD card reader, ethernet and stylus!

And full OS X

hackinpad ahoy

TheKeddi
29th January 2010, 06:00 PM
Woowoo! So there is something for everyone who hates the iPad!

wholikespotatoes
29th January 2010, 07:38 PM
Little too thick for my liking

WindowsVista
29th January 2010, 08:22 PM
hahaha it copied the iphone? hahahahahaha

Cybix
29th January 2010, 08:24 PM
oh gee. I really want that piece of sh1t device that looks awful, weighs a tonne, has a $2 display, and wtf.. is that a VGA port? I just looked at my ical and... it's not 1987... It's 2010! Even DVI is 11 years old.

am I narrow minded or do I actually care about aesthetics?

stab
29th January 2010, 08:45 PM
And it runs XP!!!! (which according to wikipedia debuted in 2001!)

Must be a dream to use...dare I say 'magical'?

(cough splutter vomit)...

Mohawk
29th January 2010, 09:32 PM
It's funny cause it's China?

Bogus Jimmy
29th January 2010, 09:38 PM
It's funny cause it's China?

Yes, the home of the knock off. The Chinese are getting very very good at knocking off everything from electronics to clothes, cars and cuisine.

dekco
29th January 2010, 10:50 PM
Yes, the home of the knock off. The Chinese are getting very very good at knocking off everything from electronics to clothes, cars and cuisine.

and they are equally as good as knocking off things that havent been made yet (such as the harry potter series :P)

princearthur
31st January 2010, 01:35 AM
but the fact is the their outlook really look alike, also the iBooks in iPad looks like a copy of 'Classics' which is an app of iphone

bartron
31st January 2010, 07:47 AM
also the iBooks in iPad looks like a copy of 'Classics' which is an app of iphone

I noticed that as well. I just presumed Apple purchased the idea from them

princearthur
31st January 2010, 01:09 PM
Classics says they didn't have anything to do with iBooks on the page of Classics of app store

marc
31st January 2010, 03:08 PM

Shame they're no good at knocking off software. Or user experience. Or anything that matters.

but the fact is the their outlook really look alike, also the iBooks in iPad looks like a copy of 'Classics' which is an app of iphone

Two points:
- Using a real life representation in a user interface isn't a new idea. Classics does it well, but I don't think Apple have any legal or moral reason to give any credit to Classics. It's an obvious thing to do (in 2010) and the look wasn't pioneered at all by Classics.
- Delicious Library was one of the first, if not the first "library" app to use a bookshelf in this way.