PDA

View Full Version : iPod (Yes, iPod) Docks and Big Arse Applications

woody993
29th January 2010, 11:55 AM
It's great that it uses the 30 pin connector, but how am I supposed to fit an iPad into a space designed for an iPhone or iPod?

iPhone applications: small screen, small images.
iPad applications: large screen, large images, large application sizes.

I ported one of my iphone applications over to an ipad last night, and when I say ported, I mean redid the images rather than just scaling them up. The iphone application was 98KB, the ipad's was 217KB.

tcn33
29th January 2010, 12:02 PM
I ported one of my iphone applications over to an ipad last night, and when I say ported, I mean redid the images rather than just scaling them up. The iphone application was 98KB, the ipad's was 217KB.

Maybe some of our dev members can address this, but there's speculation the path will be towards "fat applications" - i.e both iPhone and iPad versions in one. So in your case it'll be more like 315KB - triple the current size.

Might have to get the 64GB version instead of the 32GB after all...

LennyX
29th January 2010, 01:06 PM
From what I've read it sounds like the app bundles will have everything for all devices in the one download exactly the same as Mac universal binaries that are compatible with both Intel & PowerPC.

Pretty annoying since we've got a 10MB limit for App Store downloads over 3G and relatively limited storage space on older iPhones & iPod touches.

Aaron
29th January 2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe some of our dev members can address this, but there's speculation the path will be towards "fat applications" - i.e both iPhone and iPad versions in one. So in your case it'll be more like 315KB - triple the current size.

Might have to get the 64GB version instead of the 32GB after all...

ahhhh fuck I thought I would get away with 16GB.

semaja2
29th January 2010, 02:45 PM
Maybe the application will be in a bundle like it is now but remain 2 separate binaries...