PDA

View Full Version : Bootable USB

Richdave
29th January 2010, 11:39 AM
I want to create a bootable USB for a PC

The instructions I have say to hit the Options button in Disk Utility and make sure GUID Partition Table is selected as the partition scheme.

I don't have such an option.

I only have Apple Partition Scheme or PC Partition Scheme as available options?

The mac is running 10.5

Byrd
29th January 2010, 12:26 PM
Do you mean you want to boot off a USB stick on a PC, or Mac?

If it's for a PC, ideally you want to format it as FAT32 and find a utility that install the relevant DOS system files on it to make it bootable (assuming that's what you want to do). Not all USB sticks are bootable on a generic PC (read: the really cheap ones).

JB

Richdave
29th January 2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. I want to create a bootable USB device on a Mac for use on a PC.

The instructions I have state to select GUID Partition Table in options

I don't have this option when I open options in disk utilites on my Mac.

Richdave
29th January 2010, 01:30 PM
I think that my USB flash drive is not capable of being a boot device... ??

How can I ensure the drive I buy will be able to be bootable?

iPirate
29th January 2010, 02:02 PM
You need to partition the drive in Disk Utility, where you can select an option for what partition scheme you want.

Compatability with all PCs: Master Boot Record. GUID is only for EFI Macs and new PCs that use EFI properly.

Richdave
29th January 2010, 02:22 PM
thanks for the info,

This is what I am doing...

Insert USB drive
Open Disk Utility
Select USB drive (not volume)
click on Partition
Choose 1 Partition from the Volume Scheme
give it a name
select Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) from the Format drop-down.
Press the Options button to make sure GUID Partition Table is selected as the partition scheme

I get a drop-down menu with either Apple Partition Scheme or PC Partition Scheme as options.

I don't get a pup up with GUID Partition Table, Apple Partition Map and Master Boot record with radio button selection.

Does this mean my USB drive cannot be made bootable? Or am I making an error somewhere?

ClockWork
29th January 2010, 02:29 PM
Try giving it a partition scheme - Apple or PC, and then rerun the process.

Richdave
29th January 2010, 02:41 PM
thanks ClockWork for the idea.

I selected the Apple partition Scheme, then tried again but no option for the GUID Partition Table :mad:

Richdave
29th January 2010, 03:14 PM
I have tried the same process with my 2 USB HDD's and I cant make either of them bootable either :confused:

I suspect I may be doing something wrong :eek:

rmac
29th January 2010, 03:36 PM
what exactly are you trying to make bootable?

when i made my USB stick a Windows 7 ISO boot drive all i had to do was format it as FAT and then restore the ISO using Disk Utility as the ISO was already bootable

Richdave
29th January 2010, 04:06 PM
what exactly are you trying to make bootable?

I want to make a USB drive bootable using the MAC Disk Utilities.

I have tried to do this with my 16G flash drive and 2x USB HDD

I do not get a pop up with GUID Partition Table, Apple Partition Map and Master Boot record with radio button selection when I press the "options" button within the "Partition" tab in Disk utilities.

~Coxy
29th January 2010, 04:15 PM
But what actual data are you trying to make bootable? A Linux LiveCD, a Windows XP install disc .ISO, etc?

Basically Windows cannot boot from USB at all unless you fuck around with it a lot.

In any case, the correct format would be "PC" (Master Boot Record.)

ClockWork
29th January 2010, 04:46 PM
The steps as visuals, make sense up to a point:

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/usb00.jpg

1. Select the "top" name of the USB stick - the one which begins with its number of Gigabytes, as shown here circled in green.

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/usb01.jpg

2. Click the Partition tab, as shown here circled in green.

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/usb02.jpg

3. Click the Options... button, at the bottom of the Disk utility window.

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/usb03.jpg

4. And down drops that Partition formatting window. You select which partition format you want and hit OK.

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/usb06.jpg

5. However, given the circumstances of the failure you're experiencing, you might try selecting the Erase tab and then clicking once on the Erase button, as shown here in green.

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/usb04.jpg

6. Or selecting the Partition tab once again and clicking on the far-right Partition button.

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/usb05.jpg

7. And then clicking the next drop-down Partition button.

Richdave
29th January 2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks ClockWork for the effort in putting up your post... appreciated

I get to step 3 but DON'T get the option to select GUID, APM or MBR.

That is my issue.

I have tried to erase the drive and start again as you have shown but this does not help either.

The ONLY difference I see is that I select Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) from the Format drop-down. This is the file system I require

nibbles
29th January 2010, 06:17 PM
Mac OS Extended (journaled) is not a PC format, I don't have much idea about these things but try formatting it to FAT first

ClockWork
29th January 2010, 06:22 PM
If you choose anything, don't select Case-sensitive.

Richdave
29th January 2010, 06:50 PM
Mac OS Extended (journaled) is not a PC format, I don't have much idea about these things but try formatting it to FAT first

yes I am aware that the format is not PC compatible. I require the format none the less. The drive was initially formatted FAT so not sure if this will help but will try again.

Richdave
29th January 2010, 06:52 PM
If you choose anything, don't select Case-sensitive.

For the specific purpose I want, this format is apparently required. I will try to see if the other option will allow creation of a boot drive

Richdave
29th January 2010, 07:54 PM
ok so I just walked across the road and tried the operation on the neighbour's imac and hey presto works exactly as it should :D

Is it possible the creation of a bootable device on the mac at the office is somehow blocked for security reasons?? :eek:

ClockWork
29th January 2010, 08:46 PM
Is it possible the creation of a bootable device on the mac at the office is somehow blocked for security reasons?? :eek:

Now this you never mentioned...

If your machine is a client machine which is part of a greater server, then, yes, it is most likely that whomever set up the Mac network made sure you office guys couldn't feck around with certain default preferences.

Richdave
30th January 2010, 01:58 PM
Now this you never mentioned...

and IF I knew this was the case I would have... :slant:

Never having used a Mac to format a drive before I was following instructions and not very familiar with the way things "should" work.. :confused:

Appreciate the help anyway. :D