PDA

View Full Version : Tethering an iPad to a laptop?

samuelowens
29th January 2010, 11:05 AM
So, after my gut reaction of 'hell no - why would I want that?!?', I am now starting to examine the matter of an iPad 3G more rationally.

My two main uses of mobile data in the next couple of years are likely to be:
1. the commute to work (for which the iPhone currently suffices)
2. internet access when I am at my folks' country property.

I am thinking that the iPad would be perfect when commuting to work, but this would require a decent data plan (e.g. Telstra Business' 1GB/$19), which I was hoping could be used to tether too. This would then reduce the need to have a huge data plan on the iPhone account (I am thinking a $35 Telstra Business Mobile Plus plan would be ideal).

So, has anyone seen any information to suggest whether the iPad will offer tethering to a laptop? Many of the posts I see want to allow an iPhone to tether to an iPad, but don't look at tethering an iPad to a laptop.

evmorg
29th January 2010, 11:26 AM
Off the top of my head, I don't see the need for tethering if you have an iPad. It would do pretty much everything you'd want to do on a laptop with an internet connection, I would have thought email, web browsing, etc. Regardless of whether it was tethered or not, you wouldn't do any heavy downloading or uploading due to the cost of data. So why would you tether it? I can see the point using an iPhone to tether to a larger-screen, keyboard-provisioned laptop, but not from an iPad.

samuelowens
29th January 2010, 11:37 AM
I'm wanting to write essays etc on a laptop involving extensive cut and paste from the internet, which would get mighty tiresome, mighty quick on an iPad, even with the keyboard doohickey attached.

rsimmons
17th April 2010, 07:53 AM
Off the top of my head, I don't see the need for tethering if you have an iPad. It would do pretty much everything you'd want to do on a laptop with an internet connection, I would have thought email, web browsing, etc. Regardless of whether it was tethered or not, you wouldn't do any heavy downloading or uploading due to the cost of data. So why would you tether it? I can see the point using an iPhone to tether to a larger-screen, keyboard-provisioned laptop, but not from an iPad.

SamuelOwens...don't you just hate it when someone tells you what you don't need? I know I do.

I'm also really interested in knowing if I can teather the iPad to a laptop...and we shouldn't have to explain or justify our reasoning. Right?

Hopefully we'll find an answer out there. Good luck!

TheKeddi
17th April 2010, 08:45 AM
I don't think you would be able to, AT&T have an unlimited ipad 3G plan for 30 bucks in the US, they wouldn't want people using that data on a normal computer. So with that reasoning, I would highly doubt it.

Would be good though!!!!

Alessiman
17th April 2010, 09:38 AM
So, has anyone seen any information to suggest whether the iPad will offer tethering to a laptop? Many of the posts I see want to allow an iPhone to tether to an iPad, but don't look at tethering an iPad to a laptop.

Assuming you have a data plan on the laptop working. Then you can just use internet sharing

System Preferences - sharing - Internet

Select Airport, configure a name for the ad-hoc network and connect your iPad to that

TheKeddi
17th April 2010, 09:47 AM
Assuming you have a data plan on the laptop working. Then you can just use internet sharing

System Preferences - sharing - Internet

Select Airport, configure a name for the ad-hoc network and connect your iPad to that

I think he is asking it to be the other way around? Like a 3G ipad sharing it's data allowance with the laptop?

I could be wrong though! I often am! lol

decryption
17th April 2010, 10:53 AM
"tethering" a laptop to anything is pretty easy - just use the Internet Sharing options in the System Preferences. You can share your 3G dongle, or ethernet connection, over wi-fi to an iPad or any other wi-fi device.

samuelowens
17th April 2010, 11:43 AM
I think he is asking it to be the other way around? Like a 3G ipad sharing it's data allowance with the laptop?

I could be wrong though! I often am! lol

Correct. I want to know if I can use an iPad 3G like a giant iPhone.

It's just that Telstra has very good rates for wireless broadband, but utterly crap rates for mobile data packs. Therefore, if possible, I'd like to get away with my existing $10 spend on data on the phone and use the $29.95/1GB data instead...

macfixer01
16th May 2010, 06:07 PM
Correct. I want to know if I can use an iPad 3G like a giant iPhone.

It's just that Telstra has very good rates for wireless broadband, but utterly crap rates for mobile data packs. Therefore, if possible, I'd like to get away with my existing $10 spend on data on the phone and use the $29.95/1GB data instead...

I would like to do the same thing as Samuel. I am forced to carry a PC laptop for work and have to use my company supplied Blackberry as a cellular modem for it. The Blackberry is utter crap in so many ways, and also has poor signal coverage through Sprint almost everywhere I go. Add to that 2 or 3 times a year the combination charger/data port USB connector wears out and I have to be without a phone a couple days waiting to get the phone replaced by my employer. I would love to have an iPad anyway but would more readily spend the money if it made my work life easier too by replacing the Blackberry as my laptop internet connection when I'm on the road.

macfixer01

Beaner
17th May 2010, 09:49 AM
LOL hate to re-use a line from another thread in the forums but how thick are people in this thread to not understand what the OP is asking.

It's obvious he wants to enable tethering on his Ipad to give his laptop an internet connection.

AFAIK this feature simple isn't enabled on Ipad yet so un jailbroken it's not possible.

The_Hawk
17th May 2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know if I asked this exact question on the forums or not but have definitely asked some colleagues at work.

The joy of tether an iPhone is that you have a data connection away from your computer + the ability to connect to the net when your at your computer. While you can share a USB dongle and make an ad hoc WAP it doesn't really help you on the train.

A MiFi or similar will provide what you want, but then it's just another thing to carry.

For many people an option to tether their iPad as a modem for occasional (or full time) use would be a godsend.

The other option which is entirely possible (and hopefully one day *fingers crossed*) is that telco's provide a multi SIM service where you get xxGB of data for a fixed price + $xx per extra SIM. The idea being that you could have data shared across your iPhone, iPad, USB dongle and whatever else you might have. While there are options right now for things like this, the extra SIM costs mean it's usually worth just paying the $20 to get the 1GB service for your iPad.

andrewlachlan
1st August 2010, 07:11 PM
Id like to do the exact same thing... is there a way (or an app out there) that lets you create a wifi network that you could join with your laptop to use the ipads 3G connection?

Tzortst
1st August 2010, 07:33 PM
It's possible and easily done providing you have jailbroken you ipad, if you have then get a hold of mywi this allows you to share your ipad connection with laptops etc.

steveski74
30th September 2010, 11:37 PM
I don't see the need for tethering if you have an iPad. It would do pretty much everything you'd want to do on a laptop with an internet connection

I find these kinds of comments quite insulting. Clearly people just respond without realising that what THEY would need it for isn't the only thing others might need it for.

I participate in an activity called Geocaching. I like to use geocaching.com to run queries and get a .gpx file to load onto my gps over USB cable. Having a laptop with mobile internet is great because if you're on the road and want to query an area you're in you can quickly transfer a stack of geocaches onto the GPS nearby. First off the interface on the iPad is clunky for doing things super quick and efficiently, and secondly even if I do browse in iOS Safari, I can't plug in my GPS to the iPad to transfer waypoints! So this is a prime example of why tethering a laptop to an iPad to use its 3g internet is a good idea. Especially in Australia where pre paid mobile broadband prices are ridiculously expensive. I don't want a fourth internet account in my life.

Steve

iGobbleoff
1st October 2010, 12:35 PM
4.2 beta apparently has it:

iPad 4.2 Beta 2 Adds Tethering Settings - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/29/ipad-4-2-beta-2-adds-tethering-settings/)

Devil rolla
1st October 2010, 01:02 PM
Not sure if that has been confirmed in Aus.

smudo
4th October 2010, 04:38 PM
want allow to pair with any other device than a keyboard... at least with the latest beta. So either use iPShare or MyWi on a jailbroken ipad or iphone.

willpower101
5th November 2010, 08:23 AM
/facepalm This thread is so full of fail... it's also the first result on google :P