PDA

View Full Version : Missing Stylus, Your thoughts?

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 11:01 AM
As I have mentioned before I think it needed a stylus. Not to control the dam thing but to copy down notes. It could be like the keyboard a secondary imput that represents one fuction. The ability to copy hand notes is something that WOULD separate it from a computer and an iPod touch. Becasue this "third" catagory is still in my opinon still missing.

If people are running aroun calling it a big iPod touch, Apple obviously didnt seperate its functionality enough from the other products.

Becasue at the moment there is NOTHING it can do that I cant do perhaps even better on my computer/ iphone. Not a single function!

But if it had a stylus for copying down notes that would be somthing it could do and it would defiantly have a market.

Whats your thoughts?

nightelves
29th January 2010, 11:54 AM
Pogo Stylus

gehenna
29th January 2010, 11:57 AM
This has already been answered in the other thread you mentioned it in here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=927332#post927332)

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 12:39 PM
That pogo thing is not a solution. Have you seen how thick it is? HAve you read the reviews?

What I am trying to get going is a discussion on what people think of the break from form. Every other tablet has had one and this doesnt. What do peopel think about its absence

Exocet
29th January 2010, 01:04 PM
Every other tablet has required a stylus because the interfaces were simply the existing OS with a touchscreen overlayed. It wasn't optimised for use by fingers, and required pinpoint accuracy.

The iPad and iPhone OS have been designed from the ground up for use with the hands and fingers and such pinpoint accuracy isn't required. I'm sure that if somebody wants a drawing or note-taking app which requires a stylus there can (and will) be one created.

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 01:10 PM
God I hope your right.

Exocet
29th January 2010, 01:20 PM
Well the first thing you should do is send feedback to the makers of PogoStick and ask them for a stylus with a more pen-like nib on it. Unless they know the demand is there they're hardly going to do anything.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 01:29 PM
I have to admit I wanted an optional stylus for it, simply because I wanted a sketching app and finger painting is not really good enough. Though i wonder if you could even build a screen that would be suitable for both and be as good as a cintiq screen.

MissionMan
29th January 2010, 01:30 PM
Just because the nib on a pogo is thick doesn't mean the actual ink has to be. Thats why most packages allow you to adjust the nib size. This is pretty thin.

http://img.skitch.com/20100129-mtqmawjd95b5a5f7qgp8w6jdb3.render.png

mallo
29th January 2010, 01:37 PM
Why is there a new thread for every thing people like or dislike about the iPad?

Why can't the discussion happen the 'general' threads?

Maybe these two?

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/80239-so-now-you-have-seen-will-you-buy.html

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/80284-dear-steve-i-have-question-about-ipad.html

</backseat modding>

tcn33
29th January 2010, 01:56 PM
Because the second we do that, we get accused of stifling people's opinions and/or "how dare you merge my thread about 'why the iPad sucks' with one about 'why the iPad blows' when they are COMPLETELY different things!" etc etc etc.

In a week things will quiet down a little. Until then you can always use a custom search to find new posts but exclude the iPad forum, like so:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=57

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 02:15 PM
The thickness of the handwriting need not have anything to do with the size of the pen. The software should let you choose any thickness you require. You should be able to use either your finger or pen to do the drawing if the software is designed right.

ozerus
29th January 2010, 02:26 PM
I believe the stylus this is about the technology it's self, it's my understanding that stylus based input requires a certain type of sensor overlay/underlay/whatever to register the conductive tip/pressure from the stylus it's self and that the finger based sensor system uses a different type of technology and that the two as of right now are mutually exclusive and incompatible with one another.

I could be wrong though and I believe that the Pogo stick thing is registered as a finger not a pen/stick/object.

Cybix
29th January 2010, 03:20 PM
stylus are shite... no wonder PDA's and previous tablets FAILED. pfft. multitouch ftw!

johnq
29th January 2010, 03:38 PM
I've had loads of Stylus based PDA's, a couple of Newtons, several windows based starting with a Cassiopeia, loads of Palms, a couple of Treos,....

As a navigation method they are all inferior to the iPhone/iPod touch finger with Apple's touch based interface. Interestingly if you take a look at what can be achieved using something like Brushes (Brushes (http://brushesapp.com/)) on the iPhone I would suggest even drawing is more than just possible using your finger (at least for some).

I understand your point about note taking, but doesn't a soft (therefore silent) keyboard work as well (if not better)? On a more or less full size keyboard you should be able to type at least as fast as you can scribble!

Regards

John

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 03:42 PM
It has been stated a few times that the drawing is for diagram, illustrations, etc, which a keyboard can't do.

One solution I can think of is to use a pen to draw on paper, then at a later point use iPhone to take a picture on it, email to yourself, then use cut and copy to insert into the note which presumably is done with iWork. Not everything needs to be done directly into the iPad.

If I'm a student, that's probably what I would do. The diagram that I copied during the lecture is likely to be extremely untidy and I won't want to use it directly. I would rather go home to redraw it nicely and neatly (which is itself a way to reinforce my memory on how it should look like), take a picture of it, then insert into my typed note.

But, I'm not discounting the importance of having a drawing feature in iWork (not sure if it has that already).

~Coxy
29th January 2010, 04:20 PM
Navigation and such is fine with fingers, but for games or precise, repetitive movements a stylus is vastly superior. I don't know if any of you like card games but compare solitaire on iPhone to DS sometime - it's basically unplayable for any length of time on the former.

Now where a stylus falls behind is on multi-touch stuff. If your game uses two hands then it's going to be a lot better on the iPad than the iPhone, just from the increased screen real estate.

ziggotron
29th January 2010, 11:18 PM
A pogo stylus is just a replacement for a finger, a real stylus has pressure sensitivity and pixel accuracy. Of course, if Apple had made something with a digitiser and an optional pen input, the iPad would just be a cheap Cintiq and all designers would be all over it, but it's not.

The Fluffy Duck
30th January 2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah those who keep saying "get a pogo shutup", are clearly not designers/artists lol.

Exocet
30th January 2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah those who keep saying "get a pogo shutup", are clearly not designers/artists lol.

Do you want to annotate notes or do you want to do creative work on it? Make up your mind.

jesse
30th January 2010, 12:04 PM
I really hope that a software solution comes out that utilises the multitouch in a way that a stylus isn't necessary. I see the advantage of a stylus in some cases; but for basic note taking and idea sketching multi touch and some custom UI implementation should be able to do the trick.

I can see applications like photoshop/Illustrator (equivalents) moving their point and click interfaces (stylus is a mouse pointer/clicker essentially) to something more friendly to touch.

I can see a couple of ideas:

1. Offsetting the draw location from under you finger to a visibile spot that can be customised.
If you don't like the sound of this because you think offsetting a touch location would be confusing - you've been offsetting your hands position with your mouse -> screen work for years - this is just a new pattern that people can adapt too.

2. Using other fingers,touches as modifiers. - can't argue with that

http://seoulcitymetro.com/images/ipad_no_stylus.png

I can see graphic designers just wanting a stylus for their drawing - but this device is not for your old habits. It's time to get new ones! :cool:

ziggotron
30th January 2010, 12:52 PM
You can solve some problems with multitouch, but most of you aren't understanding the point of pressure sensitivity. For digital artists, this is very important as you cannot replicate or simulate real brush strokes without variable thicknesses as you'd get from a real brush stroke.

For example if you draw harder, you get thicker and darker strokes - you simply cannot do this with the regular iPad or iPhone multitouch displays right now. This is why telling designers/artists to make do with a pogo stylus is pretty much a moot argument.

Of course everyone has different needs and it's clear Apple isn't targeting the creative market for this device.

gehenna
30th January 2010, 01:20 PM
Of course everyone has different needs and it's clear Apple isn't targeting the creative market for this device.

I like your argument, you're probably going to be interested in something like this (http://gizmodo.com/5458780/the-next-touchscreens-will-be-very-sensitive-about-how-hard-you-poke-them)

The Fluffy Duck
30th January 2010, 01:50 PM
Do you want to annotate notes or do you want to do creative work on it? Make up your mind.

Both, I am digital artists but also a science student.