PDA

View Full Version : A Wall of iPads

bigg
29th January 2010, 09:50 AM
Now people are thinking outside the square :)

Melbourne Architects. ClarkeHopkinsClarke (http://melbournearchitects.blogspot.com/)

I can see this being big a events like MotorShows, Techno Shows,Book Stores

W2ttsy
29th January 2010, 10:58 AM
i would have thought that large scale plasmas would be more cost efficient for digital walls. still the concept is nuts...

im hoping that one or another companies releases an iPad application for house automation. Sort of like the Harmony remote on steroids...

nizzie
29th January 2010, 11:33 PM
Wow. way awesome!

iJohn
30th January 2010, 07:46 AM
FUCK thats unreal!!

innocenti
30th January 2010, 08:18 AM
A very pretty and exciting concept but sadly it only takes some basic maths to work out that this is not a feasible concept....

10 iPads high, 30 iPads across = 300 ipads. Even if you could get them for $499 each (which I doubt they will be in Australia, even purchased in bulk) that's $150,000 just for the screens. Then you need to mount them - no vesa points on the back from what we know so far. Dock connectors x 300 will surely add to the price, as well as an insane power and data loom to join them all together (you can't just plug 100 kambrooks together). Then you need to secure them so that they don't get pinched. This is before you have even started looking at the cost of developing the software to drive it and the content to display on them, which is often overlooked and will have a significant price tag if you want it to be any good. If you wanted to rent it out for Exhibitions you would need to factor in road cases, storage, delivery, installation and dismantling time as well as on-site technical support. The overall cost could easily get up to $250k without batting an eyelid.

I work as a Project Manager in the exhibition and retail industry so I'm not talking out of my arse here. It's great to see people exploring the options with new technology but
sadly the harsh realities of economics spoil everyone's party most of the time. I would think the best chance we have of seeing this in real life is if Apple used a smaller version in their retail stores.

nizzie
30th January 2010, 01:29 PM
all slightly innovative projects are costly aren't they? I'm sure they can get a bulk discount for this! LOL!

pixelicious
30th January 2010, 01:51 PM
This kinda defeats the purpose of the iPad for me, my impression from the released footage and reviews is that a lot of the feeling is imbued by holding it. So all that would be lost if they were stuck to a wall :(

bigg
31st January 2010, 10:33 AM
I mean you dont really need 300 iPads.

Im sure other options eg 6 x 4 50'' plasmas up the top and 1 row of iPads
so people can search what they want followed by another row of plasmas.

There are just so many things you could do with them