PDA

View Full Version : Things missing from the iPad!

Hex
29th January 2010, 06:04 AM
These are the things missing from the iPad that will make me keep my crappy notebook.

-Printing my job requires me to be able to print documents from work e-mails documents etc (Share a printer over a network)...

-File Sharing I would like the ability to share files over a network documents mostly.

-Num-pad I need the ability to enter numbers quickly using a traditional keyboard with numpad for ordering purposes.

-The ability to save pages and numbers files to Microsoft excel/word file formats this may be an option already but it is a must. Perhaps we will see word/excel on the iPad in the next few years but I would not hold my breath.

in the next few years I would like to see iPhoto and iMovie not photos and movies but a true experience like the iMac at home hell make it sync to the iMac at home the addition of these 2 apps would make me use my iMac a whole lot less and my iPad more I may even by pass my mac all together at times and upload photos directly to it.. I think apple under estimate the importance of a MMC slot built in. Could you imagine the wow factor bringing your iPad to a friends and popping there MMC in to view there latest photos I think that would give it a better WOW factor..

Let me read my god damned paper on the thing the herald sun hell even zoo weekly or picture magazine id go nuts with purchasing!

in summing up I believe at the moment the iPad is a little to much like a iPhone and not enough like a mac/pc hopefully in the next few years this changes with model updates and software revisions! At the price I can see myself buying 1 every 12 months like an iPhone as opposed to every3-4 years like my iMacs....

Quasar
29th January 2010, 06:57 AM
My main beefs are the ones that are pretty common.

1. no microsd/sd slot
2. no multitasking
3. no webcam

Though really when it comes right down to it, its #1 that will be most annoying.

Ecto1
29th January 2010, 07:11 AM
1. no microsd/sd slot

You can get an SD reader adapter that pugs in the 30 pin connector. Go to the bottom of the page (http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/specs/)

Quasar
29th January 2010, 07:17 AM
You can get an SD reader adapter that pugs in the 30 pin connector. Go to the bottom of the page (http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/specs/)

True enough, though I find that really ugly/clunky compared to a slot like on a camera. That makes me wonder how long before someone makes a USB adapter like that.

One thing I also wonder is why Apple continues to not offer wireless syncing with iTunes.

titan44
29th January 2010, 08:46 AM
It seems that some people still aren't getting it.

You have to view this thing in it's primary role, and where it fits into the apple ecosystem.

1. Content Creation - Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook (& Pro).
2. Communicatons - iPhone, and to a lesser extent, the Touch
3. Content Consuming - the iPad, AppleTV

This is where it fits, it's not meant to be a content creation device, sure i can do it, but it's not it's primary role, ergo, making it so isn't going to be high on the priorities list.

If creating content is one of your primary goals, this isn't the device your looking for.

johnq
29th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Well said Titan44.

This little baby is primarily a READER. Those who read (books, magazines, newspapers, web pages, etc) are going to love it. There will be no better way to consume magazines and newspapers. Those of us who do this on the iPhone or iPod Touch KNOW that the extra screen real estate is going to be great.

It will double duty as an email client, a video player, word processor, spreadsheet device, presentation device and especially games device.

It wont REPLACE a desktop or laptop as most peoples primary content creation device, but I know I will use one on the couch in preference to either my phone or my laptop. In my house my partner hogs the laptop for facebook and I am left with the phone. I think we will probably end up with an iPad each!

The only issue that I hope Apple deals with it is the need for a simple OVER THE AIR way to sync parts of my iTunes AND iPhoto libraries to it.

I can't wait!

John

DagrtheSnide
29th January 2010, 09:17 AM
The iPad is a nice product but I won't purchase one,

No webcam,
No flash support,
No wireless sync with iTunes.

titan44
29th January 2010, 09:28 AM
The iPad is a nice product but I won't purchase one,

No webcam,
No flash support,
No wireless sync with iTunes.

1. Again, it's not a comms device, it's a content device, but yeah it'd be nice
2. Never gonna happen, everyone is going to get on the html5 bandwagon eventually anyway.
3. +1, I do really want this

DagrtheSnide
29th January 2010, 09:42 AM
Farmville is Flash, 73,000,000 addicted people play it a month. (not me )

HTML5 is great for video content but will it play games ?

titan44
29th January 2010, 09:48 AM

Old school, but you get the idea.

Creating pseudo 3D games with HTML 5 canvas and raycasting - Opera Developer Community (http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/creating-pseudo-3d-games-with-html-5-can-1/)

DagrtheSnide
29th January 2010, 10:02 AM

Creating pseudo 3D games with HTML 5 canvas and raycasting - Opera Developer Community (http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/creating-pseudo-3d-games-with-html-5-can-1/)

Cool, how long till this replaces flash then ?

deang
29th January 2010, 10:16 AM
No multitasking is a deal breaker for me.

I wasn't expecting the world with this device and can live without USB, card reader, camera etc but not being able to use a few apps at once is a real dissapointment. Other than no multitasking I think the iPad looks great and would have done everything I needed it to do.

All I wanted this device for was to leave my MacBook at work and not have to carry it around while on the road or take it home at night. I was expecting the iPad to free me from lugging the laptop around.

I didn't need to use too many apps at once but I did expect I could be on a Skype call to someone while at the same time surfing the net or checking email etc. Unfortunately work never stops when I get home and I still need access to iCal, Mail, Skype, edit a couple of docs and email them etc etc. Would of been really nice to be able to do this on the couch in front of the TV on the iPad.

In our work place we had already discussed replacing everyone's Macbooks with big iMacs and giving everyone an iPad to take home - would have been perfect.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. It looks like a great product but it's O/S doesn't suit my needs however I'm sure it will suit many others needs.

I hope that in the future you will be able to use more than one app at a time as I would love to have one.

Cheers.

Rayd
29th January 2010, 11:29 AM
i just want a "Peview" app on there so i can load my uni notes on there and annotate them with a pen while the lecture is happening!

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 11:39 AM
Stylus, thanks to jobs it is now useless for taking notes during a lecture.

gehenna
29th January 2010, 11:42 AM

I don't know about that. Depending on the quality of the keyboard - at least it's silent to type on, and I know I definitely type much faster than I handwrite...

Exocet
29th January 2010, 11:42 AM

Here you go (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php). Now focus on a problem for which a solution doesn't exist.

gehenna
29th January 2010, 11:45 AM
Here you go (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php). Now focus on a problem for which a solution doesn't exist.

Oh yeah the Pogo Stylus, I forgot about that. They use the fingertips of dead people you know.

kevinnugent
29th January 2010, 11:58 AM
Hmmm... I'll be able to connect to/with the Drobo over Drobeshare at home. Mmmm...

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 12:36 PM
I would hardly call that a solution. HAve you seen the thickness of that thing? Also from reviews I have scene its a bitch to write with becasue of the tech.

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know about that. Depending on the quality of the keyboard - at least it's silent to type on, and I know I definitely type much faster than I handwrite...

Draw a graph, formulae or cell diagram with your keyboard :(

dotnet
29th January 2010, 12:55 PM
It wont REPLACE a desktop or laptop as most peoples primary content creation device, but I know I will use one on the couch in preference to either my phone or my laptop.

However, it can't replace the phone either. It duplicates much of what the iPhone does (and does most of that better than the iPhone) - but it's not a phone. I do need a phone. Am I to own and carry around both an iPad and an iPhone?

The only logical conclusion would be having a desktop/laptop, getting an iPad, ditching the iPhone and getting some dirt cheap Nokia for making calls. Is this what Apple intends us to do??

Cheers
Steffen.

Exocet
29th January 2010, 01:02 PM
I would think that Apple wants you to have an iPhone, an iPad, an iMac.

dotnet
29th January 2010, 01:26 PM
I would think that Apple wants you to have an iPhone, an iPad, an iMac.

I'm sure they would, but the iPad sends the iPhone on the path from hero to zero real quick. Who'd want to use apps on the iPhone once they've used their big siblings on the iPad?

The iPhone was the coolest thing out there for its UI concept, ease of software installation and such. It was a computer everybody manages and loves to use. Now it's been overshadowed by the much better iPad featuring the exact same advantages. What's left for saving iPhone's graces? Making phone calls and being small. The latter may be one reason they opted for a wide bezel on the iPad. Can't make the iPad too small, people might shove it into their pockets…

Cheers
Steffen.

Rayd
29th January 2010, 01:29 PM
Draw a graph, formulae or cell diagram with your keyboard :(

exactly the problem! need to use pen for note taking!

ozerus
29th January 2010, 03:03 PM
The camera is a big omission I'd say, along with apps running in the background.

Camera for the obvious reasons

The background apps though, I think should be given serious attention, I'd like to have skype running on it, use a finger gesture to bring up a menu on the screen to show what's running, they can place limits to how many apps run, make the apps that run in the background work as a popup.

I'd love for skype to run 24/7 on the iPad, a quick gesture on the screen and the skype popup comes up, letting me make calls and what not then just tap the app that's open in the background to go back to do what ever it was I was doing.

I can think of a few other things that would be great with, contacts say, appointments, itunes, so on, a simplified interface perhaps to quickly access important things you want to use but don't need an app taking up the full screen to use.

I don't need a full on desktop type layout, I'm happy for most things to take up the whole screen like the browser/movies/games/books but really want a way to access simple things within other apps without having to close them down completely and start up another app.

DagrtheSnide
29th January 2010, 04:21 PM

I guess you don't know then.

Maybe you'll know this one,

How popular do you think HTML5 will get before Apple decides to not support it in certain products ?

yagankiely
29th January 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm disappointed with the lack of an optical drive (Bluray), the lack of an i7 Cor processor and that it isn't preloaded with Windows 8 and OSX 10.7.

Oh that and I wanted 4tbs of memory.

I also want to have a battery that last 3 hours because I have that extra special other app open AT THE SAME TIME OMG USEFUL.

tcn33
29th January 2010, 05:21 PM
Could be sooner than it'd have been otherwise - do you think YouTube would have moved to H.264 if not for the iPhone?

It's beginning to be possible to do in HTML5 what was once exclusively the province of Flash - see Star Wars Episode IV: A NEW HOPE (http://www.gesteves.com/experiments/starwars.html) for an example. What the content providers need is a reason to bother, and the iPhone and iPod touch are several million reasons. And the iPad will be thousands, and eventually millions, of reasons more.

peterjcat
29th January 2010, 06:14 PM
It's beginning to be possible to do in HTML5 what was once exclusively the province of Flash - see Star Wars Episode IV: A NEW HOPE (http://www.gesteves.com/experiments/starwars.html) for an example.

Something wrong with that link... it seems to be some kind of web animation but my CPU is sitting at only 6%. It's getting cold in here!

:)

DagrtheSnide
29th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Could be sooner than it'd have been otherwise - do you think YouTube would have moved to H.264 if not for the iPhone?

It's beginning to be possible to do in HTML5 what was once exclusively the province of Flash - see Star Wars Episode IV: A NEW HOPE (http://www.gesteves.com/experiments/starwars.html) for an example. What the content providers need is a reason to bother, and the iPhone and iPod touch are several million reasons. And the iPad will be thousands, and eventually millions, of reasons more.

As soon as HTLM5 is a threat to the App store then it will not be supported by certain Apple products.

tcn33
29th January 2010, 06:42 PM
As soon as HTLM5 is a threat to the App store then it will not be supported by certain Apple products.

Safari, mobile or otherwise, already supports HTML5. It's an open standard - unlike Flash. iTunes LP uses HTML5.

Exocet
29th January 2010, 07:04 PM

Do you actually understand what HTML, and as such HTML5 is? Its the entire language of the web and is what every browser uses to render everything you see. If Apple said "Durrp, we see HTML5 as a threat we're not going to support it", nearly every part of every website would stop working.