PDA

View Full Version : Possible MBP upgrade from PowerBook - need advice

AfterBurner_1
29th January 2010, 12:52 AM
Hi All,
I have to admit I've had the Apple bug from the start, that's right the old Apple II. currently I run a PowerBook G4 Ti DVI 1Ghz (Antimony) with 1GB of DDRI, 60GB HD and a Ati RV250M9 (64MB) and while the unit is still in ful working order i am looking for more space and power as i realise to upgrade this further would become costly and time consuming.

So I have been perusing the MacBook Pro range for quite some time. last year i tried to get a 17" model when there was a run out on the pre unibody model. however that fell through.

I really dont want to go smaller than what i already have and i'd ideally like to have a 17" model purely because of the Resolution and slightly better cooling characteristics and a big HDD (preferably 7200rpm).

so what would you all advise i get ? a 17" with a nonglossy screen and a 7200rpm HD? or a 15" with similair options?

I'm in basically the same situation as this with a Mac Mini i got my mother for christmas but she hardly uses it.

anywho help in this difficult selection process is welcome.

cosmichobo
29th January 2010, 01:05 AM
Have you stood around in an Apple retailer playing with both the 15" and 17"? Opened up apps you use, and played around to see how they both feel/compare?

Or the other test I loved when I heard it - get a piece of cardboard or something and cut it to the shape of the 17" MBP, and then carry it around for a week...

I'd recommend 15". I think 17 is overkill. My Pismo only has 14", and serves me well. Soonish hoping to get my fiancée the 13" for Uni...

AfterBurner_1
29th January 2010, 01:24 AM
another question

should i save my pennys and go completely new at first and get all the options i want barring the RAM? (New)

or go to the refurb store and get a 17" with a Matte screen and go from there?

dekco
29th January 2010, 12:40 PM
upgrading yourself is always cheaper. my preferred option personally.

AfterBurner_1
29th January 2010, 01:48 PM
ok kool. now all i have to do is finish saving.

AfterBurner_1
11th June 2010, 01:36 PM
Well I've scored a MacBook Black and it's in good shape. Time to migrate!