PDA

View Full Version : iBook Availability

Seadog
28th January 2010, 08:57 PM
What is the significance of not having the availability of iBooks in Australia?

As someone who is looking forward to a bookreader with some fancy extras - will it be worth buying? Will books be available?:confused:

jack112006
28th January 2010, 09:18 PM
It might mean smaller launch sales - that's all I can think of. For me personally, I really want to be able to get all my school textbooks on here. I would be easily able to convince the school admin to let me use it in place of regular textbooks. I know for a fact that my school is super interested in something like this. A massive tech push is happening (think 1200 MacBook Pro's, custom built apps for each subject and so on) at my school, and I would be very surprised if they at least didn't give it a serious look.

mmulhern
28th January 2010, 09:18 PM
What is the significance of not having the availability of iBooks in Australia?

As someone who is looking forward to a bookreader with some fancy extras - will it be worth buying? Will books be available?:confused:

The significance is only US publishers, with a US blinkered vision are onboard with the iPad, for the announcement.

Hopefully something can be done for the rest of the world within the next 60 days, or it will be the long drawn out iTune store saga all over again.

In the meantime, if you have an iPhone, look at "Stanza". It supports the epub standard, and other publishers (such as baen.com) support it online, and Stanza has a desktop app that can import and sync books with the iPhone.

LennyX
28th January 2010, 10:40 PM
I think it just means we'll be using optimised versions of Stanza/eReader/whatever pops up for the iPad that supports importing ebooks (and does it well).

I was hoping that the iBooks app would be open for all countries with the store part being only for the US, but the bottom of the iPad features page seems to be pretty clear about the whole app being US-only.

Nightwish
28th January 2010, 10:44 PM
The selling point of this for me personally will be eBooks, and the availability of tertiary texts.
I really don't like lugging around those extra kilos of paper. How amazing would it be to have every one of your textbooks on hand at all times?

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:44 PM
What's wrong with using Wattpad or similar to read?

pwnT
28th January 2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/ibooks-us-vs-au-600-split.jpg

Apple Australia just became one of the first international sites to introduce the iPad to its pages. That gives us a pretty good indication of Apple's plans for a global launch: same "late March" ship for Wi-Fi only models and April for 3G models (carrier yet to be announced). Fine, but it's not what we see that has us intrigued so much as what's missing: the iBookstore and any indication of the iBooks app. This doesn't look like an oversight but rather its purposeful removal from any images or feature lists. Guess we shouldn't be too surprised; going back to the press release we see the following: "iBookstore will be available in the US at launch." Seems Apple meant to say, only in the US, eh? Rest easy Bezos, the iPad has a long way to go before it's any competition to the Kindle.

Sauce: Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/ipad-ibooks-will-be-us-only/)

Hmmm... Can anyone confirm this?

ozron
29th January 2010, 12:00 AM
So what will stop us from doing what we do now with the iTunes music and app store? Use a US account and buy the ebooks we want from the US iBook store. Big deal...

decryption
29th January 2010, 04:16 AM
I think you confirmed it yourself with no screenshots.
No iBooks for us (on launch day at least) :(

Dux
29th January 2010, 04:33 AM
There goes 95% of the reasons I'd get an iPad.

tcn33
29th January 2010, 05:11 AM
If there's no iBookstore, no problem. US iTunes credit is easy to come by.

If there's no iBooks app though, that's a dealbreaker.

scar68
29th January 2010, 06:31 AM
I know I have posted this a few times on different threads but there are already E-book apps available on AUS Itunes. Ereader and Kindle/Amazon and others. I use them on the Iphone daily.

They all work well and are only limited by the amount of content available here. With the Amazon/kindle app this is fairly easily circumvented.

If iBooks is not available on launch it should be there soon after. I really hope this device is the kick in the face the publishing industry needs to get it's sh*t together.

Evolve or perish.

I really really want this device as a kick ass E-reader as I love e-books. This is the reason I will buy it at launch. For me no iBooks on Launch is not a deal breaker, just frustrating.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 06:49 AM
I think it just means we'll be using optimised versions of Stanza/eReader/whatever pops up for the iPad that supports importing ebooks (and does it well).

I was hoping that the iBooks app would be open for all countries with the store part being only for the US, but the bottom of the iPad features page seems to be pretty clear about the whole app being US-only.

And I guess it means you can't use the iBooks reader to read non Apple ePub books.

It certainly does put a crimp in my enthusiasm for the device. And it reminds me of my hatred of additional restrictions the world of digital content brings.

glitch
29th January 2010, 07:40 AM
I suspect Apple are going to lock the whole thing down so that the ONLY way to access their Book Library will be with an iPad, so I suspect that there is not going to be a reader for your MBP and you wont be able to access the bookstore from iTunes store on your Mac.

Its pretty clear that if we could access them via a Mac then the only reason for buying an iPad for many of us would disappear - hardly in Apples interest!

TheKeddi
29th January 2010, 07:57 AM
Is there any reason why we can't email ourselves PDF books, save em on the iPad and read them from there?

Ecto1
29th January 2010, 07:59 AM
I think we will see it close to May or June in Australia. I see it that if Mac sales in Australia was up by 70% I am sure Apple will be jumping at the bit to bring the iPad and iBook store to Australia. You have to remember that when the iTunes store started Apple was not that big here, and they would of look at the market back then and went they don't need it just yet.

Bogus Jimmy
29th January 2010, 08:00 AM
Going from those screenshots it seems we get Calendar and they get iBooks.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any kind of backlash from the yanks. Steve didn't say anything about Calendar not being available in the US when he was demo-ing it.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 08:03 AM
I suspect Apple are going to lock the whole thing down so that the ONLY way to access their Book Library will be with an iPad, so I suspect that there is not going to be a reader for your MBP and you wont be able to access the bookstore from iTunes store on your Mac.

Its pretty clear that if we could access them via a Mac then the only reason for buying an iPad for many of us would disappear - hardly in Apples interest!

I don't buy that. If that was the case they would have done so with other media in relation to the iPod/AppleTV.

Ecto1
29th January 2010, 08:06 AM
I will still buy the iPad on day one. As said before, you can still buy e-book reader apps so that will have to do until publishers get off there ass. Though I would not be surprised one bit if every publisher in the world are trying to make deals with Apple as we speak. You'll be stupid not to.

TheKeddi
29th January 2010, 08:07 AM
I don't mind, I will send myself my PDF books in email and save them to the iPad and read them from there.

kevinnugent
29th January 2010, 10:56 AM
Can I use the books I've bought for the Kindle on the iPad?

Bogus Jimmy
29th January 2010, 11:07 AM
Simple answer: Yes.

That's assuming that the Kindle App for the iPhone isn't blocked or crippled in some way (or even removed in protest, however unlikely that is).

Further to that, I assume the App will be updated to be compatible with the higher res of the iPad.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 12:50 PM
Is there any reason why we can't email ourselves PDF books, save em on the iPad and read them from there?

No reason why you can't do that. You could email yourself. You could SSH. You could use many other means to copy your PDF books into your device and read it from there.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 12:54 PM

I don't think it is Apple trying to do this. I think it is the way the physical print media distribution rights works and that the electronic system must not infringe on that by law - I'm doing a wild guess here. That's why customers here are by defaults not able to buy the books directly from the US iBook store. However, it is to Apple's interest to get the publisher here on board as soon as possible as this would only sell more iPad and generate more revenue to Apple.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think it is Apple trying to do this. I think it is the way the physical print media distribution rights works and that the electronic system must not infringe on that by law - I'm doing a wild guess here. That's why customers here are by defaults not able to buy the books directly from the US iBook store. However, it is to Apple's interest to get the publisher here on board as soon as possible as this would only sell more iPad and generate more revenue to Apple.

Given that isn't how it works for the Kindle I don't see why it would be true for the iPad.

TheWatchman
29th January 2010, 01:55 PM
Going from those screenshots it seems we get Calendar and they get iBooks.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any kind of backlash from the yanks. Steve didn't say anything about Calendar not being available in the US when he was demo-ing it.

Heh no they just needed another image to fill the blanks on the Australian page.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 01:59 PM
Given that isn't how it works for the Kindle I don't see why it would be true for the iPad.

You're sure they are the same publishers?

But you have a good point here.

Minkey
29th January 2010, 02:08 PM
If Apple are planning an eBookstore. I wouldn't be surprised if they blocked approval for Stanza/Kindle or any other ebook reader on the iPad. Why would they allow another App cannibalise their own store?

There's only one iTunes.

M

MrJesseRoss
29th January 2010, 02:16 PM
iBook threads merged. :)

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 02:17 PM
I wonder how easily we could lend the book to our friends after purchasing it. With the physical books, we have no restriction. How about ebooks?

Bogus Jimmy
29th January 2010, 02:22 PM
Heh no they just needed another image to fill the blanks on the Australian page.

Phew. I was worried for the yanks. They would be lost without a Calendar.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 02:29 PM
Bob Carr Says iPad Is A Threat To Publishers (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-ipad-a-threat-to-publishers-bob-carr-20100129-n2zj.html)

"Former NSW premier Bob Carr says the arrival of digital book reading devices such as Apple's iPad make it imperative for the Federal Government to lift bans on book sellers from buying cheap stock overseas.

The Apple iPad's biggest selling point, its e-book and digital textbooks store, won't be available to Australian users on launch but that should change quickly as the Australian Publishers Association says licensing deals are well on the way to being completed this year."

So there we are. Apple did not block the availability; the Australian Federal government and the Australian Publisher Association did!!

Phunky
29th January 2010, 08:32 PM
I dont think it says that

Quasar
29th January 2010, 10:11 PM
I don't think it says that

Of course it doesn't. The Kindle is happily sold here.

In anycase Carr is just a mouthpiece for Dymocks.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 10:27 PM
Book import limits stay, for now - Books - Entertainment - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/books/book-import-limits-stay-for-now/2009/03/19/1237055002702.html)

Don't know how amazon bypass that, but it is true that Australia has a ban limiting book import. Perhaps the volume expected to be sold by Apple is too high and would seriously jeorpardise somebody's financial interest, whereas they may not feel that Amazon will impact them too much - just a wild guess.

keeleyg
2nd February 2010, 08:03 AM
Bob Carr Says iPad Is A Threat To Publishers (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-ipad-a-threat-to-publishers-bob-carr-20100129-n2zj.html)

"Former NSW premier Bob Carr says the arrival of digital book reading devices such as Apple's iPad make it imperative for the Federal Government to lift bans on book sellers from buying cheap stock overseas.

The Apple iPad's biggest selling point, its e-book and digital textbooks store, won't be available to Australian users on launch but that should change quickly as the Australian Publishers Association says licensing deals are well on the way to being completed this year."

So there we are. Apple did not block the availability; the Australian Federal government and the Australian Publisher Association did!!

It is true that the federal government recently reviewed this legislation and after wide lobbying decided NOT to repeal the act that protects local agents from grey market imports, despite all major developed economies repealing their similar legislation in recent years. A similar move in the UK lead to an increase in the places where books can be bought, and a massive decrease in cost.

I believe this may have something tangible to do with why iBooks isn't here neither is amazon.com.au BTW but a look at other Apple international sites (including the UK) shows iBooks missing as per the Australian site so maybe it is just a matter of time?

Minkey
2nd February 2010, 08:21 AM
Don't know how amazon bypass that,..

They don't. Kindle users here in Australia only have access to a limited amount of the Kindle store (Kindle users can confirm this for me?).

This will be the same for the iBookstore.

...and it sucks.

M

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 08:33 AM
I wonder if the difference between Amazon and Apple is that Amazon locate their server in US, whereas Apple might be locating the server for Australian users right here. I'm guessing that the Australian store server is here because there must be just far too many downloads worldwide (3 billion in 18 months) to be not closely located to the end users.

Another difference is that users in each country are buying in their own country's currency, whereas in Amazon, everything must be in USD. So, this seems to suggest that Amazon is outside the jurisdiction of the Australian government by selling it out of US, instead of selling in Australia.

avolve
2nd February 2010, 09:51 AM
I think there is too much assumed certainty that iBooks will be US only. Whereas saying 'available in the US at launch' as opposed to 'not available in XXX' can be seen as marketing speech, I think it is likely that the deals have not yet be done.

Deals aside, will it be possible to make purchases in the same way that buying US iTunes cards and having a US account *or will/are apple working to lock this down?

The iBook store will come to Australia, it is just a question of when.

The interesting question is how apple will operate with respect to apps like Stanza given it is already an approved app for the iPod/iPhone...

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm sure we can all buy with a US account without any issue, which means we would not suffer any disadvantage even from day one as compared to Kindles. To buy in AUD currency however, we would have to wait for the negotiation between Aussie publishers and Apple Australia to be completed.

toholio
2nd February 2010, 11:06 AM
Kindle users here in Australia only have access to a limited amount of the Kindle store (Kindle users can confirm this for me?).

Correct.

It's all down to how eBooks are licensed and the publishers' determination to make all the same mistakes the music industry did.

Use a fake address in the U.S.A. to get access to more content. Pirate things to get access to the most content.

toholio
2nd February 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm sure we can all buy with a US account without any issue, which means we would not suffer any disadvantage even from day one as compared to Kindles.

It's much easier with the Kindle, not harder. Amazon don't check your address. Apple do and they want your credit card address to match.

Of course, if you have a working U.S.A. iTunes account this doesn't matter but the hoops you jump through are smaller for Amazon.

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 12:04 PM
So Amazon accepts ANY US address that bears no relationship to the credit cards's?

toholio
2nd February 2010, 12:19 PM
So Amazon accepts ANY US address that bears no relationship to the credit cards's?

They seem to, yes.

You might have to use an Australian address when signing up but I've changed mine to Disneyland without any problems whatsoever. No hoops to jump through, just click "change details" and type in a new address.

Why would Amazon care? They're selling you stuff in USD either way. Until publishers seriously complain they don't have much incentive to "fix" it.

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 02:00 PM
So, is there any way those of us without a US funding source to get into iTune USA?

I tried paying by paypal, but it checks my address there and didn't like it.

If I enter a valid but "borrowed" US address (say some random address that I pick up from internet), would it try to match the address to my credit card's address? Anybody tried that before?

LennyX
2nd February 2010, 02:10 PM
So, is there any way those of us without a US funding source to get into iTune USA?

I tried paying by paypal, but it checks my address there and didn't like it.

If I enter a valid but "borrowed" US address (say some random address that I pick up from internet), would it try to match the address to my credit card's address? Anybody tried that before?

US iTunes gift cards from eBay?

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 02:35 PM
US iTunes gift cards from eBay?

Is this a question or a statement?

This might be the answer.

LennyX
2nd February 2010, 02:40 PM
I know the US iTunes gift cards used to work but haven't tried recently.

Here's an article from last year:
How to rent movies in Australia with iTunes (http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2016)

tcn33
2nd February 2010, 02:41 PM

Yes. Short answer: it doesn't work. Long answer: there are exceptions to every rule but I haven't heard of anyone getting this to work (except for having a credit card with an actual US billing address) in ages.

There are reputable sellers of US iTunes credit around. Rule of thumb: if you're paying $5 for $200USD of credit it's probably a scam :p

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 02:46 PM
Lenny and TCN,

Thanks for this enlightening information.

So, who are some of these reputable sellers of US iTune gift cards?

kyte
2nd February 2010, 06:07 PM
I really really want this device as a kick ass E-reader as I love e-books. This is the reason I will buy it at launch. For me no iBooks on Launch is not a deal breaker, just frustrating.

I also love to read ebooks, I find it easier to manage an electronic device whilst lying down, than a dead tree book. I am assuming that Stanza will be functional on the iPad, and I will use that (but, purchase will wait until its confirmed that Stanza will work. and, just a headsup, today's update to Stanza has removed the possibility of sharing books via USB... what does it all mean, I wonder?. I am not in the least peeved about the lack of iBooks.