PDA

View Full Version : Modifying websites to suit the iPad

Dust For Eyes
28th January 2010, 08:49 PM
During today's keynote we saw the New York Times optimised for the iPad.

I wonder how many web sites will bother to do this. You'd think web masters would be getting sick of all the different platforms they need to build for. So how much of this will take up? Will Mactalk do a design especially for the iPad.

Incidentally for those sites that do have iPhone versions, which version will it default to if you browse to it with the iPad?

adamd
28th January 2010, 11:14 PM
Depends on how the website is programmed.

For my sites I use a few lines of PHP code that allow me to select template files, dependent on which browser the user is using, or a generic one if I cant tell.
A few of my sites and apps have versions for the iPhone/iPod Touch (I call'em "touch") while others (with messed up issues regarding that hunk-of-junk known as IE) have a special one for IE.

As soon as I can get my hands on the iPad or the simulator (I'm not a dev) I'll start building some awesomeness for it. It's an exciting platform.

ZeMule
29th January 2010, 12:46 AM
The new York times page shown in the keynote just looked like the regular site you see in safari, firefox or heaven forbid IE. I don't think it was optimised for the ipad, seeing as
the page still had flash elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evmorg
29th January 2010, 12:00 PM
Yup. Just the regular NYTimes web page. I noticed how Mr Jobs conveniently ignored all the little "plug-in required" blank spaces on the page.

Exocet
29th January 2010, 12:17 PM
The beauty of the iPad is that the majority of sites on the web are designed for 1024x768 or less...websites are also portrait in orientation. The iPad can be a 1024x768 portrait display which makes it perfect for web-browsing without resizing.

adamd
29th January 2010, 11:03 PM
The beauty of the iPad is that the majority of sites on the web are designed for 1024x768 or less...websites are also portrait in orientation. The iPad can be a 1024x768 portrait display which makes it perfect for web-browsing without resizing.

WHOOPS.. I've just moved a whole pile of mine to 900px wide.. :P

Lutze
30th January 2010, 02:41 AM
WHOOPS.. I've just moved a whole pile of mine to 900px wide.. :P

I can imagine the SteveQuote to go with that... "Just change your res no big deal." ;)

On that note, I wonder if iWeb will have templates added for iPhone and iPad browsers in it's new version (whenever it gets released of course).

avolve
30th January 2010, 02:52 PM
960px wide is what i design all of my sites with - and it seems pretty widespread. Takes into account browser elements (scroll bar), etc

Exocet
30th January 2010, 02:58 PM
Or rotate your iPad to landscape :P

jesse
30th January 2010, 03:11 PM
960px wide is what i design all of my sites with - and it seems pretty widespread. Takes into account browser elements (scroll bar), etc

With mobile safari having soft scrollbars, multitouch on most trackpads and scroll wheels on external mouses - I'm looking forward to the total irradiation of pixel-hogging scroll bars.

jack112006
30th January 2010, 05:18 PM
I don't see the need to modify your website for iPad. If your site is at a standard resolution (e.g. 800w, 960w) and not built in flash, you should be fine. I do a fair bit of web development for school projects and I feel their is no need to customise any of my sites for iPad.

dolbinau
30th January 2010, 05:32 PM
I just hope that websites won't see the iPad and default the 'mobile version'.

jack112006
30th January 2010, 10:18 PM
I just hope that websites won't see the iPad and default the 'mobile version'.

God that would be annoying. Even on my iPhone I am actively turning off mobile versions because the just suck so much on some sites. Remember, the iPhone was the whole internet in your pocket. Not the mini internet.

Japester
30th January 2010, 10:45 PM
If a site is bit wide, I imagine the iPad would shrink it a little like the iPhone does. The "optimised" NYT "web page" was actually an app. It adds features like video and was shown without ads, so it's suspected that it will be a paid app (and subscription?).

adamd
30th January 2010, 11:31 PM
God that would be annoying. Even on my iPhone I am actively turning off mobile versions because the just suck so much on some sites. Remember, the iPhone was the whole internet in your pocket. Not the mini internet.

This depends on how the site is coded.. by default, most sites will run off the user agent.. Others run javascript to see the screen size.
My sites run on UserAgent. If you visit them with an iPhone, the server gets told that your device is an iPhone, and is then able to prepare the touch version for you.

For those wondering, UserAgents look like:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

There's a fair bit of information, and it'll most likely mention "iPad" on the new device :)