PDA

View Full Version : Ok Wifi or 3G version?

hobbsy101
28th January 2010, 07:39 PM
Ok so I want an iPad. But bit cuffufled on whether to get the entry wifi or 3g model.

the wifi only model being the cheapest but less able to receive data anywhere and no A-GPS.

the wifi + 3G model is more expensive but can access data anywhere, built in a-gps but ongoing cost for data and dont kno how good australian carriers will price the prepaid plans if youd like to call it that.

so what do you think? should i wait for the pricing plans from telcos to be released before i just rush out and buy the wifi only model or should i jus go for the wifi only model straight away. btw id mostly use it for ebooks, textbooks (if and when they come), iwork etc. (high school student)

mac_man_luke
28th January 2010, 07:47 PM
IMO 3G is essential, its the type of device you just want to pick up and use anywhere

Look at current mobile broadband plans and see what you think, wont be much different (other than maybe contract periods?)

eg
Virgin Broadband 500mb prepaid $15/recharge with 30 days with recharges up to 10gb over 365 days for ~$140 from dicksmith

Telstra prepaid wireless broadband $20 for 150mb up to $100 for 6GB 30 day expiry

scruffie
28th January 2010, 07:54 PM
get the 3g version.

3 has a prepaid broadband offering. $149 for 12 gigs with a 1 year expiry. that would be perfect.

mitty
28th January 2010, 07:55 PM
I think anyone would be nuts not to get the 3G version, even if you only intend buying it outright and not even putting a SIM in it. It will get much better resale value.

mmulhern
28th January 2010, 08:04 PM
get the 3g version.

3 has a prepaid broadband offering. $149 for 12 gigs with a 1 year expiry. that would be perfect.

Yes, that's what I use for MBB. As long as you are in their metro coverage area it is a great deal.

SRG
28th January 2010, 08:09 PM
Agree if you are going to buy, like the iPhone, the internet everywhere is a key and therefore has to be the 3G version.

Cybix
28th January 2010, 08:12 PM
Get a portable 3G/wifi device, like this (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b6162c203552c74273fc0a87e010665/Product/View/E6939).. (which I have).. the wifi iPad can connect to it, it connects to the net with 3G (as well as your iphone, and other devices), and you are good to go. You'll also save a truck load of battery (no 3G).

http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/e6939.jpg

The_Hawk
28th January 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm in two minds, I agree on the whole resale thing, but don't know that I want yet another 3G device (so long as I can tether the iPhone for connectivity on the go).

As for data, I have a 3 Mobile USB job on a $15 for 1GB plan, post paid.

Get a portable 3G/wifi device, like this (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b6162c203552c74273fc0a87e010665/Product/View/E6939).. (which I have).. the wifi iPad can connect to it, it connects to the net with 3G (as well as your iphone, and other devices), and you are good to go. You'll also save a truck load of battery (no 3G).

And I want one of those :P

Ecto1
28th January 2010, 08:25 PM
It's simple, will you be taking it out and about or will it stay at home?
For me I'll take it with me most of the time, so 3G is going to be a must for me.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 08:34 PM
Even if you take it out, you can still make your iPhone a wifi hotspot to provide the access for the iPad. Why have two data plan? Unless the Telco is willing to give us two SI
cards sharing the same number.

MrJesseRoss
28th January 2010, 08:49 PM
You'd be crazy not to get the 3G version. Even if you don't need it at the moment, you may need it in the future. It's nice to have options.

kyte
28th January 2010, 09:12 PM

Now that makes sense in view of the issues of those mini or micro SIMs which nobody actually supplies here yet.

Andrew T Chadwick
28th January 2010, 09:42 PM
I already have my iPhone for mobile data and G.P.S. so the wifi will suit me fine as I'm thinking of replacing my indigo Ibook with it.for what i do the iPad is almost perfect but with none of the crap i don't need.

ipwn
28th January 2010, 10:08 PM
If it allows tethering to my iPhone i will go wifi and save a few $$

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:26 PM
I know for sure I won't be signing up for a second data plan, so there's absolutely no sense to get the 3G version.

wholikespotatoes
28th January 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the overwhelming response of obviously the 3G one.
It's quite possibly just me, but i'd only ever see myself using this device at home, at uni and possibly at work, all of which the wifi version would suffice.

Granted, the GPS is a plus but if the iPad really is a device that fits between your iPhone and Mac as Steve claims, when out and about you'd use your phone wouldn't you?

Walking down the street using this thing would only make you look like a massive tool :rolleyes:

TheKeddi
29th January 2010, 08:06 AM
Getting the WiFi version,

Don't need the 3G and if I do need it sometimes then yeah a dongle or wifi access gadget will do the trick!

nbetts
29th January 2010, 08:16 AM
I have a question that i cant seem to find the answer on yet.

if we buy a 3G version from the US in "April" (i dont think we will get an Oz version until June at least) and we pop a Data sim in it will it work?. I ask because all of the 3G dongles i know of require additional software to be installed to work and i cant see the iPad installing extra software to help a 3G net connection.

decryption
29th January 2010, 08:18 AM
I have a question that i cant seem to find the answer on yet.

if we buy a 3G version from the US in "April" (i dont think we will get an Oz version until June at least) and we pop a Data sim in it will it work?. I ask because all of the 3G dongles i know of require additional software to be installed to work and i cant see the iPad installing extra software to help a 3G net connection.

Steve said it will be released world-wide in 90 days, so I have faith that Steve wouldn't lie to me again (like he did with those 3Ghz G5 PowerMac taunts).

But yes, all iPads around the world will be the exact same unit. It's GSM/UMTS/HSDPA compliant, so you just put in a SIM and away you go, just like the iPhone.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 08:28 AM
You'd be crazy not to get the 3G version. Even if you don't need it at the moment, you may need it in the future. It's nice to have options.

That's what things like the mifi are for.

And personally...given how shitty wireless data is here I'll just get the wifi version. It would be different if we had a 30US$/month unlimited plan though.

nbetts
29th January 2010, 08:32 AM
Steve said it will be released world-wide in 90 days, so I have faith that Steve wouldn't lie to me again (like he did with those 3Ghz G5 PowerMac taunts).

But yes, all iPads around the world will be the exact same unit. It's GSM/UMTS/HSDPA compliant, so you just put in a SIM and away you go, just like the iPhone.

Thanks :) i am glad you have confidence in Steve. I thought his international comments were a bit ambiguous. Saying plans for "some countries" would be announced Summer (june).

Ecto1
29th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Well after reading this (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/telcos-woo-apple-for-ipad-talks/story-e6frgakx-1225824563361) I am starting to think the wifi version my be best. Typical Telstra.

Shaxbon
29th January 2010, 09:13 AM
Even if you take it out, you can still make your iPhone a wifi hotspot to provide the access for the iPad

Yeah I was hoping this is the case, it'd make life just as easy considering Ill be carting my iPhone wherever I go with my iPad.

melbmac
29th January 2010, 09:49 AM
3 version for the flexibility and re-sale.

When I buy one, it will be for travel and I like the idea of arriving in XXXXXX buying a mobile internet sim, shoving it in and being on the net.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 01:11 PM
3 version for the flexibility and re-sale.

When I buy one, it will be for travel and I like the idea of arriving in XXXXXX buying a mobile internet sim, shoving it in and being on the net.

When you travel, you will still be bringing alone your iPhone won't you? So, the mobile internet sim could have gone into your iPhone instead, and whenever your iPad requires connection, just make your iPhone a WIFI hotspot. In that way, both your device could function, instead of just the iPad, leaving you with no phone.

Mael
29th January 2010, 05:38 PM
What is the bet that you won't be able to tether your iPhone to the iPad for internet connections.

My guess is that the BT Stack will be crippled and 'no tethering for you' will be the mantra.

Also wouldn't using the latest Apple BT keyboard have been a better option than having a dock and a dock/keyboard option?

Oh well I'm sure the iPad jailbreak will address these issues.

eron
29th January 2010, 05:46 PM
Nobody has mentioned it yet. Atm, it's using a microsim card, not the usual one we use.

Apple iPad's 'Micro SIM' explained -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipads-micro-sim-explained/)

eron
29th January 2010, 05:47 PM
When you travel, you will still be bringing alone your iPhone won't you? So, the mobile internet sim could have gone into your iPhone instead, and whenever your iPad requires connection, just make your iPhone a WIFI hotspot. In that way, both your device could function, instead of just the iPad, leaving you with no phone.

I'm not sure if the iphone can be used as a hotspot. I can't get my ipod touch to use my iphone's wireless broadband. iPhone to laptop is no prob of cuz.

peterjcat
29th January 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure if the iphone can be used as a hotspot. I can't get my ipod touch to use my iphone's wireless broadband. iPhone to laptop is no prob of cuz.

That's right. Only a jailbroken iPhone can be used as a WiFi hotspot. If you're not jailbroken you'll have to hope that Apple enables tethering in the iPad Bluetooth stack (which it hasn't for the iPod Touch).

Quamen
29th January 2010, 06:00 PM
You won't be able to tether it to your iPhone without jailbreaking it. Trust me on that.

Things like the MIFI are an awesome solution.

I'll be buying the WiFi version so I can have it sooner, and not have to pay for another data plan. If I really need the net, I can use my iPhone, otherwise I'll find a wifi hotspot.

peterjcat
29th January 2010, 06:10 PM
I think you're right. It's a shame Apple has had to get into telcos for all this stuff, they're missing out on a lot of simple solutions. Ah well.

melbmac
29th January 2010, 07:08 PM

Had a foreign sim for my iPhone while I was over there which was great for occasional google mapping and a little bit of email, but most of the phone plans I could find didn't have enough data to allow much freedom.

So...

I would (next time) get a specific mobile broadband sim and put that in my iPad leaving my phone useful as a phone, or if I take my mac book buy or take some cheap and nasty modem. Easy way to get much more data and a hell of a lot cheaper than a lot of the WiFi I came across in motels (often ~€4 per hour).

Then there is the whole iPhone not actually working as a hot spot, minor oversight though (and no I don't want to jailbreak).

Tj94
29th January 2010, 07:35 PM
Leaning towards the 3G, but only if its prepaid. Do you think it will be prepaid or on a contract?

melbmac
29th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Leaning towards the 3G, but only if its prepaid. Do you think it will be prepaid or on a contract?

It'll be outright only, so pre or post paid is your choice as will be the carrier.

Down the track we may see them offered on contracts.

Aladdin
29th January 2010, 09:14 PM

Sorry but Steve said (and showed on screen) that the WiFi models will be available worldwide in 60 days.

It will take a further 30 days to get approval for the 3G models. (Hence, 90 days, but no mention of worldwide).

Then, looking at the Apple press release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/01/27ipad.html), it states that:

Pricing & Availability
iPad will be available in late March worldwide for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) for the 64GB model. The Wi-Fi + 3G models of iPad will be available in April in the US and selected countries for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad will be sold in the US through the Apple Store® (Apple (http://www.apple.com)), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. International pricing and worldwide availability will be announced at a later date. iBookstore will be available in the US at launch.

kevinnugent
29th January 2010, 09:15 PM
It seems I may be able to rip the full sized SIM out of my Vodafone Mobile broadband stick, cut it down to microSIM size and put it in the 3G iPad after all. Could be nice when out and about.

pixelicious
29th January 2010, 09:32 PM
I've been thinking about where it's most likely to be used.

for me I imagine sitting on the couch reading the news headlines, maybe playing some GTA:CTW for 30-40 minutes.

or in the office doing some project work.

so in that instance I wouldn't need a 3g connection. I'd like to think that you could tether the iphone to the iPad; but we'll have to wait and see the final model to be sure :)

Pix.

MightyAtom
29th January 2010, 09:42 PM
It seems I may be able to rip the full sized SIM out of my Vodafone Mobile broadband stick, cut it down to microSIM size and put it in the 3G iPad after all. Could be nice when out and about.

I'm hoping to do the same. Though, a couple of things I've read recently have vaguely suggested the 3FF SIM cards are electrically incompatible with Mini-SIMs. Haven't found a definitive answer yet.

avolve
29th January 2010, 09:52 PM
If I get one, wifi only — suit what I would use it for.

speedie_37
30th January 2010, 11:23 AM
I am assuming that it will be compatible with SMS apps if you have the 3g version, so I would probably get it for that.
I send a lot of SMS and it would be good to have a big, easy platform to do that from.

Ecto1
30th January 2010, 11:43 AM
I send a lot of SMS and it would be good to have a big, easy platform to do that from.

I may be wrong but, I don't think it will allow you to send sms or mms from the tablet. Looking at the home screen I don't see a sms app.

speedie_37
30th January 2010, 11:55 AM
I assumed that it wouldn't be native, but I thought third party apps would probably work.
If nothing else, just because there would be no benefit to Apple if they didn't!

Anyway, time will tell I guess....

kevinnugent
30th January 2010, 11:58 AM
I assumed that it wouldn't be native, but I thought third party apps would probably work.
If nothing else, just because there would be no benefit to Apple if they didn't!

Anyway, time will tell I guess....

Do data only plans like the mobile broadband ones allow SMS to be done?

melbmac
30th January 2010, 12:36 PM
Do data only plans like the mobile broadband ones allow SMS to be done?

Don't know about the rest, but the "3" prepaid I have includes 10 free sms with the $29 recharge.

kevinnugent
30th January 2010, 01:56 PM
Why DID Apple Choose the MicroSIM for the iPad?|Gear Diary (http://www.geardiary.com/2010/01/29/why-did-apple-choose-the-microsim-for-the-ipad/)

Looks like it's the wifi version with MiFi for me....

Lutze
30th January 2010, 02:48 PM
Why DID Apple Choose the MicroSIM for the iPad?|Gear Diary (http://www.geardiary.com/2010/01/29/why-did-apple-choose-the-microsim-for-the-ipad/)

Looks like it's the wifi version with MiFi for me....

As has been posted elsewhere (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/rest-easy-ipad-roamers-o2-and-orange-have-micro-sim-orders-to/) - lots of carriers are now putting in massive orders for the microsims. As it stands there is a guide somewhere (I think I saw it on 9to5Mac or TUAW) that shows you how to cut your SIM down to the right size - it's just extra plastic that's not needed.

We're offering a special on a SIM to Micro-SIM conversion kit for iPad | 9 to 5 Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/micro-som-iphone-iPad-conversion-365465756)

I'm also pretty sure that Apple said that the iPad is being sold CONTRACT FREE. I've been reading all over Australian "news" sites that the telco's are scrambling to get in on the act to offer it. That may be true, and it's quite possible that you will be able to buy a subsidised iPad from them locked to their network with a contract, it's also, like the iPhone, going to be sold unlocked here as well.

I considered the MiFi thing - then realised that I don't want to rely on one devices battery life when using another. And really... do I want to sit in a cafe and set stuff up - when I can just pull it out and use it how it's meant to be done?

Joey1983
30th January 2010, 04:25 PM
If I can tether my iPhone I'll get the Wi-Fi model, if not 3G it is.

recd
30th January 2010, 04:52 PM
3G for me for the Navionics marine application and Tom Tom on that screen Although does it have GPS or use mobile towers for location?

Lutze
30th January 2010, 04:56 PM
3G for me for the Navionics marine application and Tom Tom on that screen Although does it have GPS or use mobile towers for location?

The 3G model has GPS (http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/specs/).

Digital compass
Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

jack112006
30th January 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not quite sure which way I am going to go. I spend most of my time at Home & School, both which have Wi-Fi networks. If I can tether my iPhone to the iPad, I will get a 64GB Wi-Fi model. If I can't, I will get a 32GB 3G model. It's that simple for me.

avolve
30th January 2010, 07:08 PM
If I get one, wifi only — suit what I would use it for.

Have given it some more thought - I can see merit in the 3G version...