PDA

View Full Version : The single biggest problem with the ipad.

mitty
28th January 2010, 06:58 PM
Naturally me and my partner are talking all things ipad this evening, and suddenly it dawned on us what the single biggest problem is with the ipad.

A lot of people have said "this will be great for my mother".

But, unless you visit regularly and are nearby, there's one major problem. Your mother is still going to need a computer (regardless of if it's Mac or PC).

Sure, she could buy content from the itunes store, (not books, bastards!) and apps etc. But in the end, she would need to sync her ipad with a PC of some description.

So, you can't say that this replaces a computer, because, eventually, you're going to need to plug it into one, even if it's just for the next software update.

decryption
28th January 2010, 07:00 PM
It's also not revealed how you do updates to this thing - do you need a Mac/Windows computer to make it sync to iTunes and upgrade it's firmware?

mitty
28th January 2010, 07:04 PM
^ one would presume so, unless apple have somehow built software updates in. But I doubt it... also you would think that ipad would have the same restrictions as the iphone and you wouldn't be able to download anything over 10MB unless you were connected via wifi.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 07:54 PM
My wife has an aunt who uses an iPhone without EVER using iTune. The relative who gave her the iPhone visits her more than a year later to do the first firmware upgrade.

So don't worry about this fir your mum. Just see her at least once a year and you bring along your notebook to do the maintenance yearly. :-)

mitty
28th January 2010, 07:58 PM
^haha well I'm not specifically talking about my mother... my parents are thankfully a bit techified and have both a desktop and a laptop computer. But I get where you're coming from ;)

matrixgeek
28th January 2010, 08:15 PM
My wife has an aunt who uses an iPhone without EVER using iTune. The relative who gave her the iPhone visits her more than a year later to do the first firmware upgrade.

So don't worry about this fir your mum. Just see her at least once a year and you bring along your notebook to do the maintenance yearly. :-)

Exactly - a mate of mine has an iPhone and no computer. He updates it on my MBP. He's already drooling over the iPad, as all he really does is Web and mail so has no real use for a Mac

markhellewell
28th January 2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah everything will be "in the cloud" quite soon

Anthonyw
28th January 2010, 09:11 PM
I am thinking this would be great for my grandma who has no access to a computer. I cant see much need for her syncing (but if need be could be once every 6 months or year to my computer, mums computer).

If it does what she needs out of the box software updates arent crucial, and she is unlikely to be downloading apps of any great size...

Will be interesting to see if this is possible though, or you really do need to sync...

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:20 PM
No you don't need to sync. I can go days or weeks without doing it myself.

W9cae
28th January 2010, 10:25 PM
I agree my 85 year old tech mum would like the iPad & Apple knows this also.

Brains
29th January 2010, 05:16 AM
If the iPhone and Toucha re anything to go by, once the iPad is authorised, linked to an iTunes account, and activated, it doesn't need to have another computer to be useful. Admittedly, music/media will be limited to iTunes Store for the most part, but as a simple web terminal, the iPad is a screaming winner for the technologically clueless.

The Wi-Fi-only model will need some kind of wireless access in the house to be useful, and a Mac or PC with iTunes for activation. The Wi-Fi + 3G model can self-activate provided it has access to a suitable 3G phone/data network.