PDA

View Full Version : Anthony and MacTalk in The Age re iPad. :)

Erwin
28th January 2010, 05:46 PM
I did a search to see if this was already posted, couldn't find anything.

Apple iPad | Australia | specs | camera | USB | iBooks (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/awe-and-shock-busting-through-the-ipad-hype-20100128-n0z0.html)

Anthony Agius, owner of the popular Australian Apple community website, MacTalk, said he could live without most of the omitted features but the lack of iBooks was a deal breaker.

"I don't think there's anything that has been left out that's necessary or can't be added on through accessories but the iBook feature is the main selling point," he said.

"Given what happened with the iTunes music store launch, it could be months or even years before it [iBooks] comes out on the iPad in Australia."

P.S. Please delete if this is a repost.

decryption
28th January 2010, 05:56 PM
Marc was also in the video above in article :)

benb
28th January 2010, 06:13 PM
The article is spot on when it comes to the iBook app as this should be one of the killer features for the iPad. However, they did not get the GPS bit right, the 3G versions of the iPad will include Assisted GPS just like the iPhone.

There is no full GPS support either but the more expensive 3G models, set to be released a month after the standard models, can pinpoint your location on Google Maps using nearby mobile towers.

scar68
28th January 2010, 06:31 PM
I hope the iBook feature is enabled for us quickly. In theory it should be. Currently I use Ereader on the iphone and there is aslo the Amazon app. Sure the amount of material is not as broad as in other countries, but it is there live and has been for some time.

I believe this means that a number of publishers have released some of their work for electronic devices. Getting the rights to allow this content for iBook should just be a formality. Even if this isn't online when they ship you can use other sites.

What we need is for the Aust publishing industry to stop dragging its knuckles, join the new millennium and release a lot more content, quickly. I want to give you guys my money FFS.

Hopefully the force of the Apple marketing juggernaut will speed this up.

bellylisa01
28th January 2010, 07:23 PM
I too would buy the ipad in a heartbeat if it guaranteed that ibooks app would be already there. I am a real book worm and have bookshelves overflowing with books so ipad would be just perfect - for me - god I want one!!!! if only so I can have heaps more books without taking up the space!!

Gothikon
28th January 2010, 09:27 PM
It sucks that we're always behind the US for things like this. However it can still display web ages, PDFs, and a whole bunch of other formats including ePub with apps like Stanza so there is plenty to keep people busy in the short term.

W9cae
28th January 2010, 10:40 PM
Not sure if its my age showing but reading books from a digital reader becomes annoying. Resulting in me going back to paper printed copy. There is something very tactile in holding & handling paper printed book.

emacmark
29th January 2010, 05:26 AM
We are planning on caravanning around Aus for a few years. My wife loves to read. This new device will suit our needs down to a tee. Though I do agree reading from a paper source is easier for me than a screen:p:p

BiRDBRAiN
29th January 2010, 06:32 AM
I like to buy all my O'Reilly books from the O'Reilly online store because they bundle a PDF/ebook version, which I usually load onto my iPod touch and read via Airsharing.

This would be much better, and mean I would only need the ebook version.

I think this will bring the ebook market what iTunes brought the music market.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 06:53 AM
I hope the iBook feature is enabled for us quickly. In theory it should be. Currently I use Ereader on the iphone and there is aslo the Amazon app. Sure the amount of material is not as broad as in other countries, but it is there live and has been for some time.

Which is a problem. The whole regional restrictions thing is the reason I don't have an audible account. So much of the content is not available to Australian subscribers. And this kind of thing is why I'm really reticent about digital media.