PDA

View Full Version : A question about copying pictures TO an SD card...

melbmac
28th January 2010, 05:19 PM
I have a question for the more clued up people out there....

Copying image files from the desktop to an SD card is presenting an issue for a friend of mine.

I know that when you export photos from iPhoto to a folder it sends along a thumbnail with the main file somewhere which can cause issues when you go to print the files.

I have always recommended people copy the files to their desktop (drag & drop), drag that folder to the SD card (or burn it to a CD/DVD) then come in to print said images. This has always solved the issue, until recently.

So, now, said friend, is having the issue of thumbnail files coming along with the main image. The files don't show up on OSX, but when used though a windows computer, there they are, the duplicate files.

I've asked around a few people I know with macs, the answers range from depends on the camera and/or operating system through to the usual windows user type answers we all love so much.

So what is going on?

Why has the method I've used in the past to circumvent this issue cropped up all of a sudden?

I've been tinkering around with copying files for the last hour or so using my mac and testing on my brother windows box and I still don;t appear to be having this issue...

Does the camera make a difference?

Has something changed in OS X 10.6?

Help?

Sorry if this has been covered or is in the wrong spot, I did give the search button a bash...

melbmac
29th January 2010, 09:50 AM
Anyone???

Something I've missed?

stewiesno1
29th January 2010, 11:42 PM
I know with my Panasonic plasma TV with an SD slot reading in the manual that photos taken on the camera with the SD card inside will show all pictures on the TV.
Shunt the SD card into a computer first and adjust the photos in any way then transfer back to the card and try to view these on the TV will make these changed photos unviewable.
The original ones or any not tampered with or viewed on the computer first are still viewable through the TV's SD slot.
I'm unsure why but it must change the file format in some way even though they are still saved as common old jpegs ( as they were before manipulation ).
I wiped one of my cards then took ten shots and transferred five to my computer and adjusted them then back onto the card.
Sure enough the five unadjusted shots came straight up on the TV but the other ones - no where to be seen.
I tried all sorts of things to get them to view on the TV but no dice.
If I hook up an external drive or a CD with lots of mixed originals and some that had been played around with , they all show on the TV.
Just not through the SD card.

Have a trawl through the iphoto forum and you may turn up the answer if no-one here posts why.
Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhoto (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=143)

Stewie

ChrisA
30th January 2010, 02:10 PM
Having a very similar issue.
Working in 10.4.11
Export photos after cropping and manipulation to a folder.
Folders, photos and Thumbnails show.
I want to find a way to stop it creating the thumbnail.
Have tried a variety of formats on the SD card using both Disk Utilities and the camera to format the SD card.
Have also looked in system preferences but cannot find that option
No luck so far.:confused1:
All suggestions gratefully received

melbmac
30th January 2010, 03:08 PM
Exporting IME has always sent across a thumbnail file as well, the solution used to be dragging the files directly from iPhoto to a folder, then to the SD card.

Now this seems to be creating a duplicate file as well.