PDA

View Full Version : What the Ipad means for me

minski
28th January 2010, 04:31 PM
I have an Iphone 3GS, a Mabook Pro 17 and and Imac 24.....these three have met most of my needs for a while, although I have been thinking of dropping the Macbook Pro for a Macbook Air. The pro was just too heavy and hot for the niche it filled (for me).

The Ipad is a bit of a game changer...clearly the Air is no longer necessary. But it got me thinking....what about the iphone...I have owner the original 8gb, the 3g and now the 3gs. I kinda figured whatever the new model would have been this year would probably ended up with me as well. However if I get myself an Ipad, maintain all the apps that I use from the itunes store, just why would I upgrade my iphone?

Suddenly I was thinking that the Google Nexus 1 is a real possibility, or any other phone that may come along, suddenly I felt free of the iphone ecosystem and my options have expanded.

I will definitely by an Ipad, but apple may have lost the sale of the Macbook Air and possibly another iphone.

AfterBurner_1
28th January 2010, 05:13 PM
hey im interested in a MBP lets work something out.

titan44
28th January 2010, 05:40 PM
Apple has lifted the VOIP restrictions on the mobile SDK, seeing the iPad has Bluetooth and provided apple doesn't mess with the BT stack, possibly, you could get a decent VOIP provider, drop the iPhone and Macbook and just tote around a BT headset and iPad.

Unfortunately BT headset wearing folk tend to look like complete tools.

Brains
28th January 2010, 06:45 PM
For me, it means absolute bupkiss. The iPad is naught more than an iPod Touch on steroids, and I believe this subforum will be merged into the iPod subforum once everyone stops going googly-ga-ga over it. It can't do anything else apart from being a portable media terminal. It has a custom CPU in it so it can't be jailbroken (or won't be for a long time) or run anything other than iPhoneOS 3. You can't use a stylus with it, and whilst it has a microphone, the 3G-enabled model can't double as an iPhone (although VoIP will be coming later, allegedly).

It doesn't even make a good e-reader because its screen is backlit.

For me, it's nothing but a ten-inch yawn.

jack112006
28th January 2010, 06:49 PM
For me, the iPad changes a lot. Being a student, I will be lining up for this device on day one. The screen size is just right, and it brings together all the right parts for me. The iBooks app (when its available), Safari, Media management and yes, the calendar app. These for apps combined, along with the App Store, truly make this a game changer for me.

braex27
28th January 2010, 06:55 PM
To be perfectly honest, the iPad means so little to me. It doesn't really change the landscape, as far as I am concerned.

Sure, I'll admit it does a little more than an iPod Touch, but it doesn't come near the capabilities attributed to a MacBook or MBP. As a student, I'd much prefer my MBP which allows me to take notes, and multi-task.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think thart sort of multi-tasking ability is available on the iPad. That, coupled with the price differential and the cost of peripherals (i.e., keyboards...etc.), I think it'll come quite close to the cost of a MacBook.

So, my question is, save for it being a touchscreen and quite compact - what else does it have going for it?

That's just me. I appreciate it will be a great attraction to many.