PDA

View Full Version : iPad: perfect for the technophobe in your life

hangdog
28th January 2010, 11:09 AM
Everybody knows somebody who just isn't comfortable with computers. The iPhone/iPod Touch broke the barrier for some.

For my parents, I think the iPad stands the best chance of becoming the first computer that they will really use: it's a comfortable size rather than fiddly, and the UI isn't scary, and they can do things without too many obstacles being put in their way.

This is a class of users that the iPad will really benefit.

mallo
28th January 2010, 11:12 AM
Everybody knows somebody who just isn't comfortable with computers. The iPhone/iPod Touch broke the barrier for some.

For my parents, I think the iPad stands the best chance of becoming the first computer that they will really use: it's a comfortable size rather than fiddly, and the UI isn't scary, and they can do things without too many obstacles being put in their way.

This is a class of users that the iPad will really benefit.

Agreed 100%.

To me, the iPad is the perfect device to get that computer illiterate person, combine it with the keyboard dock, and you've got a great little device to browse, type up emails and the odd iwork doc. easy, hard to break, and with the 3G option, they have it on the web without needing anything else installed in their home.

Phunky
28th January 2010, 11:12 AM
I doubt this is a computer replacement
Its not like you could use this by itself, its meant to be docked and synced to something
I think this is more for geeks who want to be connected to the net 24/7, hence the 3g option

mallo
28th January 2010, 11:20 AM
I doubt this is a computer replacement
Its not like you could use this by itself, its meant to be docked and synced to something
I think this is more for geeks who want to be connected to the net 24/7, hence the 3g option

explain your theory? Why does it have to be synced? I understand it can be synced, but i put to you that it does not have to be synced. You could get buy perfectly, and the audience mentioned here, would achieve all they wish without syncing.

It has full (to my knowlege) connectivity to the app store / itunes store.
It can check emails.
Browse the Web
Listen to Music
& More via apps.

For the tech illiterate, who just wanted to learn how to email their daughter in london, or bid of that stamp to add to their collection on ebay, this could be the perfect device.

Exocet
28th January 2010, 11:21 AM
You can even activate the device ON the device. The need to sync with a computer is not absolute

Domenic
28th January 2010, 11:27 AM
I agree 100% with this. I am planning on getting my mother one, as it's the perfect price, and she'll use it mainly for email and web browsing. We could even dock it in the kitchen so she could look up recipes, etc. It's perfect for what she needs it for!

u98925
28th January 2010, 12:26 PM
I was thinking of getting one for the inlaws as they have zero computer skills and teaching them to use an iMac would be almost imposable.

I just hope that it can use different languages other then English.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 12:29 PM
I was thinking of getting one for the inlaws as they have zero computer skills and teaching them to use an iMac would be almost imposable.

I just hope that it can use different languages other then English.

It will be able to do that, just like in iPhone, since it is using the same OS.

Anthonyw
28th January 2010, 12:45 PM
My 85 year old grandma is just getting onto the net (starting to use email and facebook and visiting a couple of websites). Add in the odd e-book potentially, some photos of the grandkids and she will think this is the best.

From my point of view it is great for her - good screen, can zoom in easily to see parts of what she is reading (her sight isnt the best), she doesn't have to worry about constant updates, she doesn't need to sync it, it can be used with a keyboard or without and one touch access to all the things she needs. And the best thing, if it crashes, simple restart like the iPhone.

Decryption hit the nail on the head with appliance computing, it will be for people who want basic functionality without the hassle of owning a computer...

iCameron
28th January 2010, 12:46 PM
My mum and dad would NOT love this... one reason.. No flash!

Perhaps my parents are too young. However, it would be great for the older-person in your life. Good point!

Japester
28th January 2010, 12:52 PM

Perhaps my parents are too young. However, it would be great for the older-person in your life. Good point!

Again with the f***ing Flash! Do they regularly visit Flash sites? Do they really need it? This strikes me as very similar to the complaint about the original iMac to having a floppy drive. Where are the floppy drives now, eh?

I think that the rise of the iPhone has weakened Flash's hold on the web and if this device takes off just as madly, Flash's days may be numbered and I for one would dance on its grave hurling epithets at its rotting corpse.

Can you imagine your parents ringing up a company to say that they're trying to use their website but their stupid Flash shit doesn't work? Maybe said companies would get the message that their sites are worthless.

tonyberinson
28th January 2010, 12:55 PM
Japester,

I use flash for work - and constantly for websites that I visit - I run a Vbulletin Chat Room which uses flash.

This would be idea for using to surf and monitor that site - but as for the chat room - well then its a FAIL for me...

So to answer your question - yes flash is used and yes it is used by many including myself.

mallo
28th January 2010, 12:57 PM

not actually sure why you posted in this thread.

no one mentioned it being great for parents.

the point being made here, is that its great for people that have extremely limited, or no computer knowledge.

If you parents use/know about flash, then they clearly are not who the topic of conversation is about.

Japester,

I use flash for work - and constantly for websites that I visit - I run a Vbulletin Chat Room which uses flash.

This would be idea for using to surf and monitor that site - but as for the chat room - well then its a FAIL for me...

So to answer your question - yes flash is used and yes it is used by many including myself.

This only shows that the majority of websites running flash are websites that are far behind with their tech implementation.

Within 2yrs I predict no mainstream website will be using flash (in its current form).

It will either be re-invented, and then people will use it, or it will die a quick death at the hand of HTML5.

But i digress.

Japester
28th January 2010, 12:58 PM
Japester,

Well that's different. Sorry you can't use it.

Japester
28th January 2010, 01:05 PM
This only shows that the majority of websites running flash are websites that are far behind with their tech implementation.

Within 2yrs I predict no mainstream website will be using flash (in its current form).

It will either be re-invented, and then people will use it, or it will die a quick death at the hand of HTML5.

But i digress.

Love the digression. I'm really worked up today about Flash, mostly from people who have been bluntly saying no Flash = fail, without any explanation. It frustrates me why people can't get why the iPhone and iPad will never get Flash. Long live HTML5!

lavo
28th January 2010, 01:23 PM
I see the iPad as the perfect replacement for my aging Powerbook. I only use it for the exact things they outlined in the iPad. And then I can ditch my bulky laptop bag, and go back to using a light backpack again.

My only gripe is not having video chat on this thing. It would have been perfect for it! And the killer app - my bet it will be voice dictation. I'd bet the house that Naturally Speaking will come out for it, and will work in sync with the new iWork bundle :-)

Oh, and I can't wait to see the cases and covers for the iPad over the coming months...I bet there will be some fantastic designs :-)

dolbinau
28th January 2010, 01:26 PM
This strikes me as very similar to the complaint about the original iMac to having a floppy drive. Where are the floppy drives now, eh?

How was removing the floppy drive at the time a 'good thing'? With no burner, not everyone connected to the net, USB obviously was not a standard..how did you transfer files?

iCameron
28th January 2010, 01:30 PM
Again with the f***ing Flash! Do they regularly visit Flash sites? Do they really need it?

I can promise you they VERY REGULARLY use it. and if a website doesn't work because of flash, they're going to be pissed.

Floppy Discs were obsolete, Flash is not. I know it's "against apple's wishes" but in the mainstream (where my parents are) everyone uses flash. If my mother can't get on Facebook and play some farmville, she's going to be pissed.

You can't create a game in HTML5 can you? I dare you, go ONE week without flash.. Uninstall it now and maybe you'll be less naive.

not actually sure why you posted in this thread.

the point being made here, is that its great for people that have extremely limited, or no computer knowledge.

If you parents use/know about flash, then they clearly are not who the topic of conversation is about.

They don't know or use flash willingly, hell they don't even know what it's about! It's a seamless integration one that is painfully obvious when using an iPhone or a browser without flash.

It seems that everyone is very upset about Flash not being / being.

Also Mallo

Read the damn OP before you get on your high horse.

mallo
28th January 2010, 01:49 PM
Also Mallo

Read the damn OP before you get on your high horse.

Let me clarify, no one (including the OP) was specifically talking about it being great for parents.

For him, it's his parents, for someone else it may be an uncle, and for another a grandparent.

The point being made, is it will be great for the person who currently does not use a computer, and maybe has found it hard to learn in the past.

If you parents are educated in the use of computers enough to use & miss flash, than they are not included in this topic of discussion.

P.S your mum plays farmville? :rolleyes:

And have a read here, RE what HTML5 can do, and wether games can be written using it.

How HTML5 Will Change the Way You Use the Web - HTML5 - Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5416100/how-html5-will-change-the-way-you-use-the-web)

Phunky
28th January 2010, 02:36 PM
How would your parents go about printing something? Say a photo or something?
I also wonder will updates for the device be done through itunes which would require syncing? Or will there be an auto update feature on the device itself?
Also, say the folks get emailed an avi or mpg from the kids, will the ipad be able to play these formats natively? Or will they need to be converted to an itnes compatable format, synced, and then played?

Lutze
28th January 2010, 02:42 PM
I also wonder will updates for the device be done through itunes which would require syncing? Or will there be an auto update feature on the device itself?
Also, say the folks get emailed an avi or mpg from the kids, will the ipad be able to play these formats natively? Or will they need to be converted to an itnes compatable format, synced, and then played?

Currently - they can't.

Yes.

No.

No.

Yes.

Unless Apple have altered the SDK / OS significantly these will remain the answers to your questions.

mallo
28th January 2010, 02:44 PM

Of course there will be limitations, but i'm convinced the positives for the computer illiterate person, that have no interest in learning extensive skills will be much higher than the negatives.

Software updates: I imagine will need a full computer with itunes, my suggestion is the relative/friend that helps them setup the iPad in the first place could help them with this.

Printing: Unless it supports wireless printing (unlikely) chances are they would need to email the file to a friend/relative with a printer. Although its possible a cable may be developed that attaches to the bottom of it and runs to a USB printer.

MPG/AVI: If the file isn't supported it won't be able to be played, so this is one of the limitations.

u98925
28th January 2010, 03:10 PM

Photo printing can be done via Lifepics (http://www.lifepics.com/iphone.htm).

Submit a photo and they arrive in the mail a couple of days later.

Jimbo
28th January 2010, 03:55 PM
does anyone seriously print photos at their home anymore? teds do prints for about 10c if you pick your day, i'm sure you could do this from the ipad.

jack112006
28th January 2010, 06:45 PM
My Mum uses the iMac in our household day in and day out. She uses iPhoto like a pro and is beginning to get into Aperture. iMovie is also something she is looking at for when she gets a camera with better video quality. Then she watched the iPad video. Up until today, our future Apple roadmap was for a 27" iMac in October and a new iPhone whenever it comes out. That is now completely different. The future roadmap now looks like this: two iPads and a new iPhone. Maybe a new iMac one day. That's how powerful this has been. My Mum, who is by no means a technophobe is convinced that this is supreme to the 27" iMac for what she does. That, my friends, is just how powerful the iPad can be.

Phunky
28th January 2010, 07:14 PM
If she's by no means a technophobe, then it doesn't really support the argument of the OP

scruffie
28th January 2010, 07:46 PM
i think printing still pretty important. especially to a technophobe. they aren't likely to print out pictures, i reckon they are more likely to print out recipes that they find and like or travel arrangements that they make.

a more confident person would be happy with bookmarking things, storing things on email or some sort of cloud, but i think the technophobes would still feel more comfortable with a hard copy.

that's not to say that the iPad's simple and easy to use interface isn't for them. its just that i think they can't solely rely on the iPad to meet all their needs. and if its my mum you are talking about, she would be so confused with using both the eMac and the iPad - even when the safari and mail interfaces are so similar.

jack112006
28th January 2010, 07:56 PM
If she's by no means a technophobe, then it doesn't really support the argument of the OP

Guess thats true... But this still shows the power this thing can have over the average person.