PDA

View Full Version : The Apple iPad, why everybody hates it!

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 08:55 AM
http://images.apple.com/ipad/gallery/images/hardware-01-20100127.jpg

The Apple iPad was unveiled today at Apple's media event in San Francisco. As soon as Steve dropped the revolutionary device the internet went overboard with comments like "The iPad is crap" "It will never take off" "The iPad is doomed." The iPad is not doomed, it's quite the opposite, the iPad is the future it will take off and be a huge success. The iPad fits a market need, Apple have seen this market need and have addressed in their best and innovative way. In the next few years the iPad will evolve to fit new needs of the market.

As the internet evolves with social media companies like Apple have to keep looking/designing new ways to keep their customers and the market happy with new innovation. The iPad is this new innovation, it's what Apple sees and deems most appropriate for the now. As things change in a few years the products will change to fit until one day when you can no longer make a product fit and you then have to innovate again.

So why all this cry over the iPad? People over expected of this mystical device and the rumours didn't help. The rumours hyped people up and got them to think and dream about this awesome product. They thought it would be the best and it would have XRAY vision, 3D screens, ect. But when Steve Jobs dropped it at the keynote it was nothing compared to what they thought and believed it would be like. People then begin to dislike it because it doesn't have a camera and/or XRAY vision and start naming it a "failure." People need to step back and look at it from another perspective instead of their dream world where everything comes true and only after that they can begin to see the light.

The iPad is the future!

DagrtheSnide
28th January 2010, 09:01 AM
That was nice and fluffy :)

Here's a Reddit comment

"Just yesterday I was looking at my iPhone thinking "Hmmm, I wish this thing didn't fit in my pocket, [didn't make phone calls and didn't have any sort of camera]." Then I looked over to my netbook and couldn't help but feel it would benefit from losing the keyboard, [not being able to run Flash, having an OS that is a totally closed environment] and being made of 50% glass.

Finally apple gives me what I wish."

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 09:01 AM
Don't worry about what others are thinking. As long as it meets your needs, just get it. No approval from others is needed.

afton
28th January 2010, 09:05 AM
because it doesn't come with wings.

TheKeddi
28th January 2010, 09:07 AM
I need no aproval from anyone, I am getting one imported on launch!

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 09:09 AM

I thought the wifi version would be available worldwide?

twombles_62
I don't think wanting a camera is so ludicrous or that I am living in a 'dream world' for wanting a camera.

DagrtheSnide

I don't think you will have any trouble sourcing an Apple Pad.

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 09:16 AM
Don't worry about what others are thinking. As long as it meets your needs, just get it. No approval from others is needed.

I don't need/want it. I wrote this piece because of the huge number of people making negative comments about the iPad and refusing to look at it any other way but through their own eyes.

But I do agree if it fits your need, go for it.

decryption
28th January 2010, 09:17 AM

No need to import - it's coming out in Australia before the USA! (only a few hours before, thanks to the time difference). Worldwide launch is 60 days from now (90 days for the 3G model).

mallo
28th January 2010, 09:24 AM
No need to import - it's coming out in Australia before the USA! (only a few hours before, thanks to the time difference). Worldwide launch is 60 days from now (90 days for the 3G model).

Source? You Sure?

Why wouldnt it be online on the apple au store in that case?

Minkey
How are Australia's Parallel import laws for books going to affect the iBookstore in Australia? Will it be hobbled the same way it is for the Kindle?

M

macmusic
I don't think wanting a camera is so ludicrous or that I am living in a 'dream world' for wanting a camera.

I'm with you twombles. I dont think that an isight camera is such a far-fetched 'fantasy' feature. Especially given that most, nearly all, netbooks at a lower price point have one. Also a SD card slot or even a USB port isn't too much to ask for is it? The killer blow for me though would be the closed OS. Looking roughly $1000AUD for the 64GB model I'd much rather have my 13 inch Macbook with 500GB of storage which I picked up for the same price

entropy
28th January 2010, 09:27 AM
I exepected a camera and an SD card slot. Ah well, something for the accessory makers and then it will work in portrait or landscape.

darksplat
The Micro GSM SIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-SIM)card damm it would of been better if it used the mini GSM SIM (n iPhone now) then It would be easly changed over all well maybe the next iPhone will be micro GSM Sim card as well!!

maclab
Apple could have given us that mystical itablet device we fantasised about with all the rumours, apple are just milking us, perhaps the itablet is yet to come :-)

MrJesseRoss
Source? You Sure?

Apple Launches iPad (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/01/27ipad.html)

iPad will be available in late March worldwide for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) for the 64GB model. The Wi-Fi + 3G models of iPad will be available in April in the US and selected countries for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad will be sold in the US through the Apple Store® (Apple (http://www.apple.com)), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. International pricing and worldwide availability will be announced at a later date.

decryption
28th January 2010, 09:29 AM
Source? You Sure?

That's what Steve said in the keynote! See:

http://losersdeadbeatsknockersandgrubs.com/imgdump/apple-tablet-keynote_181-20100128-102855.jpg

The Apple AU website hasn't been updated yet (not even the US store has the iPad - it's just a graphic linking back to the main iPad page as you can't order them yet).

I doubt Apple AU/Asia Pacific even knew it was coming until today.

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm with you twombles. I dont think that an isight camera is such a far-fetched 'fantasy' feature. Especially given that most, nearly all, netbooks at a lower price point have one. Also a USB port isn't too much to ask for is it? The killer blow for me though would be the closed OS. Looking roughly $1000AUD for the 64GB model I'd much rather have my 13 inch Macbook with 500GB of storage which I picked up for the same price

What are you going to use a USB port for when your on the couch browsing the internet or reading a book?

If the market sees a product that fits perfectly and is innovative most of the time they usually have no problem paying top dollar for such a product.

An iPad is far superior to a 13" MacBook on a couch. It's more comfortable and easier to use especially when your watching TV at the same time. Which seems to be the latest trends these days.

Japester
28th January 2010, 09:34 AM
I don't need/want it. I wrote this piece because of the huge number of people making negative comments about the iPad and refusing to look at it any other way but through their own eyes.

But I do agree if it fits your need, go for it.

Good piece. The complete condemnation of the device simply because it lacks one fantasised feature shits me livid. It is what it is. You can't change it, so stop bitching.

Also, you haven't experienced one so you haven't really gotten Apple's viewpoint on it yet. I believe you've got to watch the keynote in full for any event to get where they're coming from. That and using the device gives you the understanding of what it really is, then you can make a decision as to whether it's for you.

Perhaps the bitchers aren't the market Apple is aiming this at.

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 09:34 AM
Straight after his speech, Steve Jobs excused himself to rush off stage and go and take a dump, saying "this will be the most important thing I've ever done".

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 09:37 AM
An iPad is far superior to a 13" MacBook on a couch. It's more comfortable and easier to use especially when your watching TV at the same time. Which seems to be the latest trends these days.

Well said.

macmusic
28th January 2010, 09:41 AM

You know this because I guess you've been lucky enough to use an iPad already?

Also the USB port would make for transferring files, much easier whilst on the move. Correct me if im wrong but it is suppose to be an ultra-portable device isn't it? Why else would we have a 3G option for browsing 'on the go', true?

Japester
28th January 2010, 09:48 AM
I think if you're puzzled about this device, if you don't "get it", especially after using one, it may not be for you. You won't necessarily fit every Apple product, unlike Decryption! :D

mallo
28th January 2010, 09:49 AM
Apple Launches iPad (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/01/27ipad.html)

http://losersdeadbeatsknockersandgrubs.com/imgdump/apple-tablet-keynote_181-20100128-102855.jpg

The Apple AU website hasn't been updated yet (not even the US store has the iPad - it's just a graphic linking back to the main iPad page as you can't order them yet).

ah. would seem to be a fairly conclusive source ;]

davemc
28th January 2010, 09:58 AM
no webcam? Why do they have a problem with webcam in portable devices.
I would like video calling/skype on the iphone, although no video for chat/skype on a so called netbook? My mates cheap eee pc has that. :p
The SD card/USB is not great although everyone would buy a bottom level and add there own so you can see why.
You think it would of had display port so you can plug it into the new 27"
If I read correctly no GPS unless you get the 3G version.

One Question I cannot find can you open safari in multiple tabs, one thing I do not like about iphone/itouch you cannot go open in new tab.

Really it looks like a big ipod touch. For what will be close to UAD$800 for bottom of the range, I had a Dell mini that could add a touch screen to for cheaper and ran full OSX.

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 10:02 AM
Really it looks like a big ipod touch.

That's EXACTLY what it is, and why so many people are unhappy - there's NOTHING genuinely "revolutionary" about it.

dekco
28th January 2010, 10:06 AM
i would have preferred an open version of OSX. much like any mac we buy, with the ability to download anything we want. i think the closed OS (ipod/iphone) is too restrictive. But if this product has a large market base, then you can bet that the apps will be plentiful.

feeze
28th January 2010, 10:07 AM
Since when is this reaction any different from any other Apple event?

It always the same cycle; massive hype before event, Apple launches product, everyone is underwhelmed and complains, people start using it and realise how awesome a product is, massive hype of next Apple product, repeat.

The iPad could of had Jesus pop out of the screen, cure all the worlds problems and serve you a bacon cake and people would still complain.

As for the lack of features, it's a 1st generation product. Apples 1st gen products are always under featured. If it came out with everything, there would be no incentive to upgrade to the second generation etc. ;)

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 10:07 AM
You know this because I guess you've been lucky enough to use an iPad already?

Also the USB port would make for transferring files, much easier whilst on the move. Correct me if im wrong but it is suppose to be an ultra-portable device isn't it? Why else would we have a 3G option for browsing 'on the go', true?

The cloud is the solution. Apple and other companies are pushing more and more towards the cloud because of the features it offers, eg: you can store your documents in the cloud and sync them between computers and the iPad (assuming iPad supports cloud syncing.)

The iPad and many other Apple products (iPhone) are also about freedom; not being tied down to a desk or having to use it with cables and USB drives.

No, I have not used an iPad yet.

toholio
28th January 2010, 10:09 AM
Will it be hobbled the same way it is for the Kindle?

Most definitely.

The problem is the publishers. This product will help put more pressure on them, which is also good for other eBook readers.

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:12 AM
Since when is this reaction any different from any other Apple event?

It always the same cycle; massive hype before event, Apple launches product, everyone is underwhelmed and complains, people start using it and realise how awesome a product is, massive hype of next Apple product, repeat.

The iPad could of had Jesus pop out of the screen, cure all the worlds problems and serve you a bacon cake and people would still complain.

As for the lack of features, it's a 1st generation product. Apples 1st gen products are always under featured. If it came out with everything, there would be no incentive to upgrade to the second generation etc. ;)

Yes, the hype is shitting me. Apple has no hope of catering to everyone's fantasies. It's the fault of the rumourmongers that people are unhappy with it.

dotnet
28th January 2010, 10:33 AM
So, where exactly does it fit in? Given that it replaces neither iPhone nor Mac - am I supposed to have an iPhone, a Mac and an iPad now? I think I'll pass.

Cheers
Steffen.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:37 AM
So, where exactly does it fit in? Given that it replaces neither iPhone nor Mac - am I supposed to have an iPhone, a Mac and an iPad now? I think I'll pass.

Cheers
Steffen.

Say you're in the toilet at home. Would you prefer to browse the net, read the GoogleReader etc with an iPhone's tiny screen or with something bigger? I don't imagine anyone who lug in a notebook into the toilet.

LennyX
28th January 2010, 10:39 AM
No one knew how this type of device was going to fit in to their lives and expected that Apple would show us the light and make clear exactly why we all need a 10 inch Apple tablet computer. Problem is that we probably still won't really know how it's going to fit in with our other devices until we've already got one.

sirmudkip
28th January 2010, 10:40 AM
Christ, they just pinch zoomed out an image of an iPod touch, made a huuuuuuuuuuge bezel and made new apps for the same OS. It'd be a game changer if it was intuitive. It's the opposite, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed that they released this as a better option to netbooks.

Arkhum_Eramak
28th January 2010, 10:40 AM
One Question I cannot find can you open safari in multiple tabs, one thing I do not like about iphone/itouch you cannot go open in new tab.

By holding down on a link in MobileSafari you can open in a new page, which works pretty much like tabs.

I was pretty 'meh' looking at the pics and specs, but when I saw that video on the Apple site I was pretty blown away by how fluid and functional it looks. Now I wish I had a reason to want one!

*edit* I do wish it had an SD card slot though, it would be much easier for apps like iWork I think to have some form of removable storage. It might be perfect for uni word processing or similar (though I don't go to uni).

resonance
28th January 2010, 10:41 AM

I don't believe that source. They're sketchy at best! :P

But I do tend to agree with the summary of why people are unhappy with it.

When I saw it, I thought it wasn't anything revolutionarly special that I just had to have, But I want an ebook reader and I held out for this for good reason. It meets all of my requirements plus a few here and there. I struggle to think of anything that could be added to make it that much better.

For me, personally.
Lack of SD card slot doesn't bug me because 64Gb is enough for all my iTunes, a wide selection of movies and all the books I could think of.

Lack of front facing camera has never bothered me on anything. Mobile Video calls never took off at all and I don't get a lot of the time why people bleet about not having one.

The iPhone OS is a bit of a bother, but if you look at it from a time point of view it makes sense. You start with something and it improves over time. If you need a reminder of this, try iPhone OS 1.0 :P

No Usb - Again, it would be nice, but its hardly cataclysmic that it doesn't have it. Wireless is the rage these days. :P

No HDMI out (without converters) - How many of you don't already have some form of media Centre set up and running?

For me, its a kickarse Ebook reader. Not a Macbook Pro shrunken to a monitor size and flogged off on the cheap.

I think I'm getting what I wanted :)

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:42 AM
No one knew how this type of device was going to fit in to their lives and expected that Apple would show us the light and make clear exactly why we all need a 10 inch Apple tablet computer. Problem is that we probably still won't really know how it's going to fit in with our other devices until we've already got one.

True. I think it has the potential to replace my MacBook Air but I'll have to spend time with it to know.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:43 AM
No one knew how this type of device was going to fit in to their lives

I do know how a device like this will fit into my life - prominently. Have been wanting this for a long long time.

In the past, I kept looking for a phone with hugh screen, like the HTC Athena with 5 inch screen, but find that it is still too small. I use that a lot for reading and browing, in front of TV, on bed, in toilet, while out. My Athena was also clunky and short in battery life.

Now, the perfect solution has finally emerge.

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:43 AM
Christ, they just pinch zoomed out an image of an iPod touch, made a huuuuuuuuuuge bezel and made new apps for the same OS. It'd be a game changer if it was intuitive. It's the opposite, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed that they released this as a better option to netbooks.

I think the bezel is to accommodate the thumb in any orientation so that it doesn't hide the screen.

I think you should try it before writing it off. Apple knows what it's doing.

resonance
28th January 2010, 10:46 AM
i would have preferred an open version of OSX. much like any mac we buy, with the ability to download anything we want. i think the closed OS (ipod/iphone) is too restrictive. But if this product has a large market base, then you can bet that the apps will be plentiful.

This is probably the only major thing that bothers me.
But It just creates a nice little community around hacking/jailbreaking the devices.

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 10:47 AM

Cheers
Steffen.

It fits in between an iPhone an a Mac. It's for those moments when you wish to browse the web or read a book in comfort. The iPad has a large screen to view books and websites without pinching and zooming numerous times. I also can see it becoming a multimedia device with apps for creating multimedia content and publishing.

Apple have seen this market and gone with it. Many people be oblivious to this market and that's also why people are so negative about the iPad as it doesn't make any sense to them.

coljac
28th January 2010, 10:54 AM
This is probably the only major thing that bothers me.
But It just creates a nice little community around hacking/jailbreaking the devices.

Me too. I'm not excited by the iPad for a few reasons, but what I hate is that it's so locked up - App store only apps, DRMed iBooks. An ominous encroachment of closed environments into a PC-sized device.

mjankor
28th January 2010, 10:55 AM
My first thought, on seeing it, was 'Meh'.

Now that I've had a think about it, watched the video, looked at the software available, etc I'm beginning to see how it might work.

I think the iPad (crap name imo) is a sleeper. It's going to start slow and grow as people find more uses for it.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:55 AM
Many have commented that it should run the Mac OS. This is understandable for those of you who are already a Mac user. For the vast majority of iPhone users however, it makes more sense if it runs the iPhone OS. I for one, would be terribly disappointed if it is not the iPhone OS. Somehow I have not been able to feel enthusiastic about using Mac OS yet, so still a Window PC user.

I think trying to stuff in a desktop OS into netbook or tablet must be one of the reasons why this market segment never took off. The OS are simply not designed for small screen and gestures like iPhone OS is. Running desktop OS would also consumes a lot more battery, another critical factor for the success of such a product.

Do people with an UMPC completely do away with their desktop PC? The answer if of course no. UMPC allows you to use the device in front of TV, on bed, in the toilet, etc, but it should not replace your desktop. By the same token, I see myself using iPad a lot, but would still require either a notebook or desktop. They fulfill different roles although there could be some overlaps.

sirmudkip
28th January 2010, 10:58 AM
I think the bezel is to accommodate the thumb in any orientation so that it doesn't hide the screen.

I think you should try it before writing it off. Apple knows what it's doing.

But what happens when you want to play a game that involves 2 D-Pads?

Phunky
Would have been nice to have an IR transmitter, so that it can be used as a universal remote in front of the tv

mallo
a larger screen really doesnt bother me.

My iphone is great because it combines a whole bunch of devices.

1. Personal Media Player.
2. Games.
3. Great/Intuitive Web Browser.
4. Basic point and shoot camera that i always have on me.
5. Various other things that my multitude of apps cover off.

The great thing about my iphone is that its all of the above, I can carry 1 device, and it covers all of that off.

Sure a bigger screen on an ipad would be nice if i was doing some heavy reading, but its not anywhere near a big enough game changer to make me want to use it over my iphone, or even as an addition to my iphone.

I have no interest in having ANOTHER device if it doesn't simplify my life in someway. this just seems to add to clutter.

Disclaimer: I'll most probably still buy one 'just cos'.

mallo
28th January 2010, 11:00 AM
Would have been nice to have an IR transmitter, so that it can be used as a universal remote in front of the tv

would rather my iphone had that before the ipad.

iphone is always in your pocket, so always with you, ready to use as your universal remote if need be.

but your ipad might be left next to your bed, or in the car, in your bag etc...

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 11:03 AM
Makes more sense to have IR on the iPhone, I agree.

soulman
28th January 2010, 11:06 AM
Fits perfectly into my requirements - I want something to play with while the ads are on on commercial TV. The lappies I have access to - 15" MBP or PB - are far too bulky for that and I didn't feel like dropping $2k on an MBA. The iPhone is OK, but too small really. iPad should be just right.

visional_studios
28th January 2010, 12:06 PM
Say you're in the toilet at home. Would you prefer to browse the net, read the GoogleReader etc with an iPhone's tiny screen or with something bigger? I don't imagine anyone who lug in a notebook into the toilet.

I hope you're being sarcastic (I can't tell), if not - that's just gross.

Where do you put your hands in the toilet? Then you're going to wipe them all over your shiny iPad?

MrJesseRoss
28th January 2010, 12:13 PM

Where do you put your hands in the toilet? Then you're going to wipe them all over your shiny iPad?

You're the gross one, putting your hands in the toilet... ;)

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 12:14 PM

No it is not gross. Don't you bring books, newspaper or megazines into the toilet? Do you wipe your whateiver on your books, newspaper or megazines? Don't tell me you don't use your iPhone in the toilet now.

visional_studios
28th January 2010, 12:17 PM
No it is not gross. Don't you bring books, newspaper or megazines into the toilet? Do you wipe your whateiver on your books, newspaper or megazines? Don't tell me you don't use your iPhone in the toilet now.

I've never ever taken my iPhone into the toilet with me with intention of using it.

I don't bring anything else in with me at all actually. In and out. I'd much rather be somewhere that isn't the toilet to read etc.

Anyway, getting way off topic...

toholio
28th January 2010, 12:19 PM

True.

It'd be even nicer if more devices had network connectivity. I can use my iPhone as a remote for the AppleTV and MythTV boxes but can't turn the TV on without a single purpose remote.

BiRDBRAiN
28th January 2010, 12:20 PM
I think with the right interface, this would make the games quite good.

What Apple have achieved is a device with even more overlap in uses than the iPhone.

nuff said!

bartron
28th January 2010, 12:21 PM

Is a megazine just like a magazine but bigger?

An who are these people with free time to spend with their arse suspended over a hole reading mags and the internet? Go in, take a dump and leave (unless you're in there for "special" internet or mags).

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 12:23 PM
If the toilet example does not go down well with you, think about using it on couch, on bed, out in your backyard, or whatever. I think you know what i mean.

dopus
28th January 2010, 12:32 PM
because it doesn't come with wings.

As it is the iPad, maybe it will whisper with wings :-)

mab
28th January 2010, 12:33 PM
gizmodo (http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad)seems to sum it up

soulman
28th January 2010, 12:35 PM
Do you wipe your whateiver on your books, newspaper or megazines? Don't tell me you don't use your iPhone in the toilet now.I think you'll find that most people use toilet paper these days. I don't tend to got a lot of anything on my hands when I'm in the can. Takes practice though...

Alec Fraser
28th January 2010, 12:56 PM
...the revolutionary device...

Can I ask what specifically about the iPad is revolutionary? It's an iPod touch with a bigger screen and optional 3G data. Yes, the iPhone was revolutionary. The iPod touch wasn't and neither is the iPad...it's a new form factor for an existing platform.

Just because Apple says it's "magical and revolutionary" doesn't actually make it so.

foovo
28th January 2010, 01:07 PM
Reminds me of the old Peggy Lee Song "Is that all there is?"

Doesn't replace the iPhone.

If you have a 13" MacBook already, there seems to be no compelling reason.
Because of our publishing laws, the range of books will be severely limited.

gillquad
28th January 2010, 01:12 PM
"Imagine being able to page through websites, write an email, flick through photos, or watch a movie"

Your iPhone does all of that on the go too... but this one does it bigger?

Having said that, It does look pretty cool and I would love something larger to browse the internet on while I'm pretending to be on the toilet at work... lugging a laptop into a construction site toilet does look awfully suspect.

I can definitely see a market for this, but its not for me.

azultrahur
28th January 2010, 01:18 PM
The critical shortcoming of this device is the lack of multi-tasking. I'm in research, so for this to beus perfect laptop replacement I would need to be able to read PDFs, enter data, manipulate graphs, use a calculator and timer functions. None of these actions are really CPU intensive, but fast switching between programs is essential. So, I'll wait until battery time catches up and the device has time to evolve.

TheKeddi
28th January 2010, 01:21 PM
Perfect for me. I will use it in the car as we travel loads each week.
In bed as I love to read my books and check mactalk and such
in the lounge whilst watching tv.

I have a 13" MacBook and find it too awquard to use in most of these situations.

And I hate reading books on the iPhone as it's just too small.

Thanks for letting me know that it's a world wide release too!

Like I keep saying, it's not for everyone but that's no reason to get all whiney and sooky because it's not what you wanted.

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 01:33 PM

Heheh. It's a good thing you don't know me then. I've been known to take my laptop with me to the loo so I can have a mind dump at the same time as a bum dump :)

The Fluffy Duck
28th January 2010, 02:10 PM
I didnt expect it do be magical. I was after the humble task of writing down notes with a stylus for uni.

Not minority report style interface that will bring world peace and chocolates.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 02:11 PM
Heheh. It's a good thing you don't know me then. I've been known to take my laptop with me to the loo so I can have a mind dump at the same time as a bum dump :)

Okay, you currently use your laptop in such situations. But would you not prefer to use iPad instead?

As Steve Jobs said, these are the things that you can do with either the laptop or iPhone, no argument with that. The thing is it will be done in a much much better way, giving far more satisfying user experience with iPad in such situations.

davemc
28th January 2010, 02:17 PM
If ipad was $400-$500 OZ then maybe, although you can get a lot of netbooks that can run OSX for cheaper. $300 gets you a non touch netbook easily.

Safari mobile does have open in new window, although at the moment I have 6 tabs open from mactalk, 3 from gizmodo and ebay. I can easily point and click on what I want to read next, not scroll across. Doing it in mobile safari always bugs me, no flash really bugs me with my iphone.

So maybe those with a desktop mac and iphone might get one for web surfing.
A lot of us have a desktop, macbook and iphone. So what do you do sell you more powerful macbook.:confused:
Still maybe interested wait for ipad 2.0

Also is that a mono speaker again? you think this large you could go stereo

Also wonder if mail is limited to last 200 messages?

caesarlike
28th January 2010, 02:26 PM
The question I have is about my existing content, music, movies, and pdf books. I assume I can use my movies and music same as with the Touch, but what about my PDF books? If I cannot add my existing content, then why would I want this?

Lutze
28th January 2010, 02:32 PM
To those of you saying about it missing and SD card slot... have you even looked at the iPad spec site (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)?

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 02:34 PM
The question I have is about my existing content, music, movies, and pdf books. I assume I can use my movies and music same as with the Touch, but what about my PDF books? If I cannot add my existing content, then why would I want this?

I think once we sync it with iTune, these will come over to iPad automatically. I too have lots of such documnets, and never had problem bringing them from my 3G to 3GS. I don't see why it would be different with iPad.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 02:35 PM
To those of you saying about it missing and SD card slot... have you even looked at the iPad spec site (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)?

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

I believe the complaint was that it requires an accessory rather than being built into iPad itself.

Exocet
28th January 2010, 02:54 PM
I believe the complaint was that it requires an accessory rather than being built into iPad itself.

And what of the people who don't want or need an SD card? Should they be forced to have one on there?

mallo
28th January 2010, 03:31 PM
And what of the people who don't want or need an SD card? Should they be forced to have one on there?

well thats poor logic is it not?

it could be easily concealed when not in use, could have a "fake" aluminum SD card in the hole that is removed by pushing in, and a spring loaded thing releases, or something similar.

is similar to saying "i don't want to use my iPad for music at all, so why are you forcing me to have a 3.5mm headphone jack on it"

melbmac
28th January 2010, 03:47 PM
I hate it because they keynote is up on the site but not available for download though iTunes yet...

feeze
28th January 2010, 03:49 PM
USB, SD slots etc cost money. Which may seem petty, but over millions and millions of products is a lot of money.

As a company Apple does like healthy profit margins and the iPad is relatively cheap for an Apple product. Who knows how much money they spent in R & D. The costs had to be saved somewhere and it looks like SD and USB got the snip.

Petty, but obviously Apple feels that the omission of such devices wont effect sales. Time will tell.

Japester
28th January 2010, 03:50 PM
USB, SD slots etc cost money. Which may seem petty, but over millions and millions of products is a lot of money.

As a company Apple does like healthy profit margins and the iPad is relatively cheap for an Apple product. Who knows how much money they spent in R & D. The costs had to be save somewhere.

Petty, but obviously Apple feels that the omission of such devices wont effect sales. Time will tell.

The majority of users would probably never use it, so it's justified.

~Coxy
28th January 2010, 04:17 PM
The majority of users would never use it because it's so crippled as to only have one function, getting photos off the camera and onto your glorified 10" digital photo viewer.

konni
28th January 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm a bit disappointed. I've waited soooo long for this and I'm not content to just "see it through the eyes" of the kids that want this groovy new toy. Bitchin' - if that's what it is - won't change the current fact of the thing BUT it doesn't hurt to dream outside the box.

Name of thread?

So as I said, I am bit disappointed. Little bit. It's not as though the thing couldn't have been delivered with some real balls. Assuming that it feels like it looks then it is a good size (perfect for my needs) and it has reasonable baseline capacity. But isn't it just an iPod/iPhone that doesn't fit in your pocket (indeed!!) ... why oh why stop there?

My first thought was there should be a compact keyboard dock ... oh! there is!

Well then all the iPad or keyboard needs is a USB port and the ability to run apps that I already own. No dammit. I don't want a laptop. I want a slick little etch-i-sketch iPad that really is a "pad" - sketchpad. So it needs a stylus. I'm not too bad at drawing with my finger on the foggy shower screen however I have very much adapted over the years to sketching best with a pen.

So there it is. I'm more likely to buy an iPad over an iPod or iPhone (which I haven't bothered with)... but I'm not jumping for it.

Nisstrust
28th January 2010, 04:42 PM
boo hoo.... cry me a river, everyone seems to cry and whine over what a new product should or should not have.. look through every other past thread when the iphone was announced and when it came out, there were so many people that said they would never get one, complaining about how apple have done a crap job on it, how can they expect to compete with nokia or motorola, it will never take off, its too expensive, what happened to a key pad, it wont sell and people will stick to what they are use too.. and then who ended up buying one, the same people that whinged about it in due time. Look at the iphones market share it has now. Similar deal with the iPad, get over it.. heheh :)

Phunky
28th January 2010, 04:44 PM
They said the air wouldnt be that popluar as well

yinyang
28th January 2010, 04:57 PM
i think museums maybe quite interested in using these as guide books (some already use iPod touches for this, and others use normal iPods), and for universities, the options of having your book list downloaded instead of having to buy physical books must be quite appealing.

and surely one of the airlines will start handing these out instead of kitting their planes out with built in TV screens and the high cost of maintaining those.

there are probbably quite a lot of commercial uses for the iPad due to the 'improved' size.

just my two cents worth ;)

Meh 626
28th January 2010, 05:05 PM
i think museums maybe quite interested in using these as guide books (some already use iPod touches for this, and others use normal iPods), and for universities, the options of having your book list downloaded instead of having to buy physical books must be quite appealing.

and surely one of the airlines will start handing these out instead of kitting their planes out with built in TV screens and the high cost of maintaining those.

there are probbably quite a lot of commercial uses for the iPad due to the 'improved' size.

Yes, there are quite a number of situations you could use a iPad in. You just have to think creatively. Eg; restaurants could use them in a ordering system, business could use them for in-wall information centres, couriers could use them for parcel signing, doctors could use them in hospitals to keep track of their patients. The list goes on, in about six months time we will see very innovative and creative ways of using the iPad.

yinyang
28th January 2010, 06:15 PM
if I do get one, it'll be for the kids to use, and that's more for encouraging them to read more, but that does rely on iBooks be available, or at least being able to buy Kindle books from Amazon. they'd also be able to surf, though the lack of flash means no Runescape for my son, but he has my old PowerBook for that anyway.

Wonder if the Home sharing on iTunes is going to work the same way on the iPad, but as an independent iTunes? That would be cool then.....

remhh
28th January 2010, 06:40 PM
I for one do like the IPAD concept, but just looking at the specs and forgive me if it has already been discussed, but it seems to be locked down like the ipods/iphones/apple tv and will not run DIVX files.

Rant
28th January 2010, 07:11 PM
What's not to like? Well quite a lot actually. +1 the afore mentioned Gizmodo pad-slam. I should have realised there was something wrong when they had to leak that Steve was really happy with it. Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwch!

Top of the list-
Camera. If you're really thinking of selling this to non-computer users, the #1 app is Skype video calls to the family. Maybe Skype will recognise a bluetooth Camera (just another US$150). What are the odds??

Name - sorry but that just ain't good enough. My hope is that the media adopts a feminine product monica and uses it ad nauseam until Apple changes it. Seriously. iMaxi seems to be the American consensus and I support this action.

You could make some argument that the name was chosen specifically to market to women (let me apologise up front for drawing the finer gender into unfavourable comparisons all 'round here), except for the next negative…

Looks - this thing had better look nicer in the flesh or Apple won't get anyone to even touch it, much less buy it. This thing is ugly, butt ugly bordering on fugly. No woman is going to slip this into their purse, no matter what Apple calls it.

The rumour was that this got held up because of the screen. On the basis of what we've seen so far, I believe it should have been held up another 6 months.

Screen - right up there with looks, is the screen - 1024x768 is 4:3! Actually worse than iPhone's ratio (480x320 is 3:2 and moderately widescreen). NOBODY is going to be watching videos on this lemon.

Keyboard - As someone who's dreamed of iPhone working with a Bluetooth keyboard, I never thought I'd be saying an external keyboard would be bad for the iMaxi !! That Apple is marketing a keyboard up-front is an admission that they couldn't do the on-screen keyboard properly. Again, that's bad. It's like admitting we'd be better off with a 7" EeePC. I can't see how it can run Pages, Numbers or Keynote - any wonder they made an external keyboard

There's more, but those are the biggies I think we should all bear in mind.

This launch has all the hallmarks of being rushed. I'm waiting for Rev 2. This is bad. (What's an 11" widescreen Eee PC cost?)

And I think it's going to be a bad year for Apple. iPhone is starting to look 10 years out of date next to some of the new phones (not least of which the multitasking Nexus One) and by the looks of the iMaxi, Apple hasn't realised they're looking dated. If the next iPhone looks like the current one and the iMaxi, Apple is going to have a really bad year.

shorts
28th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Ill never understand this! Theres so many websites out there that contain flash content. Does anybody have any good links/articles that explain why and if its ever going to happen?

Steve even proved it in his presentation at the keynote with the missing plugin icon when he was browsing the New York Times site.

Ive been using an iPhone for a couple of years now and the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of flash support.

On the other hand, after watching the keynote I think Id find it really usefull. I don't have a laptop but have a need for a mobile internet device when Im doing other stuff around the house. Sometimes I see stuff on TV that I'm interested in and want to look it up on the web. I end up scrambling back to my room (where my main computer is) and looking it up then and missing the rest of the show that Im watching. (Unless I turn on EyeTV in my room)

I hate it until Apple finds a way to get flash on it. Somehow I dont think flash content is going to die at this stage...

shorts
28th January 2010, 07:37 PM
I for one do like the IPAD concept, but just looking at the specs and forgive me if it has already been discussed, but it seems to be locked down like the ipods/iphones/apple tv and will not run DIVX files.

Good point. Maybe there will be some iPad hackery that will fix this? Sorta like what certain communities have done with the AppleTV?

Japester
28th January 2010, 07:41 PM
Ill never understand this! Theres so many websites out there that contain flash content. Does anybody have any good links/articles that explain why and if its ever going to happen?

Steve even proved it in his presentation at the keynote with the missing plugin icon when he was browsing the New York Times site.

Ive been using an iPhone for a couple of years now and the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of flash support.

On the other hand, after watching the keynote I think Id find it really usefull. I don't have a laptop but have a need for a mobile internet device when Im doing other stuff around the house. Sometimes I see stuff on TV that I'm interested in and want to look it up on the web. I end up scrambling back to my room (where my main computer is) and looking it up then and missing the rest of the show that Im watching. (Unless I turn on EyeTV in my room)

I hate it until Apple finds a way to get flash on it. Somehow I dont think flash content is going to die at this stage...

Gruber nails it (http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash).

TheKeddi
28th January 2010, 07:55 PM
I don't care about flash or divix, all my stuff is coded for iTunes and is done as soon as it's on my computer, how much could you possibly want to put on there that you can't re-encode? I do all mine overnight if I have to.

All the complaints, wow,

Ugly? How does the Aluminium macbook look? this just looks like the screen with no keyboard,

It doesn't have a camera, it doesn't have this or that, stop ya bitchin ya babies, if you don't like it then no one is making you buy it!

I am astounded at how many sookie la laa's there are around the place.

Japester
28th January 2010, 08:00 PM
I don't care about flash or divix, all my stuff is coded for iTunes and is done as soon as it's on my computer, how much could you possibly want to put on there that you can't re-encode? I do all mine overnight if I have to.

All the complaints, wow,

Ugly? How does the Aluminium macbook look? this just looks like the screen with no keyboard,

It doesn't have a camera, it doesn't have this or that, stop ya bitchin ya babies, if you don't like it then no one is making you buy it!

I like your style. I feel like I've been fighting complaints all day.

I think this will be much like the iPod. People can't see the market, don't get the device. They don't know they they need this yet. In a year, it will seem second nature.

amstrad_mac
28th January 2010, 08:14 PM
This could easily be the next gen MacBook air if it has the osx os. At least a better name...

brian_g
28th January 2010, 08:46 PM
I spent over 10 years travelling to and from the city for work, about an hour each way - maybe more given ShityRail service.

Seriously - I would have given my right nut to have had an iPad then. The ability to read any newspaper with having to try and fold the broadsheets, the ability to read a book, play solitaire - to do SOMETHING to pass that time! I have shelves full of books, magazines etc that I read in those 10 years and and will probably never read again.

If I was a commuter still I would be buying one the first day. You can't read a notebook or netbook while standing on one of ShityRail's Tangarbage trains. The iPhone you can, but its still pretty small. This is PERFECT.

Yeah, a Kindle would do that. But nothing else. I could check email. Play Flight Control. Or any of the other 100,000 apps.

My kids watched the short video this morning on the web - my son's eyes lit up and now his EeePC isn't so great after all. Nice carrot to dangle on the first day of school - do well this year and we'll see about upgrading to an iPad...

6andy6
28th January 2010, 08:58 PM
The majority of users would probably never use it, so it's justified.

Blinks eyes at some of the comments like this. Really beg to differ.

brian_g
28th January 2010, 09:01 PM
though the lack of flash means no Runescape for my son
You say that like its a bad thing.... :-P

I ended up blocking Runescape with Parental Controls because homework etc never got done.

macrob69
28th January 2010, 09:01 PM

All the complaints, wow,

I hear you!

When the iPhone was launched all I heard for a while was:

"Meh";
"Fail";
"So what";
"The 10 things the iPhone lacks"; and
"Style over substance".

What they missed was the game-changing potential of the phone.

I recognize in the iPad something gorgeous and beautiful; powerful - and capable of extraordinary growth and re-invention.

Sure, I will delight in a model with multitasking, camera and GPS.

I will also relish the now.

I will be in the cue for an iPad - for all the potential; for the fun; for the passion.

Geoff3DMN
28th January 2010, 09:04 PM
Blinks eyes at some of the comments like this. Really beg to differ.

Maybe a majority of MacBook Pro users would use an SD slot.
Maybe a significant minority of MacBook users would use an SD slot.

I strongly doubt that a large proportion of the target audience for the iPad would be interested in an SD slot (seriously).

Mums and Dads aren't going to be taking the SD card out of the camera that the store 'fitted', they're going to use the USB cable that came with the camera and the camera dock connect kit that Apple supply because it's simpler.

No not cheaper... simpler.

6andy6
28th January 2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe a majority of MacBook Pro users would use an SD slot.
Maybe a significant minority of MacBook users would use an SD slot..

My fault for not making myself clearer. My point was the simple dismissal of some of the points some people point out on here and some (or one) person/peoples amazing belief that we should be grateful for a $900 'book reader and movie player' ad nauseum.

I like the machine. It looks good, it has great potential but its an expensive toy for what it does - end of story. Its a 'rush to market all the hall marks of what was missed on the first iphone but lets gouge the market next time for upgrades and add what should have been on the first version' tablet - after all the experiences of similar items before them.

That is the point...and yes a direct USB connection would have been handy for a lot of people with external hard drives and other appliances without the faff of hooking up adaptors and more wires to carry. As would a camera. This is neither hard nor rock science. I don't think we expected a powerful MBP (given the price difference) but I think we also expected a bit more than what we got.
Thats what most of the complaints are about.

macrob69
28th January 2010, 09:23 PM
My fault for not making myself clearer. My point was the simple dismissal of some of the points some people point out on here and some (or one) person/peoples amazing belief that we should be grateful for a $900 'book reader and movie player' ad nauseum.

I don't think we expected a powerful MBP (given the price difference) but I think we also expected a bit more than what we got.
Thats what most of the complaints are about.

Satisfaction = Reality less Expectations

konni
28th January 2010, 10:52 PM
oh it's wicked this debate! The niche usage points coming to the fore are trying hard... airlines using them for passenger entertainment? You think?
If you have a spare $600+ you can pop it in your manbag/handbag to read the news - on the way to work. Given the huge success of iPhone in the market I'm sure there will be enough sales of iPad to make it a success by some definitions.

I can't get past the point though that it's lacking a leap forward. If you were hoping for something more multi-functional - travellers delight, rough-it-ready - we're still waiting.

Rant - I agree it's ugly. iPhone for it's size and purpose is a nice looking package. Who is the market? Manbag/Handbag? It's a bit like the sequel to groundbreaking movie - more of the same. There is nothing wrong with demanding a better product, or raising your expectations. If you give us functionality we will use it. Developer's could start making some serious applications even. I mean... have a look at the "100 best iPhone apps". Bring on the iPad Pro and call it "iCanCreate".

yagankiely
28th January 2010, 11:07 PM
This thread is full of lol.

Starting a uni course and this will hopefully fill some void.

MBP = semi-portable desktop.
iPad = Completely Portable device.
iPhone = everything else.

I can't type on netbooks, they are slow and inaccurate - not sure how the iPad will be obviously. The MBP is not really that portable, no laptops are. You can't casually take them out of your bag and start using them, you need a seat at the very least.

I've always wanted an eBook reader but they are all crippled with absolutely no features. Paying a little bit extra for the features of the iPad would be great.

I don't care about a camera (who actually uses Camera Calls anyway?? :S).

If I ever really need an SD/USB slot I'll use that accessory. Currently I'm happy with an adapter for my MBP, why is one for the iPad any more bothersome? Anyway, we STILL don't actually know if there is actually any room for it.

iPad is stupid agreed. We'll get over it though.

I've never cared about multitasking. Makes the unit simpler and easier to use. More secure too, I remember someone in the Australian Police recommending an iPhone for that specific reason - doing banking on this is safer than on OSX.

My god 16/9 would be an ugly shaped tablet.

WTF? It's ugly? I did lol at this.

The only foreseeable problem with it is with Australian laws. Either the iPad cripples these stupid laws, or these stupid laws cripple the iPad.

yinyang
28th January 2010, 11:51 PM
oh it's wicked this debate! The niche usage points coming to the fore are trying hard... airlines using them for passenger entertainment? You think?

costs about $2 - 5 million to kit out a plane with an inflight entertainment system, so for argument sakes lets says it's an A380 with 500 seats, at the lowest price. Makes it $4000 per seat. Lot more than even a top of the range wifi only version. Since the form factor is now pretty much what a lot of airlines offer size wise, it's a 'reasonable' assumption that someone is going to think "hey that's a good idea - let's look into it". Is it anymore niche than businesses using iPhones as POS and EFTPOS terminals?

IndigoReef
29th January 2010, 12:09 AM
I spent over 10 years travelling to and from the city for work, about an hour each way - maybe more given ShityRail service.

Seriously - I would have given my right nut to have had an iPad then. The ability to read any newspaper with having to try and fold the broadsheets, the ability to read a book, play solitaire - to do SOMETHING to pass that time! I have shelves full of books, magazines etc that I read in those 10 years and and will probably never read again.

If I was a commuter still I would be buying one the first day. You can't read a notebook or netbook while standing on one of ShityRail's Tangarbage trains. The iPhone you can, but its still pretty small. This is PERFECT.

Yeah, a Kindle would do that. But nothing else. I could check email. Play Flight Control. Or any of the other 100,000 apps.

My kids watched the short video this morning on the web - my son's eyes lit up and now his EeePC isn't so great after all. Nice carrot to dangle on the first day of school - do well this year and we'll see about upgrading to an iPad...

Brian has nailed it, the market for this thing is huge.
I for one was really hoping for an SD card slot, however perhaps EyeFi cards will work. I take heaps of photos and it would be cool to have a 10 inch display for critical focus etc.
I have two Apple laptops at home, one is used mainly for web browsing, I will sell it to get this iPad.
I can now also ditch the iPod touch I use to control my Apple TV, check Twitter, weather and e-mail. I also don't have to now go to my larger screens to see things I can't see properly on the iPod Touch/iPhone.

There are a multitude of markets out there this thing is perfect for.
As a Photographer I have my portfolio with me all the time, perhaps real estate agents would use it when selling property.

There will also now be a lot more apps designed for this iPad, apps where people might have not bothered before because the screen of the iPod Touch/iPhone just wasn't big enough.

Think of it as a possible interface for your computer, touch controls, keyboard all from the comfort of your iPad on your lap.

One last thing, I hate lying in bed trying to read a book, torch in hand trying to hold the pages from blowing in the fan, the books get heavy over time. This just looks to me to be a cracker of a product that will hit a real sweet spot.

yagankiely
29th January 2010, 12:27 AM
One last thing, I hate lying in bed trying to read a book, torch in hand trying to hold the pages from blowing in the fan, the books get heavy over time.At .71kgs for the 3G, it's hardly light.

IndigoReef
29th January 2010, 12:42 AM
I agree it's not light, but it's less cumbersome, I won't have to search for the bookmark I put somewhere in the bed, and if I get sick of reading my book and want to check the news, sports, you name it I don't have to move and won't wake my sleeping pregnant wife. And if our 2 year old wakes early and wants to watch a DVD when she crashes into our room I can chuck on a movie, she can play a game, like what she does with the iPod Touch and I might just be able to get another 10 mins sleep without having to get up.
I don't think she is going to care about multi-tasking, a camera an SD slot or even the dimensions 1024x768.
Perhaps this is not target market, but it shows a versatility of a product not pigeon holed as certain device.

:)

yagankiely
29th January 2010, 01:05 AM
I'd definitely agree with that.

I don't think she is going to care about multi-tasking, a camera an SD slot or even the dimensions 1024x768. I know I don't.

incanspyder
29th January 2010, 05:04 AM
My outrage, among others, lies in wondering how much Apple intends to milk this iPhone concept of theirs. It's like.. hmm, the iPhone was a huge success, lets just create a billion products based on it and no different to it, market them as something fantastic, and milk money from our loyal fanbase who are so blind they'll buy it without question. i mean ffs, they could have at least given it a new hardware design inside of blatantly just stretching the iphone design, and not fucked around by locking down the OS in the form of iPhone OS instead of a modification of OS X. Yay, lets market the fuck out of a product that runs iPhone apps, looks like an iPhone, feels like an iPhone, yet just has a uh, bigger screen. right... at least have the decency to create a new product.

TheKeddi
29th January 2010, 07:50 AM
Who will buy this?

I have had loads of my friends contact me about it, ones that would not have bought any other mac.

They are all waiting impatiently for it to be released, those are the people that will buy this, including mac people.

It's another Apple Halo effect product, this will be like the iPhone, people will want macs aftr getting these.

scar68
29th January 2010, 08:10 AM
My outrage, among others, lies in wondering how much Apple............

Outrage, wow really, outrage? You know there are wars on, Myki, people dying, babies being born, whales being slaughtered...........

Apple announced an event held yesterday. It was others that turned this into the second coming or some other Earth shattering event.

dotnet
29th January 2010, 12:37 PM
Outrage, wow really, outrage? You know there are wars on, Myki, people dying, babies being born, whales being slaughtered

In order of outrageousness?
;)

Cheers
Steffen.

The Fluffy Duck
29th January 2010, 01:04 PM
ITs pretty media whore and little more. I have enough devices that play media thank you. I want something I can be productive on. This limps in with a cut down version of iwork you cant even print from. *yawn*

Steve says the middle device needed to do certain tasks better. No Steve the device needed to do tasks neither could do.

yinyang
18th May 2010, 12:29 AM

costs about $2 - 5 million to kit out a plane with an inflight entertainment system, so for argument sakes lets says it's an A380 with 500 seats, at the lowest price. Makes it $4000 per seat. Lot more than even a top of the range wifi only version. Since the form factor is now pretty much what a lot of airlines offer size wise, it's a 'reasonable' assumption that someone is going to think "hey that's a good idea - let's look into it". Is it anymore niche than businesses using iPhones as POS and EFTPOS terminals?

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but that crystal ball I picked up in Vinnies really does work....!!

iPad takes to the skies with Bluebox Ai this July -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/17/ipad-takes-to-the-skies-with-bluebox-ai-this-july/)

:cool: