PDA

View Full Version : Apple's new A4 chip.

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 06:20 AM
Think maybe the iPad will eventually be available in a larger size - A4 perhaps?

bljpoad
28th January 2010, 07:13 AM
I don't know. I am more interested in the A4 chip itself, what its capabilities are, what its architecture is, can anything else run on it, etc..

Anyone know any details about the chip itself?
- Berwyck

cosmichobo
28th January 2010, 07:20 AM
And - Is this the start of Apple moving away from Intel or any other external chip maker?!

Will Brains finally agree to buy a modern Mac? ;)

melbmac
28th January 2010, 08:18 AM
Yeah, the chip is the one thing that really has me interested, all the rest was fairly predictable...

WonderBoy
28th January 2010, 08:21 AM
I highly doubt this signals a move for Apple to abandon the Intel CPU in their Macs. I haven't done any research but my guess at this point is that this is a chip Apple acquired when they bought another chip manufacturer a couple of years back. It's a low powered chip perfect for portable devices. Perhaps it will find it's way into the iPhone/iPod at some point in the future though.

Comet
28th January 2010, 08:22 AM
And - Is this the start of Apple moving away from Intel or any other external chip maker?!

Highly doubt that. Designing a chip costs a lot of money, especially when Apple doesn't have their own fabrication plant. Mobile device chips are less complex than those used in the other machines running os x. I am a bit worried about the 1st gen iPads due to this A4 chip since there is a high probability of having issues with the first batches of a new chip design.

davidw89
28th January 2010, 09:39 AM
There's no solid information on a detailed review of the A4 apple chip, compared to say the ARM A9 Cortex.

bljpoad
28th January 2010, 09:46 AM
There's no solid information on a detailed review of the A4 apple chip, compared to say the ARM A9 Cortex.

See, thats the sort of thing I want to read! All in good time I guess :)

soulman
28th January 2010, 10:43 AM
Think maybe the iPad will eventually be available in a larger size - A4 perhaps?Except that the seppos don't use ISO paper sizes, so they would more likely release a US Letter sized one if they decided to make something larger. I think it's a coincidence.

mjankor
28th January 2010, 11:05 AM
Didn't Apple buy PA Semi a few years back. That's where the A4 has come from.

Byrd
28th January 2010, 11:10 AM
Didn't Apple buy PA Semi a few years back. That's where the A4 has come from.

Yeah, and it's a variant of the ARM processor (which can rival some ultra-low-voltage Intel cores in terms of raw performance); not that outlandish really.

I'd be interested to see how it performs and multitasks eg. games, iTunes, etc.

JB

muhamadoikubaru
28th January 2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, and it's a variant of the ARM processor (which can rival some ultra-low-voltage Intel cores in terms of raw performance); not that outlandish really.

I'd be interested to see how it performs and multitasks eg. games, iTunes, etc.

JB

So it can multitask? Please say it can multitask... Is there a link?

Byrd
28th January 2010, 11:27 AM
I'm probably wrong, but hard to say if it does multitask - but with a dock down below ... possibly? But probably not.

JB

muhamadoikubaru
28th January 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm probably wrong, but hard to say if it does multitask - but with a dock down below ... possibly? But probably not.

JB

Thanks anyway. I guess time will tell :)