PDA

View Full Version : Watch the Video. Might Change your mind.

mitty
28th January 2010, 06:15 AM
Hm.... Frak you Apple. I was umming and ahing until I watched the video on the Apple Website. It really does look awesome. The only thing stopping me is the locked downness of it. Plus I have a Macbook that I'm typing to you on it now so it would really be a toy. Oh, and I seem to recall some other device I own... what was it again?... ah, yeah... the iphone? :D

Gerbils
28th January 2010, 06:17 AM
Agree... even if the video is over the top, it convinced me that it's an amazing device!

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:18 AM
"I don't have to change myself to fit the product, it fits me."
So awesome.

Back2Bedlam
28th January 2010, 06:31 AM
did you notice the pause, as he said just do... he so wanted to say, just do it!

Still not sold, I don't see where it fit's, it fills the hole a little that the iPhone hasn't, but only because, as they've shown, there is the software to do, just hasn't been brought to the iPhone yet.

There wasn't a gap in Apple's product line, only a media hype that placed on there, with the constant talk of netbooks and tablets. Whilst a beautiful piece of work, it simply doesn't hit the mark. The proof will be seeing how markets react.

asphotos
28th January 2010, 06:55 AM
where is the camera? i like to skype my kids on my computer when im travelling for work.

looks like "I WILL" have to change myself, since my kids cant see me using skype.

f u apple :))

decryption
28th January 2010, 07:37 AM
where is the camera? i like to skype my kids on my computer when im travelling for work.

looks like "I WILL" have to change myself, since my kids cant see me using skype.

Keep using your laptop.
Or wait for a company to make a camera attachment for the iPad that plugs in via the dock connector.

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 07:49 AM

Yeah, a camera built-in to that rather chunky bezel would have made the iPad a handy device for web chats.

Instead you would have to buy the camera connection kit and a web cam; completely breaking the sleek sex appeal of the iPad (very unApple-like). I'm a bit confused by this omission.

Gruntled
28th January 2010, 07:57 AM
I already have a data plan, will I be able to tether to the iPhone? Then I can happily leave the macbook at home and just use this as my portable device during the day.

visional_studios
28th January 2010, 08:08 AM
Just woke up, read all the news, watched a video etc.

What the hell is this thing useful for? Call me ignorant, but it's a giant iPhone. Still can't open more than one app at a time.

But it is shiny, I guess.

decryption
28th January 2010, 08:11 AM

What the hell is this thing useful for? Call me ignorant, but it's a giant iPhone. Still can't open more than one app at a time.

Take a read of this: Apple iPad: the first review | Technology | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/27/apple-ipad-tablet-first-review)

"The big problem I had was in trying to understand what the iPad was for: the answer, it seems, is everything.

It attempts to do almost everything that your laptop can, while also offering almost everything your smartphone can do as well. Surfing the web was a breeze, while it plays video smoothly and handles a variety of games pretty well. You can use any of the existing iPhone applications straight away, though it is disappointing when you realise that they become blocky and almost childlike when expanded to fill the larger screen."

ourfoz
28th January 2010, 08:13 AM
It needs a cam built in for me to buy one. Maybe V2.

drzeus
28th January 2010, 08:20 AM

I'd have to agree. It is BEAUTIFUL, it is FAST it is the BEST TABLET ever made and in a pre-iphone era this thing would be totally revolutionary....BUT I really can't see a big revolution here when it follows in iphone's footsteps....it has almost identical functionality to the iphone with just a much bigger screen. Once again they have crippled its capabilities with no camera, no multitasking and little new in the UI apart from some apps....

The one change here is the ebooks and I can see it selling well to book fans but as a portable computer I can't see it appealing to anyone with a macbook and an iphone. I can already do all it can on my iphone (albeit with smaller screen) so why lug around a giant pad well?

I'm sure everyone here will order one...even an itoilet would get preorders :) I'd like one too....just can't see a need for it at the moment.

visional_studios
28th January 2010, 08:22 AM
Take a read of this: Apple iPad: the first review | Technology | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/27/apple-ipad-tablet-first-review)

"The big problem I had was in trying to understand what the iPad was for: the answer, it seems, is everything.

It attempts to do almost everything that your laptop can, while also offering almost everything your smartphone can do as well. Surfing the web was a breeze, while it plays video smoothly and handles a variety of games pretty well. You can use any of the existing iPhone applications straight away, though it is disappointing when you realise that they become blocky and almost childlike when expanded to fill the larger screen."

The technology is super cool, yes, and it physically looks amazing.

But it still doesn't really say what hole it's trying to fill. I'm not going to carry that thing around for a phone, and seeing that it can't multitask and, really, typing on a physical keyboard is a zillion times better and quicker.
So it's not going to replace my macbook for anything.

The bright screen is going to rape my eyeballs trying to read a novel on one, so it doesn't replace the kindle.

When some games are made to run at its native resolution, it could be an awesome portable gaming device.

I can't see why I would need one at all.

decryption
28th January 2010, 08:23 AM
The technology is super cool, yes, and it physically looks amazing.

But it still doesn't really say what hole it's trying to fill. I'm not going to carry that thing around for a phone, and seeing that it can't multitask and, really, typing on a physical keyboard is a zillion times better and quicker.
So it's not going to replace my macbook for anything.

The bright screen is going to rape my eyeballs trying to read a novel on one, so it doesn't replace the kindle.

When some games are made to run at its native resolution, it could be an awesome portable gaming device.

I can't see why I would need one at all.

You don't need one. Keep rockin' your MBP :)

mallo
28th January 2010, 08:29 AM
my iphone appears to be a more convenient/ergonomic iPad.

emerson
28th January 2010, 08:31 AM
wonder how long till someone releases some iPants with pockets big enough to hold this baby :D

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 08:31 AM
I can't wait to buy it. It fulfill my un-met needs very well. So happy to see it using the quick Phone OS rather than the clunky, slow, and batttery consuming desktop OS. I had always prefer to use my iPhone more than my desktop except for one thing: the screen size. I hope it does not get too hot, which is one of the problems using my notebook on my couch and bed at the moment.

Love the idea of having optional keyboard, which allows heavy duty office documents to be created and maintained.

Like the ease of interface with cameras and SD card. So useful when travelling.

It would be quite a fantastic video camera I guess, being able to record at 720p at 30fps.

Wonder how good is the camera. I suppose it would not be good in poor lighting condition.

Noticed that GPS is only available on the wifi + 3G version.

This is exactly what I have been wanting for years - the perfect computer while watching television, while lying on bed, sitting on couch, and yes, I would bring it with me whenever I'm out in addition to my iPhone.

Aladdin
28th January 2010, 08:36 AM
Exactly. No one *needs* to buy it.

It's amazing how lots of people want it, but then say "but it doesn't have X, Y or Z".

IMO, if the device doesn't perform a useful function for you, then feel free not to buy it.

I'd wait till Anthony compares the iPad and the Kindle for ebook 'readability'. Although I'd buy it so that I don't have to lug my 2kg MBP to work anymore.

visional_studios
28th January 2010, 08:46 AM
You don't need one. Keep rockin' your MBP :)

It appears we're in agreement!

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 08:49 AM
I can't wait to buy it. It fulfill my un-met needs very well. So happy to see it using the quick Phone OS rather than the clunky, slow, and batttery consuming desktop OS. I had always prefer to use my iPhone more than my desktop except for one thing: the screen size. I hope it does not get too hot, which is one of the problems using my notebook on my couch and bed at the moment.

Love the idea of having optional keyboard, which allows heavy duty office documents to be created and maintained.

Like the ease of interface with cameras and SD card. So useful when travelling.

It would be quite a fantastic video camera I guess, being able to record at 720p at 30fps.

Wonder how good is the camera. I suppose it would not be good in poor lighting condition.

Noticed that GPS is only available on the wifi + 3G version.

This is exactly what I have been wanting for years - the perfect computer while watching television, while lying on bed, sitting on couch, and yes, I would bring it with me whenever I'm out in addition to my iPhone.

Where did you read about the camera? As far as I (and a few others who have posted here) can tell there is no camera. Cameras can be connected via the optional Camera Connection Kit.

tangent23
28th January 2010, 08:58 AM
i think people are underestimating the importance of magazines/newspapers on this device

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 08:59 AM
Where did you read about the camera? As far as I (and a few others who have posted here) can tell there is no camera. Cameras can be connected via the optional Camera Connection Kit.

My mistake. There is no camera or video.

bennettnz
28th January 2010, 09:02 AM
I'm sure it is really cool in the flesh and probably hard to resist buying but it really needed a camera in it. I can't understand this omission, also why not an sd slot why do apple always make extra additional bits you have to plug in. Unlike their other amazing devices I'm not sure this one is a sure-fire runaway success... yet. I think there are a lot people that need further convincing. However the right apps could easily do that in the near future.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 09:04 AM
Indeed, a camera and video would be so fantastic.

IN fact, I would love it even more if I can make phone calls with it, using a bluetooth headset of course.

Or perhaps, I'd just make VOIP calls with it.

Mychael
28th January 2010, 09:19 AM
As it develops it could become more. Personally I'd never go e-book but maybe that's a generational thing. I love shopping for cheap paperbacks and being able to toss a book or magazine in my bag for when I get a break at work and can unwind for a bit.. Still far quicker to run into the milkbar pay $1.10 to get a newspaper and then I can use it in the bottom of the bird cage.

I reckon the ipad would be great to take on holidays as an 'all in one' portable entertainment unit and I think it would be good if you were visiting and wanted to show your friends a bunch of new photo's and stuff.

Next gen maybe with a camera for video conference, once telco's got cheaper/faster with more download limits.

Phunky
28th January 2010, 09:30 AM
Doesnt support blu ray :p

Mychael
28th January 2010, 09:36 AM
I did not see any feature to allow it to work as a handwritten note taker, that would have been handy and depending on apps could make it useful around workplace in the field/warehouse etc.

davidw89
28th January 2010, 09:38 AM
The only thing lame is the micro-SIM factor. I do hope TPG offers micro-SIM but it doesn't look like many telco will offer them. But most people already have a contract on their iPhone why buy another contract -_-

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:02 AM
Is it possible to cut our mini size SIM card into micro size ourselves?

Silver
28th January 2010, 11:07 AM
Has anyone worked out the direct URL for the iPad video? I'd like to show it to some people, but my internet access at home is iffy.

melbmac
28th January 2010, 12:13 PM
Has anyone worked out the direct URL for the iPad video? I'd like to show it to some people, but my internet access at home is iffy.

Wondering the same thing.

To be honest, the video didn't change my mind at all really, I just don;t think this is the apple product for me (not to say it;s not a good product).