PDA

View Full Version : Makes The Kindle Look Rather Crude

David Turnedge
28th January 2010, 06:08 AM
And NetBooks... what else is going to die as the iPad takes over?

It is truely an amazing device...

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:11 AM
The Kindle still has a place (cheaper, way longer battery life and much easier to read screen), but the iPad is certainly one beautiful device.

Geoff3DMN
28th January 2010, 06:17 AM
I won't be getting ride of my Kindle, the iPad will be an addition not a replacement.

The ultra long battery life and ability to be read easily in bright sunlight that the e-ink screen has can't (currently) be replicated in a multi colour LCD device.

Gerbils
28th January 2010, 06:18 AM
I've always thought Netbooks are a con. They need to die.

Geoff3DMN
28th January 2010, 06:19 AM
I've always thought Netbooks are a con. They need to die.

Maybe so... but the Kindle isn't a Netbook and I don't think it deserves to die.

It deserves a niche place in the market as a dedicated book reader for heavy readers (like myself).

BLINDER
28th January 2010, 06:30 AM
Having seen a dedicated reader in action I've marveled at the quality of the mono screen. Just the way I want to read things in the future - but if the iPad (awful, awful, awful name) has a screen that comes close then I'd be happy!

toholio
28th January 2010, 06:35 AM
what else is going to die as the iPad takes over?

The iPad will not take over from the Kindle because it still works by shining light into your eyes. That's terrible for prolonged reading.

It'll overshadow it for sure but serious readers aren't going to switch back to LCD.

On the whole, I think it'll help eBook readers. More competition and bigger markets means more book publishers will get with the times and make their catalog available.

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:37 AM
Having seen a dedicated reader in action I've marveled at the quality of the mono screen. Just the way I want to read things in the future - but if the iPad (awful, awful, awful name) has a screen that comes close then I'd be happy!

Look at the screen on a MacBook Pro. It's the same as that.

scritch
28th January 2010, 07:39 AM
Sorry the iPad does nothing I need and very little I want.

I carry both my iPhone & Kindle with me all the time, and as the iPad doesn't replace the iPhone, then I'd be carrying two devices anyway.

As my iPhone does everything I need of a portable device when I am out of the house, and as others have stated the Kindle is a much better reading experience then the iPad has no real place for me.

Now I'm just wondering how long it will take for Apple to withdraw the iPhone Kindle App from the App Store for "duplicating core iPad functionality" ;)

Regards,
Shane.

Dog Knight
28th January 2010, 07:40 AM
I can see this as a great reading device. I have on several occasions, tried to read through PDF eBooks on my iPhone and it becomes a struggle. Something like this would be so good on the train to read ebooks without needing a full laptop on my lap. This is where the benefit would be for me.

scritch
28th January 2010, 07:41 AM
I can see this as a great reading device. I have on several occasions, tried to read through PDF eBooks on my iPhone and it becomes a struggle. Something like this would be so good on the train to read ebooks without needing a full laptop on my lap. This is where the benefit would be for me.

Like the Kindle? That has PDF support?

Regards,
Shane.

samuelowens
28th January 2010, 07:49 AM
Netbooks have two things going for them: they're dirt cheap, and they have physical keyboards.

Hack OSX onto one and you've got a nice, lightweight uni computer for one-quarter the price of a MacBook Air, and half the price of an iPad.

I do agree that they're crude though.

TheKeddi
28th January 2010, 09:33 AM
I would buy this over the kindle any day! I had a kindle and sold it not long ago.

scritch
28th January 2010, 09:43 AM
The iPad is a cut down computer experience with the ability to read books. The Kindle is for people who love to read books and in this the iPad just isn't gonna cut it.

Too expensive & the battery life is crap in comparison. When I want to read I don't want to have to be sure I've charged it since the 10 hour battery life (which will probably be more like 5 hours) has run out. Also I have to pay more for books on the iPad, and have to pay for the 3G service too.

The Kindle lasts for 2 weeks. Reading. Not standby. No 3G contracts. Books are cheaper.

So iPhone & Kindle together makes sense. iPad not so much.

Regards,
Shane.

kenexx
28th January 2010, 10:06 AM
I'm not going to ditch my Kindle for the iPad. As other have mentioned the battery life on Kindle is a big winner and for me the size is better than the iPad.

tryandbyte
28th January 2010, 10:09 AM
As I said to Anthony (Decryption) on iChat

I'll happily duct tape my Kindle to the back of the iPad so when I want to read books on an e-ink screen :P

If you have the Kindle iPhone app the books will end up on both devices anyway..

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:10 AM
Shane,

If you do not want 3G, just buy the WIFI model. 10 hours is way too long for reading at one stretch already IMO. I don't think that is an issue. Charge it everyday , you should be fine. Kindle is completely unattractive to me personally. It's simply not "computer enough" if you know what I mean. iPad is not just an eBook reader. It's also a platform to run my favourite PocketMoney, Bloomberg, GoogleMap, Games, iWork (you can make your business presentation with it too), and many many more. It also plays all your existing collection of songs and videos... So, I would not even want to compare it with Kindle. It's like comparing a bicycle with a sport car.

scritch
28th January 2010, 10:42 AM
Shane,

If you do not want 3G, just buy the WIFI model. 10 hours is way too long for reading at one stretch already IMO. I don't think that is an issue. Charge it everyday , you should be fine. Kindle is completely unattractive to me personally. It's simply not "computer enough" if you know what I mean. iPad is not just an eBook reader. It's also a platform to run my favourite PocketMoney, Bloomberg, GoogleMap, Games, iWork (you can make your business presentation with it too), and many many more. It also plays all your existing collection of songs and videos... So, I would not even want to compare it with Kindle. It's like comparing a bicycle with a sport car.

All valid reasons why an iPhone & Kindle together make more sense for me. The 3G in the Kindle is to buy & download books wherever I am. It's convenience without the monthly bill.

As for reading for 10 hours straight - that's not what I meant nor would I want to do that. I don't want to have to charge my book every day. The Kindle let's me read for 2 weeks before I have to plug it in. Again it's about convenience.

The iPad for me duplicates too much functionality of the iPhone without offering me much more, other than the bigger screen.

Ebooks on the iPad should be seen more as a value-add rather than a reason to buy it. If you really want to read a combination of Kindle & iPhone can't be beat and offers a combined better feature set.

Each to their own - I am sure many will buy the iPad, it's just not for me.

Regards,
Shane.

toholio
28th January 2010, 11:22 AM
Shane,

If you do not want 3G, just buy the WIFI model. 10 hours is way too long for reading at one stretch already IMO. I don't think that is an issue.

It's not about reading in one stretch. It's about being able to finish a novel without having to find a damn power-point. I take the Kindle camping, I read it on the train, I read it when I'm visiting my parents. Charging it every day simply isn't an option. What's more, I read it outside. The iPad's screen will be nearly as useless as the iPhone's screen for that.

They are aiming for two totally different markets. Which you said yourself.

Heavy readers absolutely will not stand for a battery life as short as 10 hours. Don't forget that most eInk devices have a charge that's good for several weeks. It has to be longer than the average holiday to be useful.

The iPad will be fine for casual reading and great for web browsing. It'll suck for eBooks for the same reason the iPhone sucks for eBooks. Lots of people will use it as an eBook reader but heavy readers will not.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 11:26 AM
I guess time will be the best test of which product would be most widely received by the consumers.

toholio
28th January 2010, 11:43 AM
I guess time will be the best test of which product would be most widely received by the consumers.

The iPad, almost certainly. But that's totally irrelevant because it's not the same market as the Kindle, i.e. heavy reading.

Waiting to see which will be most popular is like waiting to see if Olympic swimming pools will be more popular than bath tubs.

BLINDER
28th January 2010, 11:54 AM
Look at the screen on a MacBook Pro. It's the same as that.

Darn. That's what I'm typing on at the moment and I wouldn't say that's the greatest reading experience ever!
I'm agreeing with what others are saying in positive support for the Kindle - screen is great (for its intended reading purpose).
I was hoping Apple might have known something I didn't about making a really good indoor/ outdoor/ legible/ readable screen.
Nothing hugely wrong with what they're going with but not quite there IMO.
All the same, I can still see plenty of reasons why I'd like one in the house!

MikeB
28th January 2010, 12:10 PM
Crude? Bit like saying a car makes a bike look crude. In simplistic terms yes, but in usability or purposefulness terms not necessarily so.

I think the Kindle is safe for the time being. Australian availability, eInk and free wireless are a few good reasons.

aliens
28th January 2010, 12:15 PM
Think it will be fantastic for emial readign and web browsing while travelling and commuting. The iPhone screen is too small for most web pages v annoying movign around. This will be perfect for me. The eBooks part will be a bonus I might start using.
Does it work with Myki??:)

Lutze
28th January 2010, 01:41 PM
It's not aimed at me and I don't need it.

My iPhone and Macbook Pro do everything that this does - and they do it better.

However, I'm not going disconnect my MBP from the display and haul it through to the livingroom to check my email, twitter, web, facebook etc. I currently use my iPhone for this.... however right now I'm finding my iPhone battery is down to 3% by 7pm every night.

This may just become a couch surfer device for me. I'll see how it looks when they bring them to the Perth Apple Store. ;)

laughingbird
28th January 2010, 02:43 PM
It may be a while before the iPad is even a serious competitor for the Kindle in Australia. Footnote 1 on the Features Page (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/) says "iBooks available in the U.S. only." If that is the case, we are going to get the iPad without the wannabe Kindle-killer anyway.

The Fluffy Duck
28th January 2010, 02:46 PM
Unless I can read it without my eyes aching from all the light drilling to the back of my brain, it defeats the purpose of a reader.

Why listen to music if its so loud it hurts you. Same principle.

That goes for any device.

melbmac
28th January 2010, 05:43 PM
Haven't seen the iPad screen yet, but for reading the Kindle screen is awesome.

Netbooks...

Well. IMO they'll be around for a while yet...

rmac
28th January 2010, 05:47 PM
the kindle is great for hardcore readers who get eye strain, but the iPad adds lots of colours and effects to ebooks i.e. teh shiney