PDA

View Full Version : So now you have seen, will you buy?

Mecha
28th January 2010, 05:50 AM
We have all seen it now so ill you buy the iPad on release?

Japester
28th January 2010, 05:53 AM
I would like one to replace my MacBook Air, but I'm a little worried that it won't replace enough of the functionality. One of the greatest uses of my MacBook is as a test bed for software before implementing on my iMac, which is a production machine, so I'm protective of it.

I'd like to buy one and use it for a while to see how it goes. I don't think there's any other way to determine this.

mitty
28th January 2010, 05:55 AM
Really not sure. Will have to play with one for a while first. Won't be lining up on launch day or anything... and you'd have to be nuts not to wait for the 3G model.

SRG
28th January 2010, 05:56 AM
Well was hoping for a newspaper and magazine reader and it doesn't seem to do either. Even the New York Times was a App not a copy of the paper.

The other thing is I don't want another 3G plan and to make the most of this you really will need that I think.

Happy with my iPhone, BeBook and Macbook Pro.

samuelowens
28th January 2010, 06:00 AM
Sadly no.

The iPad does not do enough to warrant a change to my technology purchases list for the next 12-18 months, which remains:
- Mac mini to replace dying CD model
- Quad-core MBP 17" (I'd much prefer to surf the web on the couch with a machine that has Flash built into the web browser as well as a physical keyboard)
- 4th generation iPhone (which is good enough to surf the web on the way to work)
- Full HD TV

In 18 months though, I may leap in...

Gerbils
28th January 2010, 06:02 AM
Yep, I want it... nay, NEED IT! I will have it!

mab
28th January 2010, 06:06 AM
No flash no multi-tasking no non-approved apple apps? Its pretty, nice UI and all, but too locked up for my taste.

Geoff3DMN
28th January 2010, 06:07 AM
Yes I will be buying one, but I want the 64Gb with 3G model which means I might have a bit of a wait.

I've got an iMac for home use and a MacBook for portable use and the MacBook Air has mostly been used on trips away from home or by my other half.

The light use that the MacBook Air gets the iPad would substitute well for and easier and lighter to carry.

*edit*

The US are getting them earlier than us, if the warranty on the iPad is international like the laptops then I'll probably order one via Price USA, which will get me one a fair bit sooner I imagine.

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:08 AM
I certainly want one.
I may not need it, but damn, I want to see how well it works and experience Apple's latest tech in action.
I'll be lining up/pre-ordering/whatever to get one!
(will get one with wi-fi as soon as they're available, and then sell/give away the wi-fi one and get one with 3G to use personally)

Japester
28th January 2010, 06:10 AM
You should be happy it doesn't use Flash. This product category may accelerate its demise, if web developers continue to move away from Flash for the sake of compatibility with the iPhone.

Gerbils
28th January 2010, 06:13 AM
You should be happy it doesn't use Flash. This product category may accelerate its demise, if web developers continue to move away from Flash for the sake of compatibility with the iPhone.

+1

Die Flash Die!

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 06:14 AM
I reckon they've deliberately built in a certain amount of redundancy to boost "upgrade" sales in the future. I'll buy the second generation model when the hype has died down. I'm disappointed.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 06:17 AM
I'll buy the wifi model and when there's ko wifi I'd connect via my iPhone.

Nisstrust
28th January 2010, 06:18 AM
I will definitely get an iPad, i have been waiting for a device like this for years.. it will be a perfect fit for what i need!

JBS003
and you'd have to be nuts not to wait for the 3G model.

... unless it tethers to the iphone (please!!!), it does have bluetooth....???

When I think about what I use my MBP for when I am traveling, it is in this order:

1. surfing the net
2. emailing
3. listening to iTunes through decent portable speakers as a portable sound system
4. logging on to work VPN to edit word documents on the system
5. watching the odd movie or tv show
6. editing documents in Mac Office
7. editing and viewing photos

It seems as this might be able to do all of those things reasonably well, although 6 could be touch and go, iWork is an unknown quantity for me.

If the price is right, and it tethers to the iPhone so I can use my current Telstra 3G, I will probably give the Wi-Fi version a go and see if it can replace the MBP.... In which case I will use the rest of the money to buy a new iMac :D

(I also don't like the idea of another 3G account)

SaucyChick
I wanted to want it, but after the adrenaline died down I realised my iPhone and MBP are enough.

DaveOZ
28th January 2010, 06:19 AM
When is it out?

Gerbils
28th January 2010, 06:20 AM
It's the perfect thing for me to surf on my couch! I usually to this with my iPhone.

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:22 AM
When is it out?

60 days time for the non-3G model.
90 days time for the 3G model.

doofus
28th January 2010, 06:24 AM
A bigger iPhone is all I really see. Nice but not a must have.
If it had 128 gb of storage and a USB port that I could download photos to it would make an ideal travel companion, but at the moment it is just eye candy.

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 06:24 AM
60 days time for the non-3G model.
90 days time for the 3G model.

That's in the US.

Or have they announced international availability?

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 06:27 AM
A bigger iPhone is all I really see. . .

. . . but without the phone capability. A bigger iPod Touch really.

BLINDER
28th January 2010, 06:28 AM
I like the idea of what it is and what it could become as a portfolio-showing device.
Also a very neat gadget for two small girls wanting to watch something when out of the house. And if the screen is as good as I suspect it is then I'd love to move away from the other screens here and read stuff purely for entertainment on it.

Ecto1
28th January 2010, 06:31 AM
At this point the only reason why I'll get this is the screen size that's it. I all ready own a iPhone that can do everything the iPad can do. Why do I need it? If I did get one though it will be the 64GB model without 3G. I think if I did get one I would get rid of my iPhone. Why would you need a iPhone if you had the iPad.

thenewblack
28th January 2010, 06:33 AM
Weight was a major dealbreaker with me. I've been holding off on buying a Macbook Air purely to see what the tablet specs would be like. With around a third of the iPad screen being the black border, that's a lot of glass and aluminium wasted as far as I'm concerned. Once you add a case that will ensure you don't break the screen, it's not that much of a step up to the weight of a Macbook Air. Now I wish I'd bought one prior to Dec 31 for the tax break.

glitch
28th January 2010, 06:35 AM
Also, for those that do want one, dont get too excited. Given the fiasco with the QUad Core iMacs it could be Christmas before the iPad is available!

Gothikon
28th January 2010, 06:35 AM
I will probably get one for myself. 90% of what I do on a computer outside of work is browse the web, email and RSS feeds. I'm also hoping I won't have to re-buy all the software I have for my iPhone. I travel more and more these days and I'd much rather have this to play with in the airport than dig out my laptop. It would also tempt me to sell my MacBook pro and go back to using a desktop, but I probably won't.

I'm actually more excited about this for my grandparents though. They have been on edge about getting a computer for a while, they basically want to use email to keep in touch with friends/family overseas. I'm sure they'd use the web quite a bit too if they had it. My original concern was that it wouldn't have a real keyboard but the dock solves that. What I am most disappointed about is that it doesn't have a video camera for iChat and Skype. I'm sure the next one will, they could always sell it and upgrade...

Although the iPad isn't everything I hoped for from a hardware point of view I think the real innovations are in the UI and software/media pricing/distribution model.

jack112006
28th January 2010, 06:37 AM
If it had 128 gb of storage and a USB port that I could download photos to it would make an ideal travel companion, but at the moment it is just eye candy.

Apple has an accessory that you can plug into the dock connector that makes it into a USB port. So thats one half covered.

ninja
28th January 2010, 06:38 AM

When I think about what I use my MBP for when I am traveling, it is in this order:

1. surfing the net
2. emailing
3. listening to iTunes through decent portable speakers as a portable sound system

It seems as this might be able to do all of those things reasonably well, although 6 could be touch and go, iWork is an unknown quantity for me.

If the price is right, and it tethers to the iPhone so I can use my current Telstra 3G, I will probably give the Wi-Fi version a go and see if it can replace the MBP.... In which case I will use the rest of the money to buy a new iMac :D

Totally agree with you there.
The tethering would be awesome to save another plan. Quickly access the net to download/send emails.

I like to travel light so anything like this is perfect for me. I will buy the keyboard and through that in the suitcase and carry the ipad. Do away with a bulky book to boot!

jack112006
That's in the US.

Or have they announced international availability?

That's international. We just won't have carrier partners until June-July.

Back2Bedlam

1. surfing the net
2. emailing

With my iPhone, 2, 3 & 5 are brilliant when travelling, 1 is satisfactory, and i'd never do 4, 6 or 7 on anything but a dedicated computer.

They didn't say how iWork will work! Where will the files be kept? As is, if you use your iPhone, you need 3rd party app's (or mobile idisk) to store files, and I can't say that is too happy if that's stilll the case.

So many questions left unanswered

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:40 AM
Why would you need a iPhone if you had the iPad.

To make phone calls.
To receive & send SMS.
To have a smartphone with you everywhere you go.

toholio
I'll definitely buy one but not at launch.

glitch
Why would you need a iPhone if you had the iPad.

Because you cant make phone calls on the iPad?

Back2Bedlam
That's international. We just won't have carrier partners until June-July.

But if it's coming unlocked? What does that matter? Surely all you do, is get the SIM outta ya Mobile Broadband Dongle (or buy prepaid) and then use that.

Ecto1
28th January 2010, 06:43 AM
To make phone calls.
To receive & send SMS.
To have a smartphone with you everywhere you go.

I am sure there be times where you wont or cant take the iPad with you so in that case the iPhone will be needed. I guess it's just lucky that I don't like any of the other phone models.

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:46 AM
But if it's coming unlocked? What does that matter? Surely all you do, is get the SIM outta ya Mobile Broadband Dongle (or buy prepaid) and then use that.

Yes, all the iPads will be sold unlocked.
You will be able to buy them on plans/contracts in June-July.

scar68
28th January 2010, 06:47 AM
I want one to use as a media player while traveling which I do for work quite a bit. I also enjoy e-books a lot.

I really really hope this pushes the Australian publishing industry to get off their ass*es join the new millennium and release rights in Aus for more content.

Currently the only way to read a large proportion of e-book content is to fake a US account or steal it.

Hurry up people "I WANT to GIVE you my MONEY".

Mel7
28th January 2010, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by JBS003 View Post

1. surfing the net
2. emailing

If the price is right, and it tethers to the iPhone so I can use my current Telstra 3G, I will probably give the Wi-Fi version a go and see if it can replace the MBP.... In which case I will use the rest of the money to buy a new iMac

Ditto for me. I'd use it for short trips away. The iPhone is fine for reading emails, but I tend to always take my MacBook with me when I travel for work. The iPad could be a useful middle option for one or two night stays.

jack112006
28th January 2010, 06:51 AM

That's what I'm doing. And if I need a dedicated SIM, that's no problem as I can get one nice n' free. But most of the time I will be on Wi-Fi, at school or home. And if it tethers with my iPhone, I will just get the Wi-Fi version.

Back2Bedlam
Yes, all the iPads will be sold unlocked.
You will be able to buy them on plans/contracts in June-July.

Job's stated that they will not be offered under contracts, but prepaid!

It does give Telco's the time to introduce tarriffs for *SIM only Mobile Broadband".

Gerbils
They didn't say how iWork will work! Where will the files be kept?

I imagine a big part of this will be coupled with MobileMe... your documents will be stored in "the cloud"!

Back2Bedlam
28th January 2010, 06:54 AM
That's what I'm doing. And if I need a dedicated SIM, that's no problem as I can get one nice n' free. But most of the time I will be on Wi-Fi, at school or home. And if it tethers with my iPhone, I will just get the Wi-Fi version.

Can't see how it will tether! You won't be able to use the dock connecter, as there is no dock to dock connector out there.
If you used bluetooth, you'd be attempting to tether two devices that operate the same way for Cellular data.

decryption
28th January 2010, 06:56 AM
Job's stated that they will not be offered under contracts, but prepaid!

It does give Telco's the time to introduce tarriffs for *SIM only Mobile Broadband".

Telcos (well at least 3 & Telstra - I haven't checked the others) already have SIM only mobile broadband.

Jaydos
28th January 2010, 06:56 AM
If you used bluetooth, you'd be attempting to tether two devices that operate the same way for Cellular data.

Poor iPhone battery, certainly wouldn't keep up with the iPad battery.

vortex_
28th January 2010, 06:57 AM
No. Don't see a point for it in my life. Waste of time and space.

sebasporto
28th January 2010, 07:06 AM
I was hoping for an open OS where I can install anything I want (e.g. VLC) and play any kind of media. So the whole closeness of the OS is a deal breaker for me.

sebasporto
28th January 2010, 07:10 AM

When everybody makes the move to HTML5 it will be the same thing again. You will have all those annoying ads in HTML5 and you won't be able to do anything about them. A least you can block Flash.

leon
28th January 2010, 07:12 AM
I think its great. I hate surfing the web on my iPhone. The screen is too small and it hurts the wrist holding it in bed/on the couch for too long.

I have a 12" Powerbook and 13" Macbook, both of which are ok for surfing on the couch and out and about, but I do feel that they are both too big.
iPad is pretty much perfect.

FWIW I have a G4 Cube and love it. I for one don't care if the iPad becomes Cube 2.0, as the Cube was brilliant.

scruffie
28th January 2010, 07:19 AM
not planning to buy. it doesn't fit well in my ecosystem of computer happiness. ive got an iphone and a macbook for my slothy internet usage in bed and couch etc.

ruegen
28th January 2010, 07:23 AM
I'm getting one for myself as I've always wanted a 'tablet like' device for artwork and the iPad is ideal as a laptop (something I don't really want considering I have an iMac, even the MacBook Air is too much). My mother still needs a laptop (CAD, Accounting) but my dad NEEDS an iPad - it's simple enough for him to figure out like his iPhone, I just hope he can sync his iPhone to it.

6andy6
28th January 2010, 07:28 AM
Great looking machine with so much potential.....missed.

Lot of money for what it does.

Cannot play DVD's (wouldnt want a burner but a player wouldnt go astray so would stay with netbook/laptop);
Has no USB so cannot hook into any external hard drive to watch movies etc that the internal harddrive can't save if full (unless I missed something);
Small memory - my god my existing hardrive fills up quickly with movies, tv series, songs and pics so this will be useless on long over seas trips

Sorry but over priced (and those are US$ prices so AUD$ will be more) for a book and video player when I can do all of this on a laptop and most people already have laptops or desktops.

gehenna
28th January 2010, 07:33 AM
Great looking machine with so much potential.....missed.

So much point....missed.

ruegen
28th January 2010, 07:34 AM
Cannot play DVD's (wouldnt want a burner but a player wouldnt go astray so would stay with netbook/laptop); Buy movies directly DVDs are old

Has no USB so cannot hook into any external hard drive to watch movies etc that the internal harddrive can't save if full (unless I missed something); Access content wirelessly or by buying larger capacity iPad.

marc
28th January 2010, 07:38 AM
Buying several iPads (urgh, stupid name) and developing apps for them. Fo sho.

Cannot play DVD's

Optical media is dead. Has been for a while for a lot of things.

I can do all of this on a laptop and most people already have laptops or desktops.

Apple laptops start at USD$999.

Ecto1
28th January 2010, 07:43 AM
Cannot play DVD's (wouldnt want a burner but a player wouldnt go astray so would stay with netbook/laptop); Why? when it has iTunes. You could just rip and convert a DVD from your collection into iTunes on your main mac and just import it onto the iPad.

Has no USB so cannot hook into any external hard drive to watch movies etc that the internal harddrive can't save if full (unless I missed something);
Yeah, I tend to agree. I would of liked to use it as a way to store and view my RAW photos while on the road. Even a SD slot would of not gone astray.

Minkey
28th January 2010, 07:46 AM
It will save my iPhone battery a TON of life, because when I'm home I'll be using the tablet for a lot things I was using the iPhone for.

M

marc
28th January 2010, 07:49 AM
Even a SD slot would of not gone astray.

There's a Dock to SD adaptor.

Bottom of this page: Apple - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 07:53 AM
In some countries, Telcos offer TWO sim cards under the same plan using the same telephone number. Would be perfect for this kind of situation.

6andy6
28th January 2010, 07:54 AM
64 Gb is not big. My 32 bg iphone is amost full and thats after deleting several movies and a couple of tv series - great idea for an Ipad that maybe can hold 10 movies and a couple of tv series -not.
As for DVD's - hey guys despite what you like to think at this point in time there are still a lot of people with DVD's that don't want to just throw them out. Most of the population do not download movies and watch them on tv from things like Apple tv. And as for ripping on another machine and transfering to Itunes then onto this - well that is the point. Great you need to machines plus the time to rip things. Hardly an instant media machine its made out to be.
And as for pricing - US$829 equates to AUD$921 (lets assume the most expensive)+ add gst (10% = $92) =$1105 then add the famous Apple mark up you could well be on the way to AUD$1200. Hardly cheap as I said for a 'bookreader and movie watcher' when a laptop although more expensive can do much more with one machine. :-)
If no one can't see the 'lacks off' with this machine then no wonder we always get releases that require us to upgrade to better versions 12 months later (remember MMS and the camera isssue on the phone).
The point is for what it does it is expensive - its not a world breaker. Its nice and I would buy but at a much cheaper price point given the restrictions.

DaveOZ
28th January 2010, 07:55 AM
I will probably buy it because I'm a sucker for gadgets but I can't see it replacing my Air. Will be handy for the kids to watch movies on, damn now I need 2.

macgeek
28th January 2010, 07:59 AM
I'll be getting a 64gig Wifi model.

I rarely use 3G for data on my iPhone and I cbf dealing with telcos to get yet another 3G service. Hopefully in some software update they allow the iPad to tether with the iPhone, if not then I don't care.

Can't wait! :D

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 08:02 AM
+1.

My 32GB iPhone was full long time ago. I have to keep deleting applications and songs to fit in. 64GB is the bare minimum for me.

DaveOZ
28th January 2010, 08:03 AM
Really silly that they did't put in an SD slot. Carrying an adapter is stupid.

utechick_21
28th January 2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah I agree about the sd slot.. I thought that was silly too! haha...

I can't wait to see them... I really do like the idea of having the ipad, just for portability sakes! Am thinking of selling the macbook pro, buying an imac 27" and an ipad.. will have the best of all worlds :D

Definitely like the look though, and seriously, the case for it looks awesome... :)

Ecto1
28th January 2010, 08:10 AM
Am thinking of selling the macbook pro, buying an imac 27" and an ipad.. will have the best of all worlds :D

Yeah I'm thinking the same, but I'll keep my 24" iMac and just buy the iPad.

grorr76
28th January 2010, 08:13 AM
There's a Dock to SD adaptor.

Bottom of this page: Apple - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)

I dont know if anyone else has come across this but you can import your pictures and video straight from your camera, and use the thing as a viewer. this is something I have wanted for a long time but didn't want to part with 800 or so dollars for a stand alone photo storage viewer. Also has the sd adaptor for those using sd cards.. Im sold but I dont want another data plan on top of what I have now.. If only you could tether your iphone to it....

melbmac
28th January 2010, 08:17 AM
I'll buy it eventually, when I move back to a desktop.

Until then, it doesn't provide enough functionality for what I do.

afton
28th January 2010, 08:21 AM
yes for iPad 4G.

SilverJ
28th January 2010, 08:25 AM
Horrible name. Clearly they don't have many females in the R&D naming department.
I've got an iPhone 3G S. I feel like I have an iPad already, just with a smaller screen.
I'll be saving my money for the new iPhone this year instead. It's too expensive for me to justify buying one when I see it as an oversized iPhone. Also tempted to get a Mac Pro this year, so I'll put my $1000 towards that instead.

meverz
28th January 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm not getting one right away, but it looks like Apple will be getting even more of my money at the end of the year.

This just solidifies the plan to get an iMac, iPhone, and now and iPad at the end of the year when I finish college and start work. Hopefully the new version iPad will be out by then, otherwise I might have to just hold off until it is.

Let's me leave the iMac in the office, and use the iPad at home / on the road / on the coach.

Now, just need to convince Oaktree to port Accordance to the iPad, and everything will be set ;)

thomaswilliams
28th January 2010, 08:36 AM
iPad is horrible name for obvious reasons.

I don't know why people are surprised it doesn't have an SD slot. Don't get be wrong, it would be brilliant, however wouldn't it stop people buying the larger capacity models and just whacking in a cheaper bigger SD card?

I am a little disappointed with the OS limitations of it. As a graphic designer, the iPad would have been perfect for showing clients smalls amounts of work on (that I currently use my MBP for–which is big and clumsy), the ability to hand it around the table would have been fantastic.

Also, the ability to use applications like Photoshop and Illustrator on the go would be fantastic too.

Unfortunately, those two things are deal breakers for me, I want to like it, and I want to need one, but I fear that if I was to purchase one it would sit around gathering dust.

chrome
28th January 2010, 08:36 AM
its a maybe from me, really. I don't like reading books on my iPhone or my netbook in bed. I have been considering the kindle but it's lack of usefulness other than as a book reader was a problem. So the iPad might be good.

Whats important to me is the price of the books and what publishers they will deal with. I want books from specific writers and they need to be significantly cheaper than dead tree versions.

Ecto1
28th January 2010, 08:37 AM
I've changed my mind and I'm going to buy one. You can buy a SD card reader, so importing my RAW files for storing and viewing could be done. All it needs now is a RAW file viewer app.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 08:42 AM
Also, the ability to use applications like Photoshop and Illustrator on the go would be fantastic too.

The desktop version of these software would not be suitable for finger use I guess. Wait for a while.... I think you will see one of the developers coming up with something even better, and made specifically for iPad.

decryption
28th January 2010, 08:43 AM
iPad is horrible name for obvious reasons.

I don't know why people are surprised it doesn't have an SD slot. Don't get be wrong, it would be brilliant, however wouldn't it stop people buying the larger capacity models and just whacking in a cheaper bigger SD card?

I am a little disappointed with the OS limitations of it. As a graphic designer, the iPad would have been perfect for showing clients smalls amounts of work on (that I currently use my MBP for–which is big and clumsy), the ability to hand it around the table would have been fantastic.

Unfortunately, those two things are deal breakers for me, I want to like it, and I want to need one, but I fear that if I was to purchase one it would sit around gathering dust.

You can easily display PDFs/websites/images on the iPad.

You also never know, but Adobe could make a mobile version of their creative suite and sell it on the app store as a cut down version of the full suite for limited editing & full viewing/display of files created in the full version.

soulman
28th January 2010, 08:44 AM
Horrible name. Clearly they don't have many females in the R&D naming department.Or maybe women in the US don't call them pads. I have no idea, but it would make sense if so.

grorr76
28th January 2010, 08:45 AM
I've changed my mind and I'm going to buy one. You can buy a SD card reader, so importing my RAW files for storing and viewing could be done. All it needs now is a RAW file viewer app.

as i said above it has a usb adaptor to plug your camera in has enormous possabilities for editing video and editing pictures out on the road.

Apple - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)
mentioned at the bottom of the page

Daz7
28th January 2010, 09:10 AM
What will make this thing sell will be the apps that get written for it and the pricing of said apps.

I'll be getting one, can see lots of uses for it.

tangent23
28th January 2010, 09:19 AM
people will get over the ipad name pretty quick, look at the wii now as to when the name was announced..

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 09:22 AM
iPad is a good name to me :-)

SRG
28th January 2010, 09:28 AM
Telcos (well at least 3 & Telstra - I haven't checked the others) already have SIM only mobile broadband.

Didn't they say (well I read) it is a micro sim or something so I don't think we will be able to take the sime from our USB dongles and put it in.

Makes sense the Telco's will want to see you another plan, and that is a stumbling block for me. I pay for wireless now and the iphone and home (crap that is a lot actually) and I just don't want and won't sign up for another plan.

Inside the iPad Lurks the 'Micro SIM' - Reviews by PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358489,00.asp)

grfxninja
28th January 2010, 09:32 AM
I wont be getting one as I don't have a use for it yet. It looks awesome and all that but I use my iPhone for pretty much everything it does (except reading - iPhone screen is too small for me to read comfortably).

My first instinct when I saw this was that it would be perfect for the Medical profession - Just depends if they can get the right sort of apps developed for it (not sure if there is already something for the iphone or not…?).

So a doc is doing their rounds at the hospital - pulls up the patients name on their iPad which gives them up to date info on what has/hasn't been given to the patient. They make a few adjustments/notes and it all goes back to a central hub in the hospital.

I remember a while back there was talk of a centralised medical record system of some kind for all of Australia. If this ever happens, then this could be very handy if it is linked into that somehow.
e.g.: unconscious patient is brought into the emergency department. All they have is a name from his ID in his wallet. Punch up his name on the iPad and get all previous medical history including a warning that he is allergic to morphine (you get the drift…).

Now obviously this same system could work from any terminal, but at least the doc/nurse doesn't have to go off to the computer in the office thus wasting what could be precious minutes in the care of the patient.
And I think it would be a lot easier to use the (stupidly named) iPad over a netbook/laptop for this sort of application

decryption
28th January 2010, 09:34 AM
I wont be getting one as I don't have a use for it yet. It looks awesome and all that but I use my iPhone for pretty much everything it does (except reading - iPhone screen is too small for me to read comfortably).

My first instinct when I saw this was that it would be perfect for the Medical profession - Just depends if they can get the right sort of apps developed for it (not sure if there is already something for the iphone or not…?).

So a doc is doing their rounds at the hospital - pulls up the patients name on their iPad which gives them up to date info on what has/hasn't been given to the patient. They make a few adjustments/notes and it all goes back to a central hub in the hospital.

I remember a while back there was talk of a centralised medical record system of some kind for all of Australia. If this ever happens, then this could be very handy if it is linked into that somehow.
e.g.: unconscious patient is brought into the emergency department. All they have is a name from his ID in his wallet. Punch up his name on the iPad and get all previous medical history including a warning that he is allergic to morphine (you get the drift…).

Now obviously this same system could work from any terminal, but at least the doc/nurse doesn't have to go off to the computer in the office thus wasting what could be precious minutes in the care of the patient.
And I think it would be a lot easier to use the (stupidly named) iPad over a netbook/laptop for this sort of application

This has been a dream of geeks in the medical profession for years. The tech do it has been around for a while, but the governments, hospital admin and privacy advocates have dragged it out. Plus it's a massive task and all the checks and requirements of such a massive project would be quite daunting.

That said, a few hospitals in America are leading the way with iPhone use by staff and I have no doubt they will love the iPad.

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 09:36 AM
It looks so beautiful and I'm wanting to say yes but I have to say no, I wouldn't buy it. I just can't think of a purpose for it, other than a digital photo display and fancy web browser (it could work well with Cooliris (http://www.cooliris.com)).

It's a bit hard to tell without seeing it myself but the screen doesn't look like it would make long bouts of reading (ie. eBooks) much of a joy, especially in daylight. Dedicated digital readers with e-ink displays are better for just straight reading. Apple should have used Pixel Qi displays (http://www.pixelqi.com/products) and had the best of both worlds.

Lack of multitasking on the iPhone and Touch is a bit of a let down. But no multitasking on a device this big is just stupid. So, I'm working on a document (using the keyboard dock or a bluetooth keyboard because typing more than 100 words would be major chore on a touch keyboard) and I want to get my facts straight and search Wikipedia. I have to save the document, close down iWork and open Safari. Then after I've found what I was looking for, close Safari and open my document again. WTF? I'm assuming there's copy and paste - haven't seen anything that says there is but the iPhone OS has editing (eventually) so I'll take a punt.

A built-in camera would have made it handy for web chats. But 'no camera for you' unless you buy the optional connector kit and plug in your own.

I'd never use it on the train. A wide, 178° viewing angle is great for sharing the screen whilst watching a video with your mates but I wouldn't want most of my fellow commuters seeing what I'm doing.

It's too big to be just an iPod or mobile phone.

And call me immature but the name iPad sounds to me like a brand of feminine hygiene product :eek:

Sorry Apple, I'm trying to love the iPad but there's just too few uses I can think of to make it worth the money, which is a real shame because the price is one of it's better features.

JustaUniStudent
28th January 2010, 09:38 AM
I'll see what the "Comunity" can do with it. Once they find a few back doors and open it up a bit I'll be more interested.

I was hoping for standard USB port (iWork docs transfer?) which I didn't get, but I was really pleased to see the SD connector dongle. Once the OS is open, I'll be looking into getting access to that extra storage. Sure the dongle is ugly, but a pocket full of SDHC cards full of movies will be handle-able.

I was actually expecting a stylus option and a really good handwriting recognition software. That would have justified the "Pad" name, and made it useable by just about everyone. They have put some snazzy chinese text recognition into the trackpad/snowleopard recently so maybe it's in the pipeline?

I am for the 4th time now (3 phones and now this), completely baffled why there is no forward facing camera?! For a company that loves getting "oohs" out of it's customers, (ie: the leopard keynote reflective dock) this one is a no brainer. I'd also love to see that statistic on how many macs have been sold from consumers just wanting to make those photobooth pics they see on facebook.

The new magazine/newspaper format was another part i was looking for. A nice new apple only format that magazines can flog us their content was where I saw the money maker in 30% of subscriptions. I won't write it off yet, but books and texts in the standard ebook format sounds a little "early days".

It's an interesting reaction, but in ways I was more prepared for the let down than the product itself. It's always the same. 3gs keynote got piles of "I wanted more" but they're still everyones favourite piece of electronic jewellery.

Mactalk should be stoked. They're gonna get years of updates out of this thing.

(will evaluate buying one around black-friday.)
@Bart: as requested, "You are immature".
over the pad jokes already.

TheKeddi
28th January 2010, 09:38 AM
I really don't think this generation apreciates what's being made today. When I was younger you were lucky to have a tape recorder! I live in awe of what's being made today, I guess I am lucky, I would hate to be upset about something because it didn't do one thing I wanted.

It's an awesome piece of machinery and I will be getting one on launch, from America if I have to if the launch times are too far apart!!!!

Gruntled
28th January 2010, 09:42 AM
According to Gizmodo the 3g model will have a micro Sim, not the same as your regular Sim. This will make it much more difficult for you to get a sim only plan

Apple iPad: Everything You Need to Know - apple ipad - Gizmodo (http://i.gizmodo.com/5458292/apple-ipad-everything-you-need-to-know?skyline=true&s=i&autoplay=true)

east
28th January 2010, 09:44 AM
my vote is a Nay as I prefer an upgraded (more RAM) MacBook Air.

mab
28th January 2010, 09:45 AM
Anyone know id Telstra have the Micro Sims that the iPad uses

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 09:47 AM
Apple has an accessory that you can plug into the dock connector that makes it into a USB port.

That will look like make it look like an oversized iPhone with a massive haemorrhoid hanging out of its arse.

chrissara
28th January 2010, 09:48 AM
For me the $64000 is whether to go for a Wi-Fi or 3G version.

If the Wi-Fi version somehow would enable me to use a USB adaptor for me to access the net away from Wi-Fi spots then I would go that way.

Then the next question is - how often will I use it away from wi-fi spots? Regional area - few wi-fi spots...

Japester
28th January 2010, 09:51 AM
For me the $64000 is whether to go for a Wi-Fi or 3G version.

If the Wi-Fi version somehow would enable me to use a USB adaptor for me to access the net away from Wi-Fi spots then I would go that way.

Then the next question is - how often will I use it away from wi-fi spots? Regional area - few wi-fi spots...

I'm going to get the Wi-Fi version and use it for a while. If it annoys me that I don't have connectivity on the go, I'll pay Optus the extra $10 a month for tethering on my iPhone. It won't replace my iPhone and I'll have it with me all the time, so it seems like a logical solution to me.

ladybugspider
28th January 2010, 09:56 AM
I think this might be useful to a photographer doing outdoor shoots. Well, you can bring a laptop but this might be more convenient seeing that it's lighter and the battery last longer.

Edit: Never mind, just realized it doesn't have a USB port or CF card slot. I thought the camera kit was for connecting dSLRs.

avolve
28th January 2010, 09:59 AM
I see this as more than a tablet - it is also a netbook. Like grfxninja wrt medical, I see this as a suitable student machine —*taking notes in lectures w/o the keyboard dock...

viveka
28th January 2010, 10:11 AM

No 128 GB storage - I'll be using wifi to upload to the cloud or my home server. But (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/):

"The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card"

If you can also *write* through the SD Card Reader (jailbreak, anyone?), then things get a bit more interesting.

lazydesi
28th January 2010, 10:12 AM
no way, just an epic fail product from Apple

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:18 AM
no way, just an epic fail product from Apple

Why do you have to be so dismissive? You're going to be proved wrong.

Perhaps it's not for you. That doesn't make it a failure. What didn't they include that you wanted? Flash? Camera? Other? Take it for what it is. It's not a failure because you're disappointed.

God, these flat dismissals shit me!

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 10:19 AM
I know for sure that I would not want to pay for an additional data plan. So, I would simply make my iPhone a WIFI hotspot using MYWI, and with that the iPad can have full internet access.

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:21 AM
I know for sure that I would not want to pay for an additional data plan. So, I would simply make my iPhone a WIFI hotspot using MYWI, and with that the iPad can have full internet access.

That's what I intend to do. Unless it costs the same or less to run a 3G iPad, it doesn't make sense not to tether my iPhone.

ladybugspider
28th January 2010, 10:30 AM
I'm unclear on two things about this.
Can the iPad handle Flash? Some sites are reporting it cannot while the Apple site is saying it can view Youtube videos?
Also, are SD cards really more popular than CF cards?

uncyherb
28th January 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm unclear on one thing about this.
Can the iPad handle Flash? Some sites are reporting it cannot while the Apple site is saying it can view Youtube videos?

You can view Youtube on an iPhone {through the Youtube app} and it does not support the Flash plug-in.

Assume the same is true for the iPad.

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:35 AM
I'm unclear on one thing about this.

Note this well: Flash is anathema to Apple, to Mac users and mobile devices. It will never appear on an Apple mobile device and with good reason (http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash).

SD is pretty much de facto standard now.

bartron
28th January 2010, 10:35 AM
I've thought about it.....and I want one.

I didn't get my hopes up and thought it essentially a big ipod touch...now that it's been realised I can see where an iPad will work for me

60 days an counting

Japester
28th January 2010, 10:37 AM
I've thought about it.....and I want one.

I didn't get my hopes up and thought it essentially a big ipod touch...now that it's been realised I can see where an iPad will work for me

60 days an counting

That's the attitude. Hype and personal fantasies will kill you!

Arkhum_Eramak
28th January 2010, 10:58 AM

Firstly, Google re-encoded all of YouTube's content to H.264 around the time that the iPhone launched, and YouTube is now in HTML5 beta. So YouTube can easily be played without even a sniff of Flash.

Secondly, SD has become such a standard that Sony have just released a semi-pro AVCHD camcorder that records to either Memory Stick or SD Card, the first Sony product (ever, if I'm not mistaken) to use the competing SD format in any capacity.

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 11:02 AM
@Bart: as requested, "You are immature".
over the pad jokes already.

I haven't heard any pad jokes yet. But I have heard a rumour that the iPod Shuffle will be replaced by the iTampon later this year :D

Nisstrust
28th January 2010, 11:13 AM
where do i sign up hahha

muhamadoikubaru
28th January 2010, 11:30 AM
Will most definitely get one. Right now I only have the late '06 24" iMac, and need something portable, mostly for surfing the web and writing (research essays mostly). For me, iWork was the deal breaker, and so I'm glad that it was part of today's announcement. Add to the fact that I have a bad back, and this thing weighs 0.73kg (I'm getting the 3G model, most likely with 64GB) is the icing on the cake for me.

MikeB
28th January 2010, 11:41 AM
I'm more than happy to wait for the next hardware revision. I'm kind of relieved there are so many gotchas as it means I'm not even tempted by shiny gadget lust in this case.

As far as a bridge device goes it's too close to the Iphone/Touch and not close enough to a Macbook/MBP for me.

SpecialHell
28th January 2010, 11:55 AM
will def get it. perfect portfolio tool for photographers and artists. perfect portable script writing tool. perfect for portable net, email, journal tool.

I look forward to seeing what becomes of this whole ibooks and media subscription. apple could potentially change the game with such a device. take for example.. comic books. how expensive are the US comics to buy, not to mention that it's almost an impossibility for local artist to distribute their title overseas when they have to fork out 60% of the cover price to Diamond Distributions. This can open a whole new market. my only concern is if we have some stupid region restrictions. the beauty of such a device is that i can subscribe to an international magazine without having to go to Magnation and buy the airfreighted imported priced issue.

+1 for the 3G version and i will still keep my iphone.

6andy6
28th January 2010, 12:08 PM
You are likely to have regional lock downs. You pretty much do now with any ereader unless you can craft a work around as the world is divided up by the publishing industry.

You can't just buy the same books available on lets say Amazon as an ebook in the US as you can in Australia due to differing restrictions and publishing rights applying.

Much like you can't go into the US Itune store and buy certain movies or tv shows that may not be released/available here.

Thats whats happens as we move into the wonderful world of electronic media downloads.

And they say we have a free trade agreement blah.

jesse
28th January 2010, 12:18 PM
I will certainly be getting one - I'm constantly taking notes on my iphone, voice memos and doing shitty sketches of ideas for apps and projects.

I see this as an extension of my iPhone, and an opportunity for App developers to make awesome apps. If a mobile equivalent of Photoshop / Illustrator came up for drawing, sketching and mocking up things - it'd replace my physical notepads.

I'm worried about the assisted GPS - because I've lived without a sim card in my iPhone for the last 8 months and the GPS is so handy for location with nothing else.

+1 for iPad.

Japester
28th January 2010, 12:21 PM
I will certainly be getting one - I'm constantly taking notes on my iphone, voice memos and doing shitty sketches of ideas for apps and projects.

I see this as an extension of my iPhone, and an opportunity for App developers to make awesome apps. If a mobile equivalent of Photoshop / Illustrator came up for drawing, sketching and mocking up things - it'd replace my physical notepads.

I'm worried about the assisted GPS - because I've lived without a sim card in my iPhone for the last 8 months and the GPS is so handy for location with nothing else.

+1 for iPad.

Yes, there are a few omissions compared to an iPhone. I think it will work brilliantly with the iPhone as a companion. The iPhone is better suited physically to taking photos and you can piggyback off its internet connection. I certainly wouldn't consider replacing my iPhone with this, rather to have it as well.

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 12:25 PM
It will never be able to replace the phone. You will bring along your iPhone while jogging, but you will never carry your iPad around even with a bluetooth headset.

So, I'm back to seeing that the product is making more sense now.

marc
28th January 2010, 12:28 PM
You are likely to have regional lock downs.

Much like you can't go into the US Itune store and buy certain movies or tv shows that may not be released/available here.

Thats whats happens as we move into the wonderful world of electronic media downloads.

None of that is Apple's fault. None of that has anything to do with digital distribution. It's a throwback to the times where content had different regional copyright owners and distributors. It's entirely because of physical media.

The App Store has the ability to limit apps to specific regions, but by default it doesn't. The ability only exists because of physical content and publishing/copyright.

I think we'll see the same with the iBooks Store.

kevinnugent
28th January 2010, 12:51 PM
I wasn't going to rush at this. But since I learnt that I can rip the SIM out of my mobile broadband stick and insert that little puppy in the iPad then I think I'm good to go.

I hardly use the 2GB on the stick....and I already pay for the shite... might as well get some use out of it!

feeze
28th January 2010, 01:03 PM
If I wasn't a uni student
and if I owned a desktop instead of a notebook
and if I had my own place instead of uni accommodation (which doesn't allow wi-fi in the residences)

I would buy this. But for now it's a no. But in 3 years time when I graduate, have a job, my own place and need to upgrade my equipment, I will strongly consider getting one of these along with a desktop.

kevinnugent
28th January 2010, 01:09 PM
By then we'll all have iPad V6 with jetpacks. :)

Tragedies
28th January 2010, 01:15 PM
I won't be getting one. MAYBE in the future, with a second hardware revision, or when app developers start making app's designed for it, larger scale in size and all. But for now, don't need it.

I'm slowly starting to see why people may need it, but the whole thing confuses me. It doesn't seem like a necessity in any way, and I use my iPhone for doing 80% of what the iPad does, and the things that it can do uniquely on its own (iWork etc) don't justify the cost. For me anyway.

W2ttsy
28th January 2010, 01:17 PM
i have already downloaded the SDK and will be building up an app to compliment a web app im working on. This should be a very interesting device indeed.

i have an idea running right now for an app, so will be destroying the ends of my fingers tonight at the mercy of my compiler...

Bart Smastard
28th January 2010, 01:20 PM
By then we'll all have iPad V6 with jetpacks. :)

That would awesome! I could do without multitasking and built-in camera if it had jetpacks :)

jesse
28th January 2010, 01:34 PM
I love how every apple device seems to polarise the population - but eventually everyone will have one.

dolbinau
28th January 2010, 01:36 PM
I love how every apple device seems to polarise the population - but eventually everyone will have one.

Really? I don't know....I don't think the iPad 'market' is as well defined as all the other Apple devices. (So the concerns now more than ever are more justified)

muhamadoikubaru
28th January 2010, 01:49 PM

I don't know how far off the mark I'm gonna be but here goes.

Since YouTube is now compatible with HTML5 on Safari as well as Chrome, would you be able to go to the YouTube site and view videos there on Safari?

So, technically, would you be able view YouTube videos without the app?

Some articles on the matter (of YouTube using HTML5):
AppleInsider | Google fights Flash, adds HTML5 support for YouTube videos in Safari (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/21/google_fights_flash_adds_html5_support_for_youtube _videos_in_safari.html)
YouTube Offers No-Flash HTML5 Videos for Chrome and Safari - YouTube - Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5453591/youtube-offers-no+flash-html5-videos-for-chrome-and-safari)

Japester
28th January 2010, 01:54 PM
I don't know how far off the mark I'm gonna be but here goes.

Since YouTube is now compatible with HTML5 on Safari as well as Chrome, would you be able to go to the YouTube site and view videos there on Safari?

So, technically, would you be able view YouTube videos without the app?

Some articles on the matter (of YouTube using HTML5):
AppleInsider | Google fights Flash, adds HTML5 support for YouTube videos in Safari (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/21/google_fights_flash_adds_html5_support_for_youtube _videos_in_safari.html)
YouTube Offers No-Flash HTML5 Videos for Chrome and Safari - YouTube - Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5453591/youtube-offers-no+flash-html5-videos-for-chrome-and-safari)

It's actually got a YouTube app, like the iPhone.

6andy6
28th January 2010, 01:55 PM
None of that is Apple's fault. None of that has anything to do with digital distribution. It's a throwback to the times where content had different regional copyright owners and distributors. It's entirely because of physical media..

Not quite sure I said it had anything to do with Apple - now don't quote me but I am sure I said it had to do with the publisher rights and regional lockins (which I intended to be connected to the publishers rights - same as the tv programmes and distributors rights/releases) and I also mentioned Amazon (which off course dadaaaaa isn't Apple).

The Fluffy Duck
28th January 2010, 02:07 PM
I just want to write down notes on this device and use it like a note pad. I cant therefore no cigar

DaveOZ
28th January 2010, 02:10 PM
I haven't heard any pad jokes yet. But I have heard a rumour that the iPod Shuffle will be replaced by the iTampon later this year :D

YouTube - iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU)

From 4 years ago.... I guess Apple was hoping nobody saw it.

glitch
28th January 2010, 02:37 PM

I dont think so, this is different. I know I had to have a first gen iPhone when they released and I had one of the first iPods in Australia when I bought one back from the states. I cant see myself with an iPad.

This device is different, there are existing devices which do most things it does better - and you still need the other devices.

I think the biggest limitation to its uptake will prove to be its sheer size - its too bloody big to take everywhere with you and if you have to take your iPhone and laptop with you why bother?

I actually think the MBA is a much better solution to most of the things it claims to do.

I suspect the scepticism about this device will be more widespread and entrenched than with other Apple releases.

I will be happy to be proven wrong, and maybe once I see one in the flesh I will change my mind, but at the moment I cant imagine any use for it in my e-life.

W2ttsy
28th January 2010, 02:43 PM
and if I had my own place instead of uni accommodation (which doesn't allow wi-fi in the residences)

just hide the SSID and make the routers name really nondescript and no one will know its there...

feeze
28th January 2010, 02:50 PM
just hide the SSID and make the routers name really nondescript and no one will know its there...

It's the connecting of the wireless access point to the network that's the problem. Just wont allow it as far as I tell.

I might have a better look into how the network is set up this year and see if I can figure out a solution.

jesse
28th January 2010, 02:53 PM
I don't think the iPad 'market' is as well defined as all the other Apple devices.

I dont think so, this is different. ... I cant see myself with an iPad. ... there are existing devices which do most things it does better - and you still need the other devices.

I think it's going to be a trendy device - just like the iPod Touch and iPhone are. The early adopters will run for it and the sceptical majority will eventually follow along.

It's going to replace netbooks in some capacity and you'll have examples left right and centre of how it's useful and cool. Iterations of current games and apps will appear and the uninformed general consumer will see this in the street and go "wow, is that an apple iPad?" for months to come.

Also, if the initial demand outstrips supply like the iPhone 3GS launch it will only fuel the 'coolness' of the iPad.

See you at Chadstone in late March!

laughingbird
28th January 2010, 02:59 PM
Will I buy it. Yes, eventually, maybe, if...

For me, the clincher will be its ability to run a Keynote presentation in presenter view. This is something I do regularly in the classroom. The tech specs say it will be able to be connected to a projector via a dock connector to VGA adaptor. But what I will need to see is whether it is powerful enough to handle a large presentation as smoothly as my MacBook Pro, and whether the presenter display works okay for me on the 9.7 inch screen. If that's all good, then I reckon that next time I am looking to upgrade my MBP, I would change to a desktop iMac and and iPad. If it handles the Keynote, then I'm confident it will handle all the other portability needs I have. I still do most of my work on the MBP sitting at my desk, and an iMac would be nicer there.

So when I'm looking to upgrade, I'll be looking for a demo of Keynote on the iPad. By then, we may be onto the 2nd gen iPad which may have some of the features that make it more than just a big glammed-up iPod touch (no bad thing in itself).

I'm a bit disappointed that it hasn't come out with some killer handwriting-to-text or voice-to-text function that would have really set it apart. I'm also surprised at the lack on an iSight forward facing camera for iChat or Skype. Maybe they'll be there by the time I buy. The MBP has at least another year.

techgirl
28th January 2010, 03:00 PM
I would like to say I would get one but it doesn't do anything spectacular that my Iphone or laptop cannot do (if not better- ie. connectivity ports, CD/DVD rom drive) though i do like you can view the WHOLE web page which makes it for easy viewing.

Who is this aimed for? Certainly not who already have an Iphone or laptop. Maybe for those who don't have a phone or laptop. Amateurs new to technology or Older people who work from home? Ipad will not satisfy those who have PC's.

Apple, pls if you want us to flock to your stores, pls fix the shortcomings such as multi-tasking & Adobe Flash or Quicktime (I'm sick of not being able to view videos in articles) I'm surprised you didn't introduce a new Apple Iphone OS.
Pls make happy your existing customers as well the potential new ones.

glitch
28th January 2010, 03:15 PM
I think it's going to be a trendy device

well time will tell, i actually suspect the opposite - i think pulling out an iPad is going to look rather lame and it may well prove to be anti-trendy.

Macca with a Mac
28th January 2010, 03:24 PM
I'll probably buy two, otherwise my 11yo son and I will be fighting over it. I have a Touch and have wanted something bigger - browsing the net or reading books on a Touch is a joke. I'll leave all my audio on the Touch and use the iPad for everything else. It'll be great throwing some video onto it for the kid on long trips.

One thing that has always bugged me about the Touch is how crippled it is once I leave the house. There's bugger all wi-fi in Oz and half the apps on it stop working. I wouldn't be interested in the iPad if it didn't have 3G, to me it's the killer reason to get one.

JBS003
28th January 2010, 03:52 PM
I actually think people are not really considering the magazine publishing industry. This could be the sleeper. It has been (largely) ignored in the launch of the iPad because the publishers weren't ready (Apple's fault, not theirs), but we know Conde Nast etc are on board.

The magazine publishing world was historically huge (particularly in Australia, where we had (have?) the largest per capita consumption of magazines in the world). The internet has been a thorn in its side for a while now, they have been largely forced through competition to put some or all of their content up for free.

However, through iBook, they will be able to sell a weekly or monthly magazine for, say $2.99. Previously, you would have paid $5.99 for the print version, but they don't now have physical printing and distribution costs (well, there will be 30% or something to Apple for distribution). Advertising is built into the e-mag, so you still have that source of income, plus you also get some income on downloads.

I think either Apple, or the publishing houses, will shortly release a very flash (err...I mean impressive...) magazine reader, that will be much better than going to the publication's website. I am not sure what it will look like, but I bet it will have a wow factor that will drive sales of the iPad. It will probably have international content (economies of scale) but with the potential for localised advertising (even perhaps by tailoring ads to what it, google, whoever, knows about your browsing/purchasing habits etc).

I don't think I will be much up for reading books on the iPad, but I would be more than happy to flick through a magazine on it whilst traveling, kicking back on the couch. And I would be more than happy to pay $2.99 - $5.99 or a yearly subscription of say $60-$80 for quality content.

In short, I think there is a MASSIVE incentive for the publishing industry claw back profits by developing a really cool way of accessing content, and this will help drive sales of the iPad across a number of demographics. From there, coupled with other good quality and useful apps, you get a critical mass, much like the iPhone (and the iPod with music and podcasts before it).

I still think you will get most of your basic news for free via the web, and more in depth articles through e-mags, with a slightly smaller "cover" price than what we have been used to with paper mags.

Just my thoughts...

whyaretheycalledgenius
28th January 2010, 04:03 PM
I won't be buying this until the iBook function is available here. Otherwise I just see it as a really big iPod Touch with some cool features but not cool enough for me to buy it. Yet

tcn33
28th January 2010, 04:17 PM
I was a bit on the fence (but probably still going to get one) and then I read this and my resolve crumbled.

iPad About The New Adventures of Stephen Fry (http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/)

bennettnz
28th January 2010, 04:46 PM
I know that Johnathan Ives gets a lot of credit for his designs which is well deserved but I think that Scott Forstall is doing a pretty fantastic job with the software side of things. I'm not that sold on the form factor of the iPad but the way these apps are working look much better than on a normal mac and generations better than on the iphone. As many have said the software will sell this product not the device itself.

Joey1983
28th January 2010, 05:07 PM
I actually think people are not really considering the magazine publishing industry.

This thing is MADE for magazines and I'm surprised they didn't get a mention.
Whether it's part of the iBooks Store or a separate app altogether it needs to be done.

Magazines would look amazing on a screen like this (more so than ebooks) it would totally revive the whole magazine industry if done correctly.

vortex_
28th January 2010, 07:00 PM
This thing is MADE for magazines and I'm surprised they didn't get a mention.
Whether it's part of the iBooks Store or a separate app altogether it needs to be done.

Magazines would look amazing on a screen like this (more so than ebooks) it would totally revive the whole magazine industry if done correctly.

Perhaps. But I'm not taking an iPad into the bog with me, when you're done a magazine gets chucked on the floor or an iPhone in your pocket. What do you do with an iPad when you're done in there? ;)

gbuikstra
28th January 2010, 07:16 PM
Probably not. I have an iphone and and a MBP so can't cant see any benefit. However if someone develops a printer that connects to the Dock port or via wifi, then I can potentially see a use for work.

samuelowens
28th January 2010, 08:41 PM
Dammit, after watching the video, I'm weakening...

These aren't the droids we we're looking for... Move along...

eaglesteve2
28th January 2010, 08:46 PM
Probably not. I have an iphone and and a MBP so can't cant see any benefit. However if someone develops a printer that connects to the Dock port or via wifi, then I can potentially see a use for work.

you should be able to print like you can with an iPhone.

iTy
28th January 2010, 08:53 PM
I woulD love to get one, but I will wait for v2. Not going to make the same mistake by getting anything from Apple that is v1.

Besides, I hope that there will be USB on he next one so I can attach my travel media collection. Either that or wait until we see portable drives with wifi

Korbin
28th January 2010, 09:01 PM
I'd get one if I was...

in the market for a netbook.

Or

doing a lot of tourist traveling/business travel where I only had to stay connected and not productive on the road, then yes, its light, easy to carry around wont really infringe on carry on luggage.

Seems this is the market Apple was pitching at.

Alas I am neither of these things, come on MBA Rev D!!

HarbieBoys
28th January 2010, 09:36 PM
I initially clicked 'No' on the survey, but having read the various comments, I've changed my mind. I think it'd make a great way to take notes during client consultations. Whilst a laptop can do the same task, I think it would a less obtrusive way to enter notes. It'd also make the device tax-deductible.

gbuikstra
29th January 2010, 06:12 AM
you should be able to print like you can with an iPhone.

But don't you need a printer attached to a computer for that?
I would want direct printing. I have not seen or herd of this yet, but if you can let me know of it.

mallo
29th January 2010, 07:45 AM
Whilst owning an ipad doesn't really interested me at the moment...

Has anyone else found that since seeing the ipad, their iPhone (3gs in my case) now looks very dated?

Likely or unlikely, I want an alu iPhone!

Until yday I thought it looked so good!

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 12:47 PM
But don't you need a printer attached to a computer for that?
I would want direct printing. I have not seen or herd of this yet, but if you can let me know of it.

I think a couple of printing software let you print directly to a network printer.

muddie@mac.com
29th January 2010, 01:15 PM
We (mYself, my wife and 3 kids) have 4 networked macs, an Apple TV and a file server in our house and we still all scramble for our iPod Touch for a quick web browse or email checking or a quick game. I will certainly be getting an iPad as it will fill the role that we have given the iTouch even better.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 01:43 PM
I think so.

Though I expect I'll wait till I see a few things like local prices, local publisher support, and a few types of apps I'd like to see made for the device.

I've long wanted a colour ebook reader and so its very interesting. Though perhaps I'll wait for the Nexus 1 of iPads.

sox11
29th January 2010, 01:48 PM
This was a very disappointing release, Apple are known for pushing to boundaries in design for new devices.....and all we got is a iphone/ipod touch stretched, that took how many years to be released. The use of dongles and the non HD screen and massive bezel is also massive blow.

Also i hope i'm not the only one but can someone please tell me why itunes haven't enabled wireless syncing!!!Wouldn't it be perfect for this device as well as iphone?

kevinnugent
29th January 2010, 01:48 PM
I have a local window cleaner do my shopfront windows. He's quoted an extra $10 a month to clean the big arse screen of my fingerprints. :)

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 02:11 PM
This was a very disappointing release,..The use of dongles and the non HD screen and massive bezel is also massive blow.

You don't thin that this screen is good enough? Which other mobile device is not a massive blow to you then?

Also i hope i'm not the only one but can someone please tell me why itunes haven't enabled wireless syncing!!!Wouldn't it be perfect for this device as well as iphone?

Wireless syncing over the air? PLEASE!! I do not have to sent potentially 64GB of data each time I do a backup and chew up all my internet monthly quota like this. Over WIFI? Perhaps, but there's not a big advantage anymore as you still have to switch on the PC, and be in the same physical area in order to share the same WIFI.

nez
29th January 2010, 02:38 PM
I'd buy one for surfing the web on the couch but not much else. Like all apple devices, it depends on the content avaialble and right now, there's nothing announced for us so I'd be unsure of it's application beyond web surfing for me.

Besides, if it turns out to be a useless POS then it would look great next to my messagepad which was also useless.

sox11
29th January 2010, 03:08 PM
You don't thin that this screen is good enough? Which other mobile device is not a massive blow to you then?

I was more stating that this was apple chance to completely turn around our idea of what table computing is...and all we got was more or less the same but bigger and i'm sorry I love apple but a new version of iwork suite for the device doesn't really make it a ground breaking device.

Wireless syncing over the air? PLEASE!! I do not have to sent potentially 64GB of data each time I do a backup and chew up all my internet monthly quota like this. Over WIFI? Perhaps, but there's not a big advantage anymore as you still have to switch on the PC, and be in the same physical area in order to share the same WIFI.

Granted wireless syncing is not ideal for mobile broadband, but i was more referring to the LAN syncing. With the way we are moving towards mobile computing i find it crazy that we are still limited to a cable to sync this device, and since the device is supporting 802.11n standards why not the speed is there to do it easily.

TheKeddi
29th January 2010, 03:21 PM
Well in the last couple of days, I have heard from more non Apple people than I can poke a stick at asking about the iPad.

I am the mac person in the family and have converted 3 members to macs in the time I have had them.

The iPad is something they all want. good for me, makes it easier to do tech help!

But yeah, even people who would never look at a mac are getting in line,

it's not a "FAIL" it's going to be wonderful!

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 03:32 PM
I was more stating that this was apple chance to completely turn around our idea of what table computing is...and all we got was more or less the same but bigger and i'm sorry I love apple but a new version of iwork suite for the device doesn't really make it a ground breaking device.

It is not meant to redefine what TABLE computing is. Is it meant to do things which table computing and iPhone does not do very well. That's a slot where all the UMPC, netbook, and tablet in the past try to unsuccessfully fill. As Steve said in his presentation, one of the reasons they failed is they tried to merely have a cheaper and smaller version of the desktop solution, which is slow and clunky, and still chews up battery like no tomorrow.

Hence the rationale of coming in from the angle of not the desktop but of phone OS, which is already so successful, except for one thing: the screen size and resolution.

While the resolution might not exactly matched the best in desktop computing, there is no doubt that it is excellent for what it is intended to do.

So, to summarise, if you try to use iPad to do the things that are done very well with your iPhone (such as making calls, as a GPS, as a camera, etc), and complain that iPad can't do all those, then you're missing the whole point of what an iPad is for.

Similarly, if you start comparing iPad with the desktop/table computers and start listing all the things that desktop can do but iPad can't (such as being able to play blueray DVD, HD screen resolution, etc, you're also completely missing the point of what an iPad is for.

Just my 2 cents.

Granted wireless syncing is not ideal for mobile broadband, but i was more referring to the LAN syncing. With the way we are moving towards mobile computing i find it crazy that we are still limited to a cable to sync this device, and since the device is supporting 802.11n standards why not the speed is there to do it easily.

Yes, it would be nice to sync over WIFI. However, since I normally like to also charge my phone while the backup and sync goes on, it makes more sense to use cable for me. So, sync over wifi is unlikely to be a feature that I would ever use anyway, but to each his own.

Japester
29th January 2010, 03:37 PM
I was more stating that this was apple chance to completely turn around our idea of what table computing is....

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this. By "table computing", you're talking about Microsoft's Surface, right? :p

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 03:39 PM
If "table computing" means the Microsoft Surface, then I think it is a completely product segment from iPad all together.

nightelves
29th January 2010, 03:42 PM
I would look at buying this unit purely for gaming. The games on the iphone is already extrodinary, imagine what they can do with the Ipad.

eaglesteve2
29th January 2010, 03:52 PM
I would look at buying this unit purely for gaming. The games on the iphone is already extrodinary, imagine what they can do with the Ipad.

Indeed.

When I saw my son using it to play a soccer game, one problem with the iPhone version is that the finger covers the screen. With iPad, there would be enough room by the side to have all the control. The application would have to take advantage of that thought, hence I can see many developers enhancing their games to make iPad gaming experience even more enjoyable than what iPhone can offer.

gbuikstra
29th January 2010, 05:24 PM
I think a couple of printing software let you print directly to a network printer.

I have seen those, but that is not what I need.

What I need is for sales people to go to a customers premises, do a Quote or contract and print it out. Obviously a networked printed is not going to be available.

peterjcat
29th January 2010, 05:48 PM
I'm going to get the Wi-Fi version and use it for a while. If it annoys me that I don't have connectivity on the go, I'll pay Optus the extra $10 a month for tethering on my iPhone. It won't replace my iPhone and I'll have it with me all the time, so it seems like a logical solution to me.

I'm really hoping for iPhone tethering too, but it's not just down to the Optus/iPhone side; Apple would also have to enable Bluetooth tethering to the iPad. I don't think they've done so to the iPod Touch so we can't yet assume that they will on the iPad.

Japester
29th January 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm really hoping for iPhone tethering too, but it's not just down to the Optus/iPhone side; Apple would also have to enable Bluetooth tethering to the iPad. I don't think they've done so to the iPod Touch so we can't yet assume that they will on the iPad.

That's a very good point. I was thinking along the lines of a MiFi, which uses Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth. Now I'm a little concerned.

Quasar
29th January 2010, 10:04 PM
Optical media is dead. Has been for a while for a lot of things.

I wouldn't say that, but then I am a BluRay fan (and don't see any non-physical media being equal to BluRay anytime soon) and continue to buy CDs as I like uncompressed audio (and no-one around here sells music in Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless or FLAC).

Though those formats are not something I use or want to use in a portable device.

rmricky
29th January 2010, 11:51 PM
no. i need a netbook or tablet which runs os x for backpacking travel. now i've turned to mb air and wait for its next update. boooo.......

gareth
30th January 2010, 12:49 AM
im not sold yet, however only 500 us dollars for the 16GB, ill buy one.

gareth
30th January 2010, 12:55 AM

gaming with the Accelerometer on the ipad looks totally retarded :)

Lutze
30th January 2010, 03:11 AM
gaming with the Accelerometer on the ipad looks totally retarted :)

Spelling retarded wrong is amusing.

kyte
30th January 2010, 05:28 AM
I'm taking a wait and see attitude with this. I was one of the mad people who got a first gen iphone from the US (via a Sydney bloke) and I love the apps we now have on that OS. I don't find reading on the iphone a hardship, its the last thing I do before sleep at night, and I've never got into much gaming with it, but the games I do play don't really need a larger screen. Those that do can be zoomed. If I want to do serious work (a rarity these days) I'll do it on the desktop. For out and about at wifi enabled cafes etc, I have been using the iphone, but I bought a netbook a week ago and will use that, too. Just installed Ubuntu on it and its all good.

I think the next generation of iPad will prove really interesting, but for this one, no, not yet.

harps
30th January 2010, 06:28 AM
I want one, subject to not paying any more that $550 for the WiFi only 16GB model.
Hopefully v2 that includes a USB point and front facing camera is not too far away.

iJohn
30th January 2010, 07:39 AM
Wheres the maybe option....

I want one but don't know if ill use it.... Recently bought a mbp in oct really don't use it as much my imac....

Also keep in mind everything other apple product I've bought i never had mortgage, now i do lol hehe. So ill think twice.... but prob end up getting one

mallo
30th January 2010, 07:41 AM
Everyone that is hoping apple let's you tether from your iPhone, if worst thing happens, and they don't, it's a simple process to jailbreak your iPhone, and then you can turn your iPhone into a wireless AP

Deviance
31st January 2010, 03:01 AM
At the moment using the Macbook when I'm watching TV or laying in bed and this looks like it would be more suitable. Got the PC for gaming and all the other intensive things.

First off i haven't used an iPhone in a while (get bored of phones and get a new one too often) so not really sure what the apps are like atm, and not really sure how well the web messengers work (have to look into some).

Ill get one if there's a good web msn i can leave running in a safari tab and browse the web. Multi tasking would be good but don't see it happening, not really keen on a msn app with push as i'll need to close safari every IM. Another is if i press the sleep button to turn the screen off while watching TV will it kill the wifi and sign me out of msn, I know there apps that will stay signed in during sleep, but will most likely be using msn thru safari while trolling through forums so would like to keep msn signed in.

entropy
31st January 2010, 06:54 AM
I had originally polled 'no' on the ipad but after a discussion with Mrs Entropy it is 'yes'.

Mrs Entropy teaches the use of (and thereby encourages iPhone purchases) of the app proloquo2go which enables people with speaking difficulties to communicate. A package with iPhone can be had for less than $1000 (even less with iPod touch) which is roughly 10-20 percent of solutions that existed before.

But as people that need proloquo2go also often have other motor problems, often the buttons on the iPhone screen are too small.

The ipad will solve this problem, and we will not have to buy new software! So will be buying one almost immediately.

mactalkuser8282
1st February 2010, 12:04 PM
This thing is going to be awesome.

I would initially buy the 16Gb wifi one if your can tether your iPhone or
the 16Gb + 3G if you can't.

Don't need a lot of storage, I assume ill have a 64Gb iPhone in June/July for all my music, so the space on the iPad would mainly just be for applications and maybe a movie or 2 every now and again.

Mainly I would use it for:
1. Web browsing
2. Email
3. ToDo's / Calendar

kyte
2nd February 2010, 07:25 PM
I voted no, and said I would take a wait and see stance, but as time wears on, I can see more and more use for it for me. And I do like the form/function already, being an iphone devotee.

Damn. Time to start saving. Anyone want a new secondhand netbook? No? didnt think so. Work intranet here I come.

eaglesteve2
2nd February 2010, 09:38 PM
Would be nice if the forum let's you change your vote isn't it?

I read that there is a rumor about a second iPad running the Mac OS. Wonder how would that change our vote.
Rumor: Apple Has Another Tablet In The Works. More Like A Mac Than An iPhone. (http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/02/01/apple-tablet-os-x-ipad/)

Edge
2nd February 2010, 09:46 PM
FWIW I have a G4 Cube and love it. I for one don't care if the iPad becomes Cube 2.0, as the Cube was brilliant.
There are a couple of important points to be made here, which get to the heart of why the iPad will be a success. But how do you define success?

The G4 Cube is still the most beautiful thing Apple has made. I am looking at one now – it hasn't been switched on in a while, due to the inexorable march of technology – but it remains as eye-catching as ever. It captured Ive's clear polycarbonate minimalist design language better than any other product. It also captured Jobs' ethos about reducing functionality down to the essentials; the G4 towers of the time were heavy and bloated by comparison (although their expandability was required by pro users.) And they were ugly; Ive changed the curtains a few times, gave them a paint job, but they were U-G-L-Y. And fair enough, when he designed the aqua PowerMac G3 towers, he was still finding his own design personality. Likewise, the G3 and G4 iMac models had a cutesy factor which has lingered through to the remaining white polycarbonate MacBook.

The reason why the Cube failed? (Please forgive my choice of words, fellow Cube lovers.) It failed because of price, pure and simple. Fewer functions logically means lower price, and for arguably the only time it can legitimately be said about Apple products, you were paying for style. The follow-up? The Mac mini. While its design can only be described as simple and functional, it does not hold a candle to the Cube's beauty. But it is cheap.

And speaking of cheap, so is the iPad. USD$499 for a capacative multi-touch enabled tablet of that size is cheap. Stupid cheap. Sure, you'll pay more for the 64GB 3G model (meaning I'll pay more for the 64GB 3G model) but it is cheap. And it is beautiful, in an inevitable kind of way; it takes cues from all of Apple's design language, from the home button and switches of the iPhone, to the aluminium-rimmed glass, and the blocky unibody sides and gently-curved back. And it is especially beautiful because there are so few external functions – only the basics – capturing Jobs' brutal reductionist approach better than ever before.

What does that all mean? How is it different from the Cube? It's all in the simplicity. Wait, what? Wasn't the Cube simple? Well, yes. But where the Cube required you to know and understand what was missing and why, and all the technical details behind its design, in order to appreciate the higher cost, the iPad requires nothing from its users. Nothing.

The iPad does not require a mouse, or a keyboard. It does not require an Ikea cupboard full of expensive peripherals and obscure adapters. It does not require a knowledge of the UNIX underpinnings of OS X, and how to run a bash script. It does not require anything other than your finger. Touch.

So the iPad is meant to be touched, whereas the Cube was meant to be admired. Just like I admired (and used) the Cube, I'm going to touch the iPad. Frequently.

Who knows what functions it will, and will not perform? It doesn't matter. That will change over time, and not even Steve knows. Sure it will play music and movies, read and buy books, perform most of the basic computer functions people think they require, but ultimately it will redefine how we relate to computers. By touch.

And if my Cube is still working when my grandkids pull it out in 50 years, perhaps the only part they will understand will be how to switch the thing on. With a gentle touch.