PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Pc

Flinders1231
17th August 2005, 08:12 AM
I have been running VPC since switching to imac early this year for a key application I have (I cannot find an Mac based replacement).

It has worked well but for now apparent reason the internet connection has failed - which is vital as i download data daily.

I have tried the obvious solutions & even did an uninstall/reinstall without sucess. In the "About" section of Virtual PC it says the following - Virtual PC Components not loaded;

networking kext
os services kext

So I suspect this is the nub of the problem - though I would have thought a reinstall would have replaced the above files.

Can anyone help with this problem please! Desperate! ;-)

964RSCS
17th August 2005, 10:55 AM
Have you repaired the internet/network connection in VPC? I have had the internet connection work perfectly, then next day no go... I'm not sure what causes it, but I have found going into the windows control panel and then internet connection, and then repair connection has solved the problem...

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but it does seem to work on occasion! Otherwise, I have shut down VPC and reopened. Let VPC load entirely before opening any apps, and don't open the windows app you use from outside VPC. Just open VPC, then open said app. This has also seemed to make things more reliable.

I have also gone to the extent on occassion of closing all Mac apps before opening VPC and trying it then... As I say, all a bit vague and not certain what causes the problem, but these few things have helped me.

Good luck mate!

Flinders1231
17th August 2005, 02:17 PM
thanks for your suggestions - no progress regrettably! Can you tell me if you have those kext files showing as loaded in your "about" section of VPC?

964RSCS
17th August 2005, 03:13 PM
Mine - both loaded, could be part of the problem

The Architect.mac
17th August 2005, 04:30 PM
If you are running Tiger and VPC 7 have you downloaded and installed the 7.0.2 update from www.mactopia.com

Cheers

964RSCS
17th August 2005, 05:38 PM
I'm still using Panther...

Flinders1231
21st August 2005, 08:25 AM
Just to tidy up this thread - I did get Virtual PC running again. I always thought my problem centred on the message in "about" on VPC - the "networking kext not loaded". Surprisingly I could not find anything on the internet about this "networking kext not loaded" message & did try the scorched earth solution by deleting everything including Win XP & reinstalling.

This yielded no progress. I was however persisting with the "shared folders" setting for internet connection which I understood to be the default setting & in any case the best option to use in this setting.

I had more or less given up on getting the network part of Virtual PC to work when I the last throw of the dice I tried Virtual Switch for the internet connection. This seemed to do the trick & in particular the "about" notice in Virtual PC showed networking kext loaded.

Not sure why I could not get "shared folders" setting to work - but as a dummy user - not going to argue with successful outcome.

:D

For the recording using an iMac with latest version of Tiger & Virtual PC