PDA

View Full Version : Can Os8 Be Setup For Ftp

jobe
16th August 2005, 10:47 PM
Hiya. I have an old performa 6360 that i want to setup as an FTP server. Nothing extravagant, just something I can FTP to from uni/friends house/etc and upload/download files. I know this is incredible easy in OSX, but having only recently joined the Apple bandwagon, I have not ever used OS8 and have no clue. So essentially, what do I have to do to achieve what I want to achieve.

I tried OS9 but gave up. I could install 9.1 but it would not let me update to 9.2.1 from 9.1. Just kept saying "cannot be run on this computer". And in 9.1, the PCI network card was not detected to I had no lan :(

TIA :ph34r:

EDIT: TERRIBLE speeling

adriandkicks
16th August 2005, 11:13 PM
If you want to get OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 to work on that you will need a program called OS 9 Helper

You can get it from free from here (http://www.os9forever.com/os9helper.html)

Byrd
17th August 2005, 08:59 AM
Fetch 4.0 (http://fetchsoftworks.com/download4.html) is probably the most commonly used FTP software for Mac OS 7/8/9, but it's not as full-featured as some other programs (see here for a review of others) (http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/reviews/ftpclients/)

There is no need fo OS 9.2 unless you're needing for Classic OS mode under OS X. IMHO OS 9.1 is more stable anyhow. Furthermore, on a PPC 6360 it'll crawl and you'd be best off running OS 8.6 which is basically OS 9 'lite' without the fluff.

Lastly your network card, is it a Commslot Ethernet card or a PCI one? PCI one you'll most likely need a third-party driver, if Commslot it should be automatically detected.

JB

jobe
17th August 2005, 11:57 AM
ahh cool. The card is a realtek PCI slot. It was working perfectly under 8 but when I put 9 on, it had no drivers associated. Anyone have a linky to driver? Off to google I go.

Also, can fetch be setup as a server, I thought it was just a client software. I would like to setup the box as an FTP server.

EDIT: ach. I cannot find drivers for this card. If I lift up the little Mac OS sticker on the chip, it says it's an RT8029. But I can only find windows drivers for this card :(

Byrd
17th August 2005, 04:07 PM
Just looked up the same think on Realtek's site, and it appears the 8029 doesn't have a Mac drive listed, the same as you found. Apple does not support these cards with it's default OS install, so there must be a small extension to the card in your System Folder>Extentions folder.

Otherwise, a generic Realtek 8139 card will also work - and it's a 10/100 card, not just 10mbps as the 8029 is. See here for the 8139 Mac drivers. (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=16&Software=True) I'd also try this driver using your existing Realtek card - it might well just work.

Good luck,

JB

Danamania
17th August 2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Aug 17 2005, 11:57 AM
ahh cool. The card is a realtek PCI slot. It was working perfectly under 8 but when I put 9 on, it had no drivers associated. Anyone have a linky to driver? Off to google I go.

Also, can fetch be setup as a server, I thought it was just a client software. I would like to setup the box as an FTP server.

EDIT: ach. I cannot find drivers for this card. If I lift up the little Mac OS sticker on the chip, it says it's an RT8029. But I can only find windows drivers for this card :(

There's a way of binary editing one of the realtek 8129 drivers to work on 8029 cards - I just got it working with a 6360 last week. I'll take a hunt around and see if I still have that driver around.

EDIT: Found the thing! It's not a hacked 8129 driver as I thought, but a driver for a macsense 8029 based card anyway. All the same it works for the generic RTL8029 based card I have in the 6400. There'sa readme in the archive that offers some suggestions for disabling some of the other Apple ethernet drivers too, which might help you. Either way it's at http://www.danamania.com/temp/RTL8029.sitx - unfortunately it's a .sitx so you'll need OS X to decompress it, then move it to the 6360 somehow.

dana

jobe
18th August 2005, 01:29 AM
ABSOLUTELY FAN-FREEEKEN-TASTIC! Thanks dana heaps! Working beautifully. Now I just need some help setting it up. I've enable web sharing and file sharing and everything. I can access it perfectly from my ibook, both HTTP and AFP. But I cannot FTP to it from the PC and if I type afp://[IP ADDY] it automatically changes it to FTP://[IP ADDY] and gets refused. Any idea?

EDIT: I assume AFP is apple's version of FTP

EDIT2: Hrm... I might try netpresenz (http://www.stairways.com/main/netpresenz) out. It says it's a classic FTP server app, so hopefully no need to screw around with anything else. It's also free now, no longer the hefty $75 price tag.

Danamania
18th August 2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by jobe@Aug 18 2005, 01:29 AM
ABSOLUTELY FAN-FREEEKEN-TASTIC! Thanks dana heaps! Working beautifully. Now I just need some help setting it up. I've enable web sharing and file sharing and everything. I can access it perfectly from my ibook, both HTTP and AFP. But I cannot FTP to it from the PC and if I type afp://[IP ADDY] it automatically changes it to FTP://[IP ADDY] and gets refused. Any idea?

EDIT: I assume AFP is apple's version of FTP

EDIT2: Hrm... I might try netpresenz (http://www.stairways.com/main/netpresenz) out. It says it's a classic FTP server app, so hopefully no need to screw around with anything else. It's also free now, no longer the hefty $75 price tag.
I have no experience with FTP server apps on classic unfortunately, but AFP isn't an equivalent to FTP - it's more Apple's own equivalent to SMB or Windows filesharing - AFP is what's enabled on an OS X machine when you turn "Personal File Sharing" on.

The Classic OS doesn't come with an FTP server built in so finding other FTP servers like netpresenz is the way to go. As far as I know netpresenz is one of the better servers, probably one of the very few too!

dana

jobe
18th August 2005, 09:29 AM
it seems to be working, I can ftp to it's internal IP however since my router doesn't support loop-back I cannot try ftp to my external IP from inside. All ports are forwarded properly. After work I might setup a temp user and get someone here to try.

Now I just have to call up westnet and get a static IP.

jobe
18th August 2005, 03:23 PM
ok here is the situation.

I can connect to the performa using it's internal IP (ftp://[user]@192.168.0.96)

I have forwarded the ports (TCP 21) to the performa.

But still it doesn't work. My assistant (thanks disko :P) tried to connect (from outside my network) but it timed out. Any ideas?

I cannot connect from inside the network using my external IP as the router doesn't support loopback and so thinks I'm trying to FTP to my router.

Danamania
18th August 2005, 03:31 PM
Ooooh. Fun With FTP. I remember these hassles.

Unfortunately I don't remember enough to give you a solution :). What I *think* happens (and anyone who knows better please jump in) is that by default, ftp will connect to you on port 21 - then your ftp server will attempt to make a connection *back to disko* to send the actual results of any commands, like directory listings or file downloads. I think it'll connect back on port 22 - can't remember whether you or disko may need to forward port 22.

That's only in one of either Active or Passive mode, though - get your faithful tester to try switching from active to passive, or passive to active.

Google for info on ftp & how active/passive mode work - it's a right pain in the bum really, and I've long since forgotten the exact fixes to those problems, only the rough sources :)

dana

jobe
18th August 2005, 06:13 PM
Well... I think I solved one problem but not totally. I believe my ISP blocks port 21 because they don't want people running ftp servers in their home. So I setup it up to work on a different port. This time, Disko managed to connect, but it timed out trying to get the file list. Do you think I need to open an extra port? I'm using 1123 at the moment.

Danamania
18th August 2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Aug 18 2005, 06:13 PM
This time, Disko managed to connect, but it timed out trying to get the file list. Do you think I need to open an extra port? I'm using 1123 at the moment.
the timing out when receiving data sounds the typical symptom of problems regarding active/passive problems. Can you get disko to try using the opposite mode he's using? (ie if active, move to passive)

dana

jobe
18th August 2005, 08:16 PM
ACH! I've stooped to enabling guest and anon accouts but it still results in the same thing. Connects, but times out retreiving the file list :(

I'm soooo angry right now. Why wont it god damn well work, it works fine internally FFS!

jobe
18th August 2005, 08:49 PM
I think I'm going to cry.

If anyone can connect, tell me. Or if anyone knows whats going on...

EDIT: Address removed. It's working. Thanks everyone!

That should log you on as guest and hopefully you should see a txt file named readme.

arty
18th August 2005, 08:55 PM
The IP address 192.168.0.96 is internal to your network. Only people on your side of your internet connection will be able to see it.

If you want people on the outside world to see it, you will need to: forward your FTP port to the machine through your firewall/router
publish a domain name or IP address that can be seen by the outside world. If you don't have a fixed IP address, consider getting a free domain name from DynDNS.org or similar that will follow the IP allocated by your ISP

jobe
18th August 2005, 09:06 PM
yeah woops. copied the wrong IP

EDIT: Address removed. It's working. Thanks everyone!

mac_man_luke
18th August 2005, 09:37 PM
firewall or proxy problem

jobe
18th August 2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be a proxy problem (I am behind a proxy). it's strange, thanks to all those who tried, the log file show every one as having successfully logged in. All signs show you've logged in but then logged out. I'm over it, there are too many things to screw around with I'lll find an alternative.

My give-up, my give-up.

EDIT: Thanks again. you can stop now <_<

jobe
19th August 2005, 02:03 PM
ok. I think I have it sorted. I think it might have been a problem with the software i was using.

SO, can someone with a little bit of time test it out and post the contents of the readme.txt

EDIT: Address removed. It&#39;s working. Thanks everyone&#33;

username = test
password = test12

ta

EDIT:... heh, that&#39;s weird. I can only get it to work now with IE. So someone with a PC wana test it for me cos I don&#39;t think it&#39;ll work with a mac anymore.

Byrd
19th August 2005, 02:07 PM
Tried it here on a PC running IE 6:

Cache Access Denied

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://test@mikael.isa-geek.net:1123/

The following error was encountered:

Cache Access Denied.

Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request:

ftp://test@mikael.isa-geek.net:1123/

:(

EDIT: On the link below, it works now without problems. The one as listed above does not.

Danamania
19th August 2005, 02:11 PM
Works perfecltly here on Panther 10.3.9 :).

a ReadME.txt file with "Did this work?" in it =)

dana

3dward_Shaddow
19th August 2005, 02:53 PM
PC with Mozilla works fine.

jobe
19th August 2005, 02:57 PM
awsome. 2 outa 3. Keep em comming...

you can use the guest account again

EDIT: Address removed. It&#39;s working. Thanks everyone&#33;

mac_man_luke
19th August 2005, 03:00 PM
Works perfectly in 10.4 using transmit ftp client