PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

darknight84
16th August 2005, 05:22 PM
Telemarketers are always trying to invade our privacy but take a look at Google, they are the biggest security threat of anyone in the cyberworld if you ask me.

Google a name and you can pretty much find their details quickly and easily.

Google Earth - can be used by terrorists to find US/Australian bases in Iraq and attack. Not only that but they give away longtitude and latitude...Why?! Major cities around the world can be targeted. Even though its a cool program I guess the guys that made this program didnt really think it through.

Should google earth be stopped? Is it a big threat?

What do you guys think about this? Any opinions or suggestions? It may be too late. :o

Disko
16th August 2005, 05:25 PM
if we close down a cool site like google earth - wouldn't that be letting the "terrorists" win? :)

iSlayer
16th August 2005, 05:32 PM
so lets stop selling maps and atlas's aswell then.

feeze
16th August 2005, 05:45 PM
OMG, there is also another weapon a terrorist can use. It's called a map, it shows you the exact location of a potential target. Terrorists could use Gregorys street directory and plan an attack. We should destroy all maps. And while were at it destroy all phone books as they could also be used to find the people addresses.
/Sarcasm

Really, the whole hype over Google Earth, is just that hype. Most of the information available on Google Earth you could figure out by other means. Humans have successfully been able to attack each other for 1000's of years without satellite imagery. Hell fly a plane over a city and take photographs. Or else just take a walk around and visually observe the target (IMHO a lot more precise than an satellite image whose age is unknown).

As for military bases in Iraq, I honestly do not know what Google Earth shows in Iraq and how up to date it is. But really I think the terrorist know where the bases are. Soldiers and military equipment tend to give that sort of stuff away.

One claim I heard is that Google Earth allows you to calculate the distance between targets and then could theoretically pre plan a mortar attack etc. Maybe, but that is hardly an justification to shut down the app. As I said before most of that information is available by other means.

And as for the Lucas Heights reactor complaining up about Google Earth, what a load of rubbish. I remember in year 11 (admittedly just before 11th September) my class went for a tour of the reactor. They took us right inside the complex, for all they knew I could of been a terrorist scoping out the place. :blink:

edit: Damn islayer beat me to it.

Sorry if it seems harsh but I had this argument only the other day. My friend thought it was funny pre calculate trajectories for mortar attacks on US air bases. His flat mate didn't agree, and I happened to walk in at the wrong time.

edit 2: Oh I also googled my name, and funnily enough my website was the first hit. Didn't expect that (seriously I didn't). http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Jeremy+Forsyth&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

queraxus
16th August 2005, 06:37 PM
There is nothing new on Google Earth that isn't already publicly available.

kit
16th August 2005, 07:23 PM
Google doesn't ferret out information that isn't already freely available on the internet.

If your personal details have been fully divulged online, then you're already an idiot. Google Earth's photos range from 2 to 10 years old (from memory). That hardly makes them useful to terrorists scoping out bunkers to see when the coalition forces aren't looking.

snark
16th August 2005, 07:34 PM
Just about any technology can be used in a "bad" way. Mobile phones can be used to trigger bombs. Cars can be driven into buildings and blown up. So should we ban mobile phones and cars? Of course not, because they provide so many benefits in other ways.

The real question you should ask is 'Does Google Earth provide more benefits to society as a whole than risks?'

the_OM
16th August 2005, 08:12 PM
Quick! Pull down all the street signs too! We don't want to give the Terrorists directions to things either.

Perhaps you should look at some of the military bases and what are called 'hot' targets. For instance, the if you look over the white house, the roof has been scrubbed out. I haven't checked others, but i daresay the sensitive ones are the same.
Google isn't run by idiots, so I'm sure they think about things (especially since they are America, and right now they are the most terrorist sensitive country around) before they release thing. Also, the U.S. gov't would move sharply to shut it down I think if they felt it was a risk.