PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a refurbished 27" iMac, but have concerns...

Ranu
20th January 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm wanting to get one of the new 27" iMacs (Core 2 Duo) and was hoping to pick one up with the 10% discount that Myer were offering last weekend. However, no Myer stores (in Victoria at least) had any in stock and they couldn't put me on a wait list apparently as they had too many on order.

So I'm looking at the Apple Refurbished Store which currently has one for 1,849 or 15% off.

My concern is that the refurbished ones will likely be one of the early production models, some of which have suffered from flickering or yellow-tinged screens:
Apple iMac (Late 2009) Issues (http://imac.squeaked.com/index.php)

Question is: Are Apple less likely to replace a refurb iMac (if it exhibits any problems) than a brand-new iMac?

Has anyone had any problems with a refurbished iMac, and were these sorted out easily?

leon
20th January 2010, 07:30 PM
Urb is treated just like any other regular mac when it comes to repairs. With a refurb, even if it was an early model it will have been repaired with newer parts. I'd grab it and see how she goes. If it has issues, then get it replaced.

Jordan M
20th January 2010, 07:30 PM
All refurbished products have the same warranty as new, I have had a iPod that arrived with issues and it was swapped over @ the genius bar with no issues rather than the hassel of returning it for another.

You can also purchase Applecare like any new Mac.

MrJesseRoss
20th January 2010, 07:31 PM
Refurb Macs from the Apple Store have the same 1-year Applecare warranty as new Macs, and you can still purchase the extra APP coverage for them.

The only difference is that cosmetic imperfections, like a little chip or scratch on the casing, aren't covered. Everything else is exactly the same.

Edit: If you're worried about issues, a refurb may actually be a safer bet, as it's put through further testing before being put up on the refurb store.

gehenna
20th January 2010, 07:52 PM
As goon says, if it's refurbished it's likely suffered a problem and been fixed, rigorously tested, and then put on the refurb store. Possibly a better option than buying one new and then suffering the problem yourself and having to get it fixed ;)

Ranu
20th January 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. Looks like 4-0 in favour of going for the refurb one. Just the sort of encouragement I need to get the credit card out :)

(will be sure to go via the MacTalk link when I order)

Nightwish
21st January 2010, 02:22 AM
+1 another highly recommended. Mine was perfect, honestly seemed 100% new at time of purchase. Only thing is it didn't come in the original box, just a plain brown box with the Apple logo if I recall.