PDA

View Full Version : iSlate or iPad?

zigzagler
20th January 2010, 11:12 AM
What do you guys recon: is the new tablet gonna be called iSlate or iPad?

Exocet
20th January 2010, 11:14 AM
iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

MrJesseRoss
20th January 2010, 11:16 AM
Also it will cause confusion in iReland. Try saying iPod in an iRish accent.

Edit: everything is iPodised!

zigzagler
20th January 2010, 11:36 AM
Agree but have a look at What is Apple going to call this thing? | 9 to 5 Mac (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5Mac-MacAllDay/~3/ar2QMQTfdVE/13160)

wholikespotatoes
20th January 2010, 12:27 PM
I think the best sounding name would have been Maclet. Obviously this won't be the name as the product doesnt seem to be associated with the Mac range. My vote is for Tablet. I hate the name iSlate (which seems most likely at this stage).

Japester
20th January 2010, 12:28 PM
Apple should license PADD from Paramount. :p

Abaddon
20th January 2010, 12:58 PM
So we started with iTablet, we went to iSlate and now iPad is on the table(t). Why not just call it the iThingy and be done with it. Or the iRate, which is what I'll be if they do call it the iPad. (I second Exocet's comments).

decryption
20th January 2010, 12:59 PM
Newton Redux

AnthoMac
20th January 2010, 01:12 PM
here are some suggestions, some speculated and some more creative:
iSlate (is late)
iPad
iPod XL
iThing
iCanvas (this idea inspired from the invite and splattered paint)

iMac Portable
the 'i'
MacTablet
MacSlate
MacPad
MacBook Touch

or something totally new...
'Boris'
or
'iHazTabletMac'

ts10
20th January 2010, 01:33 PM
YouTube - MadTV - Ad: iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE)

nibbles
20th January 2010, 01:43 PM
iSlate I don't like but apple supposedly have bought that domain name and I believe thats what it will be called, Below is a list of what the internet thinks it could be called

iTablet haha sounds stupid
iPad NO
iTouch confused with the iPod Touch
iMega-Phone random but doubt it
iBook already exists
Mactablet Not apple like
MacBook Mini possibly but probably not

marc
20th January 2010, 02:34 PM
iSlate I don't like but apple supposedly have bought that domain name and I believe thats what it will be called

You don't think they've bought a whole bunch of i-domains, just in case? Or to throw people off the scent?

Lutze
20th January 2010, 02:56 PM
I think it will depend on a few things.

1. Price
2. Family (iphone / iPod touch or Mac)
3. Size
4. Style

If it uses iPhone OS X then it's going to be an iName.

If it's using a new version of OS X then it could be anything.

If it's using Mac OS X then it's going to be a MacSomething

The factor that decides most of this is the cost. If Apple want it to be a consumer thing then it's going to have to be cheaper - and it will be an iDevice. If they want it to be a more expensive device then MacSomething Pro.

I don't care. I think it's funny when people slaver about how this or that name sucks and they won't buy it, ever! Yet we see / hear about them owning it when it does appear.

lavo
20th January 2010, 03:59 PM
iKnowledge Navigator 2.0

wholikespotatoes
20th January 2010, 11:21 PM
+1 for Boris

JaimeSharp
20th January 2010, 11:26 PM
Based on last nights click from CES when the guy interviewed Steve ballmer

He asked what he thought about the talks of slates/islate hitting the market this month

Geoff3DMN
20th January 2010, 11:28 PM
iPad is better than iSlate but not a lot but I'm guessing they'll go for iSlate :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthoMac
21st January 2010, 12:03 AM
PowerSlate?
or the PowerSlate G5.

Seriously, I hope Apple has an excellent name up their sleeves. When the iPod came out nobody knew what to do with it, the name or the device. Now it practically kickstarted the next 'i' generation.

Whatever they call it, I shall rename him 'Boris'.

Lutze
21st January 2010, 12:10 AM
One of my work mates has advised he knows what it's called..

iDon'tGiveAFuck

You heard it here first.

yinyang
21st January 2010, 12:13 AM
I like iBook Touch.

But then it's not all about me is it ;)

3dward_Shaddow
21st January 2010, 12:25 AM
Any other tragic Star Trek fans hoping it will be an Apple PADD? :)

PADD - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/PADD)

gareth
21st January 2010, 12:50 AM
islate

jack112006
21st January 2010, 12:58 AM
I have heard it a fair bit over the last few days, and it really seems suitable: The  Canvas. Lends itself to the fact that Apple started with a blank canvas for this project. Also implies that content can be created & consumed rather easily on the device and that content creation and consumption was what it was designed for.

thenewblack
21st January 2010, 12:41 PM
. . . or not.

Still, in homage to the original Apple Newton, I think the "Apple iSaac" would be pretty cool.

melbmac
21st January 2010, 01:18 PM
iSlate and iPad both suck IMO.

Particularly iPad for the reasons already mentioned.

thenewblack
22nd January 2010, 01:17 AM
Seeing as how it's a "tablet", how about iSwallow?

Well, OK - all I really want is to see a whole lot of promo chicks wearing the t-shirt.

ninja
22nd January 2010, 06:23 AM
iPlate

Gerbils
22nd January 2010, 09:26 AM
Whatever the name is, I reckon it should have Mac in the name.... and not start with a lower case 'i'.

I would also be happy if Newton was revived for its name. Why not?

Jaffa
22nd January 2010, 09:30 AM
I dunno if this has been said yet or not, but they won't be calling it iSlate or anything to do with a "Slate" as HP have just released the HP Slate which runs Windows 7.

decryption
22nd January 2010, 09:43 AM
Whatever the name is, I reckon it should have Mac in the name.... and not start with a lower case 'i'.

I would also be happy if Newton was revived for its name. Why not?

I wouldn't mind it being called Newton, but Mein Jobs would.

reemixx
22nd January 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm with Gruber. Gonna go out on a limb and say it's gonna be called the iBook. Yes, the iBook already exists, but maybe that will work in Apple's favour. A revamping of the product, if you will. The only doubts I have about this is due to how much Apple are going to be pushing it as an eBook reader. I don't think that book reading will be its primary purpose (especially not after the ad for the upcoming event, makes it look like it has more of a purpose for creative types), but that remains to be seen. I'm sticking to my guns.

I'm with the rest of you; iSlate and iPad sound terrible. The name of this new gizmo will be neither of those.

Japester
22nd January 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm with Gruber. Gonna go out on a limb and say it's gonna be called the iBook. Yes, the iBook already exists, but maybe that will work in Apple's favour. A revamping of the product, if you will. ...

Of all the names bandied about, iBook appeals to me the most.

Japester
22nd January 2010, 10:20 AM
. . . or not.

Still, in homage to the original Apple Newton, I think the "Apple iSaac" would be pretty cool.

The problem with that name is my first thought was that you were referring to male anatomy.

melbmac
22nd January 2010, 10:31 AM
I'm hoping they have thought of some kind of new, original name for it that, with a bit of luck will become the main name for that kind of device....

Think back, way back...

Walkman...

Discman (to a lesser extent)....

iPod...

iPod, although it started out as just a name, is now a word people all over the world often use to describe an mp3 player, even if they don't mean an apple product...

I hope apple manage the same with the tablet, assuming they are actually going to release one...

Tablet....

Insert spiffy new apple tablet name here maybe without an "i"...

If it comes out and is called an iPad, I wont buy it. If its called an iSlate, I most probably wont buy it, if it's called an iBook, I might buy it, if it has some cool new name that makes me sound cool then I'll buy it for sure!

Maybe not, but you get the idea.

Tigerz
27th January 2010, 08:48 AM
I think it's going to be a version aimed at young people...

iTouch Kids?

mitty
27th January 2010, 09:02 AM
iPotato.

bartron
27th January 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm over everything starting with i....originally it was for internet with the original iMac, then morphed to something else...now what...

start it with Apple....like the AppleTV....ApplePad? AppleTab? AppleSlate? AppleThing?

Personally I think all the hype over this product is just setting everyone up for disappointment.

nibbles
27th January 2010, 10:04 AM
iNote possibly though i've put my bets on iSlate. I made a nice mockup ad yesterday looked very apple like but I accidentally deleted the videos off my desktop thinking they were copied to the movies folder but i was wrong

aliens
27th January 2010, 01:37 PM
iMac II

chrissara
27th January 2010, 02:22 PM
iView
iReader (unlikely if it is a multi-function device)

dotnet
27th January 2010, 02:52 PM
I thought Canvas was the most accepted name in Gruber's circles? It would at least match the invite graphic.

Cheers
Steffen.

tcn33
27th January 2010, 02:56 PM
Canvas originates pretty much solely from a passing tweet by Cabel Sasser.

Twitter / Cabel M. Sasser: Regarding the Apple invite ... (http://twitter.com/cabel/status/7912060145)
Daring Fireball Linked List: Canvas? (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/01/22/canvas)

edit: also, unlike iPad, iSlate and Magic Slate, there are no computing-related trademark applications for Canvas in IP Australia's database.

g4cube
28th January 2010, 04:20 PM
My guess at this time is ipad for sure 100% lol i'm to funny?

Exocet
28th January 2010, 04:55 PM
My guess at this time is ipad for sure 100% lol i'm to funny?

No, you're not.